Author Topic: Unity Rally: Last Goodbye  (Read 17553 times)

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
Re: Unity Rally: Last Goodbye
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2012, 02:31:03 PM »
I'm so terribly, terribly sorry I couldn't/didn't do more.

VV... Misty... Please... Please don't think that.

You and TonyV and the others did more than anyone could dream.

Thank you so much.

We say the word "hero" so much here that I sometimes fear the word itself may lose it's proper meaning and become a platitude, a cliche.

So saying - with every ounce of the classic intent of the meaning of the word I could imbue - all the layers of meaning that inevitably accrue to such an important word.

You are a heroine to us all.

You say you're sorry you couldn't do more. While I was composing the above, something nagged in my memory. Something familiar about that phrase or something very much like it.

Then it hit me. HARD. I remembered where I had seen a similar sentiment.

Here.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHSdWUWB07c

Heroes never crow about saving the day, they are only haunted by the ones they did not save.

But the rest of us can see your heroism even if you cannot.

Kitsudragon

• Underling
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2012, 03:47:36 PM »
I second all that. What you did was incredible, and won't be forgotten. And who knows? Maybe now that the IP is shut down, it's real-world dollar value will be seen as less. The chances of acquiring it go up over time, as it becomes less valuable to the owners.

I'm going to repost something I just put on another thread. Some of the people I game with will probably recognize this, because I've been posting this around the last day or so.

===

I've posted this on a few other places, but I'll put it here, too.

What happened to City of Heroes was tragic. But it's not the end.

Our characters don't exist on their game servers. They exist with us. Their stories have been shared with us, and our friends, for as long as we've been there.

Personally, I like the player-dev endgame that was cooked up a few days ago. It suggests that a climactic battle with the Battalion resulted in Earth being sharded into three identical parallels. In one, the Hamidon of Praetoria fused with ours, and became an Ascended creature. The Battalion were trapped on that shard with the Ascended Hamidon, and trapped inside their own Battalion dimensional bubble, with nowhere to run. Who knows if they'll live or not? But their odds don't look good.

In another Earth shard, now known as "Incarnate Earth," humanity lives on. From our characters' perspectives, at the zero hour, Hamidon, the Battalion, and other dimensional invaders all simply vanished. Like they'd never been here. Earth had a moment of collective uncertainty before it finally sunk in that all their enemies were gone. The Rikti were gone, or their remnants trying to eke out a living on Earth without future backup. The Battalion had been dodged and trapped in a prison shard, the one future path Mender Silos could never have seen coming, and thus was never able to prepare for until last week. And the Portal Corps generators now connected to a whole new multiverse of destinations. Places they'd never been to before. Other worlds with heroes, and villains, and all new potential threats. Threats that Paragon City would need its heroes to investigate, and maybe forge alliances with.

And as for Mender Silos? A third shard, with no one on it but him. The price he paid willingly to carry off an eleventh-hour save for Earth's future.

In my world, my heroes (and villains) are waiting for me in their own private superbase, snickering at how maudlin I'm behaving. The villains are getting a a bit tetchy, because they have so many stories to share with me still, and I'm carrying on like I'll never see them again. But that's not true.

Disney may acquire the IP. Or someone else might. There may be alternatives in the future. Who knows? But even if not, I'll still be exploring my characters' stories, and sharing their adventures with them, wherever they open a Portal to.

Because that's what makes us heroes.

Globetrotter

• Boss
  • I am a still Hero and This is what I do!
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2012, 03:55:04 PM »

You and TonyV and the others did more than anyone could dream.

Thank you so much.

We say the word "hero" so much here that I sometimes fear the word itself may lose it's proper meaning and become a platitude, a cliche.

So saying - with every ounce of the classic intent of the meaning of the word I could imbue - all the layers of meaning that inevitably accrue to such an important word.

You are a heroine to us all.

Beautifully put to words. I could not agree more.

Gutta cavat lapidem, non vi, sed saepe cadendo.

Quinch

« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2012, 04:09:43 PM »

Don't go there. That way lies madness.

Later today, tomorrow, next week or month you'll think of something you could have differently that might have tilted the odds just a little. It doesn't matter.

You pushed yourself beyond the redline. You've led the creation of something that might give us - all of us, not just the four schlebs who decided to poke a bear, not the hundred thousand who played the game, but those and everyone else who might join us someday a chance of resurrection of something that didn't only enrich their lives, but saved them too.

What you could have done? You could have proofread my message and called it a day. That would have been the end of that - a lackluster email campaign, an act of pitiful desperation at best.

Mentalshock posited the idea. I tried to realize it, but you saw the potential and seized it for all it was worth, not just fractions or facets the rest of us glimpsed. Without you, neither Ammon or Rae would have joined with their own unique talents, nor the devs with their information.

You did this.

You.

You sacrificed time and effort, run yourself ragged mentally and emotionally to go above and beyond what anybody would have a right to expect of you, let alone demand. You inspired me to chip in, tweak, add and polish, Ammon to analyze and calculate and set business hooks, Rae to spread the word we'd need to get any kind of traction. And if you don't believe me, remember that from the first moment on, I've had the front row seat from day one. You don't get to doubt yourself, not what you've accomplished, not the hope you've given us.

I'm not giving you that right.

Now get some rest. You've earned it.

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
  • "I'd rather go out a hero than a coward."
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2012, 04:40:09 PM »

I agree with others.  You did more then others you did more then you think.  Every letter that been written and sent was because of you.  We all knew this was going to happen we said it often that NCsoft refuses to listen.  We did it anyway because it's not about winning it's about not giving up.

you Inspired us to not give up, not give in, and Not to surrender.  No one not all the superheroes in all the comics can make a human being change his/her mind if that person refuses to care.  Don't blame yourself your our WonderWoman, Your our Victoria Victix, YOUR OUR HEROINE!!

The Torches will burn forever, because they burn in our hearts.  More now then ever Never give up, Never surrender!
One way or another... Heroes will fly again!

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2012, 05:38:05 PM »
TonyV and Mercedes, if there isn't a  statue erected to the pair of you in whatever we're calling Plan Z currently, I will raise hell :-p

You guys did so, so much. I don't know what else you could have done. But NC Soft was..it was like screaming into the darkness. They were hellbent on ignoring us, and that says more about their faults than it does ours.

Now a whole new world for our characters to explore is being created, and we've marched up to frigging Disney and asked for them to give us a happy ever after.

And more than ANYTHING else, this has bought so many people here. I've met people I would never have met otherwise, I've found support and understanding in people I probably wouldn't even have known existed otherwise. I made more friends in the last three months of COH than I did the whole seven and a bit years I played the game.

Everything is really hard and really painful right now, but you and Tony were the heart and soul of Save. I honestly don't know what more you could have done - what more ANY of us could've done.
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
  • is there a badge for that?
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2012, 06:18:32 PM »
i also agree, tonyV and mercedes have been an incredible source of leadership and have given me the hope that with our efforts we are making a difference and coh will rise again

the original game may be gone for the time being, but i dont believe it will be gone forever

the war against ncsoft has only yet begun

Timelord Tom

• RIP Timlord
  • Lieutenant
    • Paragon Radio Gallifrey
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2012, 06:46:53 PM »
I gave up getting into Virtue last night after I lost the connection for a second time. I had two VIP accounts, and my plan was to have my son's of Thor, Modi and Magni Thorssen, playing out a second Ragnarok. Plan B turned out to be logging into Liberty as Devine Pixie, whom I hadn't played since NCSOFT made the announcement that COH would be closing. She joined a smallish team, there were 5 of us, for one final mission against the minions of Lord Recluse.

I had been switching toons through out the night, my main, Willowbright - my only toon to make it to level 50, made it in a couple of times, and did a couple of Rikti invasion team-ups. But it was the little pixie on Liberty that amazed me. I totally submerged into the character to the delight of her teammates as we fought the evil spiders of Arachnos. Only bit I can remember at this point was someone complimented her on her wings, to which she replied: "Thanks, I grew them myself..."

I do have her, and several other characters, saved via Sentinel Plus. There were also a few I didn't bother with, toss away characters, who are either easy to replicate, and not so high level that if COH does see a new dawn it won't be a big deal to reconstruct them, and a few that I looked at and said, meh, don't really care if I ever play them again.

Sigh... I'm planning on writing a piece for my blog on all this... the way I'm going at this post, looks like I can copy and paste this and have a good start.

So, on that note, I'll leave it to the next person to continue the thread here...

vandegraff

• Underling
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2012, 07:27:35 PM »
As I said last night before they shut the lights off, and as others have said far more eloquently than I can in this thread, you did more than enough.

And yes, get some sleep.

- Raven Herald

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2012, 08:24:45 PM »
Some battles simply cannot be won. NCSoft had all the cards.

But they've done their worst. Now comes the slow grinding battle. They will remain silent and try to pretend we don't exist now, and hope we dissipate in frustration. We will continue to hound and goad them like a swarm of flies on... something rotten, and try to force them into giving up that IP, or replacing them. Either way, we need to take the long view now.

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
  • is there a badge for that?
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2012, 08:32:08 PM »
im prepared for the long haul, the coh community is something i am proud to be part of and something i wont let die without a fight, as i see it, we may have lost the battle, but the war is just beginning