Author Topic: Post Your Letter to Disney  (Read 937 times)

Colette

• Elite Boss
Post Your Letter to Disney
« on: November 28, 2012, 08:21:49 PM »
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 09:27:35 PM by Colette »

Colette

• Elite Boss
Re: Post Your Letter to Disney
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 09:26:45 PM »
In addition, here's what I posted over on Star Trek.com.

Hello, fellow fans of Star Trek.

First, allow me to introduce myself. I've loved Trek for ages, and as an actor even had the honor of performing (in a humble but important capacity) on the shows. (http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Jack_Nolan)

I don't normally announce myself or use my involvement in this way, but this time I'm calling on my fellow Trekkers for help. I apologise to everyone here if this is an inappropriate place to solicit, but as Princess Leia said, "this is our most desperate hour."

Back in the 1960s, Star Trek was saved from oblivion through a concerted effort by the fans. Due to fan pressure and an extensive letter-writing campaign, NBC executives gave in and renewed Trek, thereby ensuring it had the episodes needed to go into syndication and find new life and new fans. The rest is history.

Many of you play Star Trek Online, and can imagine how upset you'd feel if your game was summarily and without notice shut down. Well, that's exactly what happened to your fellow gamers over on City of Heroes. Though still profitable, the Korean firm to which the game had been sold decided they no longer wanted to do business in the west.

We at the Save CoH movement are trying to find a new patron. The Korean firm, NCSoft, responded to our initial letter-writing campaign with a flat "no" and, frankly, cold contempt. We are now attempting to persuade the Disney company to acquire City of Heroes. http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,6354.0.html

The more letters of support, the better our chances, so I'd like to ask you, my fellow Trekkers, to continue our proud tradition of letter-campaigns, and take a moment to dash off a quick note to the addresses listed in that link.

Thank you all for your time and support.

---------------------

(Yeah, I just gave up my online anonymity, for what it's worth.)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 09:55:32 PM by Colette »

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 09:30:02 PM »
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Graphite

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 11:21:46 PM »
This isn't my letter to Disney, but rather what I posted on my Facebook wall for my 200+ Friends to see.  It will likely serve as my first draft.  Social Media is a powerful resource.  It helped bring down a Dictator in Eygpt and is a tool we can greatly benefit from.

To all who read this,

The Titan Network has determined that the best hope in saving City of Heroes is to petition the Executives at Disney to purchase the property from NCSoft.  A 31 page proposal detailing the games history and why the Mouse would best benefit from the sale was delivered on Monday.  A massive letter writing campain has begun and we are asking for YOUR support.  That's right, you.

If you are reading this then I am personally asking as a favor to me to write Disney.  This is not just about saving a game.  It is about preserving a community.  The most talented collective of roleplayers, artists, and writers I have ever seen have taken part in this social experiment.  Further more, it is a fellowship that I have been blessed to be a part of for the last 10 years.

It has been a creative outlet, often subconciously, on dealing with my own personal issues regarding work, the military and the deadly accident I was a part of my first year of college.  These friendships have spanned across multiple contenents and people have been there for me in my hour of need.

Now our City is the one in need.  The game was profitable and expanding.  The devs amazing.  NCSoft's treatment of us as customers is questionable.  In a sense it feels like one large family... and now our home is burning to the ground.  No world has ever existed like the one we have created and I personally feel it is an injustice to just be thrown away for no clear reason.

Disney has the tools, the resources, the loyality to its customers and the commitment to quality worthy of respect.  It is perhaps the one company that can truly Save City of Heroes.  Likewise, we are a tremendous untapped potential that could bring large profits to their portfolio.

Help bring about a new Renaissance.  Help save a City.  Help a friend in his hour of need.  We are Heroes, this is what we do.

The Future is never set in stone,

Jeffrey "Graphite" Martinez

http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,6354.0.html

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 12:03:37 AM »