Author Topic: Would you sign your name to this?  (Read 1638 times)

Ponderer

• Underling
Would you sign your name to this?
« on: November 29, 2012, 01:42:06 PM »
Greetings all!

I wanted to post my own ideas for player expectations in business.  This is a set of rules that, if players think about being avoided, ignored or broken, they would rise up and take community action for redress.

The idea is simple, just like forming guilds before the release of the game, expectations such as the one I'm going to list below will be posted in early community forums.  We could look for a central area to digitally sign our agreement, or a post in which those who agree sign on.

The core concept is that when the game is threatened by bad management or bad behavior, we would rise up to act.  Letter writing campaigns, no spending days, blackout days, there are many ways to be heard.  First is establishing what is important to us.

So I present for consideration, The first draft of a Player Observations, Wants, Expectations, and Rights.

P.O.W.E.R. to the people.

Longevity:
We the unified players want the game we play to be successful and profitable.  To this end we expect a reasonable reinvestment into the game so as to ensure its continued growth and longevity.

Loyalty:
When the success and profitability of a game is threatened, all efforts to shore up and defend the viability of the product should be made.

Honesty:
Communicate as directly and with as much detail as is reasonable for a business.  This includes available and receptive community liasons, and company policies which foster a spirit of openness with the company and its customers.

Growth:
Massively Multiplayer Online games exist as living worlds, and as such a meaningful portion of all reinvestment into the game should be directed to expanding on the game experience.

Accountability:
'Should unfortunate circumstances necessitate the cancellation of the product, a business should compensate players for real money investment.

Understanding:
Be accepting of player feedback.  The more understanding a company has of its players wants, the more well armed it is to make a compelling and enjoyable product which will stand the test of time.  Understanding and interest in the player community results in a stronger game in whole.

Respect:
When one is in the business of entertainment, fostering an open and welcoming atmosphere should extend to customer service as well as the game experience.  An expectation of respectful treatment is fundamental.

Caution:
When looking to expand the games appeal, a business should do so with a cautious eye to not unduly damaging the player base they currently have.  Any changes made to expand or alter the appeal of the game should be done with all due caution to make sure that the current players are not put out, diminished, or driven away.

If we can spread this or something like this around, it could become the seed of something greater.  But first, it must have a broad appeal.  Does anyone have anything they'd like to add, tweak or modify?

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
  • "I'd rather go out a hero than a coward."
Re: Would you sign your name to this?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 01:49:46 PM »
Look up the post called "Players Bill of Rights"

Oh heck I do it for you.  http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,5724.0.html
One way or another... Heroes will fly again!

Ponderer

• Underling
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 04:57:10 PM »
(Chuckles)  Hi there, you responded to my post on that thread!

The original creator asked me how I would go about rewriting those expectations, this is my take on doing so. :)

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
  • "I'd rather go out a hero than a coward."
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 06:28:47 PM »
I posted there first then saw this post.

Like I said any such thing is our Magna Carta and should be done up with Legal Jargon in mind.  To many things have been twisted due to how it been written.  That said I agree with the idea of a bill of rights and hope we adopt such a thing for Plan Z.
One way or another... Heroes will fly again!

Ponderer

• Underling
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 05:10:21 AM »
I'm not sure, if you knew you'd responded to me, why you would redirect me to the conversation I was a part of prior, I knew it was there!  :) However, as I've argued in the previous post, I do not feel that trying to make this a legally binding document would be realistic, if that's what you meant by legal jargon.  I stand by my writing as being reasonable, though I am very open to feedback.

What matters to me is that for this to work, we must get a fire in our own bellies.  We must choose to stand up and demand what is right for us and for our game.

Courts cannot judge the brightness of passion, for justice is blind.  Passion must be for us to hold up high, fostered and nurtured to shine bright for all to see.  We must march our expectations to the doors of the publishers and speak in unified voice until we are heard.  Then, shall the faults of some foolish few become a distant memory.  Until then I feel we must spread the word.

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 07:02:19 AM »
While there may be some fine tuning to be done, much like the MMO Players Bill of Rights proposal, this is something I could get behind and support.  About the only comment/friendly ammendment I'd like to offer pertains to Growth.  I'd be happy with Sustainable, rather than always trying to expand the player base.  If a game has a niche market sufficient to sustain it, I'm fine with that.  Tastes vary.  Perhaps in time, MMORPgaming will be more like movies, ranging from blockbusters to smaller budget but critically successful indie films.
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

Ponderer

• Underling
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 04:33:35 PM »
Indeed, my intentions for "Growth" were to actually be growth of the experience, not the player base, i.e. if city of heroes ended at issue 1, it would not have had the long term draw it did.  It was reinvesting into the game that brought us so many new issues of content to enjoy.  Because MMO's are a consistent investment, that point is meant to convey that there should be continual growth of the experience to make that investment worthwhile.

I will think about it, and see about making that more clearer!