Author Topic: 1,000 Paper Cranes for CoH!  (Read 7677 times)

LT. Couper

• Boss
  • The battle won't end until it's won!
1,000 Paper Cranes for CoH!
« on: December 01, 2012, 01:23:43 AM »
(Wasn't sure where to post this so I just started a new thread)

After three long months of crane folding, today I finally finished folding the 1,000th crane!
 I only wish I had finished sooner so that I wouldn't so clueless as to who they would be sent to.

http://fav.me/d5mr4h2

My original plan was to send them to NCSoft saying "Save City of Heroes" but seeing as
the Sunset is today, I was wondering if it would be more wise to send them to Disney
asking them to buy CoH.

Ideas please? These cranes gotta go somewhere.
"Heroes may die, but heroism never shall." ~Cyrus "Breakneck" Thompson

Kheprera

• Elite Boss
Re: 1,000 Paper Cranes for CoH!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 01:56:16 AM »
I'd say send to Disney.  That would definitely get noticed.

MakoMako

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 02:00:57 AM »
I agree. Sending it in a package might work wonders accompanying all the other mail they may receive.

Zolgar

• Grand Poobah of Plan Z
  • Boss
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 02:02:48 AM »
If you send it in a package, do something to ensure a note stays at the top. :)

LT. Couper

• Boss
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 02:47:05 AM »
Lol! Just had a thought about the note. Whats that Disney song? "When you wish upon a star..."

Lydiastar

• Minion
  • @Syntaxically on twitter
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 03:05:18 AM »
Holy cow. a million high fives. That is awesome. Disney. NCSOFT does NOT deserve something so beautiful & inspiring

epawtows

• Elite Boss
  • Mechanical Engineer
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 03:05:31 AM »
Lol! Just had a thought about the note. Whats that Disney song? "When you wish upon a star..."

Ask VV.  She's good with words.   :D

LT. Couper

• Boss
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 02:35:01 AM »
Oh boy.... I'm at it again.

Only 950 more to go!  ;D

SerialBeggar

• Elite Boss
    • Serial Beggar
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 03:19:54 AM »
Does the heat from the lamp create enough of a convection current to make the cranes move?
Teams are the number one killers of Soloists.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 03:21:49 AM »
while noble gesture and well meaning I wouldn't send a bunch of stuff like that to anyone unless the entire point is to troll them and piss them off.

It probably will get Disney attention alright...to "Them whackos. Get the lawyers. send out a notice if they mail bomb us again we will sue them for every penny they have and give them free Mickey Mouse hats."

LT. Couper

• Boss
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 03:55:31 AM »
Honestly, I started doing this again because I need to keep my hands busy in class, and origami is pretty much the best solution. And after making 1000 cranes last year, they're the easiest thing for me to make. And regardless of whether or not I send this set to anyone, I feel like folding 1000 paper cranes acts as a symbol of hope to myself and maybe others, that I truly believe in our cause and have not given up.

The paper crane legend says that whoever folds 1000 paper cranes will get a wish. So, I'll keep making cranes until that wish comes true.
This is what I can do. This is my way of continuing the fight.

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 11:43:28 AM »
I think they are cool!

Omega Mark V

• Boss
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 08:45:24 PM »
Why not send them to Google? If possible.

I'm still unsure at this point if Disney will do anything. It's still possible I suppose.
- Omega Mk. V

LT. Couper

• Boss
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2013, 09:24:47 PM »
Why not send them to Google? If possible.

I'm still unsure at this point if Disney will do anything. It's still possible I suppose.

It's like JaguarX said above. While we could hope that the people at Google would understand the gesture, we don't want any of our potential buyers to get the wrong idea and think that we are merely spamming their mail.

And no, the lamp doesn't affect them at all for the moment, since they're about 2-3 feet in front of it. But I do plan on hanging them all up, so maybe the heat from the lamp will do something later. I hope so, because I really like that idea.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2013, 12:57:46 AM »
I don't personally see anything wrong with sending them to Google. Basically, I don't think enough of us can do this to make it "spamming." Also, how would they be sent? Generally, when I've seen the cranes together, they've been tethered in chains.

http://www.soulscapecounseling.com/wp-content/assets/1000-cranes.jpg (It's a link because the image is huge.)

Also, anyone who is going to be on a TF:HM mailing list is going to have done enough business overseas (literally and figuratively) to "get it."
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2013, 03:02:50 AM »
remember how it feels receive unsoliciated mail. Especially one that has nothing to due with business and having to take someone off their usual job to rid of 1000 cranes or the likes.

Like if I have 1000s of items, and randomly shipped them off to people. I suspect some may not mind, other will find it highly annoying, and some probably would want to bash my head in. Which majority of them going straight to the trash can.

At our office, we make a list. Unsolicited first timers go into a database and send out on message, organizational wide, to ignore and or do not entertain the sender. And usually the package is returned to sender or immediately destroyed. If they continue contact, usually they are sent a notice about harassing federal government office and if they continue such and such can happen.  And I seen cases published in the Army Times I nthe past where they actually followed through civilian and soldier alike. Straight federal offense. Now of course most corporations don't have that type of clout but may find it just as annoying to receive extra unsolicited items, which they probably have enough to deal with in the first place, without notice asking, or even a warning. Now if it's sending 1000 cranes at one time, it could be considered spam too. Aka unwanted unsolicited mail, usually in electronic form but currently used to also pertain to physical unwanted mail too. 

Seriously, we already sent them a blind pitch or semi-blind pitch in Google case, lets not pester them with more junk stuff and basically adding to their workload with the nonsense they must deal with day to day.

Call them up and ask them if they want a bunch of paper cranes or a bunch of other items.

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2013, 12:07:56 PM »
Google has been out of the picture for a while now. I'm not sure if any of the Hail Mary crew have been clear about that.

Google Play closed their Google Games division, and Google Play is now exclusively apps.

So, unless you can figure out how to squeeze City of Heroes into an app.... :P

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2013, 01:04:51 PM »
Google has been out of the picture for a while now. I'm not sure if any of the Hail Mary crew have been clear about that.

Google Play closed their Google Games division, and Google Play is now exclusively apps.

So, unless you can figure out how to squeeze City of Heroes into an app.... :P
nah they didn't make it cear. Last time someone asked about it, it still was "wait" and there probably wouldn't be any information available anyways.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2013, 01:47:00 PM »
The disposal issue was why I was sticking with the paper mask idea from this time last year. It's cute, it's attention grabbing, and it's well suited to a casual toss to the wastebasket. :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

pogoman

• Vox Populi
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2013, 02:13:42 PM »
Fantastic job! I'm quite impressed! :)

LT. Couper

• Boss
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2013, 02:16:18 AM »
I think that basically, the main interpretation of receiving 1000 paper cranes,  is the same as what everyone views as "art". Art comes in many forms, and not everyone will consider it art.

In this case, the receiver could see 1000 paper cranes as "art" and really take to heart what we're trying to achieve.
Or, they could view it as spam or trash and just an annoyance. It really all depends on the receiver.

(although, personally, I don't think that it would be too big of an annoyance, since the last 1,000 I sent to Disney were stuffed into a shoebox with a letter, it wouldn't be overly enduring to dispose of.)

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2013, 07:23:09 PM »
I think that basically, the main interpretation of receiving 1000 paper cranes,  is the same as what everyone views as "art". Art comes in many forms, and not everyone will consider it art.

In this case, the receiver could see 1000 paper cranes as "art" and really take to heart what we're trying to achieve.
Or, they could view it as spam or trash and just an annoyance. It really all depends on the receiver.

(although, personally, I don't think that it would be too big of an annoyance, since the last 1,000 I sent to Disney were stuffed into a shoebox with a letter, it wouldn't be overly enduring to dispose of.)

yeah.

The follwoing assuming it was unsolicitated and or unasked for)

If someone sent me a cape and mask, I probably find that amusing.

Someone sent me a cake, even with good intentions, I'd probably look at it with suspicions and throw it out. Potential health reasons.

Someone sent me a bunch of coupons, it would be an annoyance, and straight garbage can fodder and if feeling froggy might send them a bill for disposal and trash bags and labor cost that it cost me to haul that stuff to the trash for pick up. Not expecting them to actually pay but principal of the matter.

Someone sent me a bunch of letters, slightly irksome, but might read a few.

Some one sent a box of stuff they made with paper but their cause is sound, probably wouldnt feel any sort of way about it but probably would end up in a closet collecting dust until Spring cleaning season. But may reply back letting them know I recieved their stuff and it was touchign but do not send anymore.

Someone sent a box of stuff but I didnt view them favorable or their cause was iffy or unheard of, then that would be highly annoying and might actually send an email requesting "dont send anymore stuff or else" type reply. AKA, lose my address, immediately.

While others might find all the above touching and favorable while others find all the above highly annoying and many may feel in between depending on who sent it and their mood.

Thinking back on it, if ya feel the risk is worth it, go ahead and send them all. They may get a kick out of it.

LT. Couper

• Boss
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2013, 04:25:33 AM »
So, what if I strung them all together in such a way that it would collapse into a hat box, with a "hold here" tab at the top, so when they pull up on the tab, the whole thing is all one piece strung together in a sort of tube shape? I dont know how well the collapsing part would work, but I've seen pictures on google, of cranes arranged in some pretty awesome ways.  :D

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2013, 11:46:35 AM »
I saw this mobile, and thought it was really nice! (I even saw a lampshade)

and here is a variation of the crane that I really like

and just for you Lt, a desktop (And by the way, I never new about the '1000/wish comes true' thing)

Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

LT. Couper

• Boss
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2013, 08:54:29 PM »
I think I just found the perfect background for my laptop. Thanks!  ;D