Author Topic: Call to Action: Entertainment Weekly -- Decade's Best Game  (Read 22348 times)

Impish Kat

• Underling
Re: Call to Action: Entertainment Weekly -- Decade's Best Game
« Reply #80 on: December 05, 2012, 02:29:00 AM »
Okay... I put in a comment.
But, like a few others, I'm a FB/Twitter luddite.  sorry.

Here's my comment...  I'll admit, it's a little amped, but hopefully not in a bad way.   :P

You're kidding me, right?
With the popularity of superhero movies, you only have one (lame) superhero video game on the list?

City of Heroes was the first and longest running superhero MMO of the decade.  How could you not include it?

The game was groundbreaking on so many levels.

It broke the "gear grind" mold by creating a system to build powers separate from your costume/gear.

This, in turn, gave rise to an incredibly robust character and costume creator the likes of which has not been replicated in any other game (no, not even CO).

This, in turn, allowed players to connect with the characters they created on a level that other MMOs and video games just don't even come close to.

Speaking of players connecting to their game, CoH encouraged this in so many ways: character creation, the ability to write a character biography, customized character battle-cries, player created missions, supergroups and bases (omg... the bases), power customization...

And about powers... holy mother of choices... Batman wishes he could have 1/10 the power choices in CoH.

As for content, the word "plethora" comes to mind.

Have I mentioned the chat system? OMFrellinG. In what other game can you have a dozen channels up and running?... that's in addition to the standard system channels.

City of Heroes may not have had the player numbers that some of those other games had, but just because something is a "blockbuster" doesn't necessarily mean it's a quality product.

City of Heroes was a quality game.  At the very least, it deserves an honorable mention.

Bliz

• Boss
    • StudioBliz
« Reply #81 on: December 06, 2012, 12:54:21 AM »
Also commented.
Liz

My City of Heroes shirts and stuff on RedBubble:
https://www.redbubble.com/people/bliz/collections/261901-city-of-heroes

Janrith

• Minion
« Reply #82 on: December 06, 2012, 03:09:44 AM »
Done (a bit long winded here as well)...

"Best Game of the Decade: City of Heroes (and Villains) #SaveCoH

No other game has the gameplay, engaging stories and community  robust enough to keep engaged everyone in the family from 6 - 46.  Our entire family could create whatever character we thought up in our imaginations with whatever concept we wanted and it would be OURS, rather than trying to shoe-horn us into playing a set character from existing lore (as in DCU, Marvel, WoW or the countless other grind-fests do).  Not only that, but we could play *together* regardless of play styles, experience of character "level" and still have an entertaining time.

This game has a positive, supportive community and robust controls to ensure a "safe" gaming environment.  Only in CoX do we feel safe allowing our kids to play without our needing to be constantly nearby as the community in the game would look our for and even go out of their way to help our kids learn the ropes and keep them "virtually safe".

Like many, I have "alt-itis", or the chronic, impulsive need to try out new powerset, character combinations and concepts.  The game has never let me down, and I have developed (as have so many others) a unique stable of characters (or 'toons' as we call them) that fit many different styles of play for many different needs, from solo play heroes (or villains), task force speed runners, and jack-of-all-trades utility characters, to aggro-holding damage sponges, enemy lockdown controllers, epic masterminds and high-damage blasters.

Whether we are patrolling the streets of Paragon City keeping Atlas Park free from the Hellions, causing wanton descrution during a bank robbery in the Rogue Isles, or even fighting altenate dimensional invaders in Praetoria, City of Heroes has an impressive amount of stories, lore and exciting gameplay.  No other MMO is like it, nor will one ever be in the future!"

Now to make a pass and "Like" all of those that were more than just the twitter tag :)

kbdarity

• Underling
« Reply #83 on: December 06, 2012, 03:13:48 AM »
Done! 

therain93

• Elite Boss
« Reply #84 on: December 06, 2012, 12:42:27 PM »
Just did some reviewing -- we now have 19.8% of all comments (150 of 756) advocate for City of Heroes.   Truly outstanding!
Here's the breadown:
Page # - # Votes
27 - 4
28 - 18
29 - 18
30 - 13
31 - 16
32 - 13
33 - 10
34 - 9
35 - 12
36 - 12
37 - 15
38 - 10
@Texarkana - March 5, 2004 - December 1, 2012 -- Imageshack |-| Youtube
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't know what it's like.... |-| Book One. Chapter one...

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #85 on: December 06, 2012, 02:57:58 PM »
Maybe if the list had been compiled on merit instead of politics...
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Merseine

• Boss
« Reply #86 on: December 06, 2012, 03:19:10 PM »
Maybe if the list had been compiled on merit instead of politics...

That's just CRAZY talk!!!
/em holdtorch

kbdarity

• Underling
« Reply #87 on: December 06, 2012, 04:50:26 PM »
Done!

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #88 on: December 06, 2012, 10:35:23 PM »
Done
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Vasarto

• Boss
« Reply #89 on: December 07, 2012, 02:51:22 AM »
done~

I made sure to vote and leave a message. Hope they make a mention of it though.

zoser

• Lieutenant
« Reply #90 on: December 07, 2012, 04:46:08 AM »
Another vote for the underdog. :)

therain93

• Elite Boss
« Reply #91 on: December 08, 2012, 03:15:27 AM »
I'm going to call it at this point as the awards show is on and the comment section at evga is getting overrun with live commenting
First, I'd like to congratulate everyone -- we pushed out 167 comments across the first 820 (41 pages) for over 20% of all comments.  Even with live comments during the show, we have still have over 18% of all of them.
The final tallies:
Page # - # Votes
27 - 4
28 - 18
29 - 18
30 - 13
31 - 16
32 - 13
33 - 10
34 - 9
35 - 12
36 - 12
37 - 15
38 - 10
39 - 13
40 - 3
41 - 1
42 - 0
43 - 0
44 - 0
45 - 0
46 - 0
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tommy2Toes

• Minion
« Reply #92 on: December 08, 2012, 03:43:11 AM »
I'm not watching the show but....did we "win" this?

therain93

• Elite Boss
« Reply #93 on: December 08, 2012, 03:44:55 AM »
No, Half Life 2 officially won best game of the decade (just announced).  And, if there was ever an opportunity to have given a shout out to us, well, let's just say that Tenacious D decided to make jokes about Bass Duel/Duo, or something, when announcing the award.
C'est la vie and thank you all for your effort  ( ' :

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #94 on: December 08, 2012, 06:00:07 AM »
We still made a stand, as heroes do.

And to be fair, Half Life 2 is pretty deserving of this award. Go figure, it was also released in the same year as CoH.

Mazz vs The World

• Lieutenant
« Reply #95 on: January 07, 2013, 08:20:58 PM »
So I must say this and I will take any negative remarks. I was corrected on multiple occasions when identifying COH as a videogame, many got upset (offended even) and stated that COH is NOT a videogame! So this show is for videogames so best videogame of the decade right? COH doesn't apply if it isn't a video game? So I am confused by this thread it is a great way to get the word out but it can also come off as desperate IMHO! Anyway feel free to throw your tomatoes and lettuce heads and shout BOOOOOO!! Oooo and watch the awards tonight I probably wont but I will read about it tomorrow! :)

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #96 on: January 08, 2013, 03:37:26 AM »
That was a month ago.  Dec. 7th.  Not Jan 7th.  Totally missed it, sorry, dude.

Also, yeah, CoH is a videogame.  I don't know why anyone would argue that point.  Sure, it's an MMORPG, but that doesn't make it any less a Game that is using Video to be played.  If it were the old Champions system, then sure, argument can ensue.

It's a tad bit of semantics, to be sure.  Like Trekkies and Trekkers.  I'm definitely NOT the latter, but I could get grouped into those by those who don't know or care to know the difference. "You are one of them Trekkers, yeah?"  And reverse to them Trekkers: "Y'all are one of them Trekkies, right?"

And I would not care if I were called either, much... I'd just say "Yep, likin' the Trek." and move on with life, grinnin' like a dog, wanderin' aimlessly.

/But the point?  You missed by a whole month.  Nice necro. :)

Mazz vs The World

• Lieutenant
« Reply #97 on: January 08, 2013, 04:10:42 PM »
Oh oops!! Oh well hope the turn out was good!!! Thank you for responding though. :)