Author Topic: Champions Online Salutes City of Heroes  (Read 12722 times)

Roughtrade

• Boss
  • Sitting on a Cornflake
Champions Online Salutes City of Heroes
« on: December 01, 2012, 09:14:30 PM »
http://co.perfectworld.com/news/?p=772781

This was very touching.

Dunno if there is a better part of the forums to link it in.

ohms

• Boss
    • OV website
Re: Champions Online Salutes City of Heroes
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 09:20:24 PM »
I hope some CoH players find a home there but it's not for me.

Menrva Channel

• Boss
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 09:25:00 PM »
Than you for sharing! I tried to get into Champions in early November... but I just couldn't. :/

It's nice to know we are remembered, loved, and wanted--something we didn't get from NCSoft.

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 12:24:24 AM »
Excuse me....I need to go wash some dirt from my eyes.

Lace

• Underling
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 03:36:04 AM »
classy move. Thank you Champion.

DamianoV

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 11:48:24 AM »
Very classy, indeed.  Kudos to Cryptic.

Epelesker

• Boss
  • One fix at a time!
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 04:32:34 AM »
I had already started playing CO in September after the announcement, since I knew people there. I actually enjoy the game so far.

This was a nice gesture from the community there.

Madadh

• Minion
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 07:25:53 AM »
I tried CO when it first came out, and, frankly, a lot felt like a pale reflection of CoH.  The things that didn't, felt like different style choices.  And choices I liked less.  Mostly the much more cartoony look of the game.

Regardless, it was a very classy move, and one I respect, and am appreciative of.  If the Devs there and the community there are as that thread makes them seem, I think I need to give CO another look.

Death_Volt

• Underling
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 02:16:38 PM »
Very noble of them to do this.

I'll be there lookin' with ya, Maddie

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 09:16:19 PM »
For the sake of the community: please stop the cultural "research" in your attempt to put blame on the game's cancelation.

It's sickening to see the community sink that low. It's worse to see the community does not get it.

I'm signing off and taking a break, blindly hope things change.

chaparralshrub

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 10:06:17 PM »
FYI, Cryptic still advertises CoH on their website (I just checked). It's really, really, sad, that there was nothing they could do about it.

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 10:08:48 PM »
FYI, Cryptic still advertises CoH on their website (I just checked). It's really, really, sad, that there was nothing they could do about it.

I think it's more about resume/portfolio than advertisements. But yea, nice to see they are still proud of what they created.
For the sake of the community: please stop the cultural "research" in your attempt to put blame on the game's cancelation.

It's sickening to see the community sink that low. It's worse to see the community does not get it.

I'm signing off and taking a break, blindly hope things change.

0nehanklap

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 06:43:19 AM »
Looks like I still have an active account there from launch a few years back, and it is still not up to CoX standards, but I guess it will have to feed the need for a while.  Any Justice Server groups formed there by chance?

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 07:32:06 AM »
Very classy, but I only see it as a way to win City refugees.  I may try it out, if I have $15 to subscribe and make a freeform archetype (because the rest of them are god-awful IMO).

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 11:46:03 PM »
CO has been very warm to us CoH refugees. I'll admit I still am reeeally hoping we get some way to bring CoH back because while CO is better than it was while I was in beta...

If nothing else, the sheer lack of zones is depressing.
Woo! - Argent Girl

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2012, 12:09:18 AM »
Trailturtle is a very classy guy.

And so far, I have gotten some very nice treatment there. In fact, last weekend I chatted with a longtiime CO player about COH and CO and he was a very polite and interested in the differences between the games. Today, he even helped me go through ... I'm not sure exactly what to call it as there's real COH counterpart. Let's call it a one instance Task Force and leave it at that. Not only that, he complimented me on the sturdiness of my Level 25 toon! :D

I like CO. It's not COH. It's never gonna be COH.

That doesn't mean its bad or not fun. (And yes, there are a lot of flaws in it.)

Keep yourself open to new experiences. You may find another game out there you grow to cherish and love as well.

Septipheran

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2012, 08:11:40 AM »

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2012, 08:27:15 AM »
Yeah, you can't see the whole population when it's crowded. The way to tell is on your mini map, it'll tell you what instance of a zone you're in. You can click there to switch and see how many there are total. I wasn't on over the weekend, but even on weeknights after 10 PM EST it's not uncommon to see 6 or more Ren Center's at a time. I've played at some really unusual hours and I don't think I've ever been in a que for an alert for more than 2 minutes, and 2 minutes is pushing it.

When I was on Sunday night into Monday morning I seem to recall seeing Millennium City going up over 10 instances with 60-98 people in each one.  Mind you, Vibora Bay, Monster Island, and Lemuria were all rather empty and I didn't really pay attention or see any of the other zones (I think I was in Canada briefly, but I don't recall how it was faring).  I've never done an Alert, so I don't know about those.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2012, 09:39:41 AM »
The F2P experience is really not as good as the P2P experience, either, and the contrast is even more stark than CoH.  I seriously suggest throwing $15 at it for a month and trying out a Freeform build.  I'm having a blast with a recreation of my Bots/Storm (now Gadgeteering/Wind/Electricity) Mastermind.

Mind you, I'd still go back to CoH in a heartbeat if that option were available to me, and I still keep hoping it will be.  The big problem is that it looks like the game doesn't have a lot of alternate leveling paths, especially to get over the New Character Hump.  It doesn't look like it'll be fun to go through it with more than one character.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 10:12:50 AM by Thunder Glove »

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2012, 01:48:31 PM »
The F2P experience is really not as good as the P2P experience, either, and the contrast is even more stark than CoH.  I seriously suggest throwing $15 at it for a month and trying out a Freeform build.

Here here!

The Archetype system is painfully crippling, imho. You miss out on the game's real selling point: customization.

Power coloring isnt a big deal since they only have hues (sigh, this is perhaps the biggest disappointment: I was harping on this in beta and now they have 1.2 devs)  but you WILL want your freeform goodness.

Freeform slots are also rediculously expensive - but if you primarily play one toon I could see this working longterm if the initial 15$ plop works for you. I could be wrong, but otherwise there doesnt seem to be a big loss. Their dev cycles are a bit long... its been May since the last real update (those tanks are dumb and do not count) and September since you cant pick up an object and see it.

If CO is where we're stuck for a cape fix (DCUO doesnt count) then I hope they get a couple more devs after Neverwinter gets canceled comes out!
Woo! - Argent Girl