Author Topic: A Question of Legality  (Read 2898 times)

Roughtrade

• Boss
  • Sitting on a Cornflake
A Question of Legality
« on: December 01, 2012, 11:11:46 PM »
I had two stories printed in the CoH comics.  I have the original drafts on my computer as well as the final ones that were printed.

Would it be appropriate to post them here?

Would there be any legal issues?

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
Re: A Question of Legality
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 11:18:50 PM »
Far as I know, no issues unless you sold (or otherwise transferred) the rights to anyone.
Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer; the subject is of personal interest to me foa a number of reasons.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Roughtrade

• Boss
  • Sitting on a Cornflake
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 12:51:02 AM »
Yah, that's my understanding too.  Am sort of waiting until someone sort of official posts a sort of answer.   Don't wanna cause any trouble for Titan.

I figure everyone is busy, or recovering from a 36 hour marathon of gaming until the shutdown.  When they have time is good, my hard drive isn't going anywhere I won't know where to find it.

Merseine

• Boss
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 03:55:50 AM »
I had two stories printed in the CoH comics.  I have the original drafts on my computer as well as the final ones that were printed.

Would it be appropriate to post them here?

Would there be any legal issues?

Read your contract - every word - then read it again.  Then hand it to someone who speaks "legalese" and have them read it.  If you didn't get a contract, then read what the submission guidelines were, if you can find them. They might be in the comics themselves, I don't know. 

My tuppence says that it might not be a great idea to post them.  First, if you want to get anything published anywhere else, that would be an easy-to-point-at thing for a publisher to see and make a judgement on whether or not you would follow *their* publishing policies.  Secondly, if you do decide that it's fine to post them (and it very well may be, I have truly no idea) then perhaps you can post them elsewhere, and provide a link here - that way it is *obvious* that Titan is in no way involved in your decision. 

Congrats on getting 2 stories published though!  w00t!!
/em holdtorch

chaparralshrub

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 07:47:37 PM »
Of note: Paragon published the comics - ALL OF THEM - on their website. I'm sure they're gone, now, but they had them up. Anybody could have gotten them.

I have them all.

;)

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 05:58:50 AM »
As do I!.. somewhere in these computers o' mine..

Roughtrade

• Boss
  • Sitting on a Cornflake
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 08:46:19 AM »
I have them too.

But lotta people don't.

I got the answer I wanted, more or less.  Lots of time for someone official to have said I shouldn't so I'm gonna dig them out.

This thread could probably be moved or deleted if someone wanted to.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 10:08:21 AM by Roughtrade »

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 01:21:07 AM »
I have a legality question of my own. Is it okay to post a story that includes, or stars, a CoH NPC? I made a tribute toon in CO, of a pretty high-profile CoH character, and started to write a bio of how the NPC got to Millennium City. It quickly approached short-story length, so I severely cut it back for the bio, and thought that I might post the full story here, if it's okay. (I realize that the CO toon might well get axed, but I'm wondering about the story, for now.)
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 07:14:06 AM »
You might want to read http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LawyerFriendlyCameo and related articles. NCSoft definitely owns CoX NPC characters, the solution is to make a character that references the original without being a blatant copy.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.