Author Topic: Outside the US and need help mailing letters?  (Read 4996 times)

Altoholic Monkey

• Lieutenant
    • Repeat Offenders Network - Making the stupidly difficult easy since 2005
Outside the US and need help mailing letters?
« on: December 02, 2012, 02:01:47 AM »
If you're outside the United States and want to send your letter to Disney but the postage might be too expensive for you, allow me to help...

Hello, I'm Altoholic Monkey (just call me Alty) and I live in Los Angeles, CA (swimming pools, movie stars) which is a stones throw, or very short drive from Burbank.  I am offering to mail your letter to Disney for the Hail Mary call to action.  You can email your letters to me at: altoholic.monkey@gmail.com  I will print out your letters and mail them in a red or blue (your choice) envelope to the Disney contacts. Allow me to show you a sample of what the envelope will look like (monkey not included):

So far I've had two players take me up on my offer. Please don't be shy, it only cost .65 cents to mail a letter in the envelope, shown above.  The letter will arrive to the offices the very next day.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
Re: Outside the US and need help mailing letters?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 02:05:45 AM »
Thank you so much for this.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Cinnder

• Boss
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 07:03:57 AM »
This is very kind of Alt Monkey, but I'd like to refer to one thing Ammon has been saying all along: what counts here is showing the effort people are willing to go to to save CoH.  I'm thinking a bunch of envelopes arriving with postmarks from overseas will help illustrate to Disney the size and international nature of customer base affected here.

I understand some folks don't have much spare cash these days, or perhaps some plan to send a LOT of letters.  I'd just like to encourage you to find out what the mail will really cost before assuming it will be prohibitively expensive.  I have sent six letters from the UK so far (with more to come) and it cost me only about a pound each. 

CapaDevans

• Minion
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 04:38:36 PM »
I wanted to thank Alt for doing this.

I didn't want to impose on you too much, hence my fairly brief letters, but I cannot thank you enough for helping out like this.

Financially the letters to NC Seattle and Korea and the cape was tough and while I wanted to do all I can, this made it MUCH easier.

Thank you.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 05:45:11 PM »
This is outstanding, thank you. Many of us, in the states, at least, began sending right away. Mine went out on Wednesday, mostly due to my whole house ending up down with the flu starting about Sunday, but, for many, the logistics present a problem that this alleviates quite gracefully.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Altoholic Monkey

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 05:52:52 PM »
This is very kind of Alt Monkey, but I'd like to refer to one thing Ammon has been saying all along: what counts here is showing the effort people are willing to go to to save CoH.  I'm thinking a bunch of envelopes arriving with postmarks from overseas will help illustrate to Disney the size and international nature of customer base affected here.

I understand some folks don't have much spare cash these days, or perhaps some plan to send a LOT of letters.  I'd just like to encourage you to find out what the mail will really cost before assuming it will be prohibitively expensive.  I have sent six letters from the UK so far (with more to come) and it cost me only about a pound each.

I think that whatever helps get the mail to Disney is far more important than an overseas postmark on an envelope that maybe won't be seen. It's the content of the letter that's most important.  I can put the location of the player on the front or back of the envelope.  It might not have that postmark but it will show the location. It's the letters themselves that make the impression not what's outside the envelope.

My thought was just to make it easier for people to write the letters, everyone has a busy life schedule and although we all love the game, often there are more important things to take care of. Writing a letter may be far on a to-do list. Writing a letter and sending it overseas may be even further down the list.  So I wanted to make it quick and easy, something people don't have to think about too much or put it off for later.

If we're trying to hit the goal of 100,000 letters, we can't really quibble about an international postage stamp. :)

This has been one thing that I can do for the movement that feels more tangible to me.  Sure, I can make banners and whatnot and that's real enough but to actually hold in my hands letters from fellow players and put them in a mailbox for them, makes me feel like I'm really helping. So please don't think you're imposing on me at all. I'm really happy to do it...honestly.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 05:57:58 PM by Altoholic Monkey »

Roughtrade

• Boss
  • Sitting on a Cornflake
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 07:27:18 PM »
Told my foreign playing friends about your offer.  Wish I had thought of it.  If they don't email me, they will be emailing you.  I feel badly myself, Friday I was too selfish and played the game myself instead of writing letters.  Saturday I was too exhausted from 36+hours on less than two hours sleep.  Now it's Sunday and the mail doesn't go out.  Letters are written, just need to be printed out and sent on Monday.

Altoholic Monkey

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 07:22:46 PM »
As of today, I have mailed out 13 letters for 4 players!

I recently learned that Zazzle.com lets you make your own stamps. So I'll order a couple of sheets of stamps using the SAVE COH (both hero and villain versions) banner I created.  I shall use these stamps on all future mailings, I should recieve them sometime next week and I'll take a new picture.

EbonHawk

• Underling
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 08:48:30 AM »
And once again the CoH community shows by action rather than just words what it is that makes it special.

Thanks for doing this Alty... just... thanks!