Author Topic: How did you go out last night?  (Read 17321 times)

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
How did you go out last night?
« on: December 02, 2012, 04:06:31 AM »
I thought I'd share this as the only positive thing to come out of this whole shutdown business.

We were all doing "I've never done X before" missions, which inevitably I couldn't help fulfill a lot of those wishes.  Helping someone wipe out Ouroboros missions is a fool's errand on the last day, we tried doing "Who Will Die?" from front to back but as people joined us without VIP Status on Ventrilo, that was scrapped, another wanted to speed run ITF in the last 30 minutes of play but couldn't get any of us interested in joining them.

Then a tell came out over Triumph Farms from our good friend Ultrabatz: Just putting this out there, anyone want to help me with one final Hami Raid before the lights go out?  (Paraphrased)  There was 1:30 left in regulation time, and about 7 people in my group interested in it.  We got out the gas, and ran to the Hive to get organized and start it off.  We filled a whole league of six teams of eight and we got going 10 minutes into 11:00 pm.  And the clock was ticking: Emerald Fusion led off the main attack force as we pummeled each organelle until getting to the nucleus, then the bloom hit.  15 minutes later, rinse, repeat, then another bloom. 

The time was 11:35 when Ultrabatz said over the Request channel: alright, guys, we're going for CELL DEATH.  When I signal you, bring out your pets and at 25%, keep fighting, do not stop!  (Again, paraphrased.)  While the Hami Kill Squad boasted in the past about conquests like the 35 minute Hami Raid (to be fair, being I was never in the squad and mostly a noob at the time it existed, I have no idea if the majority of team leaders were in it or not), I personally didn't think we could do it with a significant amount of us being pick-up players.  But lo and behold, at 11:43, Hamidon went down for the last time on Triumph. 

And that left us with over 15 Minutes to spare for us to head to our desired spots in Triumph and reenact the quartet scene from Titanic.  My choice location was the Matrix Room in Peregrine Island that me and my friends went for with thanks to the video that Hyperstrike posted on YouTube.  It was a great ending, and nothing I anticipated at all before it happened.  For me, it was perfect.

Was there anything great that happened on other servers before the lights went out that you'd like to share?

« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 09:38:54 PM by Tahquitz »
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

pyber

• Minion
  • Das Hamster
Re: How did you go out last night?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 04:24:05 AM »
I went out in the middle of one last Rikti Raid on Guardian.  We took our time getting through pylons, and then with about 30 minutes left before the end, we all piled into the bowl one last time to send the Rikti packin'.  It was the usual Raid madness and mayhem and it ended in perfect time.  At 12:04 the shields went back up on the Mothership, and in the midst of the respawn process Guardian went offline.  I couldn't have asked for a better way to end it for the Hamster, on whom I ran many a Raid in the last few years.  It was a tossup when I first logged on as to whether I'd join the Raid, or try to get an ITF done one more time on Radek, my Brute, but a team of eight versus a zone full?  It really was no contest, heh.

My last two shots of the night:

"From my big beautiful warlock brain, welcome to 'Sheen's Korner' ... You're either in my corner, or you're with the trolls."

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 04:28:57 AM »
I went out standing on the steps of City Hall in Atlas 2 on Virtue, fist over my heart and head bowed in the Praetorian salute. I had been in Atlas 1, but of course was MAPSERVED out of that.

I felt really bad that my villain main - my first successful character - could not also be on, she was actually older than my hero main and I felt she deserved that honor with well over 1000 hours of service. But I knew everything would be concentrated in Atlas, so i was on my Dark/dark Defender.

UberBeer

• Underling
  • BlindFuse and Lidarius, of the Freedom Server
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 04:49:30 AM »
As far as my experience went, it was similar to yours in that there were several occasions of time where I would be looking around for various missions to do. I did manage, however, to form an ITF on Freedom and we completed it with about two to three hours to spare. The timer clocked us in at one hour, seventeen minutes to complete it. For me, completing the TF was personal, as I leveled up my Peacebringer toon to 50.  That toon was my second - and sadly last - one to reach 50, and he dinged doing the exact same TF my first 50 dinged on several years ago. As far as the team went, the TF split up, and we all went our separate ways. We said our goodbyes to each other, of course. I look back on that moment now and it touches me to think that of all of the teams and TFs I've ever been a part of, there's always that sense of friendship or community. I haven't seen that matched anywhere else.

After the TF left the zone, I took some final screenshots of Cimerora and departed for Atlas Park 33. It was here where I spent the rest of the night with the players of such a wonderful game.

There were two Hamidons and Lord Recluses spawned when I showed up, so I ended up joining in the fight with numerous other Heroes and Villains.

During that time, I was simultaneously watching a livestream run by HitStreak and realized he was in AP33 as well. All the while, the energy surging with all of the commotion of the final moments  really blew me away. Anyone that was there would probably understand. There was definitely a build up of some sort that was shared by all of us. So really, all of us, the players and the devs stood atop the steps to city hall, torches, final words, and powers to bear.

The way I would define how Freedom went out would be exactly as how all of us went out. Together. Whether it be physically or in spirit, we all represented our various personas that night. It felt like every hero and villain ever conceived was truly standing beside us. That last moment was true beauty.

I would say that from now on, I think everyone will carry a bit of CoH with them as long as they remember the times they've had. It has influenced so many and really brought a super powered group of people together into a kick ass community.

As an added note, I really hope we keep fighting to bring CoH/CoV back. The game truly was unique and nostalgic in its own way.

Natural Enforcer

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 04:53:32 AM »
I, unfortunately, was not able to be part of CoH's final hour  :'(

Living in the UK made that impossible because of the time difference =[

But the last thing I did before the end was login with my main toon, Natural Enforcer.

I stood on top of Atlas and saluted to the world as a proud hero.

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 04:55:55 AM »
I was just hanging out under the globe with lots of people I'd known.
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

Hedonism

• Underling
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 05:33:14 AM »
A call went out for a Miss Liberty Task Force with about 4 hours to go (on Protector).  It looked like the person was relatively new to the TF but wanted to experience it before it was all over.  After a few minutes, I left my current group and joined him (Dire Wraith).  Whelp....it was just the two of us so far and he was having problems locating Miss Liberty...not a bad sign just solidified my view that he'd never done it before.  So we both put the feelers out and after awhile we got a full PUG.

Dire Wraith - Scrapper
Cesar Salad - Rad Troller
CoyoteM - Energy Blaster
Chaos Nexx - Fire Blaster (me)
Ultra Woman - Invuln Tank

I feel terrible that I cannot remember the three other players now (if anyone was there and remembers please let me know - no damn screenies what was I thinking?)....but it was another 2 blasters and 1 other troller (bubble?).  We had a couple of incarnates and a couple of non-50s and 5 players who had never done it before (and some of them it was their one and only 50 in the game).  I'm not one for perfect team composition but it wasn't the greatest mix of powers was my line of thinking.  1 tank, 4 blasters, 2 trollers and 1 scrapper.  Loads of inexperience.  I had only tried it twice before myself.....one failure (at Ghost Widow), one completion.

The TF started off fine with relatively no hiccups with CoyoteM guiding us through most of the way.  Then came Ghost Widow and she TORE US UP.  At first we pulled Scirocco too but next half dozen tries she was solo.  We couldn't get past her.  Did I mention that we lost one of our trollers earlier so we had 1 tank, 1 scrapper, 4 blasters and our rad troller left.    If an attack got through, most of us were toast quickly.  Then I remembered I had a bunch of team +res insps from Super Packs....used a bunch of em and we finally took her down.  Whew.  The other three AVs were hard but we hacked them down as well.

The toughest part of our TF was the towers.  Our tank was having problems holding aggro long enough for us and pnce Recluse was on us, we went down fast.  I didn't count the number of team wipes but it felt like 30.  I in no way blamed the tank, she did a great job.  We didn't have much in the way of support for our tank.....no noticable heals or buffers so she was on her own.  Sure we had destinys to buff us but it wasn't long enough for the tank.  We tried all sorts of tactics....not many of us had team insps left but I think everyone used all they had...I know I did.  We also stocked up on +res insps.  I spent 100s of millions of influence to by out the market of medium to super +res insps.......there was none left when I was done and I spent almost all of the influence I had left.  Who cares right?  End of days!  Well that didn't work either.  We were done.  We lost our steam and had just over 1+ hour left until servers down.  A couple of people had called for us to end our misery.  Things like "We gave it our best shot" and "No shame in going out like this" were being said.  After a minute of some silence I called for ONE MORE TIME...ONE MORE TEAM WIPE AND WE ARE DONE.  We used whatever big buffs and insps we had, rushed in to take down that Red tower and tank went to hold off Recluse.  OMG Tank was holding out a little longer than usual.  We were below 50% on the tower, 30 %, 20%, Repairmen being repelled fast, 10%, 5 %....it went down!  We were elated!  It gave us the juice to journey on.  We still had some of those team insp buffs left so we rushed to the next tower...it went down too.  We had a few hiccups along the way but we knew we could take the towers.....and we did.

Lastly we rushed Recluse.  He's one tough son-of-a-bitch.  We were sloooowly beating him down and then his reinforcements started to show up.  His health was rising and falling depending upon how well we could hold out against his buddies.  It was an AWESOME battle.  It ebbed and flowed for quite some time but we were hurting him.  If one or two if us would died, we'd rush back into the fray and immediately start to go at it.  It was exciting.  We had one team wipe at this point but we regrouped, buffed and jumped back in.  30 minutes left......no pressure....if we dont do this, we will never do this.....we can do this!  We HAVE to do this. The red notice came up "30 minutes left"  Tick tock.   At this point, the troller that had left earlier signed back on and she said "you guys are STILL on that TF?"  "YES!  We are battling Recluse now, come help us!"  She came fast and jumped right in.  We felt a surge of possibility.  We CAN do this!   I still believe that we would have been able to down Reculse with just the 7 of us who did most of the TF but our 8th helped us do it faster.  WE DID IT!  20 minutes until I was, by far, the best feeling of accomplishment that I had in all my years playing COH.  A few of us yelled "F yeah" or something to that extent.

I couldn't have asked for a better way to go out....on Protector......fighting a long (3+ hours) hard battle......almost giving up but persevering.....and winning!  I was happy for myself to have that memory but I was also happy for my teammates that they will have it too.  Thank you all!

After the TF, I logged in one of my oldest toons (Groovy) and stood on the Atlas steps with my fellow Protectorites for the last 15 or so minutes.  A SG mate of mine was there, Dark Chaos.  We helped start our SG back in 2004 and we were there to end it.  It was sad and joyous 15 minutes.  That final message of being booted from the server and the game will also not be forgotten for some time.

Yours Truly,
Hedonism, Chaos Nex, Groovy, Super Flu and Mentax.

blackjak

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 05:38:50 AM »
I got 'served no less than 5 times on Virtue last night. Every time I was talking with friends, once with War Witch herself. The last 2 times I hit a queue of 1200 plus. I gave up on the last and alted to Champion to fight Recluse, Black Scorpion, Ghost Widow and 3 Rikti dropships that tended to fly in the ground. I ended the night in Justice faceplanting during a Rularuu attack. Fitting end for Shield Marshal, a toon I RP'd as being a self-centered jerk who stole a powered suit and gradually found himself becoming a hero despite himself. A bittersweet end to a bittersweet night.
Virtue: Moonsun, Dynamo Jr., Crimson Fury, Sabre Kat, Double Sixxes, Quantum Stranger, Mystic Kirin, Pink.Eye Champion: Blackjak, Redwing Blackbird Justice: Shield Marshal Guardian: White Talon Triumph: Gosuto Union: Stellar Girl

rageycat

• Underling
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 05:53:40 AM »
Me and my long time friend at the last minute used the teleport trick to go to outbreak. We demorecorded the Zone and roamed it a bit before settling down. There were invisible walls to super jump over and get stuck behind. It was a good way to go i think, that is where we both started our mains.

Link is us as it goes dark
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=375540525869048&l=3e73265398

Power Play

• Minion
  • Liberty Eagle-Virtue/Power Play-Guardian
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 06:30:35 AM »

I spent the last hours with my SG and coalition partners on Virtue.  When it kept crashing, we kept logging back in.  :)  Only a few people managed to get back on the last time, as it crashed with about five minutes left until lights out.  I wasn't one of them.  Instead, a couple of us went to the Beta Test server and found a number of heroes on the City Hall steps.

I got some last screenies of and from the building that was our SGs' IC HQ then went down and held a torch until Beta went down, whch I believe was the last server to be shut down..

Rangle M. Down

• Minion
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 06:41:35 AM »

Optimus Dex

• Boss
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 07:34:07 AM »
On Triumph my main server home , on my oldest character which is also my first 50. I created him in 2004 .

mikenovember

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2012, 07:56:19 AM »
Ran into a couple of old SG mates who were running a mission for a lvl 49 who wanted to hit 50 before it all ended.  So we did a RWZ Ship Raid, then a Rikti spawn in PI.  While we figured out our next plan, we ran over to Monster Isle and took out 4 of them... After that - we headed off to complete some last missions.  The new kid dings ... and we realize we have 30 minutes to the end while on a timed mission. 

We went out killing Rikti left right and sideways as the 4 of us had set the diff to max... and entered a cave that was literally wall to wall mobs.  Smart move would have been to pull them one at a time but... realizing we had 5 minutes.  We aggro'd every last one of them and went out blazing.  12:01 hit... and we'd cleared them... amazingly we survived after several wakies and bf's, but we'd cleared the room.  I was out of every insp I had, every temp power had been fully discharged or was in recharge.  We were drained.  We were exhausted.  We were victorious. 

We were in the process of congratzing and yelling "More... more..." when we got the "You have been forcibly disconnected" message.

It was a good way to go.  Couldn't have been prouder.  We brought a new 50 into the world,

Sonarr

• Boss
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2012, 08:08:46 AM »
By not logging in after last Sunday.  ^.^;

-Sonarr

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2012, 03:55:46 PM »
I went out in the middle of one last Rikti Raid on Guardian.  We took our time getting through pylons, and then with about 30 minutes left before the end, we all piled into the bowl one last time to send the Rikti packin'.  It was the usual Raid madness and mayhem and it ended in perfect time.  At 12:04 the shields went back up on the Mothership, and in the midst of the respawn process Guardian went offline.  I couldn't have asked for a better way to end it for the Hamster, on whom I ran many a Raid in the last few years.  It was a tossup when I first logged on as to whether I'd join the Raid, or try to get an ITF done one more time on Radek, my Brute, but a team of eight versus a zone full?  It really was no contest, heh.

I was on Guardian as well, in RWZ, having taken my place there with Pakfront, the AR/EM Blaster that was the first character I'd created (May 8, 2004), making sure I got there before the population started spilling over into RWZ 2 and RWZ 3; we started our ship raid at about 2330, and were still in the bowl fighting when the shutdown happened. There were so many effects going at the disconnect that I didn't get the "you have been forcibly disconnected from the server" window -- my client just locked up and had to be forcex'ed.

UberGuy

• Underling
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2012, 06:10:34 PM »
I was madly trying to combine several activities in the days leading up to the sunset.

• Preserve intensely detailed records of my characters.
  • Complete as many badges on my designated badger as I could, something I had been slack about because I had time, right?
  • Complete as many of the story arcs I had not done. I was prone to log in my 50s and just run TFs, trials or just go beat on stuff in existing level 50 content rather than sit down and pay attention to new arcs. Again, it was something I was going to get around to.
  • Preserve info from the main forums
Because these were high bars, I was cramming stuff in up till the very last hour, having slept very little over the last three days. Finally, I decided I needed to call it where things were, switched to my most-played character, and joined Atlas Park six or seven so on Justice. Sadly, all the people I knew who had also gone to Atlas were in earlier zone instances, and there were no devs doing cool stuff in my instance. I was FRAPSing the whole time, and so was able to capture the LCtMS message on the last frame of the movie.

The image below is a link to the full-size version.

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2012, 06:24:47 PM »
All of these posts have pretty great salutes. That's dedication for you.

There was so much to this game, 6 years of missions and I had still not experienced everything it offered.

Feycat

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2012, 06:47:06 PM »
I went out on my original character and longtime main, Trillium.

I went out flying. I didn't want to just sit in the remade AP - frankly, the only emotional resonance the new AP had for me is grinding tip missions in it for HMs over and over.

I just flew from zone to zone, hitting the tops of buildings we used to RP on, seeing all the spots I used to do missions in (that ass-end of King's Row that only had like 10 Lost in it, when you HAD to take a mission there to hunt 50? lol Perez Park! Nemesis on the Peregrine Island docks!) and looking at my character and how grateful I was for the things added to the game that made her look RIGHT - her feathery wings, her horse-legs, that swishy tail (you'd have to know Trillium to understand.) Remember how hard we fought for capes to get added to the game, and when debt would max out like 3 levels deep and it took over a year to hit 50, and how thrilled everyone was when the tailors were added so you didn't need to totally reroll your character if your color selection was off in the real world.

All those places. All those people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QXnKQ3jmAw&list=FL9czocSMJn6w11Yae0fOX1g&index=1&feature=plpp_video - Leandro made me, my best friend (who I met in COH 8 years ago) and my husband this video of all our active characters. It's too hard to believe that this and my screenshots are all I have. Screenshots will never encompass how much fun it was to throw dudes up into the ceiling with the combo of my Mind/Storm Controller and my husband's SS Tanker. Or a whole mission that four friends and I spent throwing CoT up against the electric zone wall in a mission. I have a LOT of screenshots of that.

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2012, 06:56:44 PM »
Alt hopped for a little bit, then i transferred my Plant/Dark Controller to Champion, joined a successful if chaotic Hami raid, ended up running a KHHHAAANNN TF about an hour before shutdown, and then spent the last twenty minutes or so hanging around in AP3 chatting with friends. Logged off about ten minutes before final shutdown after saying goodbye on all my global channels since i was already nodding off at the keyboard and had to get up for work in several hours.
While i certainly hope CoH rises again i have more than enough stuff to keep me busy otherwise. Like reviving the tabletop gaming group. Still, i really miss being able create every bizarre and amusing character concept that popped into my head whenever i wanted.

Edit: *huh* i did not realize this was the first time i've ever posted on the Titan Forums. i've been using the other features for years and occasionally reading the forums, but didn't realize i'd never actually posted.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Traybor

• Underling
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2012, 07:49:33 PM »
Earlier in the day I knocked off a few Malta missions on my Fire Blaster and picked up another bubble on his way to (and never to be reached) level 47.  Later in the day, I got a chance to participate in a Rikti invasion of Talos which was pretty cool.

When it came to the very end, I hadn't planned on being online.    But I found I was still up with 10 minutes or so to the end, so I logged on my main on Triumph and joined the crowd gathered in Atlas Park.  While reading the final farewells, I overheard a citizen being robbed by a Hellion.  I arrested him and his cohort with extreme prejudice, and the citizen ran up to me saying, "Oh thank you, you arrived just in time!"  Lady, you didn't know the half of it.  Moments later came the Mapserver disconnect, and I so had ended my COH career pretty much as it had begun: saving the citizens of Paragon City.