Author Topic: Maybe....Oprah could help? lol  (Read 5955 times)

Vasarto

• Boss
Maybe....Oprah could help? lol
« on: December 02, 2012, 06:09:19 AM »
Well for the Project here..I mean its very unlikely but what the heck right? I mean we all know that she loves to pay attention to tons of different people and walks of life and help fight many different causes out there.

Contact Oprah here!
https://www.oprah.com/ownshow/plug_form.html?plug_id=505

Basically My plan is to have her somehow help spread our word and maybe this will DEFINABLY get the attention of Disney if a single word has gotten out to the media that she has responded our call to action.

What we need is for you guys to simply go to this site and write a 2000 character page to her explaining what has happened and why City of heroes was important to you and why we are doing this. End it with something like what I did.

The Heroes of our City were called to action and failed to save our city. Now we are calling YOU to action!
Will you answer the call and save our community?

If we send enough letters I KNOW she has got to pay attention to them and if her team of people keep seeing these letters and responding to them then I know it will get her attention and getting the attention of a Media Celebrity Super Nova like Oprah will increase the Hail Mary Project x100%
Remember its not just reaching the nerds and geeks and a few thousand Comic book fans and fans of our games. Its reaching and touching the world. Oprah's influence is far greater than any influence our characters had in the game lol....

I know it may sound like a stretch but I believe fully that this will drastically increase our chance because if one of her people see's only my letter...chances are just a auto response. If there are like 50 of these or 100 of these or 1000 of these than that increases our chances of the notice GREATLY!

So I call you to action my fellow heroes and villains, My Preatorians and my Rogues.

Will you Answer your call to action? Will you? 

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
Re: Maybe....Oprah could help? lol
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 06:24:29 AM »
Actually, unfortunately, the one of us who has the best shot of piquing their interest is VV. There are a couple of folks (at random from the many on "Testimonials" and "Voices") who could probably join her, but she's probably the most likely to keep their attention after they see what we're trying to do. I don't watch Oprah, but I pay attention to her, and, yes, all sorts of people from all walks of life have interesting stories to tell on her show. This one isn't going to get her/their attention coming from just anyone, though.  Not to say it isn't a good idea, because it is.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 06:46:53 AM »
I appreciate that you guys think I'm all that and a bag of chips, but I am a bug on the rug compared to the people Oprah gets for her show.  Stephen Spielberg, Daniel Day-Lewis, Justin Bieber....she has HUGE stars competing to get interviewed her.  Unless I single-handedly flew a balloon across the Atlantic I'm not on the Oprah radar.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Vasarto

• Boss
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 07:00:04 AM »
Well could not hurt to send a letter from you as well!

Cinnder

• Boss
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 07:05:24 AM »
You heard it straight from the source -- time to start a fund drive to buy VV a balloon!

Tanglefoe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 07:25:29 AM »
Getting VV on a balloon was actually kinda what I was thinking.

Vasarto

• Boss
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 07:27:29 AM »
OK! I have Five dollars!.....well I am kinda broke but your welcome to it!

P51mus

• Boss
  • aka Pitho
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 08:26:24 AM »
Didn't Oprah's show end last year?  Not sure what else she's doing now.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 09:15:52 AM »
Didn't Oprah's show end last year?  Not sure what else she's doing now.

She seems to have a weekly interview show on Sunday now.  Way less work than a daily show.

I will certainly send a letter.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Quinch

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 11:14:18 AM »
I don't see how it could hurt. I haven't watched TV in just about forever, though, and she was never really the kind of huge hit in this corner of the universe as she is in the states - what would be a good thing to emphasize?

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 05:53:16 PM »
There are definitely enough stories on the Testimonials and Voices threads to make the case, but a name attached to it looks to me like the "hook" that would keep Screening Intern #3 reading past any description of the game, itself. It's not coming from a place of adulation or sychophancy, but one of cynical pragmatism. I'm by no means trying to foist anything onto your shoulders, particularly after what you have shown your willingness to put there on your own.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 09:08:26 PM »
What's Oprah's take on video games? She takes me as the type who sees them as more of a negative influence on society.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2012, 09:43:10 PM »
That is the question. I think she will cover it if the story is interestign enough. Now I know of course this is a very riveting story to us, gamers, and how a corporation closed a product we invested heavily in without warning but when it boils down to that level of Oprah, how does this appeals to the worldwide audience. People that dont play video games, people who think video games are something that people do when they should be doing something else. And what angle should be the attack? Should it go that we invested countless hours in a video game instead of spending those hours, and money either on family or investments that can grow? Is that the angle we want?

Last time I say anything about video games on Oprah was once when she had a psycologist on there talking about the harm of video games and the audience was eating it up. Then the other time was wit hthat Dr Phil dude and some teenager talking about how video games was his escape and how it helped him through the tough times while it was viewed as not healthy and that the teenager basically alienated everyone in his life while devoting time to video games. Asa gamer, I understood that teenager but to the audience, it was a teenager who was addicted to games and throwing his life away aka unhealthy behavior.

I think that if we are goign to go this route, then we should go at an angle of how companies exhibit this behavior often and this just so happen to be a video game but a product that people invest in nonetheless. Or somethign along those lines. Last thing we need is for Oprah to really do pick up on this situation and it get turned into a group of gamers just pissed off because someone took their toy away. Then at that point, we might as well hang it up on looking for any outside support for our cause outside the gaming world. All Im saying is that make sure the angle is something that people that is outside COX players can relate to or else we will come off as just merely whining gamers that should be doing something more constructive instead of belly aching over a closed game. We all here of course know it's about more than that but we have to convey that to the general population if we are goign to go this route.

While contacting Oprah about this is a good idea, I wonder if we think we can get Oprah to cover this, what happened to all the other media stuff? I mean I havent seen much outside that small iCNN article, which seemed to be buried and not even really accessible unless you already knwo it exist, and nothing on ABC, Fox, and other major new outlet but we are going to tackle the biggest most influential media personality out there yet couldnt get the smaller ones outside the gaming world to pick it up? Man, one thing is for sure, you all have some huge balls. I say go for it.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 04:09:54 AM »
Well the best thing we could do would be to get the Testimonials folks to resend their letters to Oprah, rather than me writing.  I could be seen as trying to get myself some Oprah publicity for myself; they are truly and sincerely telling how the game was helping them and their children.

Still this is even more of a long shot than the Disney pitch.  She doesn't have her talk show format anymore, she has an interview show where she interviews a couple of celebrities.  I'm not big enough to count as a celebrity, and I don't know how this would get her audience share.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 04:39:12 AM »
Locking topic, OP would like comments redirect to their main thread: http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,6638.0.html
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal