Author Topic: Stephen Colbert?  (Read 19190 times)

kalynnda13

• Minion
Stephen Colbert?
« on: December 02, 2012, 03:15:54 PM »
The mention of Oprah got me thinking. Stephen Colbert, of Comedy Central's Colbert Report, plays a conservative who loves America (with a tongue in cheek). I can easily see him giving a "wag of the finger" to NCsoft...a foreign corporation dumping a wholesome Superhero game. Hopefully he'd mention the plan to get Disney to buy CoH. He has a LOT of fans.If even HALF of them wrote to Disney...

Even if it didn't get on the show...if it showed up on his website, it would probably generate a fair amount of interest.

http://www.colbertnation.com/
If you would like to write Stephen, you can mail etters to:

Stephen Colbert
c/o The Colbert Report
Comedy Central
513 West 54th Street
New York, NY 10019

Phone: 212-262-6033

Comedy Central can be contacted via website feedback at
http://www.comedycentral.com/help/website-feedback

Roughtrade

• Boss
  • Sitting on a Cornflake
Re: Stephen Colbert?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 06:58:07 PM »
This Is Awesomecauce!

I should have thought of it.

Colbert is a huge Geek.  When still on The Daily Show, they had Viggo Mortensen on for an interview.  Colbert came out, interrupting, and genuflected to him.  Mortensen gave him a replica of Aragorn's sword.

Also...

On his own show, after Marvel Comics had Captain America assassinated, two of the managing editors (I cannot remember which ones) came on the show and gave him a replica of Captain America's shield.  (Actually claiming it was the 'real' shield)  They said that Captain America realized that Stephen Colbert was the only true American worthy to carry the shield after his death and left it to Stephen in his will.  You can still see it on the set.

This could be a very good idea if we can impress him with how much we care.

Posted to the Colbert Nation FB page.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 07:09:33 PM by Roughtrade »

CrimsonCapacitor

• Captain of the Hard Ship
  • Boss
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 10:04:49 PM »
I tried a few months ago on twitter to get interest....  Nothing happened, but I still think it's a great idea.

Colbert is also a HUGE LOTR fan.  Don't know if that gives us an opening, but it's out there.
Beware the mighty faceplant!

Jordan_Lee

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 10:40:06 PM »
I totally support this, once it was mentioned I remembered his Captain America thing and I wish someone had said something months ago because I can totally imagine him doing a segment on this. However, at the same time, CoH isn't mainstream enough to do much.

Other people have mentioned Big Bang Theory, because they have CoH items on the show.

But whatever, next letter writing campaign, I'm all for it.

Vasarto

• Boss
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 03:05:09 AM »
I am on board! Gonna send him a letter too!

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 03:54:15 AM »
Colbert is an excellent choice, the man is a huge geek.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Roughtrade

• Boss
  • Sitting on a Cornflake
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 06:13:51 AM »
I am on board! Gonna send him a letter too!
Nothing against letters, but a Tweet to him personally or The Colbert Nation, or pinging their FB page might be more useful.

Both Twitter Account addresses can be found on the Colbert Nation Comedy Central Home Page
And as such I do not feel it is 'harassment' to tweet at him.

The Colbert Report is produced on a daily turnaround.  It's immediate.  If we can get their attention, and they can make it funny, it has a really good chance.  I suggest mentioning Stephen's own Super Hero Super Spy; Tek Jansen.  Also throw in something about how North Korea is part of the Axis of Evil.  I know NC Soft isn't North Korean, but there is pretty much a running joke on the show about how fuzzy Stephen is about any geography outside of America. 

Getting him to say something about the letter writing on Face Book or tweeting would be wonderful.  He has a tremendously huge following.  Getting him to mention it on his show would be even better, too much to hope for, but if we could pull it off it would certainly be something that Disney could not ignore.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 06:19:15 AM »
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 06:25:06 AM »
The mention of Oprah got me thinking. Stephen Colbert, of Comedy Central's Colbert Report, plays a conservative who loves America (with a tongue in cheek). I can easily see him giving a "wag of the finger" to NCsoft...a foreign corporation dumping a wholesome Superhero game. Hopefully he'd mention the plan to get Disney to buy CoH. He has a LOT of fans.If even HALF of them wrote to Disney...

Even if it didn't get on the show...if it showed up on his website, it would probably generate a fair amount of interest.

If you would like to write Stephen, you can mail etters to:

Stephen Colbert
c/o The Colbert Report
Comedy Central
513 West 54th Street
New York, NY 10019

Phone: 212-262-6033

Comedy Central can be contacted via website feedback at
http://www.comedycentral.com/help/website-feedback

Great idea!  I'll write to him.  If memory serves, Stephen Colbert's leagion of fans, Colbert Nation, got NASA to name a satelite after him.  http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/220492/march-03-2009/space-module--colbert---name-nasa-s-node-3-after-stephen  If he backs it, that could potentially swell the numbers of letter-writers!
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

Roughtrade

• Boss
  • Sitting on a Cornflake
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 06:27:57 AM »
Use whatever you want.

I'm pretty sure the On Air Stephen Colbert wont know what that word means.  Which might be funny enough to get the writing staff to do a segment.

My only real consideration is to do it fast.  I was using #SaveCoH because it is already out there and because it's short so I could say more in the message.  I only used twitter once before this and have no idea how the hashtag thing works or if it counts against your allowed characters.

I just want the intern who comes in Monday Morning to go through the weekend Tweets from Colbert Nation to have enough CoH tweets to make it worth mentioning to the rest of the staff.

Roughtrade

• Boss
  • Sitting on a Cornflake
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 06:31:26 AM »
Great idea!  I'll write to him.  If memory serves, Stephen Colbert's leagion of fans, Colbert Nation, got NASA to name a satelite after him.  http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/220492/march-03-2009/space-module--colbert---name-nasa-s-node-3-after-stephen  If he backs it, that could potentially swell the numbers of letter-writers!
He also almost got a bridge in Romania named after him and was almost voted in as the official Tweetspokseman for Sweeden.  At his command, the Colbert Nation has crashed numerous pages on Wikipedia, like the time he declared that African Elephants had made a comeback and were now a nuisance to people in South Africa so they went to work writing up about Elephant invasions in Johannasburg. 

He has fun and his 'Colbert Bump' is pretty awesome in scope. 

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 08:22:47 AM »
All good ideas.  Tweet the heck out of him.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 08:54:05 AM »
Send him a picture of Statesman too, he has the sort of iconic American patriot outfit that Colbert loves. Then say he was eaten by a bear. After all, bears are godless killing machines. Especially foreign bears. ;)

Wait... a foreign company whose corporate policy is to chew up and spit out patriotic American superheroes, and replace them with weird little jigglyboob stripper elves... man, when you say it like that it really does sound like a story he'd run!

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 10:50:22 AM »
If we could get Stephen Colbert on our side that would be fantastic.  That man can get just about anything done, he has more or less an army of fans all of which have proven before that if he asks them to do something, they generally do it.  As a big fan of the show I have seen on several separate occasions when he does his calls to actions per say say, and he almost always gets results.

DJMoose

• Missing His Jeep
  • Boss
  • To believe in the heroic makes heroes.
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 11:02:09 PM »
a foreign company whose corporate policy is to chew up and spit out patriotic American superheroes, and replace them with weird little jigglyboob stripper elves... man, when you say it like that it really does sound like a story he'd run!
This sounds EXACTLY like something he would run!
Serkana The Wise
Primal Praetorian

Vasarto

• Boss
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2012, 12:49:16 AM »
You guys might think this is a coincidence but the super Group I BELONGED TO was the COLBERT NATION!

So maybe if we mention that he has his own Super Group in the game he might want to help?

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2012, 02:16:15 AM »
You guys might think this is a coincidence but the super Group I BELONGED TO was the COLBERT NATION!

So maybe if we mention that he has his own Super Group in the game he might want to help?

Excellent plan.  EVIL KOREANS DESTROYED HIS SUPER GROUP!

Vasarto

• Boss
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2012, 03:00:58 AM »

Now we just need to figure out how the heck to get a hold of him lol.

Christine

• Underling
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2012, 11:46:48 AM »
I sent a letter back in September, no reply. Maybe now that the election hoopla is over, further attempts would have a better chance.

-- C.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2012, 02:29:20 PM »
Um, he's devoting a week to The Hobbit, so I think we might have a better chance, now. :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

kalynnda13

• Minion
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2012, 08:51:02 PM »

Timelord Tom

• RIP Timlord
  • Lieutenant
    • Paragon Radio Gallifrey
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2012, 12:59:41 AM »

LMAO... Thank you VV. Laughed so hard at that I now have the hiccups.

Quick... somebody scare me.

CrimsonCapacitor

• Captain of the Hard Ship
  • Boss
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2012, 04:31:29 PM »
Couldn't resist.  Sent out this tweet:

@StephenAtHome korean company out to destroy/replace patriotic American superheroes with weird little jigglyboob stripper elves! #SaveCOH

Surely that's worth a glance, right?
Beware the mighty faceplant!

mikoroshi

• Boss
  • Author, Owner of Dogs
    • My Twitter
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2012, 06:06:13 PM »
I sent him, " @StephenAtHome Evil Korean games company destroying American jobs and killing off patriotic superheroes! #savecoh #remembercoh #avengecoh "
If you see me posting here, you need to tell me to stop it and get back to writing.

Tanglefoe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2012, 11:45:32 PM »
Those last 2 made me laugh so hard! ;D

Vasarto

• Boss
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2012, 12:37:44 AM »
Evil Koreans KILLED Your Super Hero Group the Colbert Nation! Help Spread the word anyway you can plz!
http://www.cohtitan.com

Edit

How much of an amazing thing would it be for us if he commented about this on his show?

Archlight

• Minion
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2012, 06:20:57 PM »
Evil Korean company destroys a City in Rhode Island. That should get his commentary going.

Roughtrade

• Boss
  • Sitting on a Cornflake
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2012, 11:08:27 PM »
Evil Korean company destroys a City in Rhode Island. That should get his commentary going.
It's Friday, no show tonight.

It's possible with this week being devoted to Tolkien, his staff just didn't want to geek out any further.  I suggest we try to get a mass tweet campaign going for Sunday.  Something to the Colbert Nation Twitter account, so that when the intern who has the job of reading it in the morning comes in on Monday, they have a big block of tweets.  Something that gets noticed. 

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2012, 12:31:12 AM »
I'm on board, but, having no idea how many of the registered members are reading this, we're going to have to work hard to make ourselves heard above the usual noise of the Colbert Nation.

Roughtrade

• Boss
  • Sitting on a Cornflake
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2012, 02:49:45 AM »
I figure on putting a note in the other Twitter Blitz threads on Saturday night/ Sunday morning.    It's one of those things that (In My Opinion) we don't want to do too early because I'd rather have it be up front Monday Morning when they come into work.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2012, 10:18:47 AM »
Put in an alert on this over on the SaveParagon main board as well.  Larry says this is sheer brilliance.

Roughtrade

• Boss
  • Sitting on a Cornflake
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2012, 06:54:25 PM »
Put in an alert on this over on the SaveParagon main board as well.  Larry says this is sheer brilliance.
Ayuh!

Vasarto

• Boss
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2012, 10:17:51 PM »
YAY!

Well all in all I guess we have my friend to thank for creating the super group to begin with lol.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2012, 07:49:21 AM »
Just a note, the major force of his fandom is now dedicated to getting him appointed as replacement senator for South Carolina. While he probably won't be appointed, that is where the focus is now in Colbert Nation. Not sure if anything Save CoH related will really make waves with the general populace right now, so it may be best to wait a bit until the Senate furor dies down.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2012, 09:02:24 AM »
Nah , we should go ahead.  The Colbert Nation, unlike the fans of other fake news, are actually able to think about more than one thing at a time.

Roughtrade

• Boss
  • Sitting on a Cornflake
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2012, 10:13:16 PM »
Just a note, the major force of his fandom is now dedicated to getting him appointed as replacement senator for South Carolina. While he probably won't be appointed, that is where the focus is now in Colbert Nation. Not sure if anything Save CoH related will really make waves with the general populace right now, so it may be best to wait a bit until the Senate furor dies down.
It is a sad truth that, yes, Jim DeLint stepping down is captivating his Twitter Feed and added to that, North Korea announced they discovered Unicorns.  So another Korean/Twitter-ish thing may not fit.  Then again, they may make an association I don't see and find something funny.

We can only do our best to get noticed, and more pinging them means more chance of being noticed.  If it doesn't  happen before they shut down production for the year then we just get ready to try and be the first thing he notices next year. 

There are also other media targets out there.  GU Comics, PvP Online, Penny Arcade, Nodwick.  All of those are Online Comics that use the Gaming Community as a focus.  Nodwick's characters appeared in the CoH Comics as a back up feature.  PvP Online's cast played CoH regularly and one of his characters, The LolBat, came out of a CoH arc in his comic.  Join their forums, see if we can dig up some chatter.  This doesn't end until we call it quits. 

GU Comics
http://www.gucomics.com/comic/
Focused mostly on Gamer Industry and Community humor.  Has done several bits on CoH

PVP Online
http://www.pvponline.com/
A Comic about an office that works on a Gamer Magazine.  Lots of personal storylines, but they are all Gamers and had several arcs about CoH.

Penny Arcade
http://www.penny-arcade.com/
More NSFW than the others.  If cursing bothers you, probably won't like them.  But they are another Gamer focused comic with a large fan base and active forums.  Also responsible for starting Child's Play, one of the largest Gamer Charity Fund Raisers. 

Nodwick
http://www.nodwick.com/
Began as a pretty much D&D comic, and a long running one in Dragon Magazine.  He did several comics about CoH.  No forums, but you can email from a link on his main page and see if we can get his support.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2012, 01:02:10 AM »
Just repeating:

Nah , we should go ahead.  The Colbert Nation, unlike the fans of other fake news, are actually able to think about more than one thing at a time.

The Colbert thing we have going over on Save Paragon is Colbert-Nation Specific anyway.  It won't work for anyone else.

Roughtrade

• Boss
  • Sitting on a Cornflake
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2012, 01:46:07 AM »
The Colbert thing we have going over on Save Paragon is Colbert-Nation Specific anyway.  It won't work for anyone else.
True. 

Just pointing out there are other places we can be looking at to expand our coverage.

mikenovember

• Lieutenant
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2012, 08:45:46 AM »
Penny Arcade
http://www.penny-arcade.com/
More NSFW than the others.  If cursing bothers you, probably won't like them.  But they are another Gamer focused comic with a large fan base and active forums.  Also responsible for starting Child's Play, one of the largest Gamer Charity Fund Raisers. 

They're also responsible for PAX, which is now PAX East, West and - think it's going international.  Gabe and Tycho are actually pretty powerful players in the gaming industry. 

They did a strip on shut down - but might take another swing if we appeal to them properly. I'd send emails to tycho - since he does post his address and twitter feed. 

http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2012/10/01

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2012, 01:13:26 PM »
They're also responsible for PAX, which is now PAX East, West and - think it's going international.  Gabe and Tycho are actually pretty powerful players in the gaming industry. 

They did a strip on shut down - but might take another swing if we appeal to them properly. I'd send emails to tycho - since he does post his address and twitter feed. 

http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2012/10/01

I enjoyed the Penny Arcade cartoon as well as many of the cartoons following that particular one.  Thanks for link and the humor. 
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

unladenswallow

• Lieutenant
  • "Are you suggesting Coconuts Migrate?"
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2012, 10:41:17 PM »
So what's the word on trying to get Stephen Colbert's attention? Any luck?
"The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." -Thomas Paine

mikoroshi

• Boss
  • Author, Owner of Dogs
    • My Twitter
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2012, 12:21:56 AM »
So what's the word on trying to get Stephen Colbert's attention? Any luck?

AFAIK we're developing a promotional site and planning a coordinated Twitter campaign aimed at the various Colbert related accounts (the man himself, Comedy Central, Colbert Nation etc.) to take place over the course of a few prime days once his new season starts.
If you see me posting here, you need to tell me to stop it and get back to writing.

Blue Pulsar

• Boss
  • Epic Mediocrity
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2012, 06:25:50 AM »
I am really not sure where I first saw them, but I had seen a few pictures of Colbert standing next to a list of various things on a blue board. I found one that had a few recognizable names from the CoH official forums. The other one was similar and I could have sworn that one of the things on the list was "CoT cave maps."  Can anyone tell me what was going in these pictures? Has Colbert had something to do with CoX before?
Blue Pulsar - 50 nrg/kin def - first toon - Liberty
Bane of Lanur - 52 nec/dark MM - Main vill - Liberty
Destan H. - 53 SS/FA brute - Farm/PvP hybrid - Freedom
Destan's Fury - 53 StJ/Regen brute - PvPer - Freedom
Destan's Shadow Gang - 53 Thug/Dark MM - PvPer - Freedom

mikoroshi

• Boss
  • Author, Owner of Dogs
    • My Twitter
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2012, 06:26:46 AM »
I am really not sure where I first saw them, but I had seen a few pictures of Colbert standing next to a list of various things on a blue board. I found one that had a few recognizable names from the CoH official forums. The other one was similar and I could have sworn that one of the things on the list was "CoT cave maps."  Can anyone tell me what was going in these pictures? Has Colbert had something to do with CoX before?

He had a supergroup called the Colbert Supernation.  I'm unclear on if he actually played the game, but we know he's a comic fan.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2012, 07:52:16 AM »
I thought that someone here had said they created that vecause they were a fan, not that he actually had any involvement.

mikoroshi

• Boss
  • Author, Owner of Dogs
    • My Twitter
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2012, 08:03:40 AM »
I don't genuinely know.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2012, 09:04:43 AM »

The blue board is his "threat list". At least one of the users on the old forums had several Colbert-based avatars, one or two of them being that blue board with CoH related entries photoshopped in. (If they weren't photoshopped, that's a story I'd like to hear :) )

Bliz

• Boss
    • StudioBliz
« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2012, 08:23:38 PM »
Liz

My City of Heroes shirts and stuff on RedBubble:
https://www.redbubble.com/people/bliz/collections/261901-city-of-heroes

Blue Pulsar

• Boss
  • Epic Mediocrity
« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2012, 12:17:07 AM »
There's a generator:
http://www.shipbrook.net/onnotice/

Damn, that's pretty friggin sweet. Thanks, Syrus.
Blue Pulsar - 50 nrg/kin def - first toon - Liberty
Bane of Lanur - 52 nec/dark MM - Main vill - Liberty
Destan H. - 53 SS/FA brute - Farm/PvP hybrid - Freedom
Destan's Fury - 53 StJ/Regen brute - PvPer - Freedom
Destan's Shadow Gang - 53 Thug/Dark MM - PvPer - Freedom

Quinch

« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2012, 05:02:32 AM »
Well, on the topic of Tek Jansen - given that the CoH costume creator allows for a pretty good replica, how about creating a brief demo starring him?