Author Topic: Demorecord Hosting?  (Read 13720 times)

therain93

• Elite Boss
Demorecord Hosting?
« on: December 02, 2012, 05:34:11 PM »
It woudl be kind of nice to have a spot where people can upload demorecords with tags associated with it.  Some people might find it nice to browse, others for finding certain "parts".
Any thoughts?
@Texarkana - March 5, 2004 - December 1, 2012 -- Imageshack |-| Youtube
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't know what it's like.... |-| Book One. Chapter one...

Glass Goblin

• Lieutenant
Re: Demorecord Hosting?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 03:55:48 AM »
I've been trying to get something like that going since September. I guess I should get off my butt and do it myself.

Hotaru

• Lieutenant
  • Just a demo-loving fool in the Far East...
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 09:38:35 AM »
I could definitely get behind this. In the last few months, every time I'd mention some old demo I'd played back, people in the global channels would tell me, "Throw that bad boy up on YouTube." Well, my current machine is crap, so it'd hardly be suited to rendering the demos into a shape anyone would want to see. But demo recordings themselves are nature's perfect food--compact, ripe for editing, and now with added camera freedom.

A place where people could not only post their cool stuff but also request things's they'd like to see ("Hey, anyone got a demo of Manti's wedding?"), ask for info on maps, models, MOVs, or even share tips on how to do different things would be great.

therain93

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 12:50:03 PM »
So, what would be an ideal solution?  We want it to be free.  We want it to be self-serve. We'd like to attach some meta-data to it. We want it to have some sort of search capability.
We could always default over to Google.  I'm not sure what part Titan would be interested in playing.  What were you cooking up mk?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 02:43:16 PM »
So, what would be an ideal solution?  We want it to be free.  We want it to be self-serve. We'd like to attach some meta-data to it. We want it to have some sort of search capability.
We could always default over to Google.  I'm not sure what part Titan would be interested in playing.  What were you cooking up mk?
"Free" is a matter of hosting.
Self-serve, metadata and search have almost nothing to do with the hosting. As long as the hosting service supports scripts and a modest database, all of those can be done.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Glass Goblin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 02:57:50 PM »

Keiphy

• Underling
  • @Keiphy
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 09:05:15 PM »
This is something I've been wracking my brain about for weeks now.
Unfortunately, I have never done anything even remotely similar and would have to start totally from scratch.

The best I was able to come up with that I am certain I could implement is having everyone upload their demos individually and send me the link along with tags and whatever metadata.
I would then manually (with help from local scripts) update a database (mysql or simple table) and update a post on this forum or a google doc from it.
People could then use their browsers search function to find content.

As you can tell, this is obviously suboptimal; so I'd greatly appreciate it if someone more skilled at this could come up with something.

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 12:00:34 AM »
Okay, guys... I am familiar with PHP and MySQL. Can help with the software side - it shouldn't be more than a few days' worth of effort for me.
But I need a little cooperation from you. Namely, a slightly more detailed spec of what functionalities you expect the system to provide - and I don't mean UI-wise but rather backend-wise; the UI will logically come from there.
1. What sort of information you want available regarding the demo records once they are uploaded?
2. What do you want the entries to be tagged with? Give me a few examples.
3. What other information you want to store on your website? Screenshots, character profiles (I've seen there is some interest in that among other users), chat logs (that could be associated with the demos?)?
4. Anonymous upload or user accounts? If accounts, do they need to be approved as "uploaders" first?
5. Do you want any sort of comment or rating system?
6. Do you want the content-related section of the database to be exportable by public in any part?
7. Do you have any sort of page layout already in mind (or even already designed)?
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Glass Goblin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 12:39:58 AM »

therain93

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 03:55:22 AM »

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 11:10:10 AM »
* There's no record about the client version in the demo file. The closest thing to "automatic" I can provide in this regard would require you filling in data on the release dates of each issue to live, test and beta servers beforehand. Then the uploader would only need to fill in the recording date and which of the three server categories it was recorded on.
* Indexing maps, FX, entities and costume parts is doable. Indexing player characters by name can be done if you like, but be aware it may lead to confusion when demos from characters named the same but existing on different servers are uploaded.
* Login code will be as self-contained as possible, so that you can replace it in the future.

Glass Goblin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 03:25:52 PM »

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 06:31:09 AM »
Hey guys, just FYI, we've been talking about this behind the scenes among our Titan Network developers--a combo demorecord and Sentinel+ site where you could store your stuff and other people could reference it, also serving as a library in case anyone needs it.  ("Crap, what is the map name for Skyway City again?")

We haven't talked about specific implementations of the idea, but personally, I imagine a site where you upload your demorecords, it pulls out metadata such as:
  • Characters contained within the demorecord file and their costumes
  • NPCs contained within the demorecord file, along with their costumes and/or model name
  • Location of the demorecord
  • Who uploaded it
  • Possibly different commands executed in the demorecord, such as animations, power effects, emotes, etc.
  • Maybe (within the limits of not violating people's privacy) chat that takes place

...and so on.

As for as Sentinel+ files, I'd eventually like for them to be able to be imported into CIT.

As you can imagine, though, we've all been really busy, so new development is a bit beyond our grasp at the moment.  As time goes on, though, I'm hoping that the issue becomes moot if City of Heroes is somehow relaunched.  Otherwise, as other activities progress, we'll probably have more time to circle back and look at this.

Hotaru

• Lieutenant
  • Just a demo-loving fool in the Far East...
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 08:35:13 AM »
TonyV, we know you (collectively) have a lot on your plate right now. The demos will be here if and when the Titan Network needs them. I know Chaos Ex Machina was also grabbing a ton of stuff in the last days both to fill in holes in the Titan Network's info and to have something to show people when we say, "See how awesome this game was?" Whether that's links from mission articles to demo files and/or YouTube vids of playthrus, there's plenty that can be done when the dust settles a bit.

spindisc

• Minion
    • Random Dice - CoH
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 01:21:07 PM »
I once did some demohacking and created my own site that I uploaded demorecords too. It then analysed the content and made you group new animations and models into categories (that I probably nicked from Codex).

It's not been updated for years, but it still works. You can try it out here:
http://www.randomdice.com/cohdemo/

Let me know if you need any help with this project. I don't have much time but I would love to contribute.

therain93

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2012, 01:42:41 PM »
I once did some demohacking and created my own site that I uploaded demorecords too. It then analysed the content and made you group new animations and models into categories (that I probably nicked from Codex).

Let me know if you need any help with this project. I don't have much time but I would love to contribute.
HOLY <bleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep>, DUDE!  I don't have time to dig in as I have to go to work, but that's most of it right there. Outstanding!

Glass Goblin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2012, 02:09:05 PM »

Nice work! Perhaps you could share notes with The Fifth Horseman, who is starting on a similar project?

Glass Goblin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2012, 02:29:45 PM »
As you can imagine, though, we've all been really busy, so new development is a bit beyond our grasp at the moment.  As time goes on, though, I'm hoping that the issue becomes moot if City of Heroes is somehow relaunched.  Otherwise, as other activities progress, we'll probably have more time to circle back and look at this.

TonyV, clearly you and the team are already doing a tremendous amount for the community, and are overwhelmed with projects. Since there are skilled people here with an interest in this project, would it be possible for us to try to do some of the basic work to get it started? I am reasonably certain we can get an alpha-level application running with minimal involvement from the Titan team, probably nothing more than making sure we don't use inherently incompatible systems. Spindisc has the bones of one working already, and The Fifth Horseman was about to start on a slightly more detailed version.

And yes, I am willing to put my money where my mouth is, and volunteer to coordinate the efforts. I've got fifteen years experience as an IT project manager supervising just this sort of multi-team "fast first, good later, pretty someday" insanity.

The more quickly we can get something simple in front of interested players, the less chance there is of that interest fading.

spindisc

• Minion
    • Random Dice - CoH
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2012, 04:14:54 PM »
I did some digging and found some fragments of my old code. It dates back to 2005 using old technologies... and looking at the source it's a bit messy.  :roll:

But I could clean it up and hand it over to anyone who's interested. It's nothing fancy, but it works. Basically it hacks the demofile into string rows analyzing it's content and making arrays of models, fx and stuff, then compares that to what's already in the database. I guess I need to check if the demofileformat have changed so I wont miss things. [Ok, just looked int the files and they still say Verion 2 so I guess they are compatible.] We should of course look fro other things to like costumes and maps and stuff.

Data is currently stored in an Access database.

So, should I clean this up? I could make it as a separate DLL that you could plugin wherever. Oh, and I code in Visual Basic in VS 2012. Sorry, but VB has been my main language since ... since... well, since they introduced it in 1991. Gosh! Now I seem old.  :-\

Glass Goblin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2012, 05:02:02 PM »
I uploaded a file and it threw an error, but seems to work otherwise. Of course, there are some categories missing, but that is easily enough handled.

VB 2012. Heh. I remember sitting down to upgrade our applications to VB6. (And I first starting doing "web apps" using Classic ASP. Kids today and their functional languages and useful APIs...)