Author Topic: Disney Concerns  (Read 18936 times)

pikabko1000

• Underling
Disney Concerns
« on: December 02, 2012, 07:42:16 AM »
look ther  is a some huge Bull S H I T parden my french no respect to any one hear. only a lot of B.S that I like to get off my chest if you please bear with me I will do the best I can to explain my self.
First off I wanted to let all your people know that NC SOFT the leading of all B.S the bad news of Fired all the develepers at Cryptic Studios and or
Paragon Studios and killing COH to make money not from the USA. made the choice to go antai-American and deal with South Korea Taiwan Hong Kong what ever. I hadbeen busting my chops sending angry letters to NC soft and what is the repond to that Close the report. suspened the report I sent. I asked for NC soft Phone number so I can call these people up at NC soft to give a piece of my mind. not for my self. first off to speak for all and at the end of that then it becomes my turn on my views. Other people comes first right all of you the customers of NC soft/COH/COV
right.
I hate to say this Paragon Studios COH/COV develepers need the congradulations on the job well done. and should get a attereny and whoop NCsoft in court.
There are some big people out there that want to save COH. as badly I want COH to be saved as mush as all of you do. I do not want Disney Interactive to take over. I much rather have COHTITAN so have the sole right rto run COH. I do not want Mickey Mouse in my COH/COV
I had been a Japanese Anime fan of Space Space Battle Ship Yamato and all the Go Nigai Gaint robot anime and stay way from somthing like Duck Tails Duck Wing Duck, Mickey Mouse club and so on to be on COH. I sorry its like putting Mickey Mouse in Starwars. all of that Dose not work!
look at this. Darth Vader gives command to Mickey Mouse to fire the Death Star Canon. the screechey Yes Sir Dose not work at all

come on there is a market out to there to Save COH. what I do care is the game to be saved and paid for from a compnay what is a COH/ COV fans
ok. not a 6000000  pound mouse head monster to take over the world as it stands.
I made the choice to go to COH to stay way from Disney. the only time I go wth Disney is Tron Movies
also I like to ask a favor. if any one got the phone number of Paragon Studios so I can talk about what happend and give my congrads on the fine work to keepo the game on as long as it lasted. andask about whats to be done to safe COH with out Disney tying to be power rangers when I am a Super Sentai Fan. and do not want do deal with a black market power ranger

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
Re: Disney Concerns
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 10:16:29 AM »
I'm a little confused by your post, I'm afraid, but in trying to address your points:

1) Paragon studios was more or less closed down the day of the announcement. I'm sure you could google their phone number, but its unlikely someone from the studio would there to take your call.

2) I think most people here would love to take over the running and development of CoH. We'd only need to raise about $18m to buy the IP from NC Soft .

3) I'm sorry you're not a fan of Disney. It seems some people have issues with them. We do, however , have a number of studios we hope to approach, if Disney turn us down. Hopefully ,one of them, everyone will approve of.  :)

« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 11:32:33 AM by rae »
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
  • is there a badge for that?
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 06:50:02 PM »
the thing im mostly worried about disney is that they might want to make a lot of massive changes to game and/or lore

if they just get it and keep it the same but add disney characters in future updates, i would be fine with that, as long as the core game stays the same

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 06:55:23 PM »
the thing im mostly worried about disney is that they might want to make a lot of massive changes to game and/or lore

if they just get it and keep it the same but add disney characters in future updates, i would be fine with that, as long as the core game stays the same

Disney trends to stay true to the IPs it obtains. I even cited that to them as one of the reasons I trust them and want them to have CoH in my letter to them. But we really should move this discussion to the hail Mary part of the forum.

Roughtrade

• Boss
  • Sitting on a Cornflake
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 07:11:42 PM »
I dunno.  I've seen this same badly spelled rant before.  I think he's cross posting to troll.

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 07:14:26 PM »
I dunno.  I've seen this same badly spelled rant before.  I think he's cross posting to unicorn.

No it got moved over here by a mod and was turned into a thread. Used to be in the Thank the Media thread in Save Paragon

Roughtrade

• Boss
  • Sitting on a Cornflake
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 07:24:28 PM »
Ah.  Should have noticed only two posts, so unlikely he was cross posting.

My original opinion about comparisons to mythological creatures remains unchanged.

There are a metric butt tonne of posts about concerns people have about Disney manning the helm.  I wish they had chosen one of the more elegantly expressed posts as a starting point for this particular conversation.

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 08:15:30 PM »
look ther  is a some huge Bull S H I T parden my french no respect to any one hear. only a lot of B.S that I like to get off my chest if you please bear with me I will do the best I can to explain my self.
First off I wanted to let all your people know that NC SOFT the leading of all B.S the bad news of Fired all the develepers at Cryptic Studios and or
Paragon Studios and killing COH to make money not from the USA. made the choice to go antai-American and deal with South Korea Taiwan Hong Kong what ever. I hadbeen busting my chops sending angry letters to NC soft and what is the repond to that Close the report. suspened the report I sent. I asked for NC soft Phone number so I can call these people up at NC soft to give a piece of my mind. not for my self. first off to speak for all and at the end of that then it becomes my turn on my views. Other people comes first right all of you the customers of NC soft/COH/COV
right.
I hate to say this Paragon Studios COH/COV develepers need the congradulations on the job well done. and should get a attereny and whoop NCsoft in court.
There are some big people out there that want to save COH. as badly I want COH to be saved as mush as all of you do. I do not want Disney Interactive to take over. I much rather have COHTITAN so have the sole right rto run COH. I do not want Mickey Mouse in my COH/COV
I had been a Japanese Anime fan of Space Space Battle Ship Yamato and all the Go Nigai Gaint robot anime and stay way from somthing like Duck Tails Duck Wing Duck, Mickey Mouse club and so on to be on COH. I sorry its like putting Mickey Mouse in Starwars. all of that Dose not work!
look at this. Darth Vader gives command to Mickey Mouse to fire the Death Star Canon. the screechey Yes Sir Dose not work at all

come on there is a market out to there to Save COH. what I do care is the game to be saved and paid for from a compnay what is a COH/ COV fans
ok. not a 6000000  pound mouse head monster to take over the world as it stands.
I made the choice to go to COH to stay way from Disney. the only time I go wth Disney is Tron Movies
also I like to ask a favor. if any one got the phone number of Paragon Studios so I can talk about what happend and give my congrads on the fine work to keepo the game on as long as it lasted. andask about whats to be done to safe COH with out Disney tying to be power rangers when I am a Super Sentai Fan. and do not want do deal with a black market power ranger
UniqueDragon, is that you ?

Seriously, am I the only one to find a similarity in the expression ? :D

(Apologies to the real one if he got better since he warned us that the game may be gone to the americans)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 10:53:42 PM by Mister Bison »
Yeeessss....

Vasarto

• Boss
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 02:20:10 AM »
The difference heroes would have between owned by ncsoft and disney is ncsoft logo replaced with disney and a possible COH2 made.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 04:05:32 AM »
OLD Disney was beginning to look like an evil empire.  Since around 2008, NEW Disney is proving to be one of the more ethical, responsible and reliable corporations out there.  Most notably, they have gotten a reputation for acquiring entertainment firms that know what they are doing and leaving them alone to do it.

Here's an example.  There were thousands of places you could have seen Disney product placement in the Avengers movie.  After all, Disney owns Marvel, and it wouldn't even have cost them anything. 

Featured brands:  ABC, Acura, aussieBum, Bose, CNN, Colantotte, C-SPAN, Dr. Pepper, Farmers Insurance, Harley-Davidson, Jansport, LG, MAC Cosmetics, MSNBC, NASA, NY1, Oracle, Plantronics, Rimowa, Southwest Airlines

No Disney.  OK, Disney owns ABC.  But there was nothing overtly Disney as product placement.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 05:31:47 AM »
I dunno, VV... I saw a whole metric ton of Disney products in that movie. 

Nick Fury, Iron Man, Hulk, Thor... :)

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 05:54:50 AM »
Just to interject a WTF, here, when was the last time anyone saw a Disney movie "plug" something else Disney related? I'm not talking in-jokes, a-ha gags, Easter eggs, or the whole damn movie, here. You don't see Simba playing with a Mickey plushy, because that would be... a gross suspension of disbelief. I'm not saying the other concerns are invalid, but this one is mushroom-growin', been sittin' in the sun all day, bullshit.

Next?
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

faith.grins

• Boss
  • Split your lungs with blood and thunder.
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 06:28:13 AM »
Just to interject a WTF, here, when was the last time anyone saw a Disney movie "plug" something else Disney related? I'm not talking in-jokes, a-ha gags, Easter eggs, or the whole damn movie, here. You don't see Simba playing with a Mickey plushy, because that would be... a gross suspension of disbelief. I'm not saying the other concerns are invalid, but this one is mushroom-growin', been sittin' in the sun all day, bullshit.

Next?
Off the top of my head?

"Whoo, that's rich!  First pirates, now talking parrots!  What's next, a singing, dancing mouse with his own amusement park?" - Polly Lobster, Muppet Treasure Island.

You may call that an in-joke if you wish.  I call it good marketing.
Aram:  "Man, just look at all this.  Sometimes it's hard to believe that we get to live surrounded by such wonder."
Gamal:  "We don't live over there." Aram:  "We don't?"
Gamal:  "No.  We live over there." Aram:  "... But it's all on fire."
Gamal:  "Yes it is, Aram.  Yes it is."

Roughtrade

• Boss
  • Sitting on a Cornflake
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 06:34:54 AM »
Off the top of my head?

"Whoo, that's rich!  First pirates, now talking parrots!  What's next, a singing, dancing mouse with his own amusement park?" - Polly Lobster, Muppet Treasure Island.

You may call that an in-joke if you wish.  I call it good marketing.
Except that it is in the Muppet Style to be self referential and somewhat cynical about the entire movie process.  Even when they were on their own, the running joke in the first muppet movie was Q "How did you know we would be here?"    A "It was in the script.  Scene Forty Three, Desert Exterior, Kermit and Fozzy are in the car."

They didn't plaster Mickey Mouse logos on the treasure and no one sang "When You Wish Upon a Star" anywhere.  It certainly isn't a bad thing to see Disney allowed a property they bought to continue to act in the manner that they had always done.

faith.grins

• Boss
  • Split your lungs with blood and thunder.
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 06:57:06 AM »
Enh.  True enough.  It did still readily come to mind.
Aram:  "Man, just look at all this.  Sometimes it's hard to believe that we get to live surrounded by such wonder."
Gamal:  "We don't live over there." Aram:  "We don't?"
Gamal:  "No.  We live over there." Aram:  "... But it's all on fire."
Gamal:  "Yes it is, Aram.  Yes it is."

RogerWilco

• Lieutenant
  • The Adventurous Janitor
    • The Conclave - International Gaming Community
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 11:41:24 AM »
Disney trends to stay true to the IPs it obtains. I even cited that to them as one of the reasons I trust them and want them to have CoH in my letter to them. But we really should move this discussion to the hail Mary part of the forum.
I agree with this. Recently Disney has been good in keeping things like Marvel intact.

I would not even mind a spiritual successor to CoH in which we have The Avengers and Fantastic Four instead of the Freedom Phalanx as long as I can create my own character, missions and base/buildings and play the game in a casual friendly, non-grind way, I'd be happy.

Tommy2Toes

• Minion
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2012, 05:02:53 PM »
OLD Disney was beginning to look like an evil empire.  Since around 2008, NEW Disney is proving to be one of the more ethical, responsible and reliable corporations out there.  Most notably, they have gotten a reputation for acquiring entertainment firms that know what they are doing and leaving them alone to do it.

Here's an example.  There were thousands of places you could have seen Disney product placement in the Avengers movie.  After all, Disney owns Marvel, and it wouldn't even have cost them anything. 

Featured brands:  ABC, Acura, aussieBum, Bose, CNN, Colantotte, C-SPAN, Dr. Pepper, Farmers Insurance, Harley-Davidson, Jansport, LG, MAC Cosmetics, MSNBC, NASA, NY1, Oracle, Plantronics, Rimowa, Southwest Airlines

No Disney.  OK, Disney owns ABC.  But there was nothing overtly Disney as product placement.

I don't disagree with you other than...

Disney Interactive, the likely owner/caretaker for anything acquired COH-related, has been a cesspool of mismanaged properties and failed endeavors.

That is the only thing that worries me.  Disney as a company would be a fine owner.  Disney Interactive....not so sure.

My bigger fear is Disney buys it, hands it to Disney Interactive, and they smother the thing with a plastic bag because all they seem to understand is mobile gaming.  I'd LOVE a mobile gaming supplement to COH (Mobile Wentworths anyone?  COH Dayjob Monitor perhaps?).  But those are mobile elements added to the core MMO.

As a long time member of Disney's Pirates MMO, I haven't been impressed with how they deal with MMO environmental or social aspects of same.  They seem to be far too interested in watering it down to meet their E for Everyone perceived family standards.  Not sure Club Penguin and Toon Town offer any greater relevance to this.  MMO's are a very different animal, requiring cultivation of the social elements of the game to thrive and flourish.  As has been said many times, the players of COH and the community managers worked very hard to make this happen.  Disney works very hard to NOT make it happen as they put significant investment in eradicating anything remotely controversial or questionable (for kids/families) from their MMO's.  The result is a very watered-down, 'generic' universe that maintains the integrity of the property being represented (you have pirates, you have ships, you have swashbuckling fights, etc.) without delving into anything questionable (pillaging is almost laughable in Pirates...more like 'shoplifting' than anything remotely exciting).

I keep my fingers crossed for the Hail Mary team nonetheless, but really remain concerned about how Disney will treat the COXiverse.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2012, 10:52:01 PM »
Strangely enough though, that wouldn't actually require Disney to acquire the IP. Marvel could do it as a fully fledged MMO with a system like that. Infringing on IP? Nope, because Champions Online allows you to make your characters, and bases... and the mission architect *concept* is used in the Foundry in STO.

Strictly speaking, that would still be Disney.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2012, 01:17:00 AM »
I did just have a terrible thought: Hal Sparks as Synapse! (or any role, really)

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2012, 02:10:23 AM »
I don't disagree with you other than...

Disney Interactive, the likely owner/caretaker for anything acquired COH-related, has been a cesspool of mismanaged properties and failed endeavors.

That is the only thing that worries me.  Disney as a company would be a fine owner.  Disney Interactive....not so sure.

My bigger fear is Disney buys it, hands it to Disney Interactive, and they smother the thing with a plastic bag because all they seem to understand is mobile gaming.  I'd LOVE a mobile gaming supplement to COH (Mobile Wentworths anyone?  COH Dayjob Monitor perhaps?).  But those are mobile elements added to the core MMO.

As a long time member of Disney's Pirates MMO, I haven't been impressed with how they deal with MMO environmental or social aspects of same.  They seem to be far too interested in watering it down to meet their E for Everyone perceived family standards.  Not sure Club Penguin and Toon Town offer any greater relevance to this.  MMO's are a very different animal, requiring cultivation of the social elements of the game to thrive and flourish.  As has been said many times, the players of COH and the community managers worked very hard to make this happen.  Disney works very hard to NOT make it happen as they put significant investment in eradicating anything remotely controversial or questionable (for kids/families) from their MMO's.  The result is a very watered-down, 'generic' universe that maintains the integrity of the property being represented (you have pirates, you have ships, you have swashbuckling fights, etc.) without delving into anything questionable (pillaging is almost laughable in Pirates...more like 'shoplifting' than anything remotely exciting).

I keep my fingers crossed for the Hail Mary team nonetheless, but really remain concerned about how Disney will treat the COXiverse.

I'm actually glad you brought that up, because Disney Interactive has not made a profit in the entire time of its existence.  Where CoX demonstrably has.  While we delicately did not point out the fact that they have not made a profit, we did point out that CoX did.  Unlike NCSoft, Disney likes to buy experts that know how to do things (like turn a profit?), then turn them loose.

I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido