Author Topic: A Guide for those of us playing Campions Online.  (Read 40274 times)

Adrenalin

• Lieutenant
Re: A Guide for those of us playing Campions Online.
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2012, 09:12:51 PM »
I've always played both games with a mouse. CoH made some changes during my last break that kind of messed that up, but I still used it to aim the camera. Here's how I set CO;

In game push escape and click Options, then click the Controls tab and set the keybinds to "Other Superhero Games". (Since there was only one other hero game at the time CO came out, we all know who they were talking about. lol) Then use your mouse to steer. Hold down the right button for steering, right and left held together = steering plus movement. Numbers correspond to the powers tray, Z is break free, and jump is the space bar.

I actually have no idea how CO's original controls are set because I've always used the "other superhero game" option.

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2012, 09:14:04 PM »
Is it possible to play on a mousepad? Character movement seems really funky to me...is there a trick I am missing?

I highly recomend getting either a cheap usb mouse or an XBox controller. The game is fully compatible with the later, btw, since it was originally designed to be an XBox 360 MMO.

Although got to say not sure how the Mac/Wrapper layer may intnerfeer with that bit.
For the sake of the community: please stop the cultural "research" in your attempt to put blame on the game's cancelation.

It's sickening to see the community sink that low. It's worse to see the community does not get it.

I'm signing off and taking a break, blindly hope things change.

Wammo

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2012, 09:14:49 PM »
Thanks Gypsy...so so so much to learn

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2012, 04:56:56 AM »

RubiconX

• Underling
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2012, 01:15:07 AM »
I've always played both games with a mouse. CoH made some changes during my last break that kind of messed that up, but I still used it to aim the camera. Here's how I set CO;

In game push escape and click Options, then click the Controls tab and set the keybinds to "Other Superhero Games". (Since there was only one other hero game at the time CO came out, we all know who they were talking about. lol) Then use your mouse to steer. Hold down the right button for steering, right and left held together = steering plus movement. Numbers correspond to the powers tray, Z is break free, and jump is the space bar.

I actually have no idea how CO's original controls are set because I've always used the "other superhero game" option.

This is great advice! I had no idea that was there but a big help.

This whole thread has been very helpful, trying to learn the ropes but the info here is slowly making it less confusing.

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2012, 03:21:23 AM »
Wow! You learn something new everyday! Even I didn't know that one!

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2012, 03:39:25 AM »
I didn't know that either, so I'll have to give that a shot. Even so, the full range of joypad customization options I had in CoX don't seem possible on CO.
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/

Adrenalin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2012, 06:48:01 PM »
Sorry I haven't been back to the thread lately, had a total thyroidectomy on the 6th so been a little busy.  ;D

Glad everyone is finding the keybinds helpful.

Unlike CoX it takes a little work to figure out what works best for you, but at least it's doable. I've quit games before because of stupid keybind choices.  CoH spoiled and proud of it. :P

blackjak

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2012, 08:48:25 PM »
Sorry I haven't been back to the thread lately, had a total thyroidectomy on the 6th so been a little busy.  ;D

Glad everyone is finding the keybinds helpful.

Unlike CoX it takes a little work to figure out what works best for you, but at least it's doable. I've quit games before because of stupid keybind choices.  CoH spoiled and proud of it. :P
ouch! Hope you recover soon.
Virtue: Moonsun, Dynamo Jr., Crimson Fury, Sabre Kat, Double Sixxes, Quantum Stranger, Mystic Kirin, Pink.Eye Champion: Blackjak, Redwing Blackbird Justice: Shield Marshal Guardian: White Talon Triumph: Gosuto Union: Stellar Girl

Adrenalin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2012, 01:54:16 AM »
ouch! Hope you recover soon.

Thanks blackjak. :) I'm actually feeling pretty good, short of the normal surgery after effects.

RubiconX

• Underling
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2012, 04:05:26 PM »
I thought I'd throw these questions in here since it's a guide for CO and maybe others have the same questions. After playing a bit there's a few things I'm confused about:

Is there a way to call in missions/contacts like you could in CoH, the whole cell phone thing?

Are you able to change mission difficulty?

Is there a way to see active contacts? I can see active/completed missions but a few times I've completed a mission and there was no return to contact...and I couldn't figure out who/where my contacts were.

How/Where/When do you go to the next zones? Are there missions that eventually lead you there or do you just head there after X level?

Any trick to the auction house, I've gone in there a few times but it seems I can't always get anything to show up in searches and there usually aren't many people in there?

That's all for now  ;D

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2012, 04:22:47 PM »
I can answer a few of these!

Is there a way to call in missions/contacts like you could in CoH, the whole cell phone thing?
Sadly nope, you have to run back to the contact.  You can, however, exit a mission map early by contacting SOCRATES via her button on the minimap.

Are you able to change mission difficulty?
Yes!  Just open up your options menu - there's a difficulty option there.  You can also change the difficulty by mousing over your status in the upper-left, clicking the arrow that appears, and then clicking "set difficulty" from the menu that pops up.

Is there a way to see active contacts? I can see active/completed missions but a few times I've completed a mission and there was no return to contact...and I couldn't figure out who/where my contacts were.
There's no way to really know where your 'active' contacts are.  However, contacts never go "inactive" - you can revisit them at any time.  You can use SOCRATES's "search for emergencies" options to pick up missions remotely, however.

How/Where/When do you go to the next zones? Are there missions that eventually lead you there or do you just head there after X level?
You should stay in Millenium City (and Westside in particular) until level 15.  Then Chief of Police Surhoff outside the prison will give you two missions - "Going Green" and another mission that I don't remember the name of.  These two missions will take you to the Southwest Desert Crisis and the Canadian Wilderness Crisis, respectively.

A NOTE ON CRISIS ZONES: Crisis zones are basically a "prequel" to get you situated into the lore of the region; they are separate from the actual zone.  Once you complete a Crisis, you cannot return to the Crisis version of the zone, so get your perks and loot while you can.  Completing a Crisis will deposit you into the regular version of the zone.

If you leave a Crisis incomplete, you can return to it  apparently.  Use the Helicopter instead of the Champions' Jet to access the zone.  To be safe, however, you should complete a Crisis story arc in one go.  They're not too hard.

After level 15, you can either stay in Millenium City (there's still plenty to do!  There's at least three more city quarters you haven't explored!) or you can go to the Desert or Canada for missions.

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2012, 04:31:53 PM »
Here's a guide I've worked up showing how to modify the HUD/UI. I'm reposting it here.

You can rearrange the UI in Champions. You can also change the overall scale of everything.

Here - step by step -

First - here's the unmodified HUD/UI.

Hit your "F12" key to access the HUD/UI alteration interface. This is what it looks like initially after hitting F12.

Each of those green boxes can be moved individually. Here - I've moved the powers tray from the bottom of the screen off to the right.

Additionally, most of them can be individually re-scaled like you can with windows boxes (place pointer at edge until you get a double-arrow and the pull in the direction you want). Here below I've changed the scale of the two mini-map boxes in the upper right hand corner.

And here's the end result -

You can also change the overall scale of the HUD/UI. Hit "ESC" to get this menu.

Then choose options. On the very first tab labeled "Basic" look at the bottom. There's a "Interface Scale" Meter. Change it to taste.

For our example here, let's ramp it down to 65% and see what it looks like.

Okay, that gets a lot of stuff out of the way, but leaves our chat box and type setting a little small to see.

No worries, you can directly drag and re-size this window, then right-click on the chat tabs and go to the "Options" tab. There's a "Font-Size" slider. Ramp it up until it suits you.

Voila!

So using a combination of all of those, you can modify the UI a lot. I don't think you can change the COLOR of the UI unfortunately.

I hope this helps everyone out!

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2012, 10:15:57 PM »
Thanks for this!

I also love what you did with Cyberman 8 :)
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/

Epelesker

• Boss
  • One fix at a time!
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2012, 10:36:47 PM »
Sadly nope, you have to run back to the contact.  You can, however, exit a mission map early by contacting SOCRATES via her button on the minimap.

There's no way to really know where your 'active' contacts are.  However, contacts never go "inactive" - you can revisit them at any time.  You can use SOCRATES's "search for emergencies" options to pick up missions remotely, however.

I must comment on this: that same "Search for Emergencies" function actually does allow you to turn in missions remotely. You need to scroll down the list to find the name of the contact you accepted from, find the mission, and then you can select/accept rewards from there.

Just, it does get a little long and confusing sometimes.

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2012, 12:57:25 AM »
Oooo I didnt know that!

Thanks, Epe! :)
Woo! - Argent Girl

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2012, 01:43:21 AM »
Thanks for this!

I also love what you did with Cyberman 8 :)

You're welcome!

And thanks for the compliment! I just last night did some more tweaks to his proportions to get him more in line with his COH version. I'm very close to being completely satisfied.

(The only thing that STILL irks me is the lack of that classic "Swept V" ornament and a brim for the helmet. That brim from the old Veteran "Samurai" costume set award and the swept "V" was what got me to MAKE him in the first place and CO doesn't have anything like it! That will always slightly annoy me until/unless they add something like it.)