Author Topic: Why The Closing of COH is art theft  (Read 7579 times)

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
Re: Why The Closing of COH is art theft
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2012, 02:42:13 AM »
TIL Houtex identified most strongly with Brawling Humiliator out of all his characters...

Close! But I was actually voicing about Thing of Bigness.  BH is a close second though. :)

houtex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2012, 02:46:14 AM »
Actually, it said in the rules you agreed to to play the game each time you log in, that they own the rights to all characters you make in the game. I actually deleted a character in game as I wanted to one day use her backstory in a novel I plan on writing.

I simply must tell you this directly.  NOWHERE does it say they own your character, and as a matter of fact they actually make it very clear that they can USE your creations any way they want in exchange for allowing you to play the game.  But it is blatantly clear they know that they can NEVER own YOUR creation.  They can own the Lego, but your awesome space station creation is YOURS.

I took my time in reading the EULA line by line, paragraph by paragraph, so I'm very well versed on what is and isn't ours, as I was going to persue a Cease and Desist order against NCSoft... but realized it was futile, as per the very things I've posted here, in that I can 'enjoy' my characters offline, just not very well. :p

Edit: I see I am late to voicing this, but I just had to say it... Now that I continued reading, I see that I might have needed to just keep reading and letting it go. :)  Ah well, I ain't deletin' or whatever.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 02:52:17 AM by houtex »

houtex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2012, 02:51:32 AM »
Also, the person who is closest to me who's been playing COH since I2 said this "COH hasn't been about superheroes in a long time"

I... can see that argument.  But I also think it's disingenuous to say that as well, as the Superhero theme is what makes it 'go'.  For what is a superhero than an extraordinary hero that can do More(tm) than an 'average' hero, such as a really awesome cop or firefighter?

But splitting hairs, I suppose, is the name of that game. :)