Author Topic: Our Other Options  (Read 31332 times)

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
Re: Our Other Options
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2012, 10:57:23 AM »
Well, you are all that to me, but, I know better than to argue with your assessment.  Colbert Nation seems like the best, most likely place for numbers, barring getting Oprah interested (I think Divine Intervention would be required for Oprah).  But I think Felicia Day could be contacted, and if David Tennant et al are comic and/or gaming fans, I think they're worth contacting as well.  I gotta get back to my belated Thanking the Media posts.  I've really been negligent about doing so.  So guys, please hop on those articles and leave a Thank You!  (I'm sure I don't need to make a request for all comments we make to media covering us be positive and to avoid NCSoft bashing in public.)  In Public Relations it's all about Optics, and I'm sure you'd want us to look good to all those outside our community.

You know who WOULD be great on there, is Posi.  He's an oldschool gamer.  I strongly suggest a sub-campaign to get him on the show.

I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Vasarto

• Boss
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2012, 12:00:14 PM »
What if we contact the nerds from that big bang show lol. I am sure them with how much they are comic book nerds they would be willing to help lol

or we also need to contact IGN and Game Informer. While they did a short story about the game shutting down they mention nothing of us and what we are doing.

Getting the attention of those big wigs and having a story of us done by them is certainly to boost our notice in the media.

Jordan_Lee

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2012, 03:24:29 PM »
What about The Oatmeal? It's an online comic strip, and there has been a gamer reference before. Definitely not super hero comics, but funny (if you are OK with potty mouth and cynical humor which I totally am).

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/online_gaming

But he does get a ton of viewers. If someone wanted to contact him with some information to see if he'd be interested in spreading the word?

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2012, 10:57:23 PM »
First, VV, I do not read fantasy, beyond occasionally dusting off my old copy of the original Pern trilogy, and I knew who you were, though not that you were with Baen.

Second, to address two previous points at once, I believe the TableTop games are by invitation, but, yes, lobbying them to get Posi on for a round of Settlers of Cataan, or something, sounds like an awesome idea.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2012, 11:03:10 PM »
The most dangerous phrase in the english language.

"Hey.  Watch this!"

In his famous corollary to the theory of evolution, Darwin proposed that very same idea.  ;D
As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

Treees

• Underling
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2012, 12:29:09 AM »
Richard Garriott.

I'm going to make a new topic for the idea later, but here's some reasons:

- Has experience with MMOs and starting them (Made Ultima and Tabula Rasa)
- Subsequently sued NCsoft when they forged his resignation, ended his game and other sources of fraud
- Has a fair sum of money, as he was able to go after his space-flight dream through his own funds

If he did get CoH,
- He woudln't have to do a whole lot past invest venture capital (addendum: asked the director of his documentary about his future plans, says they're not video games, which is moreso a plus for us)
- He could do what Steve Jobs did with Pixar - toss maybe one million per year AKA venture capital
- With such, he could just leave Paragon Studios to do their bidding, rolling smoothly and so on
- It would be a nice message to NCsoft, grabbing what they just dropped and getting the gains they miss out on

Treees

• Underling
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2012, 12:47:41 AM »
he only sued NCsoft because they listed his depature from NCsoft as voluntary and not "fired/sacked/removed from position" whatever. It affected how his stock options could be executed. So he did try to go for them for fraud over *that*.

The letter and the termination of his game were *not* factors for him starting the law suit. Infact, the game was only ever mentioned as something incidental to the whole proceedings to be honest. Ok, maybe the letter *was* a factor (however, from what I can gather from the court case, it was that he approved and *signed* the letter to the players, but never signed his resignation letter. There is no mention in the court proceedings that the resignation was indeed forged, nor did he list it as such in his original court case documents.)

Eh, I may have been wrong with that!
Either way, he has an intimidation factor and could possibly have some additional personal factors with them.

IronSkull

• Underling
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2012, 12:54:26 AM »
Guys, I appreciate deeply that you all think I am all that and a bag of chips, but I am not even a first-level guest at Dragoncon sort of fame.  I rate squarely in the midlist.  Will Wheaton would go "who?"  Don't concentrate on what my dubious notoriety can accomplish.  Concentrate on how we can get the most numbers.

Well, given that your line at Dragoncon this year was longer than Adam West's and the panels I went to, I'd say you're pretty high up there VV. And you may not remember signing my books but I still appreciated that I get inline before they closed it like they did last year.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2012, 02:13:05 AM »
Richard Garriott.

Already turned us down (privately).

Has said he is only interested in 2D games now.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2012, 02:15:11 AM »
What if we contact the nerds from that big bang show lol. I am sure them with how much they are comic book nerds they would be willing to help lol

Been trying that with no luck since Aug 31.  Seriously no one has any contacts with anyone working on that show.  Contacts are everything in Hollywood.

or we also need to contact IGN and Game Informer. While they did a short story about the game shutting down they mention nothing of us and what we are doing.

Getting the attention of those big wigs and having a story of us done by them is certainly to boost our notice in the media.

I believe Rae sent them a press release. 

Vasarto

• Boss
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2012, 03:10:18 AM »
I Tweeted wil Wheaton like 3 times about it and I think we should spam his Tweet with it as well until he responds lol.

Wil Wheaton paying attention and ESPECIALLY If he were to Tweet something about it or HEAVEN PRAISE US! Made a video about it like he does when he interviews board games!

It would add a +9001 to our power level and than even if we are in the negative we would STILL be over 9000!

Joke aside it would add Thousands of more Eyes on us!

So In addition to Project Hail Mary I shall now request that we invoke Project Bug Wil Wheaton until he says stop or helps us by flooding his Tweets and responding to his Tweets with our website domain and a small message of asking for help.

Nothing fancy or pathetic just a simple. "Please help us" or "Our city needs a hero like you" "Insert our Domain name for front page"

Not the forums domain but the main site front page.

Posted a bunch of times to IGN, Doctor Who's Matt Smiths bbc, Oprah walls for Twitter.
Gonna see if Game Informer has a Twitter wall and post a bunch of times to it too!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 03:42:11 AM by Vasarto »

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2012, 04:09:57 AM »
Ellen

LOL ok that would have been a funny typo if the letter was sent and you mispelled her name Ellen Degenerate. Lmao. Probably wouldnt help our cause but I would laugh my ass off if it was on live tv.

Vasarto

• Boss
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2012, 04:11:34 AM »
LOL ok that would have been a funny typo if the letter was sent and you mispelled her name Ellen Degenerate. Lmao. Probably wouldnt help our cause but I would laugh my ass off if it was on live tv.

I did that on here recently...had to change my post lol.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2012, 04:19:25 AM »
I did that on here recently...had to change my post lol.

lmao

Treees

• Underling
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2012, 05:00:15 AM »
Already turned us down (privately).

Has said he is only interested in 2D games now.

Aw, he won't even just throw some money at us to help? :( He woudln't have to do any work

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2012, 05:04:09 AM »
Aw, he won't even just throw some money at us to help? :( He woudln't have to do any work

I would imagine that his life is very like that of a big lottery winner since he won his lawsuit.  Everyone wants him to throw money at their pet project.  He never had anything to do with CoH, I'm not sure he cares about comics or superheros, and he has his own business to re-invest in.

Treees

• Underling
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2012, 05:09:21 AM »
I would imagine that his life is very like that of a big lottery winner since he won his lawsuit.  Everyone wants him to throw money at their pet project.  He never had anything to do with CoH, I'm not sure he cares about comics or superheros, and he has his own business to re-invest in.

Funnily enough, we don't actually know what work he did on CoH but he is listed as Executive Producer/Executive Management. I wonder what it was, just out of curiosity

Yeah, the director said he was mainly doing his space business nowadays. It was neat seeing Ghost Widow in the documentary though

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2012, 05:10:39 AM »
I Tweeted wil Wheaton like 3 times about it and I think we should spam his Tweet with it as well until he responds lol.

Do not do this.  He recently(within the last month or so?) tweeted about being annoyed at people constantly spamming him with their causes. He said he would block them. So yeah, prolly not a good idea to bug him.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2012, 05:25:09 AM »
Do not do this.  He recently(within the last month or so?) tweeted about being annoyed at people constantly spamming him with their causes. He said he would block them. So yeah, prolly not a good idea to bug him.

Correct.

Spamming anyone will not get someone to reply and if they do it usually wont be in a nice manner about how they can help you out.

Just imagine if someone was constantly spamming you. I doubt most people would just up and go and say, "oh since they are spamming me to my last nerve I'm going to go ahead and help them out." Usually it's more like, "Who are these people spamming me?  I'm putting them on my block list right now."

This is just courtesy tip for contacting anyone. Contact them once, maybe twice at the ultimate most, and let them decide to reply or not. Do not become an iGnat.

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2012, 05:29:18 AM »
Correct.

Spamming anyone will not get someone to reply and if they do it usually wont be in a nice manner about how they can help you out.

Just imagine if someone was constantly spamming you. I doubt most people would just up and go and say, "oh since they are spamming me to my last nerve I'm going to go ahead and help them out." Usually it's more like, "Who are these people spamming me?  I'm putting them on my block list right now."

This is just courtesy tip for contacting anyone. Contact them once, maybe twice at the ultimate most, and let them decide to reply or not. Do not become an iGnat.

It worked with the Entertainment Weekly guy because his job is to receive spam from people. Bugging celebs on their personal twitters will not be received as well. A few people tweeting them once with a "Hey have you heard about this?" is okay, but that has been done with @wilw already.