Author Topic: Our Other Options  (Read 31298 times)

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
Re: Our Other Options
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2012, 05:37:48 AM »
This might be a dangerous thing to say, since the ranks, here, have swelled a bit since then, but it might be acceptable if a few of us point him to the press release with some variation of, "Hey, look what us nutty, spandex-themed gamers are up to, now! Aren't we cute."  More self deprecating and less condescending, though. I didn't mean for it to be that bad.

Anyway, if, say, someone high up in Project Phoenix were to pick one of the small to medium sized teams (I'm arbitrarily going by the lists on the OP for the ASSEMBLE THE TEAM thread) and said, "You! Tweet!"  That would not be spamming, but it might be enough volume to get noticed.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

mikenovember

• Lieutenant
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2012, 05:49:12 AM »
Much as I know... people are going to hate me for saying this, but...

Microsoft Games.

Now before the whole world goes screaming "OH NOES!!!!?" 

We should maybe look at the following:
1) City of Heroes was at one point ready for the Xbox.  The devs actually had working code for it and were ready to pull the trigger before Microsoft pulled out in large part, if reports are correct, due to concerns at the time the Xbox players would get owned by PC players (a limitation which, in many ways no longer exists due to hardware and network improvements).
2) Microsoft and Marvel were working on a Marvel MMO - when Marvel / Microsoft pulled out of the deal (which is why there's a Champions Online), the problem at that time was that between Marvel, Microsoft and Cryptic - there weren't enough pieces of the pie to make it profitable.  Here they'd be splitting it with Paragon, that's a workable solution for them. 
3) Microsoft has tried repeatedly to get a decent property in the MMO Market and failed repeatedly. 

Now, that's not a lot confidence I know.  But understand that Microsoft very much wants an MMO for the Xbox, they have all along.  Here's one which actually has most of the code in place for them.  All they need to do is update it to work with the current level of technology, and connect it to their systems.   It's actually a very smart move on their part - it's family friendly, it's an MMO, it's a potential income generator and it gets them very good press with the gaming community.  Microsoft loves having good press.

Microsoft needs something for the PC in this space. 

Microsoft has a history of letting game studios do what they do best - giving Paragon Studios the cash and resources to rebuild how they want to achieve a great product isn't a problem for them.  If you're familiar with Bungie and several of their other 'partners' they've usually been pretty good with them. 

At one point they were so keen on City of Heroes they actually put Statesman and others on their "Microsofts Got Game" T-Shirts.  I know a lot of people don't like Microsoft, even more so than Disney... but if you're we're tossing ideas out there, I really feel this is less of a long shot than even the Disney pitch. 

Financially it's a risk for them, they generally don't go in for things this small, but it's small enough they might be able to take it and if it fails not worry, and let Paragon spin off to whatever they want. They've done it before with other companies. 

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2012, 05:59:24 AM »
Much as I know... people are going to hate me for saying this, but...

Microsoft Games.

Now before the whole world goes screaming "OH NOES!!!!?" 

We should maybe look at the following:
1) City of Heroes was at one point ready for the Xbox.  The devs actually had working code for it and were ready to pull the trigger before Microsoft pulled out in large part, if reports are correct, due to concerns at the time the Xbox players would get owned by PC players (a limitation which, in many ways no longer exists due to hardware and network improvements).
2) Microsoft and Marvel were working on a Marvel MMO - when Marvel / Microsoft pulled out of the deal (which is why there's a Champions Online), the problem at that time was that between Marvel, Microsoft and Cryptic - there weren't enough pieces of the pie to make it profitable.  Here they'd be splitting it with Paragon, that's a workable solution for them. 
3) Microsoft has tried repeatedly to get a decent property in the MMO Market and failed repeatedly. 

Now, that's not a lot confidence I know.  But understand that Microsoft very much wants an MMO for the Xbox, they have all along.  Here's one which actually has most of the code in place for them.  All they need to do is update it to work with the current level of technology, and connect it to their systems.   It's actually a very smart move on their part - it's family friendly, it's an MMO, it's a potential income generator and it gets them very good press with the gaming community.  Microsoft loves having good press.

Microsoft needs something for the PC in this space. 

Microsoft has a history of letting game studios do what they do best - giving Paragon Studios the cash and resources to rebuild how they want to achieve a great product isn't a problem for them.  If you're familiar with Bungie and several of their other 'partners' they've usually been pretty good with them. 

At one point they were so keen on City of Heroes they actually put Statesman and others on their "Microsofts Got Game" T-Shirts.  I know a lot of people don't like Microsoft, even more so than Disney... but if you're we're tossing ideas out there, I really feel this is less of a long shot than even the Disney pitch. 

Financially it's a risk for them, they generally don't go in for things this small, but it's small enough they might be able to take it and if it fails not worry, and let Paragon spin off to whatever they want. They've done it before with other companies.

hmmmmm very interesting.

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2012, 04:00:49 PM »
Dont also forget that they were also responsible for the *very* bad version of Shadowrun on the PC/Xbox 360 cross over... and whilst they do tend to let developers do their own thing, they are also *totally* fine shutting down game studio's at a moments notice (FASA Interactive for example. Microsoft *owned* that development studio, closed it down, and it was only after a *lot* of legal wrangling that the IP's were sold on.... Look at the chain of events that had to happen for the creator of Shadowrun to be able to work on another Shadowrun title...)

Also, while the original Halo did come out for the PC, after Microsoft bought Bungie, all the subsequent Halo releases were Xbox-only. Is saving CoH worth the cost of it becoming an Xbox-only game?

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2012, 01:57:17 AM »
I should preface by saying that I have philosophical issues with the XBox that go beyond my apathy for Microsoft, but:

Would that be so bad if it got us our game back?
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Vasarto

• Boss
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2012, 02:21:43 AM »
LOL. This is in NO WAY Serious but a Joke idea

Joke idea - Please do not be offended
Does anyone know any sick dying children who are really REALLY Big fans of City of Heroes?
If so this is what we do! Gather up as much money as we can together as a group and Give him a last wish! Send him to Nasa and let the little kid float around in an Anti grav chamber or maybe build him a playground of his very own and dedicate it to him or whatever else feasible he/she wants!

Than we talk with him and get him and his parents to get in touch with the Last Wish Foundation and get the little kid to tell them he/she wants their game back because of how important it is and how much they like it well...because Like I asked above they gotta already REALLY like the game!
So they ask if the last wish guys can talk to Disney or Microsoft or....anybody if they can further help him convince them to buy the game....something like that becomes a Media SUPER FREAKEN NOVA! Suddenly Fox, CBS, BBC are doing stories on him. Fast Forward. He/she gets to play City of heroes again for as long as he/she has left AND we already funded whatever it was that they wanted. If need be start something up on that Kick starter web site I am sure we could get some people to donate and help us out! I would chip in something like $700.00 to help make it happpen!

We have COH, Helped a dying child get their final wish AND get to play a video game again they once really enjoyed.

Everybody freakin wins....as long as no one finds out!
(0_(0)

Sithis help us if they found out!

Fulcrum

• Lieutenant
  • The Phoenix Effect
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2012, 02:23:39 AM »

Sithis help us if they found out!

It's no joke, politicians of all ilk have been doing things like this for years.  ;D

Vasarto

• Boss
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2012, 02:25:49 AM »

It's no joke, politicians of all ilk have been doing things like this for years.  ;D

lol....um..wait...what?

You cannot be serious?

Fulcrum

• Lieutenant
  • The Phoenix Effect
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2012, 02:29:52 AM »
lol....um..wait...what?

You cannot be serious?

More than half-serious.  Think all those cute little photo-ops during election cycles are 100% honest, heartfelt and real?

... I think I have a few bridges I'd be willing to sell for pennies on the dollar...    ;)

Vasarto

• Boss
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2012, 02:33:42 AM »
well...I ehh...dunno what to say but umm

Serious question
DO...any of you know a sick dying child who LOVES City of Heroes who would be willing to help?

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2012, 02:52:27 AM »

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2012, 02:57:42 AM »
We're... kinda trying to be better than politicians, Fulcrum.

Fulcrum

• Lieutenant
  • The Phoenix Effect
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2012, 03:01:04 AM »
We're... kinda trying to be better than politicians, Fulcrum.

Well...  uh...  can I claim 'Redside Impulses'? ;)

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2012, 03:03:40 AM »
Well...  uh...  can I claim 'Redside Impulses'? ;)
Only if I can claim the same excuse for giving you a power-armored noogie.

Fulcrum

• Lieutenant
  • The Phoenix Effect
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2012, 03:07:07 AM »
If it saves CoX?

I'll take that noogie and sew handles to my underwear for a power-armored wedgie too.

Vasarto

• Boss
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2012, 03:10:50 AM »
If it saves CoX?

I'll take that noogie and sew handles to my underwear for a power-armored wedgie too.

I will take Power Armored Swirlies and Wet Willies!

Hell Power Armor Trash Can and Curve Stomp me if you have too!

Madadh

• Minion
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2012, 05:14:06 AM »
Not sure of they have all been considered and ruled out or not, but wasn't there a bit of a list of celebs that had done AE stories?  Have they all been contacted for potential?  If they were willing to donate their creativity to NCSoft, which is my understanding of what writing AE stories was, then they might well be willing to donate some time or effort or something on CoHs behalf.

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2012, 08:35:59 PM »
I will take Power Armored Swirlies

Coming soon, from your friends at CREY!
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2012, 08:55:39 PM »
Coming soon, from your friends at CREY!
Oh god.  A Crey Tank with Water Blast powers.  "Crey Hydro Tank"

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2012, 09:00:42 PM »
Crey Hydro-Tanks are very good at clearing out clogged toilets and garbage disposals!
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/