Author Topic: +1 posts  (Read 4109 times)

Vasarto

• Boss
+1 posts
« on: December 03, 2012, 04:28:54 AM »
Something fun that we had on Anime-Forums.com before our major upgrades when we hit 10 years old.

Is the option to give a post props lol. Basically its a +1 and -1 system where Giving a Post +1 just basically shows that someone liked it a lot!

If it got like 10 -1's though the post would be hidden from everyone's view. This would basically be for posts that are offensive in some way but not rulebreaking or just something said that too many people disagreed with or hated.
You could still read it but had to click on the read it anyway tab.

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
Re: +1 posts
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 08:43:42 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion. So far as I can determine, the forums we use (SMF) doesn't provide a feature like that as part of its core. It's a feature we'll keep in mind to consider if we ever decide to adopt a new forum system or install extensions, but I don't think that's something we're looking to do in the near future.

Fulcrum

• Lieutenant
  • The Phoenix Effect
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 09:39:53 PM »
I give this post a +1.  =)

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 11:00:18 PM »
I'm reminded of the reputation system that was tried briefly of the CoH forums. It never quite lived up to it's promise and all it really seemed to do was create unneccesary conflict. Even if we could do that here, I'm not sure it would be a good idea.
As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 11:42:37 PM »
One suggestion.

If you implement a post/poster reputation system, limit it to positive input only.  If you give people an option to downrate peoples' posts or people themselves, they will do so for no other reason than to be trolls.

Speaking from experience as an ex-forum admin here.

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 05:29:15 PM »
I'm reminded of the reputation system that was tried briefly of the CoH forums. It never quite lived up to it's promise and all it really seemed to do was create unneccesary conflict. Even if we could do that here, I'm not sure it would be a good idea.
Agreed, that system caused nothing but trouble.

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 05:51:42 PM »
Its a good idea, although I tend to simply use one of my handy, Doctor WHO based "^ THIS!" images to denote my fawning approval with the previous post :D
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/