Author Topic: OK, what now? I need a private server or the ability to run my own.  (Read 333217 times)

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
Re: OK, what now? I need a private server or the ability to run my own.
« Reply #480 on: March 26, 2013, 06:54:16 PM »
No, you want to keep IE. There are some things that will not work in anything else. (A fair number of government form sites.) They're not common, but WHEN you run into one - and you will - you'll be glad all you have to do is gnash your teeth and use IE rather than having to struggle and hope you can find a work-around.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #481 on: March 26, 2013, 08:06:28 PM »
No, you want to keep IE. There are some things that will not work in anything else. (A fair number of government form sites.) They're not common, but WHEN you run into one - and you will - you'll be glad all you have to do is gnash your teeth and use IE rather than having to struggle and hope you can find a work-around.

Dont worry got a gov. computer for that.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #482 on: March 26, 2013, 09:35:13 PM »
I haven't used anything newer than Server/Exchange 08, but the OWA worked much better in IE than in other browsers. That's kind of limited, but, if you work in an office that uses an exchange server, it makes working from home slightly less painful. :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

JetFlash

• Boss
« Reply #483 on: March 27, 2013, 05:38:18 PM »
Ah yes got Firefox about two months ago and no more ads not even on Youtube videos. I dont even bother with IE anymore. Looking back, not sure how did I manage with that or what was I thinking even using that with all the security holes IE had that seemed to get bigger with each update. Today, I'm going to even delete it off my computer totally and finally get rid of that symbol.

Technically you can't "remove" IE, because MS in their infinite wisdom tied the thing into Windows.  You can hide the shortcut, but you have to work quite hard to actually remove it (it is possible, but it is not for the faint of heart).

JetFlash

• Boss
« Reply #484 on: March 27, 2013, 05:43:30 PM »
I haven't used anything newer than Server/Exchange 08, but the OWA worked much better in IE than in other browsers.

This is not accidental.  It will automatically degrade the functionality of OWA unless you are using IE.  More MS wisdom.  :D

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #485 on: March 27, 2013, 07:34:58 PM »

Technically you can't "remove" IE, because MS in their infinite wisdom tied the thing into Windows.  You can hide the shortcut, but you have to work quite hard to actually remove it (it is possible, but it is not for the faint of heart).
Hm
 I thought only thing tied to windows an ie is the update which I do manually myself anyways and things like the clock. So I think it can be removef no issues. Besides not ever computer is hooked up to the internet yet windows work fine

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #486 on: March 27, 2013, 09:37:56 PM »
This is not accidental.  It will automatically degrade the functionality of OWA unless you are using IE.  More MS wisdom.  :D

I know it was deliberate, but it is a necessary evil if you have a MS domain account and can't afford a copy of Outlook. I don't know when it started, but, at least since '08, you can't install IE on anything not running Windows, either. That's also deliberate.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #487 on: March 27, 2013, 09:42:54 PM »
I know it was deliberate, but it is a necessary evil if you have a MS domain account and can't afford a copy of Outlook.
I don't have any MS domain accounts thank goodness.

Aura Controller

• Minion
  • "Hey, is there room in that head for one more?"
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #488 on: March 28, 2013, 05:56:08 AM »
I didn't get any troubling 'ware from SEGS, but my son ended up with the searchnu hijacker on his laptop that survived a reset to factory defaults from the recovery partition. Nothing I could do would remove it. Fortunately, it was limited to Chrome, so I just uninstalled it and put Firefox on. And removed his install privileges.

I used to be really good at removing malware, but these hijackers are getting into places that I can't seem to reach. And, yes, I checked forums. That particular hijacker cost me the better part of a day.

I got that same crap on my system it messed with chrome and firefox. But I'm a hard ass. I got rid of that bull by hand. Heh. Hackers and kiss my shiny metal... oh wait. I mean yeah...
http://www.youtube.com/user/AccidentalPsychopath

Look I'm on YouTube!
Is it OK to advertise that down here? O.o
Also does anyone ever read these?

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #489 on: March 28, 2013, 04:30:24 PM »

You can't actually remove it completely without graunching the help functionality -- the .chm (compiled Windows help) files use the IE rendering engine for presentation. If you remove the rendering engine, you lose the ability to get help in any program that uses the Windows Help structure.

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #490 on: March 28, 2013, 04:57:07 PM »
And I'm so much fond of people wanting to get rid of a handful of megs software that is totally harmless if unused. (I mean, really unused, except to download firefox and go to secure websites). Especially when, unlike windows, you don't get money out of removing it.
Yeeessss....

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #491 on: March 28, 2013, 05:44:15 PM »
You can't actually remove it completely without graunching the help functionality -- the .chm (compiled Windows help) files use the IE rendering engine for presentation. If you remove the rendering engine, you lose the ability to get help in any program that uses the Windows Help structure.

yeah noticed that when I finally got most IE and most of those other useless for my purpose programs that are tied to it deleted. Got a few more left. Only lost features I didnt want, didnt care for, didnt know existed, and didnt find a use for, but most were already disabled from the past.

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #492 on: March 28, 2013, 10:58:43 PM »
Mozilla Firefox + NoScript + AdBlock Plus + Flashblock + Ghostery =  happy Web browsing.  You may need to do some manual enables to use your trusted sites, but you won't get any of that auto-executing crap.
NoScript + AdBlock Plus + RequestPolicy here. NoScript makes Flashblock redundant.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

JetFlash

• Boss
« Reply #493 on: March 29, 2013, 12:33:22 AM »
NoScript + AdBlock Plus + RequestPolicy here. NoScript makes Flashblock redundant.

Almost, though I do like being able to control when and what Flash plays on trusted sites.  If you don't want Flash at all then NoScript will handle it fine.

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #494 on: March 29, 2013, 03:48:35 AM »

Almost, though I do like being able to control when and what Flash plays on trusted sites.  If you don't want Flash at all then NoScript will handle it fine.

Youtube does have that annoying habit of autoplaying too.
Woo! - Argent Girl

The White Rager

• Lieutenant
    • The Wordpile
« Reply #495 on: March 29, 2013, 02:29:20 PM »
Malwarebyte should be on every single system.

It is without doubt the best removal tool I have ever used. Boot into Safemode and run Malwarebyte and it will clean almost anything.

Malwarebyte is good, SUPERAntiSpyware is better. I had Malwarebyte for quite a while on my system and it certainly kept me out of trouble, bailed me out of some bad stuff too (I originally found it when I'd been landed with one of those really tough viruses that detect and interfere with anything that would stop them). But SUPERAntiSpyware is another level up, cleans out alllll the little buggers that have hitched onto my system. Just as free as Malwarebytes. Get it I tell you.

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #496 on: March 29, 2013, 04:18:59 PM »
Youtube does have that annoying habit of autoplaying too.

YouTube will autoplay videos on its site, which is a known thing that you can allow for. More annoying to me are the news sites that will sometimes have an embedded video from a completely unrelated story on a page that's set to autoplay, so if you browse news sites like I do -- read down the page, peruse the links to related stories, and open the ones that sound interesting in new tabs -- and have to flip through six or seven tabs, scrolling each one up and down to find which one is playing the запупу конская video...

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #497 on: March 29, 2013, 08:02:30 PM »
YouTube will autoplay videos on its site, which is a known thing that you can allow for. More annoying to me are the news sites that will sometimes have an embedded video from a completely unrelated story on a page that's set to autoplay, so if you browse news sites like I do -- read down the page, peruse the links to related stories, and open the ones that sound interesting in new tabs -- and have to flip through six or seven tabs, scrolling each one up and down to find which one is playing the запупу конская video...

Yeah prior I just close those sites immediately

Pyron 2.0

• Underling
« Reply #498 on: April 07, 2013, 10:12:01 PM »
Just found this thread..  Been out of it for a while.  I miss coh a lot.  Any new news?

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #499 on: April 07, 2013, 11:02:50 PM »
... запупу конская ...

I'm going to work this into conversation! My kids love that I swear in other languages, even though I don't speak them. Firefly, for instance, was a godsend!  ;D