Author Topic: OK, what now? I need a private server or the ability to run my own.  (Read 333189 times)

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
Re: OK, what now? I need a private server or the ability to run my own.
« Reply #440 on: March 06, 2013, 04:39:20 PM »
Enter options, go to keyboard settings, choose 'Dev' from dropdown, apply.
'F2' should do it's job now.
Nope, although now I can look around.

It may be Win8 at fault. My character is transparent to boot.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 04:48:36 PM by downix »

shadeovblack

• Minion
« Reply #441 on: March 07, 2013, 12:20:49 AM »
You may be trying to fly straight up? I was, but I found out I could move by flying forward.

Kemphler

• Minion
« Reply #442 on: March 07, 2013, 03:58:55 AM »
Nope, although now I can look around.

It may be Win8 at fault. My character is transparent to boot.

Everyone's character is transparent on the SEGS server...nemerle is working on it. Considering nem is doing this solo, I gotta give credit for where it is right now.
"I intend to live forever, or die trying." - Groucho Marx

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #443 on: March 07, 2013, 04:35:06 AM »
Everyone's character is transparent on the SEGS server...nemerle is working on it. Considering nem is doing this solo, I gotta give credit for where it is right now.
No, I mean during character creation, I'm transparent.

Cendwar

• Underling
« Reply #444 on: March 07, 2013, 02:36:19 PM »
No, I mean during character creation, I'm transparent.

Yeah, every stage of seeing the actual character is transparent. It's a graphical bug. He's actually looking to see if anyone at all is able to get the graphics loading properly. So far I don't think anyone has been able to.
Champion Server: Cendwar Dark/EM Tank - Vehement Ragefire SS/FA Brute - Desolation Within Spines/FA Scrapper - General Hoffman AR/Traps Blaster - Thoughtfire Plague FC/PA Dominator - Bash 'n Slash BS/SD Scrapper - Dream Slave - BA/EA Brute

Lightslinger

• Elite Boss
  • @Lightslinger, Virtue
« Reply #445 on: March 07, 2013, 03:23:07 PM »
I wonder what would be best for the community;

-Community Server devs set up and run a single server

OR

-As soon as its done the server code is open sourced and several servers pop up all over the place.

A single server would give our community a way to rally back in one place and rebuild. I'd bet it could feel as active as Virtue or Freedom used to. If it were ever threatened by an NCsoft C&D they could always opensource the code then.

However, going ahead and opensourcing right off the bat guarantees that CoH will always be out in there some way right from day 1, that's some good security.
Honestly, its up to the devs who put the hard work into building it and I'm sure there are plans to make their version of CoH "immortal" and safe from legal threats.

I personally feel like the first Option, launching with only 1 server for at least a while is the best for the community.

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #446 on: March 07, 2013, 09:24:19 PM »
I had always assumed either A: our hometown servers or B:1 big community server.

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #447 on: March 07, 2013, 10:17:01 PM »
I think once its solidly working distributing the code asap would be good. Keeping it so no centralized project can be shut down feels safer to me.
Woo! - Argent Girl

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #448 on: March 07, 2013, 10:25:32 PM »
Yes and no. No centralized product means no centralized community. And community was half or more of the reasons we love this game.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #449 on: March 07, 2013, 10:32:02 PM »
The question is, how does something like that work within the constraints of the game's existing server selection "protocol." Is this something that can be converted to a sort of "waiting room" setup, like the old Wolfenstein and Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory had? I don't know how Runescape handles hosted servers, but I know that most large ISPs make it so that something like a static IP (or, better, a static route) are complicated to acquire. Usually, it's "just" moving to one of their business accounts, but the problem usually is one of expense. For me, I'm on cable internet, which is almost gleefully unreliable when it comes to address reservations.

I'm not nay-saying, nor am I trying to dampen anyone's enthusiasm. These are just "next step" things to consider. Maybe, it's as simple as there being a "here I am" script in the server software that the client software looks for as the program is loading. As I've said, before, we have a lot of really smart, talented people who can no longer participate in their favorite pastime. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to put that potential to use for Good. :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Kemphler

• Minion
« Reply #450 on: March 07, 2013, 10:40:59 PM »
Yeah, every stage of seeing the actual character is transparent. It's a graphical bug. He's actually looking to see if anyone at all is able to get the graphics loading properly. So far I don't think anyone has been able to.

Nem is looking for someone who gets the graphics to load properly?...Well I dunno about properly, but my character, at the very least, is solid during the character creation.

Waffles

• Elite Boss
« Reply #451 on: March 08, 2013, 12:05:50 AM »
I'd say titan should opensource the code just for the immortal status, Just because anyone monitoring the Private Server program probably has a good idea that Titan's server would be the best place to try first. Then the C&D order won't really have any weight to it.

Though i have to ask, is there anyway we could use a "Cleaned up" non "Spaghetti" code? Meaning, a code that is technically not NCsoft's, but can still be used for CoH with little to no bad effects?

Kemphler

• Minion
« Reply #452 on: March 08, 2013, 03:31:09 AM »
I'd say titan should opensource the code just for the immortal status, Just because anyone monitoring the Private Server program probably has a good idea that Titan's server would be the best place to try first. Then the C&D order won't really have any weight to it.

Though i have to ask, is there anyway we could use a "Cleaned up" non "Spaghetti" code? Meaning, a code that is technically not NCsoft's, but can still be used for CoH with little to no bad effects?

The problem is, Titan, officially, doesn't have a server. Let alone the code. So far as we all know. And even if they did, I don't think it'd be a good idea for them to opensource it, simply because if they were to do that, NCSoft would have open season on them.

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #453 on: March 08, 2013, 03:51:05 AM »
The problem is, Titan, officially, doesn't have a server. Let alone the code. So far as we all know. And even if they did, I don't think it'd be a good idea for them to opensource it, simply because if they were to do that, NCSoft would have open season on them.

First things first: This is not an effort by the Titan Network.  I'm not saying that to deflect legal responsibility for it, I'm saying it because I want to make sure the credit is given where credit is due.  I honestly haven't had much time to dig into this so I'm not running it myself, but from what I've seen, Nemerle has made extremely significant strides in reverse engineering this puppy, and I heartily applaud his efforts.  I can't wait to see what comes out of this, and if there are experienced coders out there who can help him, please drop him a PM and see how you can help out.

But anyway, as it's not our code, we have zero control over whether it gets "open sourced" or how it will be distributed or what servers will run it.  I don't want to volunteer running a server myself, because truth is, we're talking amongst ourselves about scaling back the Titan Network server used to run our sites as it is--with folks not hitting the web service that Sentinel used or visiting the Paragon Wiki much any more, we don't need the resources that we once did.  I've got some personal irons in the fire (some CoH-related, some not) that I'd like to save those resources for in case they're needed (such as emergencies among our developers).

Nemerle and I don't talk on a regular basis.  I'm not avoiding him or anything, just staying pretty busy.  But if he's still reading this thread, if you need anything from me, let me know!

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #454 on: March 08, 2013, 05:09:00 PM »
Here is how it could work with decentralized servers:

A forum is built with a Server page. You then have each server assigned a thread and the IP addy and so on entered on a sticky note that is editable by the server owner.

You then can speak with your friends just exactly like on CoH on the server threads. You can recruit and so on and even have a general server talk page where we can all hangout and talk about what is happening in the community.

Moon Roach

• Underling
« Reply #455 on: March 12, 2013, 02:17:08 AM »
Yay!  Dev mode for movement worked great!  Log in -> Create New Character -> Options -> Controls -> Dev Mode -> Save Settings -> F2 -> Movement!

I'm still getting lots of transparent textures but it's so cool to be able to run around.

If I install the server on my own computer, will I be able to set the default map to anything other than Atlas?  I noticed earlier in the thread there was discussion of having switched the default map from Outbreak to Atlas.

And thanks for all the work you've done on this, even if this is as close as we get, it's gratifying to be able to 'run' around in Atlas again :)

Cendwar

• Underling
« Reply #456 on: March 12, 2013, 04:48:45 PM »
Nem is looking for someone who gets the graphics to load properly?...Well I dunno about properly, but my character, at the very least, is solid during the character creation.

You may want to look at this http://segs.nemerle.eu/forumz/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8012&start=20
Champion Server: Cendwar Dark/EM Tank - Vehement Ragefire SS/FA Brute - Desolation Within Spines/FA Scrapper - General Hoffman AR/Traps Blaster - Thoughtfire Plague FC/PA Dominator - Bash 'n Slash BS/SD Scrapper - Dream Slave - BA/EA Brute

Helyom

• Underling
« Reply #457 on: March 21, 2013, 05:56:48 PM »
Listen, i think we can require the legal rigths about "Architect" Mishes that we created. Please, chek it .

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #458 on: March 21, 2013, 05:59:19 PM »
So, if people were to, say, download Sentinel+ a few times a week, and just visit the ParagonWiki and do a short wiki-walk each day or every other day, would that help Titan Networks out?

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #459 on: March 23, 2013, 12:12:53 AM »

Actually, there's nothing they can do so long as 2 things are true.  1) no NCSoft code is in the server.  2) no NCSoft content (artwork, music, maps, etc.)  These battles were fought during 90s between AT&T and everyone who wanted to make a Unix-like OS other than Linux.  The court ruling came down to so long as it has no AT&T code and they didnt' call themselves Unix, the Unix like OSes (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, etc.) can exist and there's nothing AT&T can do about it.

So, as long as whomever puts up a gaming server doesn't use code taken from NCSoft (unlikely to happen) and they don't use any maps, proper names, copied artwork or music tracks/sound tracks, they're fine and can't be touched.
No Surrender!