Author Topic: OK, what now? I need a private server or the ability to run my own.  (Read 333281 times)

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
Re: OK, what now? I need a private server or the ability to run my own.
« Reply #500 on: April 07, 2013, 11:04:29 PM »
Just found this thread..  Been out of it for a while.  I miss coh a lot.  Any new news?

Plenty of things happening, but none of it involves the game being playable again.

Yet.

I hope.

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #501 on: April 07, 2013, 11:33:05 PM »
It is still nice to pop in old Atlas occasionally, though :)
Woo! - Argent Girl

Golden Ace

• Boss
  • Moon Zone Damn it!
« Reply #502 on: April 08, 2013, 02:16:25 AM »
It is still nice to pop in old Atlas occasionally, though :)

Need to find out how to do that.

Kemphler

• Minion
"I intend to live forever, or die trying." - Groucho Marx

SeaLily

• Lieutenant
  • green hair
« Reply #504 on: April 08, 2013, 05:34:57 AM »
It's nice when you can get movement in SEGS to work- though I've got that graphics bug that other people seem to be reporting.  Can't wait to see it get developed further.  Idealy we'd be able to play on an at-shutdown Beta version of the game, but hey, I4 isn't bad!  I have a lot of fond memories of the game back then.  So it'd still be a lot of fun.

Still, being able to "log in" and slide around Atlas for a bit is kind of fun in it's own dumb way.
green hair

beelzebram

• Underling
« Reply #505 on: April 13, 2013, 05:58:23 PM »
If ever a server comes up I would definitely be interested in a PM to test whether it be beta or stress testing. I have beta tested for many game releases over the years and have the knowledge of what is needed to give the devs the information they need to investigate and fix any problems encountered.

Greystar

• Underling
« Reply #506 on: April 22, 2013, 07:21:48 PM »
I have hosted, ran and Modded many servers in my time and would do so with a CoX one as well once it's created I just no longer have the patients to re-write server code any longer so someone else would at least have something that works with the most recent (before shutdown) client and some kind of database containing missions info and preferably event info as well before I start looking into one again.

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #507 on: April 22, 2013, 09:15:15 PM »
Paragon wiki has all the mission, incarnate trial, tf etc info there. In terms of what takes place in them and npc quotes. And then when it comes time to adding powers all the data is there too.

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
  • Sometimes it's harder to let go than to hold on.
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #508 on: April 26, 2013, 10:22:31 PM »
It's nice when you can get movement in SEGS to work- though I've got that graphics bug that other people seem to be reporting.  Can't wait to see it get developed further.  Idealy we'd be able to play on an at-shutdown Beta version of the game, but hey, I4 isn't bad!  I have a lot of fond memories of the game back then.  So it'd still be a lot of fun.

Still, being able to "log in" and slide around Atlas for a bit is kind of fun in it's own dumb way.

Here's a random question (I plan to dl the SEGS stuff tonight and try it out): does the sound/music work? It may be weird, but I really loved the music and ambience sounds. Felt like it made up a lot of the game.

More than happy to slide around AP :). Have they figured out how to transfer zones and go to other places yet?
Name: Safehouse     Origin: Magic
Powers: Energy Blast/Electricity Manipulation/Flame Mastery/Teleportation
Security Level: 50+
Last Seen: Wandering the empty streets of the evacuated Paragon City.

SARobb

• Boss
  • Rawr.
« Reply #509 on: April 26, 2013, 11:06:15 PM »
More than happy to slide around AP :). Have they figured out how to transfer zones and go to other places yet?

Negative Ghost Rider, you are confined to Atlas for the time being...
Stand up for what you beleive in - even if you are standing alone

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #510 on: April 26, 2013, 11:42:13 PM »
Negative Ghost Rider, you are confined to Atlas for the time being...

Aww that's to bad... but I'll take what I can get! It'd be nice to be on again. (heeehee Ghost Rider)

Also it'll be interesting to see earlier stuff (I think it's i4, as I recall). I joined in issue 16 (just before issue 17 actually), and I never saw some of the really early things, like pre power proliferation or pre ED

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #511 on: April 28, 2013, 03:16:37 PM »
Aww that's to bad... but I'll take what I can get! It'd be nice to be on again. (heeehee Ghost Rider)

Also it'll be interesting to see earlier stuff (I think it's i4, as I recall). I joined in issue 16 (just before issue 17 actually), and I never saw some of the really early things, like pre power proliferation or pre ED

There's not really much to see pre-power proliferation actually. Most of the power sets were simply limited to specific ATs, and that's about all there was to it.

Pre-ED on the other hand is very different from what we had at shut down. Granted, 6-slotting damage SOs, while sounding great in theory for when you manage to actually hit something, is just plain bad build planning for most attacks/builds in general.

ED was part one of a two step approach of getting us all to stop 6-slotting all of our powers with only one enhancement type so we could actually have semi-balanced builds that could function reliably. Part two of course being IOs...

Ice Trix

• Boss
« Reply #512 on: April 29, 2013, 10:31:17 AM »

It's interesting to see costume creator back then, and lots of other semi-trivial like stuff thats changed.

BadWolf

• Elite Boss
« Reply #513 on: April 29, 2013, 02:26:15 PM »
There's not really much to see pre-power proliferation actually. Most of the power sets were simply limited to specific ATs, and that's about all there was to it.

Pre-ED on the other hand is very different from what we had at shut down. Granted, 6-slotting damage SOs, while sounding great in theory for when you manage to actually hit something, is just plain bad build planning for most attacks/builds in general.

ED was part one of a two step approach of getting us all to stop 6-slotting all of our powers with only one enhancement type so we could actually have semi-balanced builds that could function reliably. Part two of course being IOs...

The issue wasn't six-slotting damage, it was six-slotting recharge in powers that were intended to be situational. Perma-Hasten was so easy that there was no reason not to do it, especially with six-slotted Stamina giving you more Endurance than we get post-ED. Or perma-MOG, or perma-Unstoppable, or pumping out 3 sets of pets at once...

Don't get me wrong, I would totally play a pre-ED CoH. Because I loved the game back then, too. :) But ED was a necessary step in making the powers' behavior predictable enough to be able to add new powersets and archetypes and make them balanced against what was already in the game.

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #514 on: April 29, 2013, 03:51:16 PM »
The issue wasn't six-slotting damage, it was six-slotting recharge in powers that were intended to be situational. Perma-Hasten was so easy that there was no reason not to do it, especially with six-slotted Stamina giving you more Endurance than we get post-ED. Or perma-MOG, or perma-Unstoppable, or pumping out 3 sets of pets at once...

Don't get me wrong, I would totally play a pre-ED CoH. Because I loved the game back then, too. :) But ED was a necessary step in making the powers' behavior predictable enough to be able to add new powersets and archetypes and make them balanced against what was already in the game.

That was a part of the reason as well, but when you get right down to it, the reason was quite simply that players were intentionally 6-slotting all their powers with a single enhancement type which varied depending on the power, which while great in theory could inadvertently gimp your build, and in some cases could greatly imbalance your build in ways the Developers never intended.

I used 6-slotting with damage for my example simply because without accuracy enhancements you'll almost never hit anything, and that's one of the things that the developers wanted to steer people away from.

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #515 on: April 29, 2013, 05:34:09 PM »

You could exploit a very tight niche with a Scrapper by taking Focused Accuracy and six-slotting it for to-hit and end reduction so you could run it continuously, using that to take care of the missing Accuracy in your attacks, letting you six-slot them all for damage (or whatever mix of Damage, End, and Recharge you liked) without having to throw Acc into the mix. Doing it this way, of course, had the drawback that if you exemped down below the level at which you could use Focused Accuracy, your combat effectiveness dropped into the toilet.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #516 on: April 29, 2013, 05:52:13 PM »
6 slotted BURN, that alone led to the IO's. Having huge orange numbers roll out from dumpsters was amazing.

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #517 on: April 29, 2013, 07:08:16 PM »
You could exploit a very tight niche with a Scrapper by taking Focused Accuracy and six-slotting it for to-hit and end reduction so you could run it continuously, using that to take care of the missing Accuracy in your attacks, letting you six-slot them all for damage (or whatever mix of Damage, End, and Recharge you liked) without having to throw Acc into the mix. Doing it this way, of course, had the drawback that if you exemped down below the level at which you could use Focused Accuracy, your combat effectiveness dropped into the toilet.

Devices blasters were quite popular with 6 slot targeting drone also, as were 1/5 or 2/4 end/heal slotted regen scrappers with 6 slotted stamina and QR to power the end use of constant attacking.

BadWolf

• Elite Boss
« Reply #518 on: April 29, 2013, 09:21:58 PM »
That was a part of the reason as well, but when you get right down to it, the reason was quite simply that players were intentionally 6-slotting all their powers with a single enhancement type which varied depending on the power, which while great in theory could inadvertently gimp your build, and in some cases could greatly imbalance your build in ways the Developers never intended.

I used 6-slotting with damage for my example simply because without accuracy enhancements you'll almost never hit anything, and that's one of the things that the developers wanted to steer people away from.

I agree, but it wasn't just that it imbalanced the existing build, it was that future content couldn't be balanced without restoring a measure of predictability to the way existing powers performed. If your current ranged archetypes do somewhere between (random numbers here, I don't know how existing archetypes performed) 50-100 dps, depending on powersets, then you would know that the next powerset needed to fit in that range. But if perma-Hasten, 6-slotted Stamina, 6-slotted Targeting Drone and 6-slotted damage SOs meant that /Devices Blasters did 2000 dps, you're never going to be able to create anything else. Because do you balance future content around the 2000-dps freaks and leave everyone else frustrated, or do you balance around the 100-dps "expected" characters and leave the /Devices blasters bored to tears?

This, AIUI, is the problem Champions Online has with its freeform characters. Either you balance around the optimized freeform build, in which case the majority of powers become so sub-optimal as to be useless, or you balance around the hypothetical "normal" character, in which case the optimized build waltzes through content designed for whole teams. (Mind you, you can go too far the other way as well, which was the charge leveled against ED at the time--if nothing ever provides any advantage, then you're not really giving options, just the illusion of same. There's always going to be a better choice.)

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #519 on: May 04, 2013, 04:09:41 PM »
See, this makes me look at the enhancement system at around the time I joined and wonder why ED got so much hate. While I can understand why someone might want to six slot recharge, damage, accuracy etc etc etc, it feels kind of... idk... game breaking to me. That's just my not-so-informed-opinion, but I'd much rather have limits to what I can do with enhancements to make build-making more intuitive and give more challenge to the game.