Author Topic: OK, what now? I need a private server or the ability to run my own.  (Read 333248 times)

therain93

• Elite Boss
Re: OK, what now? I need a private server or the ability to run my own.
« Reply #580 on: May 25, 2013, 12:18:49 PM »
If you do the powerhouse make it part of the zone rather than a separate area. Extra loadscreens always suck. Even with a fast machine and a ssd.
You could always go with a hybrid approach -- let people level up as "normal" as well as say incorporate the powerhouse feature as an option of a supergroup-equivalent base.  It provides motivation for a base/lair, is strictly optional but can be thematic, and can become a bit of a curency sink if necessary.
@Texarkana - March 5, 2004 - December 1, 2012 -- Imageshack |-| Youtube
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't know what it's like.... |-| Book One. Chapter one...

Whiteseeker

• Underling
« Reply #581 on: May 26, 2013, 08:28:46 PM »
I can not bring myself to read 30 pages so ummm, can someone be so kind as to PM me or send me a yes or no about the private server deal? I have waited months to check back about this. I have played no other MMO since the close of CoX. I want to play it even if it is alone on my comp! I don't mind...Much appreciated :) Emial is stitchwhitewolf@comcast.net if someone wants to just email me about my question. Thank you :)
CoH player since beginning.

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #582 on: May 27, 2013, 10:45:05 AM »
I can not bring myself to read 30 pages so ummm, can someone be so kind as to PM me or send me a yes or no about the private server deal? I have waited months to check back about this. I have played no other MMO since the close of CoX.
The only available private server right now is SEGS: http://segs.nemerle.eu/forumz/index.php
If all you want is to visit Paragon City, then Titan Icon can help scratch that itch: http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,7288.0.html

I want to play it even if it is alone on my comp!
CoH was built as a MMO. It has NO single player functionality whatsoever. In short, any assumption that "just a single player version" would be easier to produce is fundamentally wrong. It would actually amount to far more work than creating a private server.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 10:54:05 AM by The Fifth Horseman »
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #583 on: May 28, 2013, 10:18:17 PM »
CoH was built as a MMO. It has NO single player functionality whatsoever. In short, any assumption that "just a single player version" would be easier to produce is fundamentally wrong. It would actually amount to far more work than creating a private server.

Not entirely true, unless you mean re-working all the TFs and Trials to allow a single player to start them, and scaling open-world AVs/Giant Monsters down dramatically. The game, for the most part (especially after the AV change that scaled them down to EBs if your difficulty was low enough when solo), scaled pretty well for doing missions solo.

In fact, it would require about the same amount of time and effort I imagine that it does to create a private server, because essentially that's what you'd have to do. I think any "solo version" would essentially be mimicking a server locally on your machine, so why not just make the server and run it locally if it's going to do the exact same thing?

Sol Eternal

• Underling
« Reply #584 on: May 28, 2013, 10:27:50 PM »
The Icon now allows access to the zones. It's great to fly around Paragon once again. See this thread...

http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,7288.0.html

Triumph Server
Hero of the City
Chief of Supergroup - Guardians of Eternal Justice

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #585 on: May 28, 2013, 10:41:06 PM »
Not entirely true, unless you mean re-working all the TFs and Trials to allow a single player to start them, and scaling open-world AVs/Giant Monsters down dramatically. The game, for the most part (especially after the AV change that scaled them down to EBs if your difficulty was low enough when solo), scaled pretty well for doing missions solo.

In fact, it would require about the same amount of time and effort I imagine that it does to create a private server, because essentially that's what you'd have to do. I think any "solo version" would essentially be mimicking a server locally on your machine, so why not just make the server and run it locally if it's going to do the exact same thing?

well hell I should of posted my question about single payer and COX here.

From what I gather about private servers given that the population is probably going to be a lot smaller, it make sense to make it single player capable too. Or else it would render 90% of the end game moot (if that version is used) and any TF/Trial is moot and useless. Which leaves the mundane repeat with different skin 30% of them being CoT missions to be played over and over and over and over which dont sound like much fun to me personally.

From the looks of it, seeing how alot of things already scaled to EB for single player and up dependign on team size the mechanic is already there and by definition, it's there for TF and trials. That why with small team on some TFs you end up with EB at end instead of full AV for larger teams. It's probably isnt hard to scale it for single player since the scale mechanics is already there anyways.

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #586 on: May 28, 2013, 11:22:25 PM »
well hell I should of posted my question about single payer and COX here.

From what I gather about private servers given that the population is probably going to be a lot smaller, it make sense to make it single player capable too. Or else it would render 90% of the end game moot (if that version is used) and any TF/Trial is moot and useless. Which leaves the mundane repeat with different skin 30% of them being CoT missions to be played over and over and over and over which dont sound like much fun to me personally.

From the looks of it, seeing how alot of things already scaled to EB for single player and up dependign on team size the mechanic is already there and by definition, it's there for TF and trials. That why with small team on some TFs you end up with EB at end instead of full AV for larger teams. It's probably isnt hard to scale it for single player since the scale mechanics is already there anyways.

True, but if you want to rescale those TFs and Trials down, I imagine that could be done by adjusting things on the server's setup in some fashion, which would be something that can wait until after a functioning server can be established and released into the wild.

Essentially, all you'd need to do is override the TF/Trial team member requirements from 4(or whatever it is) to 1 so it can be started solo, and the rest is a matter of making sure your difficulty settings match what you can actually handle. I've known people who've duo-ed Positron TFs(The original grindfest version that was the bane of so many peoples' low-level careers), so if two people can tackle that, one person shouldn't be much harder. But again, that can probably be changed from server settings for the NPCs that are being spawned for that mission. (I think all the NPCs were probably difficulty-scaled and setup from the servers, not from the client, so again, a Server would be needed to handle the NPCs)

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #587 on: May 28, 2013, 11:26:11 PM »
If enough of the AE could be cobbled together to work, I imagine we'd have plenty of content even if they were the only mishes that worked besides radios and street sweeping :)
Woo! - Argent Girl

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #588 on: May 28, 2013, 11:41:29 PM »
True, but if you want to rescale those TFs and Trials down, I imagine that could be done by adjusting things on the server's setup in some fashion, which would be something that can wait until after a functioning server can be established and released into the wild.

Essentially, all you'd need to do is override the TF/Trial team member requirements from 4(or whatever it is) to 1 so it can be started solo, and the rest is a matter of making sure your difficulty settings match what you can actually handle. I've known people who've duo-ed Positron TFs(The original grindfest version that was the bane of so many peoples' low-level careers), so if two people can tackle that, one person shouldn't be much harder. But again, that can probably be changed from server settings for the NPCs that are being spawned for that mission. (I think all the NPCs were probably difficulty-scaled and setup from the servers, not from the client, so again, a Server would be needed to handle the NPCs)

yup

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #589 on: May 29, 2013, 12:37:39 AM »
Not entirely true, unless you mean re-working all the TFs and Trials to allow a single player to start them, and scaling open-world AVs/Giant Monsters down dramatically.
Quite a few of the requests for "just a single player version" that I've seen went right into that territory, as I recall.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

daveyfiacre

• Lieutenant
« Reply #590 on: May 31, 2013, 02:55:59 PM »
Quite a few of the requests for "just a single player version" that I've seen went right into that territory, as I recall.

yep!

i've always figured, if there were to be a solo-version, a fun thing might be to scale everything to the player's level and the player actually be the only thing with an actual level so he could go just about anywhere at anytime, but i'm sure that would be broken and more work lol

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #591 on: May 31, 2013, 06:25:36 PM »
But cant you see what a new power looks like, before you ever exit the character creator due to the power customization screen? Or are people talking about being able to try it out on a trial NPC or something...? Clueless here.

That is exactly it. Rather than choosing blindly (well, with MIDs maybe not so blindly) a power that might look cool but not have the effects (debuffs, damage, whatever) you want, you can try out powers to make sure they will work power-wise, not just looks-wise.

And I fully support such a trying out type thing.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

KrazyKracker

• Underling
« Reply #592 on: June 19, 2013, 07:34:42 AM »
If someone would PM or email (ksmithdyt1992@gmial.com) me very specific instructions on how to go about rekindling my passion for CoX, that would be incredible. I'm not very computer savvy, but I loved the game!

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #593 on: June 19, 2013, 02:33:27 PM »
Fortunately, you've misspelled the domain name, so you may be 'bot-proof, but you don't want to put your full email address in a publicly searchable forum, like this. You open yourself up to Spam and other unwanted emails.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #594 on: June 28, 2013, 05:44:50 AM »
Just tried SEGS... If possible, I'd like to see chat come back in a small way (perhaps XMPP can be hooked into the server so any chat input heads to a Jabber server and can also be seen in a client outside of CoX... It's in XML, don't know if that helps.)

IANAP, of course.  Web development only goes so far.
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Blackbird_71

• Underling
« Reply #595 on: July 10, 2013, 03:02:16 PM »
I'd also so love to see this as a downloadable server. I realize there may exist one online solution, I'd still prefer to have my own home hosted server for me and my friends.

Thank you to all who have worked on this.

Blackbird71

• Minion
« Reply #596 on: July 10, 2013, 07:06:43 PM »
I'd also so love to see this as a downloadable server. I realize there may exist one online solution, I'd still prefer to have my own home hosted server for me and my friends.

Thank you to all who have worked on this.

Ok, so I haven't checked in here in a while, and what do I see on the thread list?  A topic with the most recent post made by me, and done today?!?  Figuring it was a bug, I came to check it out.  Lo and behold, there's the little difference of an underscore, lol!

Blackbird71, not to be confused with Blackbird_71!

Zombie Man

• Elite Boss
« Reply #597 on: July 10, 2013, 07:38:38 PM »
Clones!

You must now fight to the death leaving us wonder if the original one.

Phaetan

• Elite Boss
« Reply #598 on: July 10, 2013, 08:10:59 PM »
Wait!  We need nine more clones to make it a badge run!
(I can't help it, I'm from Pinnacle.)

Heroette

• Elite Boss
  • Penelope Pistol lives forever in my heart.
« Reply #599 on: July 10, 2013, 09:43:50 PM »
And Ewan McGregor!!!!