Author Topic: OK, what now? I need a private server or the ability to run my own.  (Read 333204 times)

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
Re: OK, what now? I need a private server or the ability to run my own.
« Reply #640 on: July 20, 2013, 02:33:29 AM »
I don't go to sites like those on my home system but my work system is locked up tight with proxies and everything and no local admin or downloads possible, hell I used to go to blacksun back in the day from my work system. If you haven't heard of it - that was a gray hat site with all the hacking scripts and tools needed.

You could hack any NT or Windows 95/98 system using plugins from there.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #641 on: July 20, 2013, 02:35:04 AM »
Yeah?

Here at my work, the gov kind of frown on visting those types of sites on their computers. Hell, they frown upon visiting this site on their computers.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #642 on: July 20, 2013, 03:35:35 PM »
You could hack any NT or Windows 95/98 system using plugins from there.

I would plug in my W98 machine for you to take a crack at, but it's a laptop with no onboard ethernet port. I have a PCMCIA ethernet adapter, but it's 10base-T, which my router and switch both refuse to recognize.

*sigh* Technology marches on...
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Graydar

• Lieutenant
« Reply #643 on: July 20, 2013, 07:02:06 PM »
Yeah?

Here at my work, the gov kind of frown on visting those types of sites on their computers. Hell, they frown upon visiting this site on their computers.

Vist this site and give them a scare.

Go onnnnnnn.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #644 on: July 20, 2013, 07:14:36 PM »
Vist this site and give them a scare.

Go onnnnnnn.
lmao. I'd probably get fired if they seen that on my computer. lmao.

And as overreactive as the media and gov is sometimes, it probably would end up asa big news story and deployment before they realize what it actually was.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #645 on: July 24, 2013, 03:21:32 PM »
I downloaded the ones that NC$oft had on the official site shortly before the lights went out, and it appears to be a correct copy. If the one on http://www.cityofheroes.ca is not correct, someone can probably thumbnail me instructions on how to upload the one I have to the Google Drive folder above.

The one on coh.ca was not correct. However, I have fixed it! I think. I moved the page that was out of place, and the correct issue should be in the google drive folder, as well as the original just in case.

Edit: I should note that the google drive in-browser preview appears to make the images pixelated or colorized oddly. The actual PDF looks as it should.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 03:26:52 PM by Felderburg »
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Risha

• Boss
  • Dancing at the end of the World
« Reply #646 on: December 17, 2013, 01:06:01 AM »
All right.  Every time I come over to Titan I definitely check this forum just in case I missed something illegal that I really want back. :)  I see no one has posted lately, too bad, so I will.  Yes, I would love a private server.  Hell, I would even love a downloadable game that I had to play alone, though that sure wouldn't be as much fun as spending time in the community.  I tried out Valiance Online and had a hard time visualizing how good it could be.  I funded CoT...but if COX ever manages to get a sneaky back door into it, I'm in.
Writer of Fantasy and Fantasy Romance

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #647 on: December 17, 2013, 02:34:57 AM »
COX ever manages to get a sneaky back door into it, I'm in.

Same here, if I ever happen to get a PM with a link to an unknown download. I'd download and install after a virus scan just to see what it could possible be..... ;)

Until then it's Secret World, D3, Marvel Heroes and the three side projects going on here when they come out.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #648 on: December 17, 2013, 04:17:07 AM »
Mysterious downloads are why God created virtual machines.

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #649 on: December 17, 2013, 01:56:32 PM »
:)

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #650 on: December 17, 2013, 05:47:12 PM »
There's something called S.C.o.R.E. going on, and its thread spawned an interesting conversation about Copyright law: http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,9346.0.html

Unfortunately, it was locked before I could ask: What does "SCORE" stand for?
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #651 on: December 17, 2013, 06:25:59 PM »
Unfortunately, it was locked before I could ask: What does "SCORE" stand for?

Secret Cabal of Reverse Engineers

It started out as a joke comment, but it got unofficially adopted ;D

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #652 on: December 17, 2013, 07:04:06 PM »
Ah, I was thinking Secret City of Reverse Engineering, so... close enough, I guess?

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #653 on: December 17, 2013, 11:33:32 PM »

"Listen! Strange women lying in ponds distributing magical swords is no basis for a good game!"

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #654 on: December 18, 2013, 01:23:15 AM »

Not to mention better performance, application isolation, and OS testing without wrecking your gaming setup.
No Surrender!

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #655 on: December 18, 2013, 01:38:42 AM »
So.  IN A WORLD... of private servers.

(Should some people eventually reverse engineer some kind of software that allows one to create private servers in order to play games using the COH freely distributed I24 Beta client software and distribute it throughout the online world -- either from the SCORE group or from some other even more secret effort that none of us know anything about)

I've been thinking about how the community could operate and play as a community... since there would be no common "world". 

It occurs to me that a desirable support product would be some kind of standard character storage record format -- and software -- that would allow one to down-port and up-port characters from a modified Reverse Engineered server (whether that server was actually emulating City of Heroes or some completely different game developed to use the I24 COH client software).   

If such a thing existed, then players who played scattered across different servers' games could still freely associate.  Even if you were mostly playing on a server named "Atlas Park 333", you could have your characters visit "Steel Canyon 420" which might be hosted in another nation or might even be a completely different version of the game you were playing.

It also occurs that if movement between private servers were trivial, then the private servers themselves could cooperate to form some kind of network, so that one server doesn't have to host all the zones that are available in the client.  Different people's servers could host compatible sub-sets of the game(s), maybe ten servers hosting the "Pocket D" environment, while 5 other servers had different versions of the "Independence Port" map, while others hosted an entirely new map that had become popular and been shared across the community.

If you created a character using ICON (or an equivalent reverse-engineered tool) you might be able to take that character and play them in the "Salot Landing" game.  In fact, with enough community development, it might eventually become possible to coordinate servers to make movement between games and servers as unremarkable as movement between zones of the old City of Heroes game...

But perhaps I've dashed wildly into fantasy here.

"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #656 on: December 18, 2013, 03:55:54 AM »
Not to mention better performance, application isolation, and OS testing without wrecking your gaming setup.

Buzz Killer!

RockLeeXIII

• Minion
« Reply #657 on: December 18, 2013, 06:28:29 AM »
There is a lot of Jib Jab here ... i think the current conversation seems to be sorta off the point of a functioning private server ... i've been gone for some time and seems as if i have not missed much .

A functioning server where we can all hang out would be Ideal ... A single player test environment
would be great too ...

guess i just miss CoH/V very much  :'(

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #658 on: December 18, 2013, 06:55:52 PM »
It occurs to me that a desirable support product would be some kind of standard character storage record format -- and software -- that would allow one to down-port and up-port characters from a modified Reverse Engineered server (whether that server was actually emulating City of Heroes or some completely different game developed to use the I24 COH client software).   

One thing to note... in one UO shard where I coded, I wrote a magic system. This system involved memorizing spells from your spellbook rather than casting them from your spellbook. So your character would have a list of "spells in memory" as a characteristic (or as a statistic, whichever you prefer). When the character is saved, this list of spells would have to be saved with them. Now, this is a custom magic system... another shard would not have it, and therefore when the character data is presented to them, they have a large section of the data that is incomprehensible. With most coding styles, this would crash the load, and prevent the character from being loaded.

There are some work-arounds that would mitigate the situation (for example, you have to put the data's name, and the loaders for all of the custom servers look for a name that would tell it what to do with the upcoming section of data). You would still have the issue where a mage from another shard would not be able to cast any spells in this shard since he didn't have any spells memorized, but at least the statistics that are common across all of the shards (or servers) would still function. And it's assumed that if you actually got agreement about how to write a "accept anything" character saver/loader, you would also agree on standard values so that you don't have one server using unusually high values of HPs or Endurance, and messing things up when characters from that server are loaded elsewhere.

Basically, the point is this: the more variety and customizing you allow to each server, the less interoperability there will be, even to the point where (like the private UO shards) characters are not transferable in the slightest. But requiring interoperability might stifle creativity and custom ATs, powers, etc.

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #659 on: December 19, 2013, 12:13:07 AM »

Basically, the point is this: the more variety and customizing you allow to each server, the less interoperability there will be, even to the point where (like the private UO shards) characters are not transferable in the slightest. But requiring interoperability might stifle creativity and custom ATs, powers, etc.

Which is a choice you make if you abandon interoperability -- as you described it, your system couldn't possibly work with transferred characters anyway -- "a mage from another shard would not be able to cast any spells in this shard since he didn't have any spells memorized," -- so why would you worry about transferred characters? -- its not like an agreed standard record could hurt you.
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"