Author Topic: OK, what now? I need a private server or the ability to run my own.  (Read 333190 times)

sindyr

• Boss
Re: OK, what now? I need a private server or the ability to run my own.
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2012, 08:44:24 PM »
I would gratefully settle for some indication that someone is actively working on it with even a vague eta...

because if I haven't heard of any, and *you* haven't heard of any, and others haven't heard of any, than maybe it just not being BUILT.

Which sucks.

<--- CoX Withdrawl.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2012, 09:23:01 PM »
No one's heard of anything because if it is being worked on, it has to be hush hush to avoid legal action. I'm just waiting for a PM like you. If it comes, great. If not... well, we'll have to move on.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2012, 09:25:12 PM »
Well, if you want it built, maybe you could, you know, do it.
Yeeessss....

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2012, 09:25:26 PM »
Putting myself on the list for a PM.

sindyr

• Boss
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2012, 09:28:12 PM »
Well, if you want it built, maybe you could, you know, do it.

I so would, but my talents are at cross purposes with the skill set required.

TinFoil

• Minion
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2012, 09:35:39 PM »
I like PMs... just saying.

I would even beta test any PMs as I have a powerful computer and lightening fast internet which could be used for tweaking.

I'm not in a rush though; I know this sort of work is extraordinary in nature.

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2012, 09:55:17 PM »
I like PMs... just saying.

I would even beta test any PMs as I have a powerful computer and lightening fast internet which could be used for tweaking.

I'm not in a rush though; I know this sort of work is extraordinary in nature.
You've been put on the "PM sending" beta tester list, too bad you can only subscribe to one beta test :D
Yeeessss....

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2012, 09:55:51 PM »
Putting myself on the list for a PM.
This.  If it wasn't clear before.

Arctic Force.

• Lieutenant
  • I am A Blaster.....Floors Fear Me!!
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2012, 09:59:45 PM »
I would like to be on the list also. thank you
One the biggest entertainment franchises was saved by a letter writing campaign. Now it has 4 spin-off tv shows an animated series, eleven movies plus 1 in the works, multiple games And pretty much started "Fan-Cons". Thanks Mr. Roddenberry  Earn free bitcoin

SARobb

• Boss
  • Rawr.
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2012, 10:03:00 PM »
As would I. I lack the direct knowledge to assist... but if I can do anything to help let me know.
Stand up for what you beleive in - even if you are standing alone

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2012, 11:00:41 PM »
Same here. I don't have any real programming knowledge. But if there's anything I can do, ask. I still have the main City of Heroes client on my machine as well as the Test and Beta Clients. (Though I have uninstalled that wretched NCSoft Launcher. I never did want to install that in the first place!)

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2012, 12:09:39 AM »

Not surprised. Realizing an emulator does take much time.

You are asking for:

Some single person who is working in his spare time after his day job to effectively accomplish what a TEAM of people working FULL TIME did. 

You are asking for:

This single person who is working in his spare time to do in a few weeks what a TEAM of people working FULL TIME took at least a year to do.

This is the reality.  A year, if you are lucky, before you hear of something of the sort.  Even then, once and emu is in place, you have to find a host, and a LOT of content will have to be retrofitted from the stuff that had been relocated server-side (from what I gather, that would be text and mission-content).

*thus spake the former systems programmer*
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

sindyr

• Boss
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2012, 12:23:58 AM »
Just to be clear, *I* wasn't asking anything, apart from have the people who had been making claims before about doing it vanished into the woodwork?

And has anyone else stepped up to the plate?

Luckily, the CoH setup puts most of the oomph into their client, which we already have.  The server should be slim by comparison, I would think.

SeaLily

• Lieutenant
  • green hair
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2012, 12:35:43 AM »
I'm honestly kind of surprised that there were no CoH private servers running before the game shut down.  Like, it's an 8 year old game.  You'd think someone would have set one up somewhere along the line on their own.  The interest must not have been there.

I know there was someone who has a VERY basic one going, elsewhere on the internet that you can find yourself, but it's the game from 2004 and you're limited to making a guy and loading into Outbreak and then logging out because the game isn't actually playable at that point.

Personally I think the reason most people make private MMO servers is so they can skip a game's grind and just play endgame raids all the time.  CoH didn't really have a grind, or even endgame raid type content, so it's not like that reasoning ever appealed to anyone.  Which is probably why nobody really got it working.
green hair

Gypsea

• Underling
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2012, 02:28:10 AM »
Putting myself on the PM list and offering up my meager programming skills.

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2012, 04:22:28 AM »

Tivomaniac

• Minion
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2012, 01:37:57 PM »
I too would be very interested in being able to play so PM me if you get something going.
--
You may know me as @PricklyDarkness from Triumph

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2012, 01:54:46 PM »
Considering we cant even get into the CC yet, I'd imagine the vaguest concept of logging in and even jogging in place are a bit... outlandish... for at least 3-6 months (being GENEROUS).

When such a thing happens I imagine the people performing this will have plenty of betatesters - if not just eachother, because I DOUBT that anyones doing this solo.

So, good luck getting anything to work. Don't feel any pressure from me, I'll just be happy knowing someones working on this. I just hope if server emulation is achieved in any small way it gets distributed to protect from seizure or C&D.

Honestly, the more they say publiclly, like here, or to whoever wants the info, the more dangerous it becomes for them, and us.

Please, take your time, protect yourselves and the community in the process... while respecting us all for desperately wanting to beg you to go faster because we have more faith in you than we have good sense :)
Woo! - Argent Girl

chasearcanum

• Boss
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2012, 02:00:13 PM »
Lucas defended the IP until it became funny to him. :)

Also, I thought I read somewhere that, once "fail" to defend the IP, it kind of opens the door, so to speak. Not sure the SWG emulator falls under that, or it just didn't matter against the Bioware/SOE IP issue, which actually involved money.  So far, aside from some Internet celebrity, I don't know of anyone profiting from the SW IP without getting explicit permission.

trademarks, you have to defend, since they're supposed to serve as a brand identity. once they get "diluted" too far and become part of general use, it is no longer a valid "mark of trade".

copyright, not.  Your copyright is protected pretty much regardless of whether you forget about it or not. 

Nafaustu

• Boss
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2012, 04:43:53 PM »
We should really have added that to the 'loyal customer' pitch:

Everyone who wanted to play this game stayed with the official one.   Unlike darn near every other old game, there -were- no private servers.   That's the equivalent of SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

Heh.