Author Topic: OK, what now? I need a private server or the ability to run my own.  (Read 333201 times)

HarvesterOfEyes

• Lieutenant
  • Mine is to collect from the wicked.
Re: OK, what now? I need a private server or the ability to run my own.
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2012, 05:06:30 PM »
I would just like to have "fair use" of the copyrighted material. Much like I have the unlimited right to read a book I possess. It harms the author and publisher not at all that I didn't throw the book away after they stopped printing new copies of it.

I've no plans and no intention to profit from it, I merely want to be able to play the game, even if that means in a solo-only or lan-only mode.

I haven't had the time nor resources to commit that many of the good people of this community have had in the last few months, but I've certainly reached a point of wanting to make a hobby out of cracking this nut.

...and I would very much like to be in touch with others who are like-minded.

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2012, 05:52:56 PM »
Please add me to the PM list, I would be delighted to help beta-test and my lips are sealed.

SARobb

• Boss
  • Rawr.
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2012, 05:56:57 PM »
Lips are sealed about what?

*innocent blink*

;D
Stand up for what you beleive in - even if you are standing alone

Metal Mountain

• Minion
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2012, 06:37:39 PM »
Yes,

I for one welcome our new PM friendly overlords  ;D
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 10:34:24 AM by Metal Mountain »
If a jerk hacker is found, we reverse hack-jerk. -Pohsyb

chasearcanum

• Boss
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2012, 07:05:51 PM »
I should add that, if there was a  PM list for such a thing, the PM'er should be careful with who they add, as NCSoft has made a concerted effort to infiltrate such organizations during their enforcement operations in the past.   Screen previous posts, learn a bit about the people.  Do they seem credible?  Add only credible sources.  Early versions of any such private server are bound to be buggy and problematic, so people that have some technical experience would probably work best until things are stable

As an example of a credible person technically-inclined person, take my account.  It's been active for a few months, posts on a wide variety of issues, etc.  I work in the tech industry and manage a team troubleshooting several hundred machines daily.  I have an established history AND some degree of tech savvy.  I'd be a good candidate for said list.  Really.  Really good.... If such a PM list exists, I should really be put on it, no other questions asked.  I'm THAT solid of a candidate- no such PM list would be complete without me.  ;) 

So, if such a PM list exists, for your own sake, make sure I'm included, ok?  :D

Please?

Kriiden

• Lieutenant
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2012, 11:15:39 PM »
Via the previous post, I know I may get looked over, despite being a 6.5 year vet,

All I can say is, may I please get a PM if this get's actively worked on? Would love to hop into CoX again...

Thanks

spindisc

• Minion
    • Random Dice - CoH
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2012, 11:24:57 PM »
PM list for me too, should such one exist.

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2012, 11:35:28 PM »
Count me amongst those who wants a PM should this occur. Please.
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2012, 12:23:35 AM »
Yeah, but I'll give you a pony.

It's fictional, and it'll only exist if you close your eyes, buuuut... :D
Woo! - Argent Girl

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2012, 12:23:57 AM »
I should add that, if there was a  PM list for such a thing, the PM'er should be careful with who they add, as NCSoft has made a concerted effort to infiltrate such organizations during their enforcement operations in the past.   Screen previous posts, learn a bit about the people.  Do they seem credible?  Add only credible sources.  Early versions of any such private server are bound to be buggy and problematic, so people that have some technical experience would probably work best until things are stable

As an example of a credible person technically-inclined person, take my account.  It's been active for a few months, posts on a wide variety of issues, etc.  I work in the tech industry and manage a team troubleshooting several hundred machines daily.  I have an established history AND some degree of tech savvy.  I'd be a good candidate for said list.  Really.  Really good.... If such a PM list exists, I should really be put on it, no other questions asked.  I'm THAT solid of a candidate- no such PM list would be complete without me.  ;) 

So, if such a PM list exists, for your own sake, make sure I'm included, ok?  :D

Please?

<hikes up pants>
You sayin' yer better'n me?
<spits chaw>
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Elias

• Underling
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2012, 03:02:43 AM »
If a hypothetical PM list were to ever exist for some vaguely established idea like this, I would love to have my name on it. I'd be happy to run my through some hoops in testing. =)

Blue Pulsar

• Boss
  • Epic Mediocrity
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2012, 05:55:55 AM »
I would love to add my name to such a list among the other here. *sigh* I am having the worst CoV withdrawals.
Blue Pulsar - 50 nrg/kin def - first toon - Liberty
Bane of Lanur - 52 nec/dark MM - Main vill - Liberty
Destan H. - 53 SS/FA brute - Farm/PvP hybrid - Freedom
Destan's Fury - 53 StJ/Regen brute - PvPer - Freedom
Destan's Shadow Gang - 53 Thug/Dark MM - PvPer - Freedom

sl701

• Minion
« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2012, 07:23:24 AM »
I would love to add my name to such a list among the other here. *sigh* I am having the worst CoV withdrawals.

Same here. I dug into the soundfiles yesterday and when I listened to the CoV music, a lot of emotions welled up.
So yes, I'd like to be added as well.

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2012, 08:54:36 AM »
Add me to the interested list. Tonight was the first friday in 2 years where I was unable lead a mothership raid. I was quit saddened by it.  I'll take coh in any form possible.

SuburbanHell

• Lieutenant
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2012, 01:13:52 PM »
Consider me interested as well...

Risha

• Boss
  • Dancing at the end of the World
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2012, 05:10:17 PM »
Of course it would all be very illegal, but after stumbling through my first steps of World of Warcraft (where everyone looks the dam same with the same clothes as you pick up armor), and wearing a tunic with candle drippings that I had to LOOT (not feeling too much like a hero for THAT), if there's anything that will take me back to my beloved game, just count me in.
Writer of Fantasy and Fantasy Romance

Ampithere

• Elite Boss
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2012, 05:33:30 PM »
Yeah color me interested. I've become disgusted with pretty much everything else out there right now and reverted to Baldur's Gate. Save me before I start making an Infinity Engine CoH mod  :P
@Rorn

Most recently active as Blue Baron

Guardian Server

Kurukaze

• Underling
« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2012, 01:28:45 AM »
Of course it would all be very illegal, but after stumbling through my first steps of World of Warcraft (where everyone looks the dam same with the same clothes as you pick up armor), and wearing a tunic with candle drippings that I had to LOOT (not feeling too much like a hero for THAT), if there's anything that will take me back to my beloved game, just count me in.

No, it wouldn't necessarily have to be. There are a lot of factors making something illegal or not:

1) reverse engineering by itself is not illegal.
2) using knowledge gained by reverse engineering to create something new is not illegal if you don't break any patent/IP laws with it.
3) create something new that works similar to something existent or something no longer existent is not illegal if you don't break any patent/IP laws with it.

Now while 1) is very self explaining, I'll give you an example for 2)+3) from the Star Wars Galaxy EMU. The team needed to recode the login of the client to work with their servers' web adresses. They had to create a new log-in screen - the original screen played Star Wars music in the background. To not cross the Intellectual Property of Lucas, their download did not contain copyrighted music nor backgrounds of the original log-in screen, but screenshots/backgrounds and a music-loop of their own. The user however can easily replace this music-loop with original Star Wars music the user legally owns from other Star Wars games, his original SWG copy or any soundtrack (and naturally no one can do anything against the user deciding on a piece of music he does not legally own) as the musicfile can be directly accessed, renamed, replaced etc. Key is: the crew behind the EMU is not providing anything that's not their IP (the code of the EMU server in fact is their IP as well as the code of the client modification is their IP) and thus, the C&D has nothing to be based on. It's a thin line to do a ropewalk on, but it can work out.

Additionally, neither SOE nor LucasArts did care much to work against the EMU, as the EMU has limited itself to emulate the game at a point of before a certain update - so to a "service" the original companies no longer provided. (This gave them the chance to work on the EMU while the game was stilll running and that's basically why they have a running version already to answer a previous question.)

4) the definition of IP/copyright/trademark/patent violation greatly differs depending on where in this world you are.

If you place the server containing the downloads and the EMU service in Korea, China, Taiwan - no chance and your own fault. You will not be able to fight NC at their home turf in legal stuff. The US and UK could both be tricky, depending on how the EMU-code willl work in the end, what patents NC does still hold in the US at the time the EMU is ready etc.

In France or Germany however, you can avoid IP/trademark/etc problems by being to a certain degree "off" the original (I think it's about 20%, this can be looked up simple). Frauds from the eastern-asian market use this to flood fill the home market of both countries with product piracy. Some lawyers go the "but our I has a red dot over it!"-way in a fictional case of an original product "Hogi" turned into "Higo" by the asian pirates - and get away with it. Could you imagine how many judges would be amused to show a company from Korea "the finger" over a similar case in that two countries - especially when there's a non-profit group on the other end ;) ?

And if for some reason Europe does not work out, you have Brazil, Angola, Uruguay - or Switzerland, which is Europe while not really being Europe, as they kept their neutrality and thus are completely on their own.

So don't be to sure about "being illegal" from the start. They don't auto-win because they did with Tabula Rasa. They don't are in the position of having the law on their side because they tell you so or wrote the EULA. The more of the IP needed to play CoH is already on your harddrive labeled "client files", the less likely NC will win on IP related laws....

sl701

• Minion
« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2012, 07:27:04 AM »
or Switzerland, which is Europe while not really being Europe, as they kept their neutrality and thus are completely on their own.

Let me chime un here... While it still is quite legal to download almost anything and don't get arrested, as long as you don't share the date with others (you could say that leeching is encouraged  ;)), I think that copyright laws are enforced. So probably a server here wouldn't last long.

Also, geographically we're in Europe, yes, but we are not part of the European Union and with all that's happening right now... Well, I'm glad we never joined. But this is derayling the thread.

Nightwatch

• Lieutenant
« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2012, 11:37:35 AM »

Another individual here VERY interested in inclusion on that non-existent pm list please.

Feeling the loss of CoH.   1 week into my third attempt over past couple of years to get at all interested in CO as a CoH alternative.  It's just not doing it for me.  My wife is now complaining I'm spending too much time with her.

If I'm remembered in game at all it's on Virtue - Dr Night, Moongirl, Niteshade, Zone Phantom, Timewatch, etc.  And earlier on Defiant and Union - Red Hood, Moonfox, Gryphon, Lightsmith, Midgard.

Would kill to be able to get back into the game.  Made some casual friends there but .. to be brutally honest .. I miss my toons more than people!