Author Topic: Letter help  (Read 3861 times)

Jetfire99

• Lieutenant
Letter help
« on: December 04, 2012, 06:20:53 AM »
I'm looking for a bit of help here, I'm struggling to even properly put into words for one of the four targets given what a bad idea form letters are in this situation. I'm wanting to help but I'm really really lost. I'm not used to dealing with people so much out of my social level. I feel like the last guy at a wiping hammie raid. D: So any suggestions about how to set up the letters or what to include (how to include them as well would be muchly welcome. I want want to it's just I dunno...harder than I expected.

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
Re: Letter help
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 06:23:14 AM »
It took me a lot longer than I expected, too. I'd say just write how you feel about the game and why you want Disney to own it. It doesn't have to be long. Include screenshots of your characters if you can, and write their stories on the back of them, or why you like them.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 08:49:43 AM »
Feelings are very important in these letters. 

As a kid, did all things Disney make you feel excited?  Did CoH make you feel the same?  When the server shutdown notice hit your screen, did you feel the way you did when Bambi's mother was shot?  When you look at the Disney logo with the arc of pixie dust, do you want to see the Paragon City skyline under it?

That kind of thing.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Vasarto

• Boss
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 11:54:52 AM »
Pretty much what they said! It took me about 3 hours or so for my four letters to be done.
Just write your experience, how the game makes you feel and why it is so important to you and the reasons why you do not want to loose your city of heroes.

I couldn't print up any pictures but I did but a nice savecoh.com logo in full color on the front of my envelope! Also spending the Dollar for the good sized Envenope for the paper to go into so you do not have to fold your letter might be good! Large Envelope instead of some basic penny letter one is more noticable and harder to throw away or ignore!

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 02:28:09 PM »
I know it's probably too late for you, given all the great help before me (and the amount of time since you first posted), but maybe another perspective will help anyone else coming to this because they're having trouble, too.

I got mine out in about an hour. It wasn't easy. Writing it was quick, though, because I wrote it like I was trying to describe it to my grandmother. It helped that I had been playing it with my son over the summer, so that helped with expressing some things. Then, I had to rework a couple of things to fit the circumstance, since, to say the least, leading with "Dear Grandma," would have been amusing but awkward.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 03:35:30 PM »
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

Jordan_Lee

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 03:44:59 PM »
Don't worry if the letter isn't perfect, not all of us can be great writers like VV  :D

If you aren't into writing, keep it short. Most important is that you send something, it doesn't have to even fill a full page.

1. Most important is to put in why you are writing, in support to SaveCoH.

2. Next you can tell them how long you played the game, to show long-time users. If you aren't into expressing feelings you can instead share stats, like I wrote how many hours I spent on a few of my mains, and how many characters I had. And sort of geeked out over the customization. Just something to show your own love for the game.

3. And then close it out with thanking them for their time and consideration.

What would be cool, which I wish I could have done however my printer SUCKS, is send print-outs of some of my characters and supergroup base. But I hope this helps, get on it and write those letters!

estarriol

• Underling
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 06:14:18 PM »
Don't be nervous. They're just people.

You should put your open and honest feelings in there. Even hard-nosed business people can smell the opportunity from honestly-expressed feelings and really, most hard-nosed business people also have feelings. We need them to understand what this means to us. We need them to understand why it's not "just another game".

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 03:13:53 AM »
This:

http://lifehacker.com/5965703/the-science-of-storytelling-why-telling-a-story-is-the-most-powerful-way-to-activate-our-brains

Tell your stories.  Don't worry about making them perfect.  A passionately told imperfect story is infinitely better than a recounting of facts.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido