Author Topic: the final 3 minutes of Atlas Park: Beta (video)  (Read 920 times)

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
the final 3 minutes of Atlas Park: Beta (video)
« on: December 05, 2012, 12:11:57 AM »
Little did I know that Fraps captures ALL PC audio, not just what comes out of the game, so the Cape stream is included in the video. So if you want this for your archives, get over there and grab it now before YouTube throws a fit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAkgF7H3qW0&feature=youtu.be

After Virtue mapserved roughly 10 minutes from the scheduled shutdown, instead of trying to get past the queue, I went to the only other server that had a character I cared about. I only happened to copy her over to Beta to partake in the "end-game" event a couple nights before.

When I first arrived, Beta was nearly empty, with maybe 2 people on the Atlas Park steps (though I hear there was a much larger group already fighting in RWZ). The shutdown moment came and went, and Beta stayed up. Word spread that Beta was still alive after the live servers had shut down, and Atlas Park quickly began to fill up.

For those wanting accurate info, this video is of the final 3 minutes and 35.6 seconds of Beta. Shutdown occurred approximately 5 seconds before 3:18 EST.

Jetfire99

• Lieutenant
Re: the final 3 minutes of Beta (video)
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 12:19:52 AM »
I was there on the steps watching you guys under Atlas. I was Embyron not sure if you saw me but thank you for saving this.

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
Re: the final 3 minutes of Beta (video)
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 12:32:44 AM »
I was in RWZ as Booster Angel. The instance crashed, so did my client and I lost the demorecord of that fight as a result (seriously, the way COH saved demos to HDD was BAD - one crash and you lost the entire demo you're in progress of recording).
Managed to demo the remainder of it, though. :)
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
Re: the final 3 minutes of Atlas Park: Beta (video)
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 08:24:00 PM »
It never occurred to me to log into Beta server after Justice was taken offline.   I just went to the kitchen, let my tears flow, then got a glass of water and came back to start writing about my feelings and our City of Heroes experience on the forums.  Thanks for posting your video, Tim.  I cherish our CoH memories and memorials.
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine