Author Topic: And now, a brief word from the Titan Network...  (Read 38888 times)

Mr. NoPants

• Underling
  • Justice does not have time for restrictive clothin
Re: And now, a brief word from the Titan Network...
« Reply #100 on: December 08, 2012, 07:28:13 PM »
Indeed. We've become increasingly insular, self-centered, and very, very petty as a society.
Ont he other hand sometimes turning the other cheek only gets you smacked twice.

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
« Reply #101 on: December 08, 2012, 07:30:44 PM »
Ont he other hand sometimes turning the other cheek only gets you smacked twice.

There's a gulf of difference between sustained grudge-holding and turning the other cheek, and in that gulf there's many different ways of handling situations. This is not a black/white, either-or proposition. Such absolutes are rare.
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/

Rangle M. Down

• Minion
« Reply #102 on: December 08, 2012, 11:42:14 PM »
There's a gulf of difference between sustained grudge-holding and turning the other cheek, and in that gulf there's many different ways of handling situations. This is not a black/white, either-or proposition. Such absolutes are rare.

Which is why I stated earlier:
While certainly an ideal concept, trying to separate what is posted on this forum vs. the CoH forums isn't always feasible from an emotional stand point.

Some people can. Some people can't. Everyone does so to a varying degree.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #103 on: December 09, 2012, 06:38:59 AM »
Maybe this time it's because of the time difference, Gangrel being in the UK, but I have no idea what happened. I woke up one morning, all his/her posts were manually deleted, in an epic display of childishness, and there was this thread. I never had a problem with Gangrel, but I never hung out on the official boards, much.

Gangrel always seemed like one of the more level-headed ones, trying to get everyone to see some balance between the two extremes. So I really can't imagine what the heck happened, unless someone on one end got really peeved at anyone trying to achieve some moderation of attitude.

I've tried to keep people balanced to a point too though, and I've never had a major issue.

*shrug*

Electric-Knight

• Elite Boss
  • E-K and Malfaz taking a break, drinking tea
    • www.pauldamonthomas.com
« Reply #104 on: December 09, 2012, 06:50:25 AM »
I think there are a range of unrelated commentaries going on in this thread that could easily clash, mostly from miscommunications/misunderstanding, and turn into series of back and forth disagreeing about the proper ways to be.
So, please be careful. ;)

People are sort of riffing off of different ideas and different interpretations and speaking in some (I'll say slight) absolutes.

If I say, "Johnny was a jerk when I dealt with him last, therefore, while I will give him the ability to prove himself otherwise, I am not going to simply erase my history with that person"... there is nothing unreasonable about that.

If I say, "Moderators shouldn't hold a user's actions from elsewhere against them here", that's a reasonable and responsible assessment. A user here gets moderated for what they do here. If anything were to spill out elsewhere, there can be a case-by-case basis (obviously... I'm talking about some sort of weird and/or foul stalkerish, bullying, abusive, etc. behavior against another member... some sort of extreme that I could see possibly bring outside activity into play).

If I say, "giving a person the chance to change, and respect the possibility that they may have changed is a fair and reasonable way to approach things"... it does not remove the idea that sometimes you truly might have to cut someone out and/or stop giving them chances... and/or it is up to the individual person what they do or do not wish to hold against a person.

If I say, "It's a bit illogical and unreasonable to expect and suggest that no previous interactions with a person should come into play within your head when dealing with them again"... it does not mean that I have no grasp of forgiveness or that I lack the reason to handle things respectfully.

If I say that "eternal grudges have become all too popular, common and easy for people to adopt" it does not mean that some people haven't earned animosity and that you may possibly be best off not dealing with such people from your past.

If I say that "I think another problem with people today is that they do not incur honest social responses/reactions to poor behavior, thus helping to perpetuate continued bad behavior by the original offender(s) and helping to breed an accepted standard of asshole-ness among society"... It does not mean that I don't also think that some people jump to overly-harsh grudges and dismissals.

I hope that made some sense to people and most find it agreeable (if you bothered to read).

I just see a lot of truths in here... that some people are starting to use as debating points against other truths... when I believe that those truths don't cancel each other out or make the others untrue.

:)
--
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
- Baron Munchausen

http://www.pauldamonthomas.com/

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #105 on: December 09, 2012, 07:33:09 AM »
Gangrel always seemed like one of the more level-headed ones, trying to get everyone to see some balance between the two extremes. So I really can't imagine what the heck happened

Its actually not that hard to imagine at all.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #106 on: December 09, 2012, 07:50:28 AM »
It's also possible that his personal e-mail got out (or even fully dox) and someone made griefing him their personal mission in life.  Now some people were getting quite ... passionate about the various efforts to save the game and brook no point of view that even hinting that a business case could be made for the closure of the studio and the game or possible reasons why NCSoft weren't serious about selling.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #107 on: December 10, 2012, 06:20:53 AM »
One of the other anti-Titan types from the CoH forums made a brief appearance here shortly after November 30th, but they disappeared quite quickly - although I'm not sure if it was their choice :P
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #108 on: December 10, 2012, 06:10:13 PM »
It's also possible that his personal e-mail got out (or even fully dox) and someone made griefing him their personal mission in life.  Now some people were getting quite ... passionate about the various efforts to save the game and brook no point of view that even hinting that a business case could be made for the closure of the studio and the game or possible reasons why NCSoft weren't serious about selling.

The *possibility* certainly existed.  The relative *certainty* that was often expressed belied the fact that was actually wrong.

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #109 on: December 10, 2012, 07:08:57 PM »
In an attempt to stop some of the guessing...

I do not want to state his reasons for leaving (that's for him to decide whether he wants to or not), but I will say that as far as I know, he wasn't being griefed and his personal e-mail had not gotten out.

The person in question is not actually banned from the Titan Network. He asked that his cmgangrel account be deleted. In the process of that happening, things escalated a bit and his forums account did get banned, but that was only to prevent further escalation. It's not a reflection of a permanent ban. He's not barred from making a new account in the future should he so desire.

I would also add that after the escalation was nipped, he was later pretty reasonable in his follow up communications with me.

I'd ask that people stop discussing why he left or trying to guess the reasons behind it, as there's really nothing to be gained by it.

And in a somewhat different vein...

If you are moderated on our forums, it's because of what you've posted on our forums. If you are banned from the Titan Network, it's almost certainly because of something you did on one of our websites. Our staff is not in the habit of penalizing people based on their behavior elsewhere. I won't say it's impossible to happen. As Electric-Knight pointed out, there are extreme situations where it might be warranted (such as cyber-stalking). But I don't think anything that extreme has ever come up, and hopefully it never will.

However, if you have a history of being a troublemaker on another forum and some of our mods are first-hand aware of that history, don't expect them to forget it. They won't mod-hammer you for being a troublemaker elsewhere, but that doesn't mean they won't keep more of an eye on you because of it initially. Is that fair? Maybe, maybe not. But that's just how people work. And if your troublemaking days are truly past, then you really have nothing to worry about.

None of this came into play for cmgangrel. I was the person primarily handling his account closure, and I wasn't even aware of any history he might have had elsewhere. (I never really followed the official forums.)