Author Topic: And now, a brief word from the Titan Network...  (Read 38826 times)

Crowne

• Underling
Re: And now, a brief word from the Titan Network...
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2012, 05:58:56 PM »
Hi all,

I hate to use my first post on here in this manner, but with this guy, there is no way you didn't see it coming...As posted earlier, did you see his posts on the main COH forums?  It was a total Sybil...like he cared so much over here, but over there, it was the total opposite.  His handle gave it away, but if it hadn't, you would have never known it was the same poster...

Anyway, sorry for any perception of negativity with my first post...I have been lurking for quite a while, and doing my part in the movement (sent my letter to Disney Friday!) and am so proud to see how so many of us came together in this effort to Save Our City...

Cheers!

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2012, 06:01:29 PM »
You know, there's really no need for this kind of posting. It's one of the reasons I hardly ever post anything on these forums at all. Because anyone who thinks differently, has a slightly different way of looking at things, and likes to pick holes in things to see if they can be taken apart is looked upon as 'against the SaveCoH movement'. 

He never actually told you to remain complacent about saving CoH. He always tried to be helpful, yet you and others like you always threw whatever he had to say back in his face. Yes, he can be an idiot at times, but he always apologised if something he said was later disproved. Why on earth do you think he was here hmm? He wanted to SaveCoH just as much as the rest of us, but he just had a different way of expressing himself.

He never told you what to think or believe.

Please calm down. It's reactions like yours that caused TonyV posting this thread in the first place, I think.

Let's not fight  :(
I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go
Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder

Waiting for an invitation to arrive
Goin' to a party where no one's still alive

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2012, 06:01:36 PM »
You know, there's really no need for this kind of posting. It's one of the reasons I hardly ever post anything on these forums at all. Because anyone who thinks differently, has a slightly different way of looking at things, and likes to pick holes in things to see if they can be taken apart is looked upon as 'against the SaveCoH movement'.

I actually recall the thread Arachnion is referring to. It is not an assumption; at least the thread itself WAS attacking anyone that was attempting to save the game, calling them hypocrites for not caring about the ones canceled before. Didn't know it was the same guy, though (remembered the post better than the poster.)

There WERE a few (not that many) posters in the forums that were heavily negative and hostile against anyone that cared about CoH, few from different directions (some defending NCsoft's rights, others claiming the game was losing money left and right, and worse the group that claimed "it's only a game, get over it looser") but all with the same final approach: Bash Titan and SaveCoH movements.

Not EVERYONE that was either uninterested or against the SaveCoH was that way, but if this guy was the same one that posted that thread... then yea, he was literally telling everyone to shut up and take it unless they also made an equal show over Tabula Rasa and all the other canceled titles.
For the sake of the community: please stop the cultural "research" in your attempt to put blame on the game's cancelation.

It's sickening to see the community sink that low. It's worse to see the community does not get it.

I'm signing off and taking a break, blindly hope things change.

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2012, 06:08:45 PM »

He never actually told you to remain complacent about saving CoH. He always tried to be helpful, yet you and others like you always threw whatever he had to say back in his face. Yes, he can be an idiot at times, but he always apologised if something he said was later disproved. Why on earth do you think he was here hmm? He wanted to SaveCoH just as much as the rest of us, but he just had a different way of expressing himself.

He never told you what to think or believe.

There really is a need for this kind of posting. He didn't merely have "a different way of expressing himself." His attitude, behavior, and persistence was destructive on the main forums. You either weren't reading, or you have a very unique sense of tolerance. But I won't stand for it, and apparently I'm not alone here. He questioned the legitimacy of everything we tried, and his attempts were often squarely aimed at deflating those who wanted to save the game and community. I have no idea what his agenda was or what fueled it, but his pursuit was dogged. He may have doubled his post count in the final three months. The time to pick your comrades to pieces is not in the thick of the fight.

I didn't leave my forums and come here to these forums until after midnight when NCSoft shut them down, though I did lurk here. He walked the line here, most likely for the sake of self-preservation. I saw what I saw over there and I know I'm not the only one.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 06:14:26 PM by Captain Electric »

Kallandra

• Underling
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2012, 06:18:58 PM »
I give up.

I'm going back to lurking. You'll just start on me next for sticking up for someone I admired, who spoke their mind and had quite a lot of interesting points to ponder.

You'll think what you like. Maybe it's because i'm in England I read things differently. The general level of hate I read on these boards though, whether justified or not, makes me sad.

*Not angry, not ranting or anything. Just sad.

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2012, 06:27:07 PM »
I give up.

I'm going back to lurking. You'll just start on me next for sticking up for someone I admired, who spoke their mind and had quite a lot of interesting points to ponder.

You'll think what you like. Maybe it's because i'm in England I read things differently. The general level of hate I read on these boards though, whether justified or not, makes me sad.

*Not angry, not ranting or anything. Just sad.

The worst thing you're guilty of is having been manipulated by someone. And I hope you'll excuse and forgive my demeanor; I'm willing to put myself in your shoes--in fact I find myself in your shoes a lot around here, actually--but please do the same for a moment. On the forums I called home, Gangrel and others pitted themselves against those of us who had everything to lose. The distractions worked. That's the sad thing. A lot less work got done for the sake of the movement, while we defended ourselves against mind games on the forums.

Feycat

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2012, 06:36:14 PM »
The worst thing you're guilty of is having been manipulated by someone. And I hope you'll excuse and forgive my demeanor; I'm willing to put myself in your shoes--in fact I find myself in your shoes a lot around here, actually--but please do the same for a moment. On the forums I called home, Gangrel and others pitted themselves against those of us who had everything to lose. The distractions worked. That's the sad thing. A lot less work got done for the sake of the movement, while we defended ourselves against mind games on the forums.

I will agree there were more than a few posters who were anti the SaveCOH movement specifically. However, there were certainly those on the other side flinging out words like traitor to anyone who didn't agree that the SaveCOH movement was right all the time.

And it doesn't necessarily follow that pointing out that there's a deep, inherent hypocrisy in ALL of us wearing our blinders and continuing to pretend NCSoft wasn't shutting down games left and right while we played OUR game... until they shut OURS down. And now suddenly anyone who continues to play any NCSoft games is a traitor, idiot, hypocrite, etc.

That tolerance could certainly stand to be extended both ways - it was true on the official forums and it's still true from some people here.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2012, 06:37:18 PM »
Folks,

I may not be a moderator, but I can play one on TV when I need to. So, couple things:

1. Lets cool it on third person discussions of individuals who are currently unable to post in their defense. There was drama, we had popcorn, and for now it's resolved. Any further discussion needs to happen directly with the individuals involved.

2. The COH forums are closed. What happened there is only subject to our memory, which can be fuzzy (I remember things differently than some of the above posters, for instance, but I may not have seen everything). Short of trawling trough archive.org it's impossible to prove anything from them, and there's no way to know for certain if people use the same name here or not. We should let them be.

3. There is more to Titan Network than SaveCOH. Yes, it's kind of a big deal. And if you post criticism in the "Save Paragon City" sub forums, you should expect to get pounced on. Strong backbone is advised. HOWEVER, in the other sections, the mods will be less tolerant of that zealousy spilling over, so keep it civil please.

4. The moderators are short handed and the traffic volume has exploded. They can't be everywhere. The report tool and PMs are your friend. Just because something doesn't get modded, doesn't mean that we endorse it, only that it wasn't found to be a rules violation or flagrantly offensive.

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2012, 06:40:49 PM »
Sorry I got a little excited there, Codewalker.  :-[

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2012, 06:48:09 PM »
I neither know nor wish for the details of what transpired.  Emotions have been running high for weeks.  Gangrel seemed fairly level headed and constructive when posting both here and on the official forums.  Can't say I agreed with him all the time, but I thought he presented his opinions, even dissenting ones in a non-offensive manner and added to discussions.  If any were inflamatory, I may well have missed them.  We can disagree and argue, while showing civility and respect. I also think we should accord one another tremendous amounts of slack and understanding for the stress we've been thru.   
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2012, 06:49:47 PM »
Thanks for that last post there, Codewalker. I think I speak for most of us when I say I'll do my part to make sure moderation is easier on the team. I know it can't be easy having the same team but half the members.

The bottom line, in my humble opinion, is now just isn't the time for infighting. If Gangrel wants to take his ball and go home, we should let him go in peace, and not fight about it amongst ourselves.

Copper Cockroach

• Boss
  • Phoenix Project: 2D Art Lead
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2012, 06:52:51 PM »
In those final weeks, the main forums were infested by these sorts of roaches.

RACIST!

KoA

• Minion
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2012, 06:53:25 PM »
Clearly the management around here did not have the foresight to understand the carnage that would occur once both heroes and villains migrated over to Titan and be forced to chat within the same forums.  How no one expected the occasional bar room brawl to break out is beyond me.   :P ;)    It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye, or the juke box gets damaged.   ;D

Altoholic Monkey

• Lieutenant
    • Repeat Offenders Network - Making the stupidly difficult easy since 2005
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2012, 06:54:25 PM »

Megajoule

• Lieutenant
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2012, 07:00:48 PM »
I'd just like to note that the post in this thread, by the (now removed and banned) poster, had no "Edited" timestamp... meaning that either he posted it and immediately changed it, or made a post which said from the start that it had been "removed".  That isn't going back and redacting stuff you've already posted, that's making brand new posts in that format as a deliberate... I'll be charitable and say "gesture" rather than some of the other words that come to mind.

Ammon

• Team Wildcard
  • Boss
  • UK marketing guy and City of Heroes addict
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2012, 07:02:58 PM »
I've been involved with a lot of community/social media type websites, with the longest such hands-on involvement being 5 years as an admin on one of the better known webmaster forums, Cre8asiteforums.com

Never, ever, have I seen any such site where hitting the submit button on a post doesn't mean they own that post now.  Its the most basic and fundamental thing.  In fact, the removal of posts made, after the fact, is a form of bait-and-switch that has been a completre faux-pas in Nettiquette guides since the days of BBS and newsgroups.

Removing all of your posts in a fit of pique is like demanding everyone pretend you never ever said anything, and that every conversation anyone had with you should now be redacted.  It is incredibly rude and petty.  It rates far above Godwin's Law in the scale of such things.

Removal of all of a user's posts is very, very rare.  Because that dismisses and annoys every single member of the community that replied to them, and now has no context for what was said.  Demanding such deletion is beneath contempt in terms of how in insults and annoys everyone that is part of the community you chose to post to.

Now, I wish that stating this were not going to be seen as an attack on Gangrel, and would not upset his girlfriend, and my friend, Kallandra.  However, these are basic facts, and if they happen to apply to Gangrel, that is his doing, not mine.

Manga

• Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2012, 07:12:12 PM »

I think I might know what Kallandra is getting at.  But consider for a moment, Kallandra, that the vast majority of people do not like unfettered free speech and devil's advocate posts, as thought provoking and entertaining as they might be to a few people.  It generally results in an environment where "if you can't take the heat, leave" becomes the motto, and nice people can and will leave.

This hasn't been a problem at Titan way before, but it is now.  I started to notice it around the time the Save CoH movement began gaining momentum.  The moderators have been patient, perhaps too patient, and now it's grown into a full-blown drama.  Sadly, now they have a mess to clean up, and they have to become what they really didn't want to become to keep order.

Or in short, like Codewalker said above:  "This is why we can't have nice things."

Manga

• Elite Boss
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2012, 07:14:55 PM »
Edit: I was being snarky because I thought he needed a verbal slap to snap out of it. That wasn't intended to be an official Titan Network position. I need to find some way to change the little dot color on a per-post basis or something...

Some of us have been there.  :)

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2012, 07:21:35 PM »
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2012, 07:39:46 PM »
RACIST!

Look man, I'm gonna say this ONCE, and I'm not gonna repeat myself!

If you're gonna say that, just say it with this gif!

:D :D
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/