Author Topic: Still out there  (Read 17068 times)

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
Still out there
« on: December 06, 2012, 04:39:46 AM »
So, I just logged into my account info at NCSoft's page.

It still has all my billing stuff.  :o

Next payment scheduled is in June 2013.  <_<

So now what?  Remove Card from their system?

Sarge Morris

• Minion
Re: Still out there
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 04:40:54 AM »
Whoof.  Yeah, that's scary stuff.  I'll be taking mine out pronto.  Thanks for the reminder.

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 04:42:21 AM »
They won't be billing you. I never removed my card, I haven't been billed since August.

Also, note how your account says "Playable"? Yeah.

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 05:42:21 AM »
Would this be any indication that our userdata is in intact?  I don't know much about that sort of thing.

Little Green Frog

• Boss
  • @Little Green Frog
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 05:52:09 AM »
Would this be any indication that our userdata is in intact?  I don't know much about that sort of thing.

Yes, but only to a small extent. We don't know how the data in question is structured on their side, so this only indicates they are still in posession of our billing data.

The good news is that removal of any business data by companies that cease to support their products, but don't go out of business themselves is extremely rare (although not unheard of). The most probable scenario is that most of the data related to the game is archived somewhere in one form or another. There are no guarantees for that, though.

SeaLily

• Lieutenant
  • green hair
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 06:19:09 AM »
If nothing else, they've still got our account names/purchases/dates of purchases all on-hand.  It seems to be a bit outdated too, likely frozen when they froze the rest of the financial systems for CoH back when it was announced.  Still lists me as having over a thousand Paragon Points, and all of those were spent pretty early on after the shutdown announcement(on all the costume parts I'd never owned before).
green hair

Kheprera

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 06:21:50 AM »
That means I'll be logging in to screenshot and get a hardcopy printout of what all my purchases were...

Just in case.

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 06:24:53 AM »
If nothing else, they've still got our account names/purchases/dates of purchases all on-hand.  It seems to be a bit outdated too, likely frozen when they froze the rest of the financial systems for CoH back when it was announced.  Still lists me as having over a thousand Paragon Points, and all of those were spent pretty early on after the shutdown announcement(on all the costume parts I'd never owned before).

I sure hope so. A CoH resurrected where everyone has to start over is dead in the water.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 07:42:55 AM »
Welp they deleted my main NCSoft account on Dec 1.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 07:55:52 AM »
Welp they deleted my main NCSoft account on Dec 1.
Wait, what?  I just checked and mine's still there.  Why would they only delete some? 

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 08:00:47 AM »
I was about to ask the same thing. You need to make a thread about that, VV. Did they discriminate and delete yours because of your outspokenness or what? I just checked, mine is still there.

mikoroshi

• Boss
  • Author, Owner of Dogs
    • My Twitter
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 08:02:28 AM »
Did they discriminate and delete yours because of your outspokenness or what?

I was thinking the same thing.  I mean, VV's real name is freakin' plastered all over the internet.
If you see me posting here, you need to tell me to stop it and get back to writing.

Roughtrade

• Boss
  • Sitting on a Cornflake
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2012, 08:09:30 AM »
I was thinking the same thing.  I mean, VV's real name is freakin' plastered all over the internet.
And considering that same name is linked to a Korean article that is not favorable to them, possible reasons come to mind.

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2012, 08:10:41 AM »
What would they gain by deleting her account?  I can't think of any way she could use the account against them, or how deleting the account would inconvenience her in any way.

Roughtrade

• Boss
  • Sitting on a Cornflake
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2012, 08:18:47 AM »
What would they gain by deleting her account?  I can't think of any way she could use the account against them, or how deleting the account would inconvenience her in any way.
We have seen already that NC Soft is not above petty acts of revenge.

But my account is deleted too. Says they do not have a record of the email.  Which is strange, because I have a Guild Wars account, inactive for about three years but the information was always there alongside my CoH information.  Since I did not delete my NC Soft account, it should still be there.

May bear further investigation.  If they are deleting game accounts for people who have active game subscriptions, it would be rather improper.

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2012, 08:21:26 AM »
We have seen already that NC Soft is not above petty acts of revenge.

But my account is deleted too. Says they do not have a record of the email.  Which is strange, because I have a Guild Wars account, inactive for about three years but the information was always there alongside my CoH information.  Since I did not delete my NC Soft account, it should still be there.

May bear further investigation.  If they are deleting game accounts for people who have active game subscriptions, it would be rather improper.
That would be extremely improper.  I don't like that they deleted your account which had a game on it that is still running.  What if you wanted to come back? 

Little Green Frog

• Boss
  • @Little Green Frog
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2012, 08:27:31 AM »
edit: Please, kindly ignore me.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 08:34:27 AM by trwired »

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2012, 08:28:05 AM »
This is absolutely worth a poll of some kind. Some sort of investigation before we go at NCSoft with this too.

Little Green Frog

• Boss
  • @Little Green Frog
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 08:29:42 AM »
This is absolutely worth a poll of some kind. Some sort of investigation before we go at NCSoft with this too.

Whoa, chill, man. I am not a fan of these guys either, but it's not like every action they make is out of spite.

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2012, 08:31:34 AM »
They may have no other choice. For example EU laws on personal data retention are very strict in this regard and Mrs. Mercedes Lackey lives in UK which is a member of European Union. NCsoft may be obliged to remove her account under those laws if she's no longer their customer (ie. doesn't subsbribe to any other of their games).
VV lives in the UK?  I don't think that's right.... 

*Ignites the VV beacon*