Author Topic: Still out there  (Read 17071 times)

Roughtrade

• Boss
  • Sitting on a Cornflake
Re: Still out there
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2012, 08:31:51 AM »
Not likely, GW1 was kinda boring.  I like some of their ideas but anyways.

And VV may have this same issue

My Password was deleted.  When I tried to access the NC Soft account, I got a page saying that there was no history of my email address on file, BUT...

When I reloaded Guild Wars, and tried to log in, I received an option to have a new password emailed to me and it went to the proper address.  After that it was just a matter of logging in on their security page and resetting to new password.  Everything appears to be in place.

Should have remembered Hanlon's Razor.

So for anyone else with a similar issue in viewing their NC Soft account, you may have to find an alternate way to contact them and have them send you a new password.  In my case, at least, it appears they deleted my password from their records and managed to misplace my email address.

Little Green Frog

• Boss
  • @Little Green Frog
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2012, 08:33:30 AM »
VV lives in the UK?  I don't think that's right.... 

*Ignites the VV beacon*

Uh, no. Please, ignore me. (Really no idea where and why did my synapses decide to short circuit.)

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2012, 01:21:40 PM »
Nope, Oklahoma.  Ammon, Rae, and Quinch live in the UK.  Made doing Team Wildcard quite festive.

I'll see about getting a new password when my brain resets.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2012, 02:00:39 PM »
But my account is deleted too. Says they do not have a record of the email.  Which is strange, because I have a Guild Wars account, inactive for about three years but the information was always there alongside my CoH information.  Since I did not delete my NC Soft account, it should still be there.
Their account recovery process is f***ed. Their system was claiming the same exact thing to me when  I forgot my password a few months ago and tried to recover it that way.
Lo and behold, I finally found my bleeding password and managed to log in to find my account intact.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2012, 02:12:36 PM »
All right so... has anyone's account been deleted for real, here?

Osborn

• Boss
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2012, 02:12:54 PM »
Mine's still there but had to disable No-Script to view it. Says it's VIP and playable, too. It tried to get me to 'migrate' my account to some other service. Fat chance of that.

Globetrotter

• Boss
  • I am a still Hero and This is what I do!
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2012, 02:16:09 PM »
Too scared to check. I did not touch my master NCSoft account since that horrible announcement.
Gutta cavat lapidem, non vi, sed saepe cadendo.

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2012, 02:17:28 PM »
Too scared to check. I did not touch my master NCSoft account since that horrible announcement.
I do not think there's any reason to be afraid.  If it's gone you won't be able to do much about it anyway.  Plus it seems as though the service simply has a bad habit of losing passwords.

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2012, 02:42:16 PM »
I can still reach mine. And on the off-chance that NCSoft drags their head out of their ass and sells the whole package - Codebase, IP, and customer data - to another buyer, then I'll have both an intact account and my Sentinel saves as back-up.

And one more thing - I screen-shotted every page of the account screen info I could find. As well as saved copies of each HTML page in the NCSoft account section pertaining to my account.

If they try and pull a fast one, I'll have a lawyer down on their ass tighter than stink on pancake.

Edit: Pancake? That word filter is WEIRD... O.o;

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2012, 02:42:53 PM »
I sure hope so. A CoH resurrected where everyone has to start over is dead in the water.
I think it would take a hit, but I don't think dead in the water.  I'd remake my toons and give it another go.   :)

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2012, 02:58:52 PM »
I can still reach mine. And on the off-chance that NCSoft drags their head out of their ass and sells the whole package - Codebase, IP, and customer data - to another buyer, then I'll have both an intact account and my Sentinel saves as back-up.

And one more thing - I screen-shotted every page of the account screen info I could find. As well as saved copies of each HTML page in the NCSoft account section pertaining to my account.

If they try and pull a fast one, I'll have a lawyer down on their ass tighter than stink on pancake.

Edit: Pancake? That word filter is WEIRD... O.o;
Making me rethink making pancakes for breakfast >.>

Archlight

• Minion
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2012, 04:27:07 PM »
Dec 2 logged into mine and removed the credit card info and changed my contact info to my work address phone and email so I will be able to see if they sold my account information.

Clave Dark 5

• Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2012, 05:05:48 PM »
My CC expired on Sept 1st, how funny is that?  So I don't have to worry about what they may still have on me.  That said, I haven't checked.

*checks*

Still there.
"What you say is rather profound, and probably erroneous." - Joseph Conrad

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2012, 05:58:54 PM »
I haven't lost access, yet. It's odd that VV lost hers, but her account was unique (tied to a contribution deal). Even with pre-existing account data, it may have been more to do with that, due to the timing. Note that it happened before the article in the Korea Times. It would be interesting to find out if Hitstreak had a similar thing happen at a similar time.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2012, 10:05:24 PM »
I haven't lost access, yet. It's odd that VV lost hers, but her account was unique (tied to a contribution deal). Even with pre-existing account data, it may have been more to do with that, due to the timing. Note that it happened before the article in the Korea Times. It would be interesting to find out if Hitstreak had a similar thing happen at a similar time.

It might simply be that her NCSoft master account only had a City of Heroes account linked to it; the people whose master accounts are still there may have, say, an Aion game account linked to the master account. If all they had was a City of Heroes account, once CoH closed, they could close the master account. And since they're going to this new account management system, there wouldn't be any way to create a new NCSoft master account and see if you could link it to your old CoH account (or, if you used the same account name, whether it would link automatically, which I doubt).

Jetfire99

• Lieutenant
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2012, 10:37:23 PM »
Humm this really does look fishy. Given their history as others have said this may very well have been a way to lash out at VV for everything she's done on behalf of the community.

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2012, 10:39:42 PM »
I think what was said up there before about how it was likely done because VV's account was a special contributor account, is the most likely deal. If we hear from TonyV and he still has his, it just wouldn't make sense to be anything but that.

Roughtrade

• Boss
  • Sitting on a Cornflake
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2012, 11:02:35 PM »
Humm this really does look fishy. Given their history as others have said this may very well have been a way to lash out at VV for everything she's done on behalf of the community.
I think what was said up there before about how it was likely done because VV's account was a special contributor account, is the most likely deal. If we hear from TonyV and he still has his, it just wouldn't make sense to be anything but that.
And it's always possible that it is just a glitch like my account last night, which appeared to be closed and I got a message from NC Soft saying they had no record of my email, but when I used a different route it came through fine.

I think this is pretty much a non-issue, except for the few special access accounts that might have been out there.

Mentalshock

• Boss
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2012, 11:43:04 PM »
Checked mine:

Master Account: Working

Active Game Accounts:  None.

No trace of my having ever subscribed to City of Heroes.

I hope this doesn't mean they've deleted the data.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2012, 11:46:18 PM »
Checked mine:

Master Account: Working

Active Game Accounts:  None.

No trace of my having ever subscribed to City of Heroes.

I hope this doesn't mean they've deleted the data.

There is some hope here, and that is that they are probably required to keep backups of customer data for X number of years.  Storage being cheap enough these days, the probability is high that they won't even bother deleting it once it hits expiration date.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido