Author Topic: Observations from Costume Contests in CO  (Read 2209 times)

Epelesker

• Boss
  • One fix at a time!
Observations from Costume Contests in CO
« on: December 06, 2012, 08:32:00 AM »
  • Costume Contests are generally held in Millennium City's Powerhouse Theater on a regular schedule, though some spur-of-moment events might happen. There is a public "Contests" global channel you can join if you want to be in the know.
  • Contestants line up in up to three rows on the lighted squares of the Theater's stage. In the backroom, there are two Tailors. It is possible to change or lock the background screen by using the control panel at the front of the stage by the seating.
  • Categories are usually announced in advance, and are judged all at once. There is usually only one winner for each category.
  • The Retro category designation is often used to pertain to anything that looks "classic superhero": this includes Golden and Silver Age, Pulp and Noir, Retro Sci-Fi.
  • Rules for costume contests generally may involve the following: no devices and/or (travel) powers, no auras or anything that may affect others, no costume switching, no clones.
  • Contest organizers generally prefer that they have sole use of the Zone broadcast for the duration of the contest.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
Re: Observations from Costume Contests in CO
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 01:11:28 AM »
Do you see the same level of creativity as seemed so pervasive in CoH? I'm asking for a friend...
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Epelesker

• Boss
  • One fix at a time!
Re: Observations from Costume Contests in CO
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 09:00:32 PM »
Do you see the same level of creativity as seemed so pervasive in CoH? I'm asking for a friend...
It honestly just depends on personal preference more often than not. What you will think as a hit or miss will be different than what my opinion might be (considering I tend to prefer that "classic" superhero looking costume type). With that said, I've seen what I believe to be some positively interesting costumes: the ones that tend to put more thought into things are RPers, also.

Despite that, I've yet to see a contest where an entire concept is judged on rather than just the costume (surprisingly, even CORP avoided it in their Festival this year). It's something I'd like to try one of these days.