Author Topic: Thoughts on Freeform characters and power comparisons  (Read 12760 times)

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
Thoughts on Freeform characters and power comparisons
« on: December 06, 2012, 01:19:09 PM »
One of the neat things that Champions Online allows, and CoH didn't, is the ability to take powers outside your character's given Power Framework, if you are a Gold member or have purchased a Freeform Character Slot.  Even within a given framework, there are powers available that no archetype uses.

I've been looking over various powers, and comparing them on the Champions Wiki.

Block Replacements
These powers change your default "Block" action into something else, enhancing its defensive power or adding a secondary effect that occurs while blocking.  Taking a Block Replacement isn't strictly necessary, but for any character that expects to be tanking damage, they are a godsend.

Ebon Void (Darkness, Mystic)
Provides 250/300/360% resistance to all incoming damage.  Inflicts 31/37/45 dimensional damage on anything that attacks you as you hold it.  Heals you for 38/46/55 each time you are hit (maximum of once per second, scales with Presence.)  Voractious Darkness advantage provides 10% resistance/stack (1 point); you gain a stack with every hit you take (max 10).

My Opinion: This is a really hard defense when ranked up and given its Advantage.  At maximum rank, with maximum Voracious Darkness stacks, you are rocking a 460% block, and healing 55 (Presence scaling) every second assuming a more-or-less constant stream of incoming damage.  If you intend to be taking a lot of attacks in a short amount of time, you could certainly do a lot worse than Ebon Void.  The downside is that you've really got to invest in Presence to make the healing effect worthwhile, otherwise it's just an average block replacement.

Eldritch Shield (Sorcery-subsets, Mystic)
Provides 250/300/360% physical resistance and 300/350/410% non-physical resistance to all incoming damage.  Imbue With Power advantage (2 points) provides a secondary effect based on the Aura you have active.  Arcane Clarity causes you to gain more energy from blocking and scales energy gain with your Intelligence.  Primal Mastery strikes your attackers with lightning, similar to Electric ShieldEbon Destruction has a chance to Fear anyone who hits you.  Radiant Protection has a chance to place a heal over time effect on you.

My Opinion: By itself, it's just a standard Block replacement with better-than-average non-physical resistance.  Yawn.  The interesting part is the Imbue With Power advantage.  While the Primal Mastery and Ebon Destruction versions aren't anything to write home about from a tanking perspective, Arcane Clarity is great for Intelligence-based tanks that find themselves short of Energy, and Radiant Protection directly helps your tanking by healing you.  However, taking the Imbue with Power advantage means you cannot take Rank 3, so it's a tradeoff.

Electric Shield (Electricity, Energy Projector)
Provides 200/250/310% physical resistance and 250/300/360% non-physical resistance to all incoming damage.  Deals 32/38/46 electric damage to all enemies within 10 feet.  Electric Vengeance advantage (3 points) adds the ability to auto-retaliate against any attack within 50 feet, dealing 137 electric damage and consuming 20 energy with each counterattack.

My Opinion: From a tanking standpoint, Electric shield is terrible.  Its physical resistance is no better than an ordinary Block!  Its non-physical is average for a Block Replacement.  The automatic damage against nearby enemies is piddly, and the advantage actually consumes energy, meaning you can't take shelter within your Block to let your energy recover, and taking it means you aren't getting Rank 3.  This is a Block replacement you can honestly live without.

Energy Shield (Power Armor, Technology)
Provides 270/320/380% resistance to all incoming damage.  Laser Knight advantage (3 points) gives you a resistance-increasing proc on your melee attacks, providing ~34% resistance to all damage in exchange for losing 15% damage on the attack.  Phalanx Defense System advantage (3 points) gives you a resistance-increasing proc whenever you make a Weapon System (chest/shoulder/hand) attack.

My Opinion: I would almost be tempted to give this one a little crap for being a vanilla Block Replacement, but its across-the-board resistances are beyond reproach.  Moreover, the advantages make it interesting, granting you a passive defensive buff that functions outside of blocking.  You can't take both, and taking either of them means you aren't getting Rank 3, but they do make you very tanky when you're on the offensive.

Retaliation (Might, Brick)
Provides 250/300/360% resistance to all incoming damage.  If hit, you gain the Retaliation effect, increasing the damage of your next attack by 83/100/120%.  Punitive Pummeling advantage (2 points) provides a 20% chance to knock back all enemies within 10 feet when hit.

My Opinion: While the damage resistance on this one is strictly average for a Block replacement, the Retaliation buff makes it great for offensive-minded characters.  Block a Schtick attack, then open a can on your attacker!  If you are a Might or Bestial Supernatural character that makes frequent use of Enrage, pick up the advantage.  Sure, it costs you access to rank 3, but the knockback effect on Punitive Pummelling will give you stacks of Enraged! - when you drop the block, whoever you next hit is going to be in fifty shades of pain, most of them between black and blue.

Force Shield (Force, Energy Projector)
Provides 250/300/360% resistance to all incoming damage.  Your Ego is considered to be 200% of its normal value when determining how much energy you regain when hit while blocking.  Force Sheathe advantage (1 point) allows your shield to persist for 8 seconds after you drop it, providing a tiny (8.5%) amount of resistance and continuing to feed you energy when hit.

My Opinion: While the resistance on this one is strictly average, it has no weaknesses and the advantage is great for anyone who has energy issues.  The neat thing is the advantage, which lets you tap your shield periodically to refresh a buff that allows you to keep accumulating energy as you take hits, as well as providing a little resistance.  The advantage doesn't preclude you from taking rank 3 either.  Not the hardest defense you could ask for, but it's got its uses.

Ice Shield (Ice, Energy Projector)
Provides 250/300/360% resistance to all incoming damage.  Has a 25/30/35% chance to apply the Chill effect to attackers within 10 feet.  Frigid Air advantage (2 points) allows Chill to be applied to attackers within 50 feet.

My Opinion: Another run-of-the-mill block replacement, in terms of damage resistance.  The Chill effect is solely useful for Ice characters who make use of the Chill effect.  By itself, the Chill from this power isn't useful for most characters - most enemies have some ranged attack so snaring and rooting them isn't very effective.  Even with the advantage, you're snaring/rooting enemies that can already shoot you.

Fire Shield (Fire, Energy Projector)
Provides 250/300/360% resistance to all incoming damage.  Has a 25/30/35% to apply Clinging Flames to your attacker when attacked in melee.

My Opinion: Though the resistance is average on this one, if you have powers that leverage Clinging Flames, or just want a shield that inflicts damage on those attacking you, this is about the best option available.  The Clinging Flames DoT does a lot more damage than most other hit me = take damage effects.

Telekinetic Shield (Telekinesis, Mentalist)
Provides 300/350/410% resistance to physical damage, and 250/300/360% resistance to all other forms of damage.  The Telekinetic Reinforcement advantage (1 point) allows your shield to persist for eight seconds after you lower it, providing 16% resistance to all forms of damage for 8 seconds.

My Opinion: While the shield itself is a standard block except for its above-average physical damage resistance, the advantage is nice for those who enjoy a bit of extra tankiness.  It's much like the Force Sheathe ability from Force Shield, except that it provides double the resistance, and doesn't return any energy.  You can tap your shield periodically to keep the 8-second buff going indefinitely.

Parry (all Martial Arts frameworks)
Provides 250/300/360% resistance to all incoming damage.  For the first two seconds after blocking, you will return a percentage of all damage that lands on you to the attacker.  The damage return effect cannot occur more than once every five seconds, though it doesn't interfere with normal blocking.  With The Elusive Monk advantage (3 points), your melee attacks will proc a 2-second buff that trades a small amount of damage in exchange for 88 Dodge and Avoidance (both scale with DEX), and 33% resistance to knock effect.

My Opinion: The block is run-of-the-mill, but the secondary effect is interesting.  If you're being beat on by enemies that deal a lot more damage than they can take, or that have powerful Schtick attacks, this block replacement can potentially deal a lot of damage if you time your block right.  The advantage prevents you from taking Rank 3 due to its cost, but provides you with a neat stacking melee proc that's great if you're relying on dodge/avoidance to mitigate damage, and have a lot of DEX.

Wind Barrier (Wind, Energy Projector)
Provides 250/300/360% resistance to all incoming damage.  Automatically attempts to repel all foes in front of you within 10 feet.  A foe that actually strikes you, from any direction, is also repelled even more forcefully.

My Opinion: This is an interesting one.  I don't know if the Repel effect counts as a Knock for purposes of earning stacks of Enraged! from the Enrage power, but if it does, this could be very powerful.  The repel effect is great for keeping melee attackers at bay; if they're susceptible to repels, you can pretty much guarantee that they can't sit there and pound on you.  You can also use the frontal repel effect to 'herd' enemies into nice tight groups for your allies to blast with AoEs.

Stone Shroud (Earth, Brick)
Provides 250/300/360% resistance to all incoming damage.

My Opinion: Yep.  That's it.  That's all it does.  A standard, vanilla, no-special-functions-whatsoever block replacement.  Arguably the worst you could take, for that very reason (Electric shield is a close competitor, being worse than average were it not for its secondary effect.) Yawn.

Guard (Heavy Weapon, Brick)
Provides 250/300/360% resistance to all incoming damage.  If hit, you gain the Retaliation effect, increasing the damage of your next attack by 83/100/120%.  Punitive Pummeling advantage (2 points) provides a 20% chance to knock back all enemies within 10 feet when hit.

My Opinion: Scroll up to where I detailed Retaliation.  Read that.  This power is just a Heavy Weapon clone of Retaliation, and has all the strengths and weaknesses thereof.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 04:09:10 PM by Kaiser Tarantula »

Starsman

• Elite Boss
Re: Thoughts on Freeform characters and power comparisons
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 04:32:13 PM »
I see this all over your post:

The advantage prevents you from taking Rank 3 due to its cost, but

Is there a limit to how many advantage points you can spend on any given power?
For the sake of the community: please stop the cultural "research" in your attempt to put blame on the game's cancelation.

It's sickening to see the community sink that low. It's worse to see the community does not get it.

I'm signing off and taking a break, blindly hope things change.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 04:50:44 PM »
I think it's 5 points per power, and each Rank costs two Advantage points.

JRVthatsME

• Lieutenant
  • When times are hard, take a stand and dont give up
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 06:17:27 PM »
The maximum advantage points it is possible to spend on any power in Champions Online is 5. By the time you get to level 40 (level cap in game) you will have earned a total of 36 advantage points. Advantage points do not have to be spent when earned but can be saved to purchase high cost advantages. For a better understanding of this and other details of how character progression works in Champions Online try playing around with the powerhouse webpage (Champions Online's version of Mids') on this link http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powerhouse.html

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 06:25:14 PM »
Ah that explains an "issue" i had last night... I wanted to add another perk, had the points, but it kept saying I did not have enough points for the level... I had already spent 4 points in the power and the third rank I wanted was 2 points, still had 2 points available and figured it was bugged...

That out of the way now... stone block is really that lame?

Also... is it me or there is a LOT of power redundancy in the game across the frameworks and even travel pools? Powers that barely have a difference and usually is just an animation or visual FX?

Also... still upset the "projection" sets have no melee attacks. I want a couple of fiery punches, darnit!

BTW: played a bit with an online builder, does the game lock me to a single energy builder per build? I recall hearing back in the day that it was easy to gimp yourself by taking multiple power builders but not sure if that even made it live, just recall the discussions in the CoH boards....
For the sake of the community: please stop the cultural "research" in your attempt to put blame on the game's cancelation.

It's sickening to see the community sink that low. It's worse to see the community does not get it.

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 08:35:34 PM »
Ah that explains an "issue" i had last night... I wanted to add another perk, had the points, but it kept saying I did not have enough points for the level... I had already spent 4 points in the power and the third rank I wanted was 2 points, still had 2 points available and figured it was bugged...
Yeah - you're limited to 5 advantage points per power.  That's why any advantage that costs 2 or more will prevent you from obtaining Rank 3 for most powers.

That out of the way now... stone block is really that lame?
Sadly yes.

Also... is it me or there is a LOT of power redundancy in the game across the frameworks and even travel pools? Powers that barely have a difference and usually is just an animation or visual FX?
There are a lot of powers across multiple power frameworks that do more-or-less the same thing.  However, many times these 'clones' are set up to specifically complement the set they come from.  An example is Retaliation - the Might Framework gives you Enrage, which provides a stacking damage buff that increments and refreshes as you inflict knockback.  Retaliation's advantage allows it to inflict knockback on anyone in melee range.

Also... still upset the "projection" sets have no melee attacks. I want a couple of fiery punches, darnit!
It might not be quite the same, but you can try Burning Chi Fist and Fury of the Dragon, if you'd like fiery-looking melee attacks.

BTW: played a bit with an online builder, does the game lock me to a single energy builder per build? I recall hearing back in the day that it was easy to gimp yourself by taking multiple power builders but not sure if that even made it live, just recall the discussions in the CoH boards....
You are limited to a single Energy Builder per build.  I ought to do a comparison of them next.

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 09:08:02 PM »
It might not be quite the same, but you can try Burning Chi Fist and Fury of the Dragon, if you'd like fiery-looking melee attacks.

It's not only about fiery attacks, but fire is a big one. I have had a fire melee tank that is meant to be rather brutish. The attacks fit nicely (although never thought Breath of fire fit him.) I was a big fan of the elemental/energy/dark melee sets in CoH and am noticing that other than savage

Things that would fill my peculiar interest would be adding melee attacks to the energy projection sets AND some of the mystic sets. Alternatively, giving these sets one power that had the one and only effect of turning melee effects into elemental versions. That would be the coolest as it would allow anyone to do something crazy like Icy Swords, Windy Punches or Dark Mace. I am guessing the engine supports it, given how some powers can grant other powers the ability to add effects (like you mention, Enrage to powers that inflict knockbacks.) What I don't know is if there is any way to reach the devs in this game :p (I heard of no devs listening to players like CoH devs did.)

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 06:14:38 AM »
My character with the Electric block and Vengeance advantage gains energy just fine while blocking.  Indeed, I've cleared a room full of enemies almost entirely *by* blocking.  It probably helps that she has Endurance and Recovery super stats (not to mention Regeneration). 
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 06:23:32 AM »
My character with the Electric block and Vengeance advantage gains energy just fine while blocking.  Indeed, I've cleared a room full of enemies almost entirely *by* blocking.  It probably helps that she has Endurance and Recovery super stats (not to mention Regeneration).
One of the advantages of CO's system is that almost any power can be made good, if you combine it with the right synergizing powers, specializations, superstats, talents, role choice, etc., etc., etc.

For instance, even Stone Shroud can be made somewhat useful, if combined with Fissure w/Reconstruct advantage.

On its own, for most builds, Electric Shield + Vengeance is gonna eat your energy for breakfast.  Losing 20 energy every time you take a hit from range is a lot.  If you spec totally for energy and energy recovery, however, you can basically turn yourself into Spark Kirby.  You also become something of a one-trick pony.

Personally, I wouldn't want to do it, and I stand by my opinion.  However, you're welcome to take my opinions as just that.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 07:02:57 AM »
On its own, for most builds, Electric Shield + Vengeance is gonna eat your energy for breakfast.  Losing 20 energy every time you take a hit from range is a lot.  If you spec totally for energy and energy recovery, however, you can basically turn yourself into Spark Kirby.  You also become something of a one-trick pony.

That's not my only trick.  With the Energy Unlock I can pretty much spam Chain Lightning and never have to touch my energy builder.

Mind you, I've also found that while the secondary effects of many of the block powers sound good on paper, in practice they're not all that spectacular.  And the resistance differences between them haven't seemed to matter all that much.  So I tend to choose them for aesthetics first.  I have yet to get much use out of Stone Shroud, Wind Barrier, or Ebon Void, though.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

JRVthatsME

• Lieutenant
  • When times are hard, take a stand and dont give up
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2012, 03:32:47 PM »
Something I'm going to suggest on the Champions Online forums are a selection of 10 permanent toggle devices that when activated will convert half your characters (physical) melee damage from powers into a type of energy, elemental or paranormal damage matching the type of device. Champions Online damage types: http://www.champions-online-wiki.com/wiki/Damage_Types

So basically the devices would be like this.

Device 1: [Flaming Melee] Converts half your crushing, slashing and piercing damage from melee attacks into fire damage.

Device 2: [Freezing Melee] Converts half your crushing, slashing and piercing damage from melee attacks into cold damage.

Device 3: [Corrupted Melee] Converts half your crushing, slashing and piercing damage from melee attacks into toxic damage.

Device 4: [Lightning Melee] Converts half your crushing, slashing and piercing damage from melee attacks into electrical damage.

Device 5: [Thundering Melee] Converts half your crushing, slashing and piercing damage from melee attacks into sonic damage.

Device 6: [Powered Melee] Converts half your crushing, slashing and piercing damage from melee attacks into particle damage.

Device 7: [Ebon Melee] Converts half your crushing, slashing and piercing damage from melee attacks into dimensional dark damage.

Device 8: [Divine Melee] Converts half your crushing, slashing and piercing damage from melee attacks into dimensional light damage.

Device 9: [Psychic Melee] Converts half your crushing, slashing and piercing damage from melee attacks into ego damage.

Device 10: [Enchanted Melee] Converts half your crushing, slashing and piercing damage from melee attacks into magic damage.

Of course these would not be the same as what we had but I think they'd make an acceptable substitute as far as Champions Online goes and I'm sure thre will be plenty of none CoH players who would like them too. Cryptic could maybe have these purchased they the C-Store and make a nice profit and I'm sure many of us wouldn't mind spending a little ZEN for something like these.

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, 04:16:08 PM »
2 things:

1) I like the idea of each set simply having a power available inside it that does this, instead of a device because this may allow players to start their characters this way. Heck, may be a property of the energy builder!

2) There ARE a lot of Psionic Melee attacks in the Telekinesis set.

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 02:17:11 PM »
In the interest of time and space, I'm going to stop giving full statblocks on powers.  You want those, you can just follow the links I'll provide to the CO-wiki.

Energy Builder Powers
Most energy builders just serve to build up energy, fill the dead space between attacks, and sometimes finish off a weakened Henchman.  Some people advocate not even using them, and speccing your character to the point where you don't need them.  This is fine and all, but honestly it does pay to put some thought into your energy builder.

Melee Energy Builders
These energy builders inflict a bit more damage, but you must be at point-blank range to use them, which is something of a detriment.  When at range, you generate less energy and taunt enemies to close with you.  Unlike ranged energy builders, which often have a small chance of a secondary effect built in, melee energy builders require an advantage to have a secondary effect besides damage.

Righteous Fists (Unarmed, Martial Arts)
My Opinion: A three-hit slightly slow combo with excellent energy gain and damage, this energy builder is solid.  With the Drunken Master advantage, it can provide a single stack of Focus, but at 10% proc chance you probably won't be able to get it easily and it can't provide more than 1 stack.

Vicious Strikes (Unarmed, Martial Arts)
My Opinion: The other option for energy builder for Martial arts, this one is a two-hit combo that is blisteringly fast compared to other melee EBs, but its damage-per-hit leaves a bit to be desired.  The higher speed makes it a bit easier to gain a stack of focus with Drunken Master, but that's really all it has going for it.

Hawk's Talons (Fighting Claws, Martial Arts)
My Opinion: This one's mostly a variation of Righteous Fists, but with the damage and energy generation concentrated in the second hit of the 3-hit combo and slightly higher overall damage.  The Peerless Predation advantages is your standard martial arts "10% chance to get 1 stack of Focus" effect; Drunken Master by another name.

Rain of Steel (Dual Blades, Martial Arts)
My Opinion: This energy builder is surprisingly effective.  This is a cone melee attack striking every enemy in front of you.  While a bit slow compared to some EBs, it's a four-hit combo that can absolutely maul packs of henchmen and generates excellent energy.  The Grinning Ghost advantage is once again just Drunken Master by another name; your standard "10% chance for Focus" effect.

Reaper's Touch (Single Blade, Martial Arts)
My Opinion: Not a bad EB.  It's a two-hit combo with solid damage and a slightly slow animation, but great energy gain.  As you might guess, Three-Edged Blade is your bog-standard Martial Arts 10% chance of Focus advantage.

Bestial Fury (Bestial Supernatural, Mystic)
My Opinion: Great energy gain and damage on the first hit of this of this two hit combo, but the second hit kinda sucks for both.  You could definitely do worse though.  Rip and Tear provides a 10% chance to inflict Bleeding, which is a nice DoT on its own and synergizes with a couple other Bestial Supernatural powers.  The fact that it's a DoT makes this advantage worth considering, even if you don't rank up Bestial Fury at all.

Clobber (Might, Brick)
My Opinion: This is the exception to the rule that energy builders don't inflict effects.  Clobber has a 10% chance to inflict Disorient on the first attack of its two-hit combo.  This makes it sometimes useful for softening up enemies if you get lucky enough to proc it.  The Onslaught advantage provides a 15% chance of gaining a stack of Enrage, which is better than the average proc rate, and the It's That Time advantage provides the ability to proc Disorient on every hit, instead of just the first.

Bludgeon (Heavy Weapon, Brick)
My Opinion: Easily the most brutal of EBs in sheer damage, despite its slow speed.  It's a two-hit combo with outstanding energy generation, and hits a 3-foot cylinder in front of you.  This means you can easily smack multiple enemies with it.  Even nicer, it inflicts Disorient on its first hit, at a 15% proc chance.  This is easily one of the best melee energy builders.  The Until Morale Improves advantage gives you the ability to proc Disorient on every hit, instead of just the first.  The only downside is that Bludgeon has no advantage that allows it to buff you or maintain a buff.

Wield Earth (Earth, Brick)
My Opinion: This one's a bit of an odd duck among energy builders - you can actually use it at both melee range and from a distance, and it changes based on your range from them.  Damage and energy generation on its 2-hit combo is pretty standard, but it has a whopping 20% chance to proc the Stagger effect.  The Faltering Strikes advantage gives you a chance to proc the Stagger effect on any hit in the combo instead of just the first.

Ego Blade (Telekinesis, Mentalist)
My Opinion: Another weird one - this one uses your Ego to scale damage instead of Strength.  Damage is great, energy generation is average, and it's a somewhat-slow 2-hit combo.  Unlike most, the first attack in this combo can provide Ego Leech, and this can stack up to 5 times instead of just once.  The Leeching Strikes advantage allows it to do this on any attack, and given that this power can stack Ego Leech, it's something worth considering.  The Incisive Wit advantage gives you a 15% chance to gain Id Surge (maximum 1 proc every 20 seconds), which provides a massive +33 Ego and a 42% increase to all Paranormal damage you inflict.  This one I'd seriously consider taking the advantages on, due to their hefty proc rates and stackability.

I'll cover Ranged energy Builders in a separate post, or edit this one if there's no replies.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2012, 04:14:03 PM »
Something worth noting regarding ego blade, or actually all the various ego blade powers. If you take ID Mastery, Ego Form or Mental Discipline and take the free ID Blades advantage on it, all the ego blade powers gain a second blade. This effect is entirely cosmetic and doesn't change the actual functionality of the power at all. Notably, Ego Blade uses the animation for Reaper's Touch normally but with ID Blades uses the Rain of Steel animation instead, but does not become a cone power for it.

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2012, 11:39:01 AM »
Ranged Energy Builders

Throw Fire (Fire, Energy Projector)
Slightly faster than most EBs, its energy generation is slightly poorer on the second hit.  It has a 20% chance of applying Clinging Flames on the first shot, which is a rather high proc chance, and the Fuel My Fire advantage gives it a chance to apply the DoT with every shot.  The Burning Desire advantage gives the power a chance to chain to an additional target; this doesn't generate additional energy, but it does give it a chance to light targets up.  Due to the high proc rate, this EB is actually very good for applying Clinging Flames to enemies, if you take both advantages, making it useful outside of its intended purpose of generating energy.

Electric Bolt (Electric, Energy Projector)
Very slightly below-average speed with very significantly above-average energy generation.  With a whopping 25% chance of applying Negative Ions with the first attack, this has one of the best secondary effect proc rates of any energy builder.  The Ionic Infusion advantage not only allows it to apply Negative Ions on every attack, but doubles the procrate to 50%.  In addition, Lightning Overload gives it a chance to jump to an additional target beside the first.  This makes Electric Bolt incredible for spreading Negative Ions among enemies, so that your other powers can take advantage of them.

Ice Shards (Ice, Energy Projector)
Kinda underwhelming - while it's the second-fastest ranged EB in terms of speed, it's also one of the worst at producing energy.  It has the usual standard 20% chance to cause Chill on the first hit, but unlike other EBs it doesn't have an advantage to allow procs on each hit, and a dedicated Ice character has better ways of inflicting Chill.  The Ice Impaler advantage gives it a 15% bonus crit chance, but since Ice is rather lacking for critical hit bonuses, and EBs aren't meant to deal a lot of damage, there's really not much benefit to taking it unless you have a specialization that procs on a crit.

Force Bolts (Force, Energy Projector)
This is about as bog-standard of a ranged EB as you could ask for.  Average fire rate, average energy generation, the only unusual thing about it is that instead of proccing a debuff, it procs a small knockback on the first hit.  The Energy Refraction advantage is curious though - it provides a chance for your Force Bolts to proc a short-lived, modest absorption shield around you that counts as an energy form.  As a result, Force Bolts might be useful for a ranged tank that wants a bit more survivability, or a free energy form to consume with Force Cascade.

Gunslinger (Munitions, Technology)
Pretty standard, although the second attack has better-than-average generation and is the same speed as the first.  It's unusual among ranged EBs that it has no proc without an advantage.  With the Trick Shot advantage, you have a 50% chance to chain each of your shots to a second target (100% if you are Enraged), and the target takes double damage if Feared.  Sadly, it's still an EB, so even these bonuses really can't turn it into a useful attack.

Steady Shot (Munitions, Technology)
Several ranged frameworks have multiple energy builders to choose from, and Steady Shot is the second one for Munitions.  Steady shot is unusual among EBs in that it has no proc, all of its attacks are the same speed, and it actually deals above-average damage.  The problem?  It's slow as heck, and as a result, doesn't generate energy very quickly.  Normally, I'd suggest avoiding Steady Shot, but the Paint the Target advantage is handy - with it, each shot adds 3% to your critical chance and 3% critical severity, up to 5 stacks.  All stacks are consumed on a crit, but you can basically use your EB 5 times, then bust out your most powerful attack (like say Sniper Rifle) and then crit.

Sonic Blaster (Gadgeteering, Technology)
On the surface, this is just Gunslinger with a different damage type.  It does, however, have a 15% chance on the first shot to produce a small knockback.  The Refraction of Sound advantage transforms it from a single-target attack to a cone ranged effect, making the proc slightly more useful.  Still, not something I'd personally recommend.

Strafe (Archery, Technology)
This one's a little odd - the first shot is fast, but the rest are slower and stronger.  Other than that, it's pretty average and has no secondary effect without an advantage.  With the Aversion advantage, critting with this EB gives you a stack of Aversion, which applies a portion of your Intelligence to your Dodge and Avoidance for 10 seconds.  Not bad if you wind up 'wasting' a crit on your EB.

Wrist Bolter (Power Armor, Technology)
Pretty basic and has no secondary effects.  The advantage, Automated Assault is interesting though.  This makes Wrist Bolter a Hand Slot power armor attack.  It can't generate energy when used alongside other Power Armor toggles, but it does let you keep your EB turned on at all times.

Power Bolt (Power Armor, Technology)
A fairly standard EB, but it does have a nice secondary effect.  The first shot has a respectable 20% chance of applying a Plasma Burn DoT.  The It Burns! advantage allows it to do this on every shot.  Standard fare - the EB is more useful for the Plasma Burn proc and energy than its damage.

Kinetic Darts (Telekinesis, Mentalist)
A standard ranged EB with a 15% chance to provide Ego Leech on the first shot.  Leeching Strikes is your standard "proc on any shot instead of just the first" advantage.  Incisive Wit, however, is an interesting advantage, and potentially one worth making use of.  You have a 15% chance to apply Id Surge to yourself, which gives you +33 Ego and a 42% bonus to all Paranormal damage you inflict.  It can only occur once every 20 seconds, but still, that's handy.

Psi Lash (Telepathy, Mentalist)
Another standard ranged EB, this one with no secondary effect.  The Psychic Reveberations advantage gives it a 15% chance to give you 6-second buff that improves all Ego damage you inflict by 10%.

Shadow Bolt (Darkness, Mystic)
This is your standard ranged EB, but with Fear as a secondary effect at 15% proc chance on the first hit.  The Despondency advantage is interesting though - not only does it give you the chance to apply Fear with all attacks instead of just the first, but it also causes your attacks to lower the enemy's dodge chance by 10%.

Eldritch Bolts (Sorcery, Mystic)
This, at first, looks like a pretty standard EB.  15% proc chance for Root, first shot only.  The interesting thing is that the advantage, Wizard's Discretion, does not allow you to proc a Root with each shot.  Instead, it adds a 20% chance of a 2-second stun to each shot.  This makes Eldritch Bolts one of the few EBs capable of producing multiple proc effects.

Radiance (Celestial, Mystic)
Not only is this EB blisteringly fast, but it's a real oddball of an EB too - you can target friends with it, and doing so heals them with each shot.  This makes it one of the best EBs for a support character, since you can use it to heal up allies and generate energy even in the absence of enemies.  The Convergence advantage gives it a 20% chance to chain to a second target, with a twist.  If it chains from a friend, it'll hit an enemy.  If it chains from an enemy, it'll hit a friendly.

Wield Earth (Earth, Brick)
Hey, you remember this one right?  Yeah, it's back again, and once again, it can be used from either range or melee, with different animations and damage amounts for each.  From a distance, it uses Ego instead of Strength for damage scaling, and it retains its 20% chance to Stagger enemies on the first hit.  The Faltering Strikes advantage gives it the chance to Stagger on every shot instead of just the first.

Infernal Bolts (Infernal Supernatural, Mystic)
A pretty standard energy builder, with the usual 15% chance on the first shot of applying a secondary effect, in this case Deadly Poison.  Where Infernal Bolts differs is in the nature of Deadly Poison itself - it's a stacking DoT.  As a result, the Toxin Overload advantage, which allows you to proc on every shot instead of just the first, is actually useful for this one.  It allows you to stack Deadly Poison fairly rapidly using just your EB.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2012, 01:48:23 PM »
With the Trick Shot advantage, you have a 50% chance to chain each of your shots to a second target (100% if you are Enraged), and the target takes double damage if Feared.

Pretty sure that should be concentrated, not enraged. Concentration being the munitions form power.

SARobb

• Boss
  • Rawr.
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2012, 06:11:39 PM »

Radiance (Celestial, Mystic)
Not only is this EB blisteringly fast, but it's a real oddball of an EB too - you can target friends with it, and doing so heals them with each shot.  This makes it one of the best EBs for a support character, since you can use it to heal up allies and generate energy even in the absence of enemies.  The Convergence advantage gives it a 20% chance to chain to a second target, with a twist.  If it chains from a friend, it'll hit an enemy.  If it chains from an enemy, it'll hit a friendly.

Just a note from someone that has a pure Celestial... the targeting can get kinda wonky on this, because you don't actually need any target at all.  So, with other energy builders you can double click a power to target the next closest enemy, but with Radiance you'll start healing yourself.  Took me a week to program <tab> first into my head.   ;)
Stand up for what you beleive in - even if you are standing alone

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2012, 07:46:34 PM »
Pretty sure that should be concentrated, not enraged. Concentration being the munitions form power.
I was going by the wiki.  If you have a munitions character and can check ingame (a screenshot of the power w/advanced info turned on would be great), I'd appreciate it and correct the post accordingly.