Author Topic: Chaparral Shrub's CoH Movie Studio requesting technical assistance  (Read 3303 times)

chaparralshrub

• Elite Boss
All right, here's the gig. The City of Heroes client has a demo record feature, which let you record your missions. These demos are stored as text files, containing the locations of all of the things in your recording, including their coordinates, movements, animations, damage, etc. Naturally, these text files can be edited.

This means that it's possible to make CoH movies. This was how the screenshots displayed in this article were made. I now believe that this is how Paragon devs made all of the actual in-game cutscenes, too. Paragon Wiki has a rudimentary page describing the commands that you can give here. However, in order to make the movies that I want to make, I would greatly appreciate the following questions answered. Thank you all for your help!

I'm a Mac user. How do I watch my CoH demorecordings with my Mac CoH client?

How do I make a custom critter in a movie as I would using Mission Architect?

Is there a repository anywhere containing the names of maps, critters, etc. that we can use as a catalog for moviemaking?

Can we set up a sharing website for CoH players to post their demos so that we can learn each-other's tricks (maybe on Orouboros Portal)?

Thank you very much!

Hotaru

• Lieutenant
  • Just a demo-loving fool in the Far East...
Re: Chaparral Shrub's CoH Movie Studio requesting technical assistance
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 03:37:46 AM »
Head on over to the Demo Recording sub board in the Multimedia section--I think you'll find a few like-minded individuals there.  ;)
http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/board,167.0.html

chaparralshrub

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 03:48:26 AM »
Thank you, Hotaru - can a friendly mod perhaps move this thread to where it belongs? :)

Glass Goblin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 08:56:42 PM »
I'm afraid I can't help with the Mac question, nor do I know the answer regarding AE critters (although I suspect that's a non-starter at this point), but the last two things you mention are currently underway. :-)

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 09:01:38 PM »
Here are some repositories.

http://home.roadrunner.com/~scuzzbopper/ (last updated in 2008/2009, hasnt been updated since)
http://www.randomdice.com/cohdemo/default.aspx
I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go
Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder

Waiting for an invitation to arrive
Goin' to a party where no one's still alive

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 10:54:36 PM »
How do I make a custom critter in a movie as I would using Mission Architect?

Depends on the number of slots the critters have available - best case scenario, you could use a player character model and install the needed parts on it.

Is there a repository anywhere containing the names of maps, critters, etc. that we can use as a catalog for moviemaking?
Yes (links above) and I'm working on code that allows a demo hosting site to harvest those names off demo files uploaded to it.
Can we set up a sharing website for CoH players to post their demos so that we can learn each-other's tricks (maybe on Orouboros Portal)?
Coming Soon (TM).  :)
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

chaparralshrub

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 03:34:42 AM »
Thank you very much - what about the Macintosh question? :)

Glass Goblin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 03:48:52 AM »
Thank you very much - what about the Macintosh question? :)

I'm not a Mac user, but unless I'm mistaken, you have access to a command line for starting programs, don't you? A console window or something? It seems as though the program should still take the same parameters as in Windows (as shown in the tutorials in the wiki), but I don't know precisely how to get them there.

I wish I could help more.

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go
Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder

Waiting for an invitation to arrive
Goin' to a party where no one's still alive