Author Topic: Fantastic Four Reboot!  (Read 13029 times)

Portland Underground

• Underling
  • Qui Docet Discit
Fantastic Four Reboot!
« on: December 08, 2012, 03:28:55 AM »
I hope they do it justice this time.  Please lord, no Alba.  Just...no.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/173981-release-date-set-for-fantastic-four-reboot

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
Re: Fantastic Four Reboot!
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 03:59:18 PM »
Yes, while I watched both films in the Theatre to support Stan Lee,
I wasn't happy with the actors chosen. Mr.Fantastic was o.k. though.

I also wasn't happy with actor chosen for Capt.America, it is way off.

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 07:17:24 PM »
I also wasn't happy with actor chosen for Capt.America, it is way off.

I don't agree.

Anyway, this reboot is definitely overdue. The previous pair of films irritated the snot out of me on several fronts. While I don't expect slavish homages (just the opposite in fact: I completely understand the need to change things when stories jump mediums), I also don't like it when they make changes that don't need to be made or made so drastically.

For example, Doom in the first film: they decided to have him along for the ride, and mutated him along with the Fantastic Four proper. I did not like that at all.

And in the second film, apart from Alba looking like a damned mannequin that was dwelling deep in the uncanny valley, I hated Galactus as a giant space-vortex. Sure, I don't expect a big dude in a tuning-fork helmet wearing that silly outfit, but what we got was absolutely horrible.

So yes please, reboot away!
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/

Profit

• Boss
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 12:20:03 AM »
I must be the only person in the world who liked the FF movies lol. The only complaint I had with them was Doom.

Also, to completely ruin my credibility, I think that the Ang Lee Hulk was better than the Norton Hulk, because if I wanted the TV show, I'd watch the TV show. And Edward Norton is no Bill Bixby. Although, Mark Ruffalo is the best Hulk.

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 12:24:53 AM »
You know, I was concerned about Ruffalo when he was cast. as usually I shrugged and said "wait and see" to myself.

Now I want some stand-alone Hulk films with Ruffalo in em. He was so darned awesome in The Avengers. I think he signed something like a 5-6 picture deal, so one can hope! :D
... ^o^CORVUS^o^

Profit

• Boss
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 12:29:11 AM »
I was exactly the same way and went into Avengers with a little fear for the part. Ruffalo won me over the moment he hit the table and then switched gears back to calm smiling so quickly.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 01:18:45 AM »
Well they obviously need to recast because you can't have the face of Capt America being the same as Johnny Storm.

I didn't mind Ms Alba except the chemistry between her and Reed was simply non-existent.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Profit

• Boss
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 01:58:35 AM »
True about Capt A and Johnny Storm.

Although, I thought Chris Evans and Micheal Chilkis were perfect as the The Human Torch and The Thing.

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 04:01:42 AM »
Chilkis was the best Thing (no pun intended) about those films. He was really good.
... ^o^CORVUS^o^

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 05:04:45 AM »
I must be the only person in the world who liked the FF movies lol. The only complaint I had with them was Doom.

Also, to completely ruin my credibility, I think that the Ang Lee Hulk was better than the Norton Hulk, because if I wanted the TV show, I'd watch the TV show. And Edward Norton is no Bill Bixby. Although, Mark Ruffalo is the best Hulk.

Ang Lee messed the Hulk up so bad, I didn't think they'd be able to save it.  Thankfully, I was wrong, and definitely agree that Ruffalo is a much better *Banner.*  Ed Norton is good, though, and I truly liked his take on Banner.

NONE of those guys were Hulk.  Just VOs at that point for the little bit of lines. ;)

But nope, I liked both FF movies, and am a little sad that they didn't find their following and the FF have to be rebooted.  Although I will say that the chemistry of Sue and Mr. Fantastic was just so... gah.  Acid is less torturous than the tension they made between those two, both movies.  Really?  Stuck up b*tch...

That's not Alba's fault, mind, that's the writer's.  I thought all the characters were done well, just written badly.  Silver Surfer himself ruled big time, and the second was a better movie than the first, but the damage was done by the 'character development', which should have been done between the two lovebirds.  Thing and Johnny were dead on, ya ask me, I liked the smart-ass and the straight man they were doing... Laurel and Hardy, or Abbot and Costello anyone?

Nonetheless, I am anxious to see who they cast now.  If they don't pull a Green Lantern, and instead pull an Ed Norton Hulk movie off, it'll be good stuff.

/Then we'll see "The Fantastic Avengers" or something where the two franchises square off against each other and then pull together to once again save the world from Doom. 
//Perhaps literally, as Doom or Galactus, plus Thanos or maybe Ultrion or possibly Korvac, could be in play by then...  I dunno, as long as it's Whedon in command, we're good.

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2012, 05:06:49 AM »
Actually, Ruffalo did all the motion-capture for the Hulk, so yeah, he was not only Banner, but the hulk as well. So, neener! :D
... ^o^CORVUS^o^

Profit

• Boss
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2012, 05:28:20 AM »
And I think I read somewhere that Lou Ferigno (sp) did the voice of Hulk in the Avengers.

I think Ang Lee did a brilliant job wih Hulk as he tried to make a hulk movie with story instead of just two hours of hulk smash. I get that all most people want is hulk smash with a ligh storyline though.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2012, 07:08:51 AM »
True about Capt A and Johnny Storm.

Although, I thought Chris Evans and Micheal Chilkis were perfect as the The Human Torch and The Thing.
Definitely, now that was chemistry.   It's just too bad about Hornblower and Max.

And I think I read somewhere that Lou Ferigno (sp) did the voice of Hulk in the Avengers.

I think Ang Lee did a brilliant job wih Hulk as he tried to make a hulk movie with story instead of just two hours of hulk smash. I get that all most people want is hulk smash with a ligh storyline though.
Yes, Lou voiced Hulk in all both movies (as Norton's and Ruffallo's "other guy").
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Nos482

• Elite Boss
  • We've gone and done the greatest crime...
    • My PSN profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2012, 01:40:34 PM »
TBH all I want from a FF movie is him

Even if he would look like THIS

...and maybe a Thing that doesn't look like a pile of rubber on a rather small guy.
Make Grimm all CGI instead and bigger.
I'm bad and that's good.
I'll never be good and that's not bad.
There's no one I'd rather be than me.

...unless I could be Batman, of course. Everybody wants to be Batman.

Portland Underground

• Underling
  • Qui Docet Discit
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2012, 06:00:27 PM »

Make Grimm all CGI instead and bigger.

I like that idea!  Chiklis certainly had Ben's spirit, but a CGI Thing would be capable of so much more physically.  And for me, Doom needs to be played by an actor with serious gravity.  Thinking Sir Ian as Magneto levels.   Not sure who that could be...but someone who could imbue that magnificent combination of arrogance and malevolence that Doom exudes.

Profit

• Boss
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2012, 06:27:44 PM »
Honestly I'm pretty sick of the CGI stuff. I think Ben was fine the way he was personally.

As for Doom... Sometimes I wonder if Pierce Brosnan could pull it off. Occasionally George Clooney pops into my head, but I'm saving him for a good Batman movie. (Which he can do, that atrocity was all Schumakers fault, and for the people who say he can't do it I point you to Oceans 11, just imagine Clooneys name in that movie is Bruce.)

Battlechimp

• Boss
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2012, 06:35:23 PM »

For example, Doom in the first film: they decided to have him along for the ride, and mutated him along with the Fantastic Four proper. I did not like that at all.

This part was actually taken from the Ultimate Fantastic Four comics.  Doom's body became metal and he had those electrical powers.  have a few problems with that myself, but I do think it works better for a short explination of Doom becoming even more power hungry and to hate Reed beyond, "Oh no you scarred my face in an accident from when we were back in college" :)

I was rather disappointed in how Doom never talked in the third person.  First movie, I can kinda see it.  He hasn't made his way to that level of meglomania yet.  But that last fight scene was a great place to put it in.  And in the second movie when he confronted the Surfer in the arctic.  His line "No one turns their back on me!"  really should have been along the lines of "None thurn their back on DOOM!"  It was the perfect oppurtunity and they missed it.

As for the reboot, I'm ok with it.  But I would rather Fox just give up on it and hand them back to Marvel.
Some men were born to greatness, others had it thrust upon them.  Me?  I punted. - Col Cranston Snord

Blow things up! Blow things up! Blow things up! Blo... wait, not that!! - Jammers everywhen

Cobra Man

• Boss
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2012, 09:29:15 PM »
The first movie was let down by the way they handled Doom.

Had they stuck with the way he is always portrayed in the Marvel Universe, then the film might have been better received.

I would have Viggo Mortensen cast in the role of Doom. He's well capable of supplying the gravity that's required.

I also think that the writers really need to steer well clear of the Ultimate Universe version of the FF.

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2012, 09:54:48 PM »
This part was actually taken from the Ultimate Fantastic Four comics.  Doom's body became metal and he had those electrical powers.  have a few problems with that myself, but I do think it works better for a short explination of Doom becoming even more power hungry and to hate Reed beyond, "Oh no you scarred my face in an accident from when we were back in college" :)

Yeah, I later found out that's how they did it in the Ultimates-verse, but that doesn't help *lol*. I like Victor as a genius who is THAT vain and THAT nuts, and not as a mutate like the FF themselves. But then I'm an old fogey ;)

As for the reboot, I'm ok with it.  But I would rather Fox just give up on it and hand them back to Marvel.

1000x this!
... ^o^CORVUS^o^

Mental Maden

• Boss
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2012, 03:07:46 PM »

Your credibility is safe with me.  I liked a lot of things about the Ang Lee Hulk.  The hulk dogs and the Absorbing Daddy bits were bad, but I liked the visuals and the look of the Hulk better in Lee's over Nortons.  Then came the Avengers and I forgot both of them.