Author Topic: Alert the Colbert Nation (We need a Colbert SuperNation TV-Ready Webpage!)  (Read 65337 times)

Roughtrade

• Boss
  • Sitting on a Cornflake
Re: Alert the Colbert Nation (We need a Colbert SuperNation TV-Ready Webpage!)
« Reply #120 on: December 11, 2012, 07:19:51 AM »
HHmm..  My lack of Facebook knowledge is limiting...

There are some web pages that, when linked to someone on Facebook, have an image/icon that automatically attaches.  A thumbnail.  Can we do that? 

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #121 on: December 11, 2012, 08:26:38 AM »
HHmm..  My lack of Facebook knowledge is limiting...

There are some web pages that, when linked to someone on Facebook, have an image/icon that automatically attaches.  A thumbnail.  Can we do that?

I was going to suggest adding one of those "Share on Facebook buttons" to the mainpage, not sure we're talking about the same thing.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #122 on: December 11, 2012, 12:44:40 PM »
I'll say it again.

You make me cry.  I am so freaking proud of you!  YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!  Just the right combination of truth and comedy!

OK we need the Multimedia page.  Hash tag Colbert SuperNation.  We already have hash tag SaveCoH.  I think we can probably unleash this baby today.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Mandrake

• Boss
« Reply #123 on: December 11, 2012, 12:56:01 PM »
Just checking in before I head out. No time to make changes but noting things I need to do:
- Grammar and capitolization changes - will do
- Facebook icon - That can be done, but not sure about the ethics of attaching a page to someone elses facebook page?
-- I have a social plugin, can choose any number of thumbnails - Facebook, Twitter, Google+, RSS, etc. Click and take you to your social media. Acceptable to be someone elses though? Never done that in all my years. I'll let you all decide.
- fine print footer - done just forgot to do that - thanks for the reminder.

VyoletRose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #124 on: December 11, 2012, 03:10:26 PM »
The site is looking great! and I can view it well on  my mobile :)

Excellent job on the "before" picture Colette - especially with the spirit ot Statesman behind us - its right on they money and impactful! I'll see about conjuring up some flying toons for it.

Go team go!
Save City of Heroes | http://www.ourcityofheroes.com/

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #125 on: December 11, 2012, 03:32:30 PM »
G'morning!

Thank'ya Vyo. Some minor touchup needs doing on both, I think.

"Before" needs flyers and a row of torchbearers in back.

"After," needs that left hand worked on, and the "sleeves" of Angry Asian are cut off. See it?

I think that would do it. Our task for the day. We did good, you'n me.  :)

VyoletRose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #126 on: December 11, 2012, 04:21:42 PM »
Fixed the sleeves, and saved it for web - should load faster now. Working on the other one now :)

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #127 on: December 11, 2012, 04:52:57 PM »
Excellent!

Con permiso, I toned down a white patch on the left of City Hall that I felt drew the eye. And I really missed the money. So... I hope you won't mind the tinkering.

Little Green Frog

• Boss
  • @Little Green Frog
« Reply #128 on: December 11, 2012, 05:08:55 PM »

Good Lord. I miss CoH, so I joined these forums to keep tabs on what is going on with the effort to resurrect it maybe and possibly help somehow. Then I see stuff like this and am honestly starting to think the time is night to forget all about good old Paragon and simply move on.

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #129 on: December 11, 2012, 05:16:42 PM »
Welcome, Little Green Frog. Perhaps you should take the time to look over all our work, the careful way we crafted these images, (changing "Korean" into "foreign," for example) and the fact that we are legitimately angry at NCSoft for their actions, callous disregard and arrogance.

Hopefully then you'll feel more comfortable.  :)

Little Green Frog

• Boss
  • @Little Green Frog
« Reply #130 on: December 11, 2012, 05:21:37 PM »
Welcome, Little Green Frog. Perhaps you should take the time to look over all our work, the careful way we crafted these images, (changing "Korean" into "foreign," for example) and the fact that we are legitimately angry at NCSoft for their actions, callous disregard and arrogance.

Hopefully then you'll feel more comfortable.  :)

Well, hello! As an outsider (not really, been lurking for months now, actually) I can tell you it still reeks of racism.

VyoletRose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #131 on: December 11, 2012, 05:30:09 PM »
Added flyers and saved for web...

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #132 on: December 11, 2012, 05:35:13 PM »
That's just perfect! :: Applauds! ::

Well done, Vy. I think we can consider the artwork locked.

Mandrake, V.V., please call if you need anything more.

VyoletRose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #133 on: December 11, 2012, 05:37:49 PM »
I took it as a satire - how a foreign corporation has burned their bridge with western markets, leaving a destroyed community in its wake, because of a callous "realignment" strategy.

We don't want to make a racist statement.

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #134 on: December 11, 2012, 05:53:27 PM »
I have already reported the Frog as a unicorn. But let's go ahead and discuss the issue, just to be clear.

I'm comfortable with the use of the "Angry Asian" meme. NCSoft has in fact misbehaved, and they are in fact Asian. We are not saying with this image that all Asains are good, bad, angry, or anything. The character is clearly labeled "NCSoft," and that is who we are angry with.

The precursor image used the singer Psy, who has become the "face of Korea" in pop culture's eyes. Vy here has wisely changed that to this generic Asian, who may be Korean, Chinese, Japanese, whatever. We have also at Lily's promptings changed "Korean" to "foreign."

The use of the American Flag in the background is less inflamatory than my previous use of a burning flag. It is appropriate for the Colbert show, which satirizes racism and jingoism.

(And lest I be accused of crazy-American nationalism in these claims, I remind everyone that Superman, the primal superhero, was created by Jewish immigrants and a Canadian. The American Way is to accept the contributions of all who choose to live here, equally and without discrimination.)

Is our use of imagery and words inflamatory? Yes indeed! Is it aimed against Koreans or Asians per se? No. Is it aimed squarely at NCSoft? Yes.

However, I do invite -- reasonable -- dissenting opinions.

Little Green Frog

• Boss
  • @Little Green Frog
« Reply #135 on: December 11, 2012, 06:06:47 PM »
I have already reported the Frog as a unicorn. But let's go ahead and discuss the issue, just to be clear.

Thank you kindly. Unicorns are such lovely creatures and I do enjoy being considered one, even though I feel comfortable being a simple frog.

As for the rest of your post - well - the first thing that pops into my mind when I see that image is racism, plain and simple. I do not have a mental uplink to author's brain to know that their motives were pure and honest, even though I know the context which the intended recipient may not be very familiar with. And while I do not want to speak for people I do not know about how they will respond, my common sense says the reaction to this image will be very negative.

MZUPON29

• Underling
« Reply #136 on: December 11, 2012, 06:08:28 PM »
I thought the "Angry Asian Guy" was Colbert himself at first....

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #137 on: December 11, 2012, 06:25:24 PM »
Y'know... after slaving all day yesterday on this effort... after heeding every cautionary word... and especially after spending a decade serving alongside Asian-Americans, African-Americans, Latin Americans, Semetic-Americans and my fellow Irish-Americans (who were never invited into the White Man's clubhouse thankyouverymuch!) someone strolling in here and casually, bluntly calling me a racist just infuriates me.

I think Vy's image rocks! And so do a lot of people here. I think it captures just how plain mad we are at NCSoft.

However, with teeth gritted, I will happily look over any alternative image you'd care to contribute, Frog. So show us what'cha got already.

Little Green Frog

• Boss
  • @Little Green Frog
« Reply #138 on: December 11, 2012, 06:37:07 PM »
Y'know... after slaving all day yesterday on this effort... after heeding every cautionary word... and especially after spending a decade serving alongside Asian-Americans, African-Americans, Latin Americans, Semetic-Americans and my fellow Irish-Americans (who were never invited into the White Man's clubhouse thankyouverymuch!) I'm so sick of people strolling in here and casually calling me a racist that I can barely contain myself!

I think Vy's image rocks! And so do a lot of people here. I think it captures just how plain mad we are at NCSoft.

However, with teeth gritted, I will happily look over any alternative image you'd care to contribute, Frog. So show us what'cha got already.

I know you are considering me to be your enemy right now, but I am really not. I am trying to help. City of Heroes is just as dear to me as it is to you. But I strongly believe that if we have any chance at bringing the game back to life at all, we need to exert caution and - to be blunt - avoid doing stupid things. Acting out of anger is never a good idea. It will bring harm to you and may actually help those you are trying to hurt. They'll point at you (and us all), yell "hey, look, these guys are racists" and any positive PR we may have accumulated will drop like a dead fly. Have you considered all this before you started using the campaign to save CoH as an outlet for all your negative emotions related to the game closure?

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #139 on: December 11, 2012, 06:44:34 PM »
"I know you are considering me to be your enemy right now, but I am really not. I am trying to help."

Alright, despite being personally insulted, I'm going to take you at your word. You can help by offering a superior image.

Now, Lily, who shared your concerns, offered a Godzilla-like monster. Perhaps that approach would assuage your concerns? Or maybe you have a better idea. So... don't waste time talking to me, 'cause we busted our butts getting this done yesterday. Offer us a superior image. Make one that beats Vy's, I'm sure she'll be graceful about it. And so will I, because I want what's best for SaveCoH.

So... off to work with you.