Author Topic: Alert the Colbert Nation (We need a Colbert SuperNation TV-Ready Webpage!)  (Read 65303 times)

Colette

• Elite Boss
Re: Alert the Colbert Nation (We need a Colbert SuperNation TV-Ready Webpage!)
« Reply #260 on: December 13, 2012, 03:38:40 PM »
Glad to have you with us, Lily. This thread is just hammering it out, the site itself is whatcha want.

http://www.ncsoftdestroysheroes.com/

Leandro, I need a nice, artifact-free version of this.

And if you check the site, you'll see a crowd scene I pasted over the steps. If you or anyone had that in a pristine form, that too.

No hurry.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 04:14:41 AM by Colette »

VyoletRose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #261 on: December 13, 2012, 06:25:06 PM »
I'm pondering another splash page idea. I went back to VV's first announcement, coming up with alternative ideas to meet the request for

Evil NCSoft CRUSHING the valiant and patriotic heroes of the Colbert Natio

Do we have screenshots of the base that could be used? Maybe even just a SG flag with a big "C" on it?
Save City of Heroes | http://www.ourcityofheroes.com/

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #262 on: December 13, 2012, 06:56:28 PM »
Glad to have you with us, Lily. This thread is just hammering it out, the site itself is whatcha want.

http://www.ncsoftdestroysheroes.com/

Leandro, I need a nice, artifact-free version of this.

http://i1305.photobucket.com/albums/s556/JackNolan1/cityhall.jpg

And if you check the site, you'll see a crowd scene I pasted over the steps. If you or anyone had that in a pristine form, that too.

No hurry.

I will certainly check it out when I have the time. I'm not making any promises as I really don't know if I will game the time to maintain a site unless it will remain a pretty static thing.

But yes, I will look everything over again and see how I feel about it. Not trying to dissuade anyone else from anything, I just have to feel comfortable with it if I'm going to be involved, and I need to make sure I have the time to do it justice. My web design skills are not leet or anything. I know some html and css, but that's it. Nothing fancy. Enough that I have a decent looking web portfolio.

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #263 on: December 14, 2012, 03:57:36 AM »
"I'm pondering another splash page idea."

Hey, go to town, Vy. You're good at this.

Quinch

« Reply #264 on: December 14, 2012, 04:37:35 AM »
There is, as long as you didn't delete your CoX client files.  Thank the MIGHTY Codewalker

http://repo.cohtitan.com/icon/icon.exe

Wow. Just wow.

Anyway. Someone mentioned Colbert's "Tek Jansen" character a little bit back, so I took the liberty of recreating him in Icon. It might be improved - reference material for his costume is a little... varying, so someone with a better sense of fashion than me would probably do a better job of it. I doubt having a replica of him would hurt - heck, if someone has good-looking demo of a Dual Pistols blaster in action, maybe they can even insert him and record it?

Just throwing out ideas.

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #265 on: December 14, 2012, 06:34:59 AM »
I don't know anything about "Tek Jansen," but anything to hook Mr. Colbert's interest.

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #266 on: December 14, 2012, 06:41:06 AM »
If anything could get his attention it's Tek Jansen.

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #267 on: December 14, 2012, 02:21:35 PM »
Ok so yeah, after looking at the page, I feel much better about it now. Nice return to sanity, y'all.  ;D I still don't want to work on it during the Colbert thing just because I still have no clue as to what would appeal to him. (Which is kind of a shame because it sounds like if I had cable, I'd really like the show) I don't want to mess up our chances by designing it wrong. I can change it/ maintain it after if you want though. I'm hoping the site isn't all wysiwyg, and there's somewhere I can code it if I need to, but that's not like mega important or anything.

So yeah, nice site. I can help maintain it if you want.

Also, I saw some concerns about jpeg artifacting... Photoshop has some decent filters to help remove jpeg artifacts. Another tip, if you are saving the image as a jpeg over and over as you work, you will make the artifacts worse and worse. It's better to work with it as a psd file or if you are not using Photoshop, save it as an uncompressed tif as you are working with it, then convert it to jpeg after.

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #268 on: December 14, 2012, 02:41:40 PM »
It has been brought to my attention that my communication skills are sorely lacking. I have done my best to do what is right here in the forum and in PM and apparently either things are being read into what I am typing on a screen or I am just a very poor communicator. I think some of both and perhaps more of the latter.

I'm getting the server setup for a secondary admin login to this specific website and I'll be happy to help along whoever would like to take over. I think I have become more of a hindrance than a benefit at this point and this is much more important than one goofball behind a keyboard like me. Keep up the great work and let me know who would like to take up the updates. It is a VERY simple to use interface - it is all web based - you need no software - and you'll find out how the 'big boys' churn out about 20% of their small-steady-income sites so fast ;)

Take care,
Manny

I haven't dug to look into whatever this brouha is about, but I don't think your communication skills are lacking.  It's challenging to write about something one cares about passionately, even especially difficult perhaps to "put it out there" to others who feel equally passionate.   (One  thing the forums demonstrate is a vast range of emotional reactions to CoH Sunset.)  From one goofball behind a keyboard to another, I wish you the very best, Manny.
Take care,
John
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #269 on: December 14, 2012, 03:23:39 PM »
I also haven't noticed any issues, but I also haven't read the last six or so pages.

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #270 on: December 14, 2012, 05:44:30 PM »
Another tip, if you are saving the image as a jpeg over and over as you work, you will make the artifacts worse and worse."

Yup, I switched 'em to bmps while I was working. If anyone cares to try a filter, feel free.. My efforts haven't been useable.

"I haven't dug to look into whatever this brouha is about...."

All's been settled on my "difficult" thread. I'd as soon this one got deleted. We've already removed our old drafts anyway.

"Nice return to sanity, y'all."

I still miss Mr. Angry Asian. He was funny.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #271 on: December 14, 2012, 05:55:22 PM »
Unfortunately Angry wasn't public domain.   Kim can't object because he IS the face of NCSoft.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #272 on: December 14, 2012, 07:48:12 PM »
Unfortunately Angry wasn't public domain.   Kim can't object because he IS the face of NCSoft.
He was indeed hilarious, though.  Not sure who he is - if he's like a comedian or something, I'd check out his shows.

However, I was (and still am) advocating showing evil Kim Taek-Jin smashing our home, and that's what we seem to have now - thought the current pic is a bit busy/crowded, but that's being looked into by various people here.  And yes, he's the CEO, which is certainly a public figure, so he doesn't get to object.

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #273 on: December 14, 2012, 09:13:44 PM »
It was Psy, wasn't it?

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #274 on: December 14, 2012, 09:21:38 PM »
It was Psy, wasn't it?
If it was, he does "Angry!" hilariously well.   :)

Mandrake

• Boss
« Reply #275 on: December 15, 2012, 02:06:24 AM »
... - thought the current pic is a bit busy/crowded, but that's being looked into by various people here.  And yes, he's the CEO, which is certainly a public figure, so he doesn't get to object.

I think that just removing the fireballs would probably do it. I like the idea but is is too much to see the 'bigger picture'. I know that when switching frames like this is setup, your eyes zero in - first to center - then to focal object. With so many perfectly designed / high resolution objects all around - there is no time to take in the overall picture.

Whatever the end picture is - I think it would be better to have the focus be on Kim (and what/whoever immediately surrounding him), destroyed City Hall, and anything else should be subtle. Like the fallen Statesman is a good addition that is a 'secondary glance' addition. Your eyes would go there *after* looking at the larger and more pronounced 'top of image' scene, and it adds to the information.

Just some thoughts anyway...

EDIT: Anyone have any feedback on the time between switching? I tried various ones. Enough time to read the header before 'clicking here' and it still switch so people will see it, but long enough for people to actually see the images. Want it to be longer? Shorter?

*Any* input on the website itself is welcome. Trust me, you won't hurt my feelings. I've had people simply cancel their contract on me before, only to have someone else buy up the same site thinking it was the greatest thing since php. :)

« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 02:12:47 AM by Krnl_Mandrake »

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #276 on: December 15, 2012, 02:09:05 AM »
I think that just removing the fireballs would probably do it. I like the idea but is is too much to see the 'bigger picture'. I know that when switching frames like this is setup, your eyes zero in - first to center - then to focal object. With so many perfectly designed / high resolution objects all around - there is no time to take in the overall picture.

Whatever the end picture is - I think it would be better to have the focus be on Kim (and what/whoever immediately surrounding him), destroyed City Hall, and anything else should be subtle. Like the fallen Statesman is a good addition that is a 'secondary glance' addition. Your eyes would go there *after* looking at the larger and more pronounced 'top of image' scene, and it adds to the information.

Just some thoughts anyway...

That matches Larry's two cents.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #277 on: December 15, 2012, 04:53:08 AM »
Upon some reflection, there's one thing I think we really need to add to the final picture, just so that it's unambiguous - a tag or label on Kim that reads "NCSoft CEO Kim Taek-Jin".  This should ensure that people don't think he's just some random guy.

Clearly identifying our enemy would be a good thing, I should think.

Roughtrade

• Boss
  • Sitting on a Cornflake
« Reply #278 on: December 15, 2012, 05:01:25 AM »
"We have to learn to let go of things in order to learn how to hold on to one another."
 ~ Sister Simone

We didn't get a Colbert Bump this year for Christmas, but if they chose to have a Nun who is brave enough to stand up to the Pope instead, I'm okay with that.

New shows start in January, we can always make another run at it.  In the meanwhile there's still lots to do and letters to write.

Thanks to everyone for your hard work and I hope we can find more places to target with your talents!

RT

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #279 on: December 15, 2012, 05:05:34 AM »
We didn't get a Colbert Bump this year for Christmas, but if they chose to have a Nun who is brave enough to stand up to the Pope instead, I'm okay with that.

New shows start in January, we can always make another run at it.  In the meanwhile there's still lots to do and letters to write.
Indeed, hard to argue that.  Well, more time for other letters and efforts, then.  Thanks for the update.  Should we take the existing site down for the time being, then?