Author Topic: Using BitTorrent (incl. magnet links) to share CoH media - why & how  (Read 3941 times)

Keiphy

• Underling
  • @Keiphy
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 07:53:55 PM by Keiphy »

Starsman

• Elite Boss
Re: Using bittorrent (incl. magnet links) to share CoH media - why & how
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 05:19:52 PM »
I just want to make this one quick post to highlight one tiny bit of yours, because I know many will skip everything with a "TLDR bitorrent is illegal!"

Bittorrent is not illegal! Its just a file transfer protocol. Blizzard even uses it to distribute it's own WoW patches more efficiently. As long as you are not downloading illegal movies (or any other copyright stuff) Bittorrent is 100% legal! (The fact that is legal is the reason it has not been blocked by every ISP)

If you skipped the above post thinking that, now go back and read Keiphy's post!  ;D

@Keipy: to make your post easier to read, you may want to bold out every question keeping the answers in normal type. Otherwise, great post!
For the sake of the community: please stop the cultural "research" in your attempt to put blame on the game's cancelation.

It's sickening to see the community sink that low. It's worse to see the community does not get it.

I'm signing off and taking a break, blindly hope things change.

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 05:27:34 PM »
Bittorrent is not illegal! Its just a file transfer protocol. Blizzard even uses it to distribute it's own WoW patches more efficiently. As long as you are not downloading illegal movies (or any other copyright stuff) Bittorrent is 100% legal! (The fact that is legal is the reason it has not been blocked by every ISP)
Thank you. I feel that this often isn't emphasized enough.
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/

Keiphy

• Underling
  • @Keiphy
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 07:56:59 PM »
I just want to make this one quick post to highlight one tiny bit of yours, because I know many will skip everything with a "TLDR bitorrent is illegal!"

If you skipped the above post thinking that, now go back and read Keiphy's post!  ;D

@Keipy: to make your post easier to read, you may want to bold out every question keeping the answers in normal type. Otherwise, great post!

That's some very good points, thank you ;)

I'm somewhat tempted to rant properly about how it is a great protocol, but that would most likely induce TLDR a lot ;D

Just edited it a good bit, it feels better now - if you got any other ideas to improve it, please share them :D