Author Topic: F2P or Gold?  (Read 4273 times)

RubiconX

• Underling
F2P or Gold?
« on: December 08, 2012, 06:08:35 PM »
So now that I'm understanding CO a bit more and actually liking it (the tutorial was so awful I was just going to give up) I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on wether it's worth it to pay for the Gold membership or just stick with the F2P (silver) and buy things as needed?

In CoH it was such a huge difference and you could clearly tell if it was worth it or not, I also liked that you got points each month to spend as you see fit in the market. With CO I'm not 100% if the Gold is worth it or not, interested in hearing what others have found out.

Thanks in advance.

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
Re: F2P or Gold?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 06:28:11 PM »
I popped for gold so I could do a free-form character, but I dunno if I will keep it.
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/

JRVthatsME

• Lieutenant
  • When times are hard, take a stand and dont give up
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 07:32:02 PM »
Something I was just thinking today, and i'm certain its not as straight forward as my train of thought was going. Just suppose if we could make some kind of arrangement with Cryptic that a large number of us would subscribe to pay for gold accounts and in exchange Cryptic would hire currently unimployed members of the Paragon Studios staff (relative to how many of us purchase gold accounts) to work for them on Champions Online and improve the game content. I think if this were possible to come about we'd get some more of the quality game content we've enjoyed, Paragon staff will get new jobs, and the quality of the game will start improving a good deal which other players would also like and more players will be attracted to the game thus likely earning Cryptic more money.

I know this is only a hypothetical idea but if it could be arranged everyone could benefit and some things could even be set right to a degree. I've seen mention that there are only about 2 or three devs working on Champions Online at present so it might at least be concievable.

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 12:16:55 AM »
Basically, stick with F2P for a little.  If you find yourself limited after a couple months, consider going Gold.

Then ask yourself if the game's going to be around for 2 years or so and make a decision between monthly/quarterly/annual/Lifetime.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 02:48:59 AM »
You get monthly points in ChO when you subscribe as well.  Personally, I can barely tolerate the number of slots one gets with a subscription much less the limited number one gets for free, and I gotta have the freeform characters, so a sub is the only way to go for me.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 03:07:22 AM »
I wouldn't even play the game if it wasn't for the Freeform option, which requires Gold or A LOT of actual money.  So I say go with Gold. 

faith.grins

• Boss
  • Split your lungs with blood and thunder.
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 05:53:48 AM »
Things of note for Free vs. Subscription:

1)  Archetypes vs. Freeform.  This is a very in-depth topic, but the big take away is that if you refuse to pay a single dime to Cryptic, you're stuck picking from about 10 different builds.  Those are fixed, rigid builds, with a minimum of choice in terms of powers, team roles, and ability to specialize.  Gold members can play any of the archetypes without paying extra for them if you find Freeform a little daunting.  (I don't currently know if you get to keep playing archetypes if you lose Gold status, although the documentation I've read seems to imply that you do.  That seems reasonable given that the subscription fee is higher than the cost of unlocking an archetype.)

2)  Character Slots.  I don't remember the exact number, but you get like 6 to 8 character slots as a Gold member versus the 2 you get for free.  In addition, if you're a Gold member and you get a character to level 40, you get a new character slot for free.  So as long as you're a subscriber, you can't fill your slots without going alt-crazy.  (That's small consolation for some of us, but it's there.)

3)  "Free" Zen.  Just like you got some Paragon Points for being a subscriber in CoH, you get a supplementary supply of Zen each month.  It's not huge, but it's enough to Total Retcon a character or get a costume unlock or two.

4)  Locked Content.  I haven't run into any content that's available to Gold Players but not to Silver Players yet, but that may be more out of elegant design than a lack of Gold content.  That being said, when new Comic Series content (think Signature Story Arcs) are released, they stay Gold-only for a while.  There's also some end-game content not open to Silver players, although I haven't hit level 40 yet so I can't comment on what's there and what isn't and what you'd be missing.

Points 1 and 2 are the big ones, in my opinion.  Freeform characters (or even just some of the premium archetypes) are way more interesting than the strictly-free stuff, and I think I only know four gamers ever who could be perfectly happy with two character slots forever.  Having said all that, there's an in-game currency called Questionite which you can collect doing various daily tasks which you're allowed to trade for Zen, albiet at a steep rate.  (Currently, 200 Questionite gets you 1 zen, which is equal to one penny.  Players set that rate, by the way, it's a market, not a vendor.)  You're capped to "refining" 8,000 Questionite per day, even if you can manage to earn more, but A)  that's per character and B) I've never actually hit the daily cap anyway.  It takes a while to get enough of the stuff to trade for enough Zen to purchase something like a character slot or a new Archetype, but it can be done with patience.  (Like, if you hit the refinement cap on two characters every day, which would take several hours at best, it would still take you two full weeks to get enough Zen to purchase 2 new character slots.  In reality, that's more likely to take a month or two.

So, yeah, it's either put in time, or put in money, or be happy with a bare-bones game and some cool people to play it with.  Pick one.
Aram:  "Man, just look at all this.  Sometimes it's hard to believe that we get to live surrounded by such wonder."
Gamal:  "We don't live over there." Aram:  "We don't?"
Gamal:  "No.  We live over there." Aram:  "... But it's all on fire."
Gamal:  "Yes it is, Aram.  Yes it is."

thunderforce

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 01:10:32 PM »
So now that I'm understanding CO a bit more and actually liking it (the tutorial was so awful I was just going to give up)

In all fairness, remember Outbreak? Did they ever fix the way the explanation of how enemies conned to you was utterly mystifying?

RubiconX

• Underling
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 03:51:00 PM »
All the info has been very helpful. I'm very interested in the freeform stuff and coupled with some of the other things you get with the Gold sub, like more slots, I think that's the way to go. It looks like a freeform slot alone is roughly $50 if you don't get the Gold plus adding on more slots etc, it's definitely worth the money there.

I'm starting to enjoy the game more and more, I think the initial impression through the tutorial was skewed by my anger about CoH closing and CO still going but now after some time playing it's pretty good. There's even things I prefer over CoH!

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 03:06:48 AM »
I figured that I'd pop for Gold for a month, just to see if it was any better, since a lot of people have been saying it was good, given a chance. The goofy thing is, now I can't log in with the two "Silver" characters, so I really only seem to have 6 slots. I'm more than a little irritated by that, but I'm only a couple of days into it.

I may have played a total of 6 hours, since I have finals, tomorrow. I figure I'll stress test it like a beta test for a month, then pay for a different game for a month.  We'll see.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Ezuka

• Minion
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 03:46:44 AM »
I figured that I'd pop for Gold for a month, just to see if it was any better, since a lot of people have been saying it was good, given a chance. The goofy thing is, now I can't log in with the two "Silver" characters, so I really only seem to have 6 slots. I'm more than a little irritated by that, but I'm only a couple of days into it.

I may have played a total of 6 hours, since I have finals, tomorrow. I figure I'll stress test it like a beta test for a month, then pay for a different game for a month.  We'll see.

Click on the silver character, and then there's some option to turn it into a gold character. It's at the right. It'll have the zen symbol next to it, but it's free. I can't exactly remember what it's called though.

Edit: It's convert. Right under delete and rename.

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 05:59:22 PM »
Just remember, once you convert to a Gold character, you can't down-convert it again (IIRC).  So your option, if falling back to Silver, would be "Delete and reroll"

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 10:43:59 PM »
I'll keep them Silver, then, until I decide whether I'm going to stick with it. They are the first two builds I finally got that I actually liked. :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

RubiconX

• Underling
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2012, 11:52:56 PM »
Found this on the CO FAQ site about gold to silver:

Q If I decide to downgrade from Gold to Silver, what happens to all my stuff?
Characters will remain when switching from Gold to Silver. However, players will not be able to play them until either they re-upgrade to Gold or convert them individually into Silver characters in-game. Please note that we never delete character data. If a Gold Member cancels his or her subscription and decides to restart it at a later date, all of that Member's characters and associated items will be intact.

0nehanklap

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 12:16:58 AM »
That is correct, and the hook.  If you start with Gold, & make either a freeform or one of the extra AT toons, then unsub, those toons lock out until you purchase them, also any extra slots above the 2 basic are locked unless you pay for them... As far as slots for the extra silver ATs though, if you want extras, just open an extra acct for 2 more slots.

If you start with silver, learn the ropes, then you can go gold later to get additional slots & option for new toons without any loss.