Author Topic: Basic discussion for starting to play in CO compared to CoH  (Read 11595 times)

pinballdave

• Elite Boss
  • I am the player formerly known as Psylenz
Basic discussion for starting to play in CO compared to CoH
« on: December 08, 2012, 10:07:38 PM »
My biggest difficulty in migrating to CO appears to be CoH was my first and so far ONLY MMORPG. I can't get into CO, something is so very deficient. I don't even understand the basic differences in game play. I was used to overlooking the in-game help in CoH. I didn't know what I would be missing in CO.

Somebody said blocking. Is CO more like mortal combat or a PC game?

I don't know what to look for as in-game clues. No way points, and all that chatter that means so little out of context.

Vasarto

• Boss
Re: Basic discussion for starting to play in CO compared to CoH
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 10:13:52 PM »
I tried playing it and discovered three really big diffrences I hated about CO.

1. Costumes SUCK GIANT SWEATY HAIRY BALLS!  - Seriously they do! Each class is nothing more than a Specific character. I am suprised that you are not Forced into having a certain name for your character since all of your powers cannot be changed or picked. You MUST have a katana if you are melee and nothing you do can change that.

2, Costumes suck and make you feel like you are playing every other character out there. - I cannot....NOT have a hood which makes it impossible to see what my hair or face looks like.

3. Some player of about 20 levels challenged me to a dual the moment when I entered the game.......yeah....In CO you have to deal with that sort of thing which I hate.

I actually like DCU a LOT more than CO.

pinballdave

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 10:17:01 PM »
Specifically DCUO was so much like the playstation games with combos and crap to remember to get things to work. I didn't last through the tutorial.

JRVthatsME

• Lieutenant
  • When times are hard, take a stand and dont give up
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 10:20:26 PM »
Have a read over the section  of my guide on Chat, Emotes & Social to find out how to get in contact with your fellow CoH players in CO. You can make your own chat tab by right clicking on a chat tab above your chat window. I made one that only allows supergroup, friends, tells and the custom chat channel for CoH players CoX to display so I dont have to see all the unwanted chatter when I dont want to. I'm guessing your playing an Archetype so it might be a good idea to ask if there are any other CoH players using the same archetype that can guide you through getting the hang of it in game.

Ezuka

• Minion
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 10:20:51 PM »
Specifically DCUO was so much like the playstation games with combos and crap to remember to get things to work. I didn't last through the tutorial.

Ha, I quit immediately after the tutorial.

JRVthatsME

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 10:31:14 PM »
See if you can find the Archetype you are playing among these video reviews of CO Archetypes

Epelesker

• Boss
  • One fix at a time!
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 10:33:33 PM »
OK, here come some answers.

1. CO's battle system is basically a middle ground between CoH's and DCUO's combat. Blocking is important because all initiated attacks will hit for some kind of damage (there is no miss).

2. There can be a small amount of variance between the same classes of AT characters because of the two power choice points and the fact that you can assign different Advantages and Specializations. The costumes used to represent the archetypes are just a basis: you can change them to whatever you want.

3. If you're playing unsubscribed, the costume creator is limited until your first character reaches Lv10 (this is PWE's design and not Cryptic's, by the way).

4. You can find a setting in your Options to turn off duelling if you don't want to get involved with it.

pinballdave

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 10:34:56 PM »
I am not sure what you mean. I picked a guy that looked like an elf, has eldritch bolts, another set of powers I dont get until level 35 and his AT is some french word that starts with a G.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 10:36:01 PM »
I tried playing it and discovered three really big diffrences I hated about CO.

1. Costumes SUCK GIANT SWEATY HAIRY BALLS!  - Seriously they do! Each class is nothing more than a Specific character. I am suprised that you are not Forced into having a certain name for your character since all of your powers cannot be changed or picked. You MUST have a katana if you are melee and nothing you do can change that.

Those are Archetypes, pre-made character builds, not "Costumes".  If you want to select all your powers, you have to subscribe and take a Freeform character (or buy a single Freeform character slot for $50, but I wouldn't recommend that), though even the Archetypes have a few levels where they can choose between two powers, and they can still choose their talents and specializations.

In other words, no, you don't have to have a katana if you are melee.  Even free players have the choice between The Behemoth (which uses powers from the Might framework), the Blade (which uses Single Blade framework powers), and the Unleashed (which uses Dual Blade framework powers); and subscribed players also have access to Unarmed, Fighting Claws, Heavy Weapon, and even Bestial Supernatural.  And even though they're primarily ranged frameworks, Telekinesis has a few psi-blade attacks, Gadgeering has a chainsaw, and Power Armor has a laser sword.

And they are customizable.  In fact, the "Blade" powers don't even have to be a blade, let alone a katana.  Axes and cudgels are alternate models.  See here: http://champions-online-wiki.com/wiki/Dual_%26_Single_Blades

2, Costumes suck and make you feel like you are playing every other character out there. - I cannot....NOT have a hood which makes it impossible to see what my hair or face looks like.

... you can take off the hood.  In fact, if it's your first character, I'm not sure how you can even put on a hood (since costume choices are limited until you get any character to level 10; after that, that and all future characters have a much wider selection of costume pieces available).  The game has an extremely robust character creator once you get past that Level 10 gate.

Hit "Random" to get rid of the hood, and play with the options.  (What isn't immediately obvious is that you can click on the "header" of each section, and it turns into a dropdown menu where you can pick more options. I had that problem at first, too)

3. Some player of about 20 levels challenged me to a dual the moment when I entered the game.......yeah....In CO you have to deal with that sort of thing which I hate.

I've only been challenged twice, and both times I just hit "No" and they didn't press the issue.  (... but they can be turned off?  Nice.  I didn't realize)

I actually like DCU a LOT more than CO.

To each his own, I suppose, but it sounds like you're hating CO for mostly non-existent reasons.

Edited to also reply to:

I am not sure what you mean. I picked a guy that looked like an elf, has eldritch bolts, another set of powers I dont get until level 35 and his AT is some french word that starts with a G.

... "Grimoire"? While that word has French origins, it's been part of the English language for approximately 300 years now.

And you can change him so he doesn't look like an elf.  That's just the default costume.  None of the default costumes have to be kept, any more than the random costumes that popped up when you made a new CoH character have to be kept.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 10:48:58 PM by Thunder Glove »

Epelesker

• Boss
  • One fix at a time!
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 10:43:28 PM »
I think Vas is saying he wants to have a hood. Which, if he would check the options of the character creator a little more, he would be able to find:

Vasarto

• Boss
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 10:48:11 PM »
Well maybe I will keep playing until level 10 but so far I am not impressed with it much yet.

Or maybe I will just go play d3 or something lol.

pinballdave

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2012, 10:50:57 PM »
Grimoire? It's French in origin. I never heard it until 3 days ago when I rolled my Dark/Storm Corruptor :P I just feel dumb. It must be a D&D term, not discussed in circles I am acquainted with.

Epelesker

• Boss
  • One fix at a time!
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2012, 10:55:01 PM »
You can change him so he doesn't look like an elf.  That's just the default costume.  None of the default costumes have to be kept, any more than the random costumes that popped up when you made a new CoH character have to be kept.
Requoted for emphasis. There's a Default button somewhere on the bottom left/center.

JRVthatsME

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2012, 10:56:08 PM »

pinballdave

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2012, 10:59:20 PM »
I fiddled with the costume creator, was pretty happy with that. So much is to be absorbed. I know; learn to play. It seems so much less intuitive - again that's the problem with CoH being first and only, any SECOND mmo is going to seem so foreign.

At first I couldn't tell which direction the pointer arrow was pointing.

JRVthatsME

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2012, 11:06:50 PM »
If you are playing the Grimoire Archetype there is a video review of it here and we have a detailed guide to it here thanks to faith.grins

blackjak

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2012, 11:10:02 PM »
The biggest problems I have had are the starting Archetypes are stiffling, the locked out costume bits at the start (which you get really fast actually), the lack of communication on team-ups (click and join a 'team' that just runs around hitting stuff silently), really confusing and busy areas (both people wise and floaty arrows/bubbles/things wise), somewhat bad instructions (getting better....), bit clunky chat and last, but not least, a real Mac client like COH had. I cannot get my detail settings to stick for some reason...
I have, however, ran into quite a few COH refugees and am feeling a bit better about it now. Wish free came with more costume slots...
Virtue: Moonsun, Dynamo Jr., Crimson Fury, Sabre Kat, Double Sixxes, Quantum Stranger, Mystic Kirin, Pink.Eye Champion: Blackjak, Redwing Blackbird Justice: Shield Marshal Guardian: White Talon Triumph: Gosuto Union: Stellar Girl

JRVthatsME

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2012, 11:45:06 PM »
When you stick with CoH players or other players who enjoy the same kinda interaction during gaming as we do you'll have more fun in teams. What's popular among many CoH players are the repeatable story arcs (Resistance, Demonflame, Serpent Lantern, Aftershock, Whiteout) as the have better atmosphere and story content and are not something that rushed through so allow more time for chat and RP. Click here to find out about each one.

pinballdave

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2012, 11:50:42 PM »
Random questions:

1. Does my character have just one speed?
2. Why when I pick up a crate, when prompted, there is no crate?
3. Are there instanced missions?
4. Are there power combos like  1,1, 2 is better than 1, 2, 1.?
5. I don't understand building energy, is that like power up or like increase endurance/energy?
6. I can't seem to get help on the map to prompt where objectives are, but there are other things that don't relate to anything I understand on the map.

I will think of more.

Epelesker

• Boss
  • One fix at a time!
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2012, 12:01:52 AM »
Random questions:

1. Does my character have just one speed?
2. Why when I pick up a crate, when prompted, there is no crate?
3. Are there instanced missions?
4. Are there power combos like  1,1, 2 is better than 1, 2, 1.?
5. I don't understand building energy, is that like power up or like increase endurance/energy?
6. I can't seem to get help on the map to prompt where objectives are, but there are other things that don't relate to anything I understand on the map.

I will think of more.
1. There's default running speed and a key that's bound for walking. In terms of travel powers, tapping to activate causes the speed to build up over time, while holding it down charges the power to activate at full speed when completed.
2. This is a known bug that's been around for a while. Keep in mind while the object seems to disappear, you can still attack with it or throw.
3. Yes, there are.
4. This depends on your powers and how you have them set up in your tray, really, but I can't give a good example right now.
5. Your Energy bar is like a combination of Endurance and Momentum. You have to use your Energy Builder power (default bind to 1) to not only attack the opponent, but it also stores energy so you can use more powerful attacks. You can select a setting in Options to change how your energy builder is activated, either by a toggle or holding down the button.
6. Easiest way to do this is to double click your task list on the UI and you'll be opened to a window that has another list sorted by area. Select a mission from that and look for a "set primary" button.

As for the arrow, if you have trouble seeing where to go, check to see if it looks like a diamond when the camera is right behind you.