Author Topic: What's a Unicorn...lol  (Read 30977 times)

A Cyclops named Steve

• Lieutenant
  • Steropes Freedom
What's a Unicorn...lol
« on: December 08, 2012, 10:36:06 PM »
Ok so in the announcements there is a thread about auto-censoring and the 5 year old in me is currently fighting hard to come out and figure out what those auto-censored words are ;D
.                              Come with me and you'll be in a world of pure imagination. Take a look and you'll see into your imagination.

We'll begin with a spin, traveling in the world of my creation. What we'll see will defy explanation.

If you want to view paradise simply look around and view it. Anything you want to, do it. Wanta change the world? There's nothing To it.

Merseine

• Boss
Re: What's a Unicorn...lol
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 10:40:02 PM »
The 5 year old inside of me is ready to dare you to type lots and lots of different bad words to see what comes out. 

But then the responsible adult in me says that no, you shouldn't do that...I mean, really. We're all adults here, right?

You get to choose who to listen to.   8)
/em holdtorch

A Cyclops named Steve

• Lieutenant
  • Steropes Freedom
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 10:56:24 PM »
The 5 year old inside of me is ready to dare you to type lots and lots of different bad words to see what comes out. 

But then the responsible adult in me says that no, you shouldn't do that...I mean, really. We're all adults here, right?

I plead the 5th on being a responsible adult!! So have you ever seen the movie unicorn?

*edit* the five year old in me is rolling in delight right now over that one!!!
.                              Come with me and you'll be in a world of pure imagination. Take a look and you'll see into your imagination.

We'll begin with a spin, traveling in the world of my creation. What we'll see will defy explanation.

If you want to view paradise simply look around and view it. Anything you want to, do it. Wanta change the world? There's nothing To it.

Merseine

• Boss
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 10:58:24 PM »
I plead the 5th on being a responsible adult!! So have you ever seen the movie unicorn?

*edit* the five year old in me is rolling in delight right now over that one!!!

LOL!  You found out one, did you?
/em holdtorch

A Cyclops named Steve

• Lieutenant
  • Steropes Freedom
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 11:07:40 PM »
LOL!  You found out one, did you?

Dear Mods please don't  get ban hammer out :gonk: I promise to behave myself! :)

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 11:09:20 PM »
For what it's worth, there's a HUGE list of bad words in the pigg files.

It was for the game to decide what bad words were blocked in player names, or in-game chat.

I won't be posting it, or excerpts from it though, of course.

;)
I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go
Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder

Waiting for an invitation to arrive
Goin' to a party where no one's still alive

A Cyclops named Steve

• Lieutenant
  • Steropes Freedom
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 11:33:44 PM »
For what it's worth, there's a HUGE list of bad words in the pigg files.

It was for the game to decide what bad words were blocked in player names, or in-game chat.

I won't be posting it, or excerpts from it though, of course.

;)

lol!! yeah I'm not going to try to figure out what the banned words are but that 5 yr old in their superman underoos wouldn't be ignored at least that one time ;D

Xieveral

• Chaotic Neutral
  • Boss
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 11:35:45 PM »
You can test out what's censored by previewing your post...

To my knowledge only the term for humanoid creatures that dwell under bridges and start trouble on the internet is censored.

But I have yet to experiment with the more "colorful" words
?RSN = CKN(CRS.ROD)

RSN = GLR(EMP.MCL)

A Cyclops named Steve

• Lieutenant
  • Steropes Freedom
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 11:41:19 PM »
You can test out what's censored by previewing your post...

To my knowledge only the term for humanoid creatures that dwell under bridges and start trouble on the internet is censored.

But I have yet to experiment with the more "colorful" words

Lol! TBH I tried that one word because I knew for sure it would change ;)

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 12:33:13 AM »
Dear Mods please don't  get ban hammer out :gonk: I promise to behave myself! :)

;)
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Nos482

• Elite Boss
  • We've gone and done the greatest crime...
    • My PSN profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2012, 01:28:41 AM »
I remember when they started to use pancake on the official forums and my inner 5 year old started to stir.

Didn't take too long till I got the mod-warning for that :P
I'm bad and that's good.
I'll never be good and that's not bad.
There's no one I'd rather be than me.

...unless I could be Batman, of course. Everybody wants to be Batman.

A Cyclops named Steve

• Lieutenant
  • Steropes Freedom
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2012, 01:43:42 AM »

;)

thank you kind sir!! I shall be on my best behavior girl sco...errr...boy scou...ummmm....cyclops honor! ;)

Vasarto

• Boss
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2012, 01:50:26 AM »

yeah! We all wanna go and say bad words because its hip and cool for adults to do.
Also bow ties...because bow ties are cool.

pyber

• Minion
  • Das Hamster
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2012, 02:52:22 AM »
Also bow ties...because bow ties are cool.

"From my big beautiful warlock brain, welcome to 'Sheen's Korner' ... You're either in my corner, or you're with the trolls."

faith.grins

• Boss
  • Split your lungs with blood and thunder.
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2012, 04:18:40 AM »
Is that a hard filter, or is it a mechanism of the forums I can turn off?  It's cute and all, but I'm an adult, and I use the language I do because I believe words shape how we think.  And if we're afraid to use certain words because we've placed a heavier emphasis on them, and we go to lengths to actually censor those words, what we're basically saying is that we're ashamed of ourselves.

Now don't get me wrong, I believe shame is healthy in certain quantities.  But it shouldn't be as pervasive as the taboo on certain words is.
Aram:  "Man, just look at all this.  Sometimes it's hard to believe that we get to live surrounded by such wonder."
Gamal:  "We don't live over there." Aram:  "We don't?"
Gamal:  "No.  We live over there." Aram:  "... But it's all on fire."
Gamal:  "Yes it is, Aram.  Yes it is."

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2012, 04:32:12 AM »
Is that a hard filter, or is it a mechanism of the forums I can turn off?

Yes it's a hard filter, and no, there's no way you can turn it off.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2012, 04:44:04 AM »
Is that a hard filter, or is it a mechanism of the forums I can turn off?

I hope it can't be turned off, honestly. Profanity filters aren't meant for people who use profanity occasionally or maturely, it's meant as an action against people who don't care what impression they make on others, or don't wish to engage in the courtesy of self-moderation. And I know the T-word itself isn't profanity, but it IS the sort of hot-button term that immature people like to throw around, which is the same reason actual profanity is a problem in the first place. It comes down to respect for the people around you, and filters like this are intended to help shield others from the kind of people who don't have that respect.

Whoa... that got deep with no warning. yikes :o

faith.grins

• Boss
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2012, 05:16:30 AM »
I meant "turn off" more in the sense of how the profanity filters in video games work:  if you leave it on, it filters certain words on your end, and only on your end.  Everyone else gets to see what was spoken.  I don't think I've ever used language here that got caught by the filter because I'm mindful of the fact that this is a PG community.  That's self-imposed, of course, but I think it's a bad sign for a community if you can't trust its members to respect its boundaries.

-shrug-
Whatever.  I fully subscribe to the George Carlin/Lewis Black school of thought when it comes to profanity, but if I need to keep it PG to keep hanging around here, I will.
Aram:  "Man, just look at all this.  Sometimes it's hard to believe that we get to live surrounded by such wonder."

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2012, 06:32:54 AM »
I meant "turn off" more in the sense of how the profanity filters in video games work:  if you leave it on, it filters certain words on your end, and only on your end.  Everyone else gets to see what was spoken.  I don't think I've ever used language here that got caught by the filter because I'm mindful of the fact that this is a PG community.  That's self-imposed, of course, but I think it's a bad sign for a community if you can't trust its members to respect its boundaries.

Ahhh okay, I misread the part about just turning it on/off on your own end. That'd be better, sure. And I certainly wasn't speaking about you or anyone else personally, I hope you didn't think that.

... I was going to say more, but I think we're both saying the same thing in different ways anyway, and I was just reading it wrong due to tiredness, hehe :)

faith.grins

• Boss
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2012, 06:47:33 AM »
Well, I understand it's probably much easier to code that sort of thing for a client that already has to interpret data from a server on an individual basis than it is for a website.  And given everything else the Titan Network is doing for us, I'm not gonna complain that I can't curse.  But I do think the discussion of profanity and censorship is an interesting one, and a good one to have as a community, especially a community that has to live within certain rules imposed upon us.

For example, I know that my brother and my little sister swear, but I can count on my hands the number of times I've heard them swear.  That has to do with the fact that our parents disapprove of "strong language" and that our shared social context is informed almost entirely by our parents and little to do with our own personal preferences of language.  We each have a "family mode" of discussion in which the profanity filter is checked, and we each enter "family mode" when we talk to each other, even if our parents aren't around.  I do a similar sort of thing when I'm playing video games and not on a selective channel - I don't completely censor myself, but I certainly turn it down.  In a way that's actually me selling out my ideals because I don't believe I should have to guard the way I talk, but I do it anyway because of certain social programming.  Does that make me a bad person?  I sure as hell don't know, but it's definitely part of what makes me ashamed of myself.

Edit:  Yes, this conversation took a sharp turn into Serious Lane.  Feel free to pull it back to Silly Parkway if you'd like.