Author Topic: What's a Unicorn...lol  (Read 30790 times)

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
Re: What's a Unicorn...lol
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2012, 12:16:32 AM »
In the Titan universe, unicorns are green-skinned bridge-lurkers.

And thus, vulnerable to Billy-Goats.
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/

Merseine

• Boss
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2012, 12:25:36 AM »
And thus, vulnerable to Billy-Goats.

Only if they're gruff....
/em holdtorch

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2012, 12:33:09 AM »
Regardless, it certainly could be our narwhal bacon. :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Samuel Tow

• Elite Boss
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2012, 12:03:32 PM »
OK, I've watched this thread go for three whole pages and I still don't know what anybody is talking about. I feel like this kitten, in essence. So could anyone please explain what you're talking about? What's wrong with Unicorns? What's that thing which "starts with a T and ends in a Y?" Titty? Taffy? Tony? I realise it's probably censored, but at least point me to somewhere that explains it because this whole thing just confuses the hell out of me.
Of all the things I've lost,
I think I miss my mind the most.

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2012, 12:28:57 PM »
OK, I've watched this thread go for three whole pages and I still don't know what anybody is talking about. I feel like this kitten, in essence. So could anyone please explain what you're talking about? What's wrong with Unicorns? What's that thing which "starts with a T and ends in a Y?" Titty? Taffy? Tony? I realise it's probably censored, but at least point me to somewhere that explains it because this whole thing just confuses the hell out of me.

I think the point of the entire thread (other than digressions into humor and silly) is that none of us want to be or be subjected to those persons who seem to thrive on negative attention.  I'm not sure about the letter "Y" but the term I've seen bandied is spelled: T - R - O - L - L though personally I'd rather do without the censorship and labeling.
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

Samuel Tow

• Elite Boss
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2012, 12:59:49 PM »
I think the point of the entire thread (other than digressions into humor and silly) is that none of us want to be or be subjected to those persons who seem to thrive on negative attention.  I'm not sure about the letter "Y" but the term I've seen bandied is spelled: T - R - O - L - L though personally I'd rather do without the censorship and labeling.

Oh... That's censored? Weird, but I can see it. OK, then where does "unicorn" come from? Is that like using "rooster" as a means to speak profanity without speaking it? And I don't know where I got the Y. I very likely misread someone's post, or possibly someone misspelled it. I'm sticking with the first option. I wouldn't have called THAT even if I'd read right, though.

As far as having that censored goes, I don't get it. Has it become a big "thing" around these boards that we've been calling each other that? It just seems weird to me to censor it. It feels like censoring "carebear" or "brony" or "noob" or some such. Yeah, OK, it can be used to insult, but I haven't found the Titan Network community to be particularly mean-spirited, and I haven't found the term to be used all that often. And really, all it says is "you're trying to make me angry on purpose" which explaining it really says just as much. I guess I could see it as an attempt to kill the shorthand and so make it too much of a pain for idiots to insult one another when they have to form complete statements, but...

Yeah, seems a bit weird to me.

*edit*
FFS! OK, now I know where the "unicorn thing" came from. I got caught in the filter :)
Of all the things I've lost,
I think I miss my mind the most.

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2012, 01:16:38 PM »
Oh... That's censored? Weird, but I can see it. OK, then where does "unicorn" come from? Is that like using "rooster" as a means to speak profanity without speaking it? And I don't know where I got the Y. I very likely misread someone's post, or possibly someone misspelled it. I'm sticking with the first option. I wouldn't have called THAT even if I'd read right, though.

As far as having that censored goes, I don't get it. Has it become a big "thing" around these boards that we've been calling each other that? It just seems weird to me to censor it. It feels like censoring "carebear" or "brony" or "noob" or some such. Yeah, OK, it can be used to insult, but I haven't found the Titan Network community to be particularly mean-spirited, and I haven't found the term to be used all that often. And really, all it says is "you're trying to make me angry on purpose" which explaining it really says just as much. I guess I could see it as an attempt to kill the shorthand and so make it too much of a pain for idiots to insult one another when they have to form complete statements, but...

Yeah, seems a bit weird to me.

*edit*
FFS! OK, now I know where the "unicorn thing" came from. I got caught in the filter :)

It's taken me time also to get accustomed to the lingo specific to Titan; e.g. "unicorn" or "pancake" (pancake in lieu of donkey flop or other expletives.)  I'm reminded of Humpty Dumpty's famous line about a word meaning " ...just what I choose it to mean... "
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2012, 01:42:47 PM »

LOL! Tell me then, because while I knew what word it was replacing, I'm unaware of the origin of that particular substitution.
... ^o^CORVUS^o^

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2012, 03:22:43 PM »
What I find funny is having to use euphemism when referring to a certain gang that primarily haunts the valleys of Skyway City. Even better was someone talking about their character on another game that was of a certain Rastafarian Horde race. I know it's impossible to filter based on context, but seeing someone talking about their Unicorn Shaman was funny. :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2012, 11:30:34 PM »
Long story short:  A couple of months back there were a few people that started very indiscriminately throwing the t-roll word around.  It was getting to the point where we couldn't get three posts into a thread without someone firing off that label, and most of the time, it really wasn't justified.

On a whim, Tony added a rule to the censorship filter.

While it quickly became a running gag, it seemed to do the trick.  Accusations of trolling dropped off almost immediately.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

A Cyclops named Steve

• Lieutenant
  • Steropes Freedom
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2012, 12:12:33 AM »
While it quickly became a running gag, it seemed to do the trick.  Accusations of trolling dropped off almost immediately.

Accusations of UNICORNING dropped off almost immediately. FTFY  ;)
.                              Come with me and you'll be in a world of pure imagination. Take a look and you'll see into your imagination.

We'll begin with a spin, traveling in the world of my creation. What we'll see will defy explanation.

If you want to view paradise simply look around and view it. Anything you want to, do it. Wanta change the world? There's nothing To it.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2012, 12:19:43 AM »
I thought about changing that, but then I figured I'd wait to see how long it took for someone to comment on it.  :)
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2012, 12:33:05 AM »

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2012, 12:43:12 AM »
So, the filter is off!?
Nope.  Filter is still on. It just wasn't taking one specific case into account. ;)
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

A Cyclops named Steve

• Lieutenant
  • Steropes Freedom
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2012, 01:00:03 AM »
I thought about changing that, but then I figured I'd wait to see how long it took for someone to comment on it.  :)

hee hee!!! yeah I am a real intelligent gluteus maximus  and couldn't resist the urge ;)
.                              Come with me and you'll be in a world of pure imagination. Take a look and you'll see into your imagination.

We'll begin with a spin, traveling in the world of my creation. What we'll see will defy explanation.

If you want to view paradise simply look around and view it. Anything you want to, do it. Wanta change the world? There's nothing To it.

faith.grins

• Boss
  • Split your lungs with blood and thunder.
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2012, 01:08:17 AM »
Is First Post After Red Post a thing here?  If not, it should be.
Aram:  "Man, just look at all this.  Sometimes it's hard to believe that we get to live surrounded by such wonder."
Gamal:  "We don't live over there." Aram:  "We don't?"
Gamal:  "No.  We live over there." Aram:  "... But it's all on fire."
Gamal:  "Yes it is, Aram.  Yes it is."

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2012, 02:02:51 AM »
I tried, once. It didn't take. :)

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2012, 09:29:44 PM »
That is a unicron:

Woops, sorry, wrong spelling.
Yeeessss....

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2012, 10:03:39 PM »
Funny story.

Years back, when the Transformers ARMADA line was on the shelves, their Unicron toy came out in one of the later waves. My wife got one for me at Wal-Mart.

On the receipt, it rang up as Unicorn :D
... ^o^CORVUS^o^

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2012, 04:23:11 AM »
Oh troll shit.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido