Author Topic: New set of forums for community.  (Read 3118 times)

Vasarto

• Boss
New set of forums for community.
« on: December 09, 2012, 01:26:11 AM »
Well it is just a thought but a lot of forums here that revolve around just our game and stuff and while we have a few other places for general things to go. Let's get some other specific topic forums going as well!

Here is some ideas I had for us

Community:
Nutrition, Health and Fitness

With a Sub Forum of Food and cooking where we can share our recipes and cooking tips and stuff like that.

Visual Arts - Non COH related art, videos and things you created yourself.

Science and Technology Forum! - The forum for all things science and technology related, including news and current events, help/troubleshooting threads, and general discussions about topics in the world of science and high tech!

Current Events - Discuss current events in the world including Politics, News, Sports etc.

I believe expanding on our community side and making a much larger impact on things that are not about "just" saving Coh" and its activities will give us a lot more appeal to new people as well as some staying power. Because sooner or later if we do not have "enough" different topics to talk about in between all of this than we may not be able to keep a lot of people.  Plus expanding our community discussions is always great anyways and Having these basic topics expands a large area of interest too!

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
Re: New set of forums for community.
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 04:31:46 PM »
Current Events - Discuss current events in the world including Politics, News, Sports etc.
Whatever you do, do not include a Politics board, or anywhere to discuss politics.  You will never get rid of the trolls, and you will be moderating it constantly forevermore.  Nowhere else can you see the full depths of human uncivility than in a political thread or forum section.  You can't "ask them to remain civil" because politicos are, by their nature, uncivil and will use whatever loopholes or lack of enforcement they can find to take shots at each other.

Kinda like politicos in real life.

I realize Politics are an important reality of life, but it's also the biggest game of he-said, she-said, back-and-forth bickering known to man.  As an ex-forum admin on another board, don't make the mistake my board made.

therain93

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 05:20:54 PM »
Whatever you do, do not include a Politics board, or anywhere to discuss politics.  You will never get rid of the unicorns, and you will be moderating it constantly forevermore.  Nowhere else can you see the full depths of human uncivility than in a political thread or forum section.  You can't "ask them to remain civil" because politicos are, by their nature, uncivil and will use whatever loopholes or lack of enforcement they can find to take shots at each other.

Kinda like politicos in real life.

I realize Politics are an important reality of life, but it's also the biggest game of he-said, she-said, back-and-forth bickering known to man.  As an ex-forum admin on another board, don't make the mistake my board made.
I would like to second this -- City of Heroes brings this community together, let's not introduce things that will most definitely divide it (that goes for religion too).
@Texarkana - March 5, 2004 - December 1, 2012 -- Imageshack |-| Youtube
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't know what it's like.... |-| Book One. Chapter one...

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 06:34:24 PM »
As someone who once tried to bring politics into a community that didnt have them in an effort to broaden a community (while still trapping the politics in a single board) I can say it is always a bad idea.

There are plenty of forums out there which are open to religious, and political discussion. I strongly support expressing and discussing ideas of all possible topics, but these are just bad to any community not built around them. I hate sounding reactionary and paranoid, but my experiences have shown time and time again that this always ends up with more pain and discomfort than anyone intends.

Its a good idea to put forward - don't think I'm insulting the idea or discouraging future suggestions. But this one -aspect- I do not believe has any chance to turn out positively.

That's part of the problem of bringing in News and Sports, too - moreso news tbh as most news carries with it a political scope but most people can be grownup about sports differences.
Woo! - Argent Girl

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 12:22:30 AM »
I appreciate the intent behind the suggestion, but I don't think we'll be adding any forums for anything controversial (politics, religion, etc.). It's pretty far beyond the scope of what Titan's about and it's likely to just cause division and strife.

As for some of the other kinds of topics, we do have a "General Discussion" forum that they can go in for now. If we start getting enough posts about some particular category/theme that it would would make sense to split them out into a subforum, we'll consider it. :)