Author Topic: The Secret World/Secret World Legends  (Read 156547 times)

Vee

• Elite Boss
Re: The Secret World
« Reply #340 on: November 22, 2016, 07:46:24 PM »
Base game is in today's Humble Bundle for 3 bucks and change for any interested. I'm torn on whether to install or not. Not sure I want to get involved in another MMO given my huge steam backlog.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #341 on: November 23, 2016, 11:17:27 PM »
Base game is in today's Humble Bundle for 3 bucks and change for any interested. I'm torn on whether to install or not. Not sure I want to get involved in another MMO given my huge steam backlog.
Sorry for the late reply, I would recommend getting it. That sounds like a very good price. :)
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #342 on: November 24, 2016, 12:26:25 AM »
I had bought it already, was torn on whether to install :P It's up to 4 and change now but the rest of the bundle is pretty nice too for those on the fence.

I did install and played for an hour or so. it's interesting so far but it doesn't draw you in with quick early character growth the way mmos usually do. i'm hoping it stays that way so i don't get out of control. I spent 6 months on swtor which i pretty much hated so I'm leery of playing one that might be good.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #343 on: March 29, 2017, 07:14:35 PM »
For those who play TSW or want to take a look at this https://secretworldlegends.com/news/letter_from_the_producer/

AmberOfDzu

• Boss
« Reply #344 on: March 29, 2017, 08:03:34 PM »
There's also a massivelyop story: http://massivelyop.com/2017/03/29/funcom-reboots-the-secret-world-as-secret-world-legends/

It does not sound like a good change to me. The real TSW will be in maintenance mode from here out.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #345 on: March 29, 2017, 08:40:02 PM »
I feel they are making a huge mistake, they are more or less willing to bet on their current player base and the losses from them will be out done by the new unguaranteed player base.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #346 on: March 29, 2017, 10:34:15 PM »
If the SWL content is just recycled content from TSW, I won't even bother trying SWL.

This from someone that bought all TSW content.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #347 on: March 30, 2017, 04:19:44 AM »
I liked the story stuff well enough but hated the progression system. Story didn't interest me enough to want to keep playing to unlock a few hundred more powers I won't be using, much less to roll more of the same for the other two faction stories. Got bogged down about halfway through illuminati egypt and haven't played in months. Now my story progress will be reset too? Noty.

ricodah

• Boss
« Reply #348 on: March 30, 2017, 06:22:05 AM »
That's too bad.  TSW became my home away from home (CoX).  Been on a break for the past few months but was going to return soon.  The thought of regrinding from nothing is enough to pass on SWL and knowing there will be no new content will stop me from continuing with TSW.  It just sounds like SWL is just TSW with a revamped combat system.  All the areas, scenarios, dungeons, raids are all the same.  It hardly warrants a whole "new" game.

Exxar

• Lieutenant
« Reply #349 on: March 31, 2017, 05:53:13 PM »
If I was a regular TSW player I would probably pissed to hell and back about this. But since I just played for a couple of months during the game's first year, I'm finding this quite appealing. I just hope the announced action combat won't be a DPS-fest dodging hell like in GW2.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #350 on: March 31, 2017, 06:12:48 PM »
I'm not pleased with what is essentially a character wipe.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #351 on: March 31, 2017, 06:39:19 PM »

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #352 on: March 31, 2017, 10:18:35 PM »
From what I read, controls are more shooterish in a similar manner, I guess, to the fps/rpg hybrid "Vampire Bloodlines" (left mouse fires gun/swings melee at enemy, right button was discipline use).

Or maybe DCUO, although with the ability to rebind to what you'd prefer.  Although an active button to dodge over double tapping a direction unreal style, hmmm, not sure about that.

Main weapon left button and secondary weapon right button and spell/power use with number keys?  I think I may show some interest, who knows it may actually be interesting.

TSW suffered from a gameplay issue and a tendency to leave me unsure where I had to go to make any progress after a point not to far into the game, I felt like I was effectively screwed over in that way.  Like was I supposed to just blindly wonder until I found a new lead fit for my level?  That and some of the quests requiring out-side-of-the-game knowledge to complete, in that if I had to use a web browser to figure out some clues I was left "Ok why don't I just use a spoiler guide for the whole quest instead of looking up some obscure bible reference?".  Such quests left me feeling they were trying to hard to be difficult but not really challenging me as I'd rather the game had the clues better telegraphed in-game more.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #353 on: April 06, 2017, 01:48:45 AM »
Their snazzy new Steam logo fooled me into firing it up today -  appears to be a lizard giving birth to a giant human head while a person discovers a blue cube in a tiny village which is also in the lizard's birth canal. Who wouldn't want to play such a game?

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #354 on: April 06, 2017, 01:56:40 AM »
Honestly, I might quit playing TSW, why because one, they are lowering the amount of players in the play field. This was the main reason on why I quit Guild Wars, I like seeing other players. The second reason is due to the reason they are getting rid of the tab option in favor of a reticle, where it is using the mouse to click to use a power.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #355 on: April 06, 2017, 05:35:41 PM »
Honestly, I might quit playing TSW, why because one, they are lowering the amount of players in the play field. This was the main reason on why I quit Guild Wars, I like seeing other players. The second reason is due to the reason they are getting rid of the tab option in favor of a reticle, where it is using the mouse to click to use a power.

Are you talking about TSW or SWL or both?

I was actually playing TSW this weekend.  It was a ghost town.  And not the good in-game kind either.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #356 on: April 07, 2017, 12:25:04 AM »
Are you talking about TSW or SWL or both?

I was actually playing TSW this weekend.  It was a ghost town.  And not the good in-game kind either.
I would say both, just as you described TSW is being abandoned by the players. And Funcom is putting all their faith in thinking new players will be clamoring to play Secret World Lite.

AmberOfDzu

• Boss
« Reply #357 on: April 07, 2017, 01:07:10 AM »
Osborne Effect?

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #358 on: April 07, 2017, 03:51:40 AM »
I think it has more to do with the character wipe.

If you knew your characters would transfer intact to the new game, you'd have no reason to quit playing.  You might even play more to maximize the rewards from a familiar system.

AmberOfDzu

• Boss
« Reply #359 on: April 07, 2017, 12:08:38 PM »
I think it has more to do with the character wipe.

If you knew your characters would transfer intact to the new game, you'd have no reason to quit playing.  You might even play more to maximize the rewards from a familiar system.
I think they've handled this pretty badly in communicating what they intended it to be. They said relaunch when they meant related new game, and they said transfer when they meant partial copy, and other problems, I'm sure.

It leads existing customers to feel things are being taken away, instead of being granted free perks in a new product due to their brand loyalty, which I think the company had hoped for. That anyone would describe this is a "character wipe" is a serious failure on the part of their communications team.

I wonder why they didn't try to differentiate the new game more from the existing; or absent that, offer people incentives to stay with the old game for some period. Even if the character status couldn't be copied over, maybe some set of daily play points that could -- e.g., play an hour a day in TSW and earn in-game starter cash for the SWL. It's also possible that there's no business case for it; maybe they're not shutting the old game down completely just to avoid the excessively bad PR that would create. In that scenario, they don't care much about current players of TSW because they are not the target clientele of the new game. They're too few and won't like the new game anyway, and they just want them to not make a big public stink over it.