Author Topic: The Secret World/Secret World Legends  (Read 156473 times)

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
Re: The Secret World
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2012, 06:08:10 PM »
On the loader, as it's updating, one of the ads is for some kind of super speed or super run that is available from their store. I haven't let the loader finish running the update, though, because I was impatient to get into a game, and the update was lagging the game I actually could play. (WoW and CO were the only games I have installed that didn't need some kind of update, so I ended up bouncing back and forth between them.)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

faith.grins

• Boss
  • Split your lungs with blood and thunder.
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2012, 03:26:03 AM »
One thing perhaps worth noting. The game has no fast travel system like WoW's flightpaths or Guild Wars' waypoints, but at the same time it sort of does. See, when you die you can choose which anima well you respawn at from any of the ones you've discovered in the current zone. Additionally, there's a /reset slash command that will instantly kill you, and the game has no notable death penalty. Respawning at an anima well costs a small amount of money, if I remember rightly. I doubt it's intended, but you can combine all that for a sort of fast travel.
Death carries a penalty in that it causes damage to your gear.  If your gear takes too much damage (I believe 10 deaths is the magic number) it breaks, and won't work until it is repaired, which costs monies.

At one point, all the gear in your inventory was damaged when you died.  I think they've changed it so that it's only what you have equipped, which makes it much more reasonable.  On the other hand, vendors who can repair your gear are not near very many respawn points, so that's an incredibly risky "fast travel" system to use.
Aram:  "Man, just look at all this.  Sometimes it's hard to believe that we get to live surrounded by such wonder."
Gamal:  "We don't live over there." Aram:  "We don't?"
Gamal:  "No.  We live over there." Aram:  "... But it's all on fire."
Gamal:  "Yes it is, Aram.  Yes it is."

Dollhouse

• Boss
  • "What will happen? Will I dream?"
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2012, 05:12:46 AM »
Couple quick notes (I'll post something more extensive later...TSW is my "main" now).:

Travel is indeed a bit slow solo, but when you're teamed, you can use the "Meet Up" feature. Right-click on them  in the team list, select the Meet Up option and if they're near an anima well, they'll get sent a prompt to click...then you TP to that well.  You can also do it with someone you're not teamed with but have on your friends list via the same right-click method.

The game is graphically demanding, to be sure. I have a new system (but only a mid-range machine from CybertronPC), and it runs the game superbly. My previous laptop (which died anyway) was a disaster with TSW. Older systems that are still powerful do okay...less powerful ones, not so much.

There are some things I miss a whole bunch from CoH (obviously), but TSW is a terrific game in its own right. Unmatched writing and atmosphere building, for one...it's an immersion junkie roleplayer's dream.

Much more later...

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2012, 08:32:18 AM »
I've been playing 'The Secret World' since 1 Dec.

So far, going F2P has definitely helped the game.  I've actually seen more than 3 other people playing at one time.

Cobra Man

• Boss
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2012, 11:51:40 AM »
I've been playing 'The Secret World' since 1 Dec.

So far, going F2P has definitely helped the game.  I've actually seen more than 3 other people playing at one time.

Player numbers don't appear to be an issue with this game.

I've found that it does suffer from a slightly unfriendly teaming system, which includes several missions that you can only do when sol.

Fix those issues and it would improve the game significantly.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2012, 05:03:13 PM »
I may be on a low population server or everyone has moved on to the next zone.

I've only seen a couple of people attempting to build teams in the default channel.  I've only seen one 'full' notice.  Either that practice isn't common in TSW or they gave up or went with a partial team.

Botzo

• Minion
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2012, 06:25:21 AM »
I'm thinking of giving this a go soon. While teaming really is my preferred bread and butter, I'm interested to see how different it supposedly plays compared to most mmos. I'm kicking myself for not trying it when they still had their 3 day trial.

How is the general community? I've tried a few other mmos but  WoW was too Leet (as in if you don't have heirlooms everyone else grinded for eons ago you will never compare to them, even if you outperform them statistically) , Champions/DCUO too derpy ( quick to tell you that you're doing it wrong, slow to tell you how to do it right), and SWTOR felt forever alone.

City for me just felt like the place where dimwits and number-crunchers could coexist peacefully ( So long you don't spam knock backs left and right!)

beveri8469

• Boss
  • still inside atlas park hospital waiting to leave
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2012, 07:09:08 AM »
i like TSW, but man i have to turn everything down to low just to run it.
also just to be able to play without crashing is using Game Booster 3 to run it.
if i dont use GB3 i crash after a few mins playing.
want to get me a new alienware after the first of the yr so i can play it more.
@Eternal Twilight
Now in Paragon

GoreckiMike

• Minion
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2012, 11:23:45 PM »
Well maybe TSW is not so sucky. I just added my first Bozo Filter. Some WoW idiot who has his own opinion on How to use Your Own Powers - mention, the Chat channel does not filter Profanity.

Now, TSW does not contain a 1-to-1 comparative AT types. There are is no distinction between Tanks and Scrappers; OK. Healers are Terrible Hard to Build; you cannot find a Healer for a "Cloud in the Sky". There are no such AT's as Defenders or Controllers. But, there are Powers that do Buff/Debuff/Hold. So where we saw Distinct AT types, there are instead Bands of Powers that anyone can take to create such effects.

Additionally, IMHO, the Base Decks in TSW are bad. You do have to read each Power type, along with their Secondary effect and Roll your own Deck. Exp., Healers need a set of Melee and a Tier 1 set of Blood. Now being Tier 1, these powers are not very powerful. You have to Craft Talismans to to boost them, but you also have to survive until you can get Tier 2 Melee weapons. To be a good Tank, you also have to have Super Excellent Talismans.

I still find Teaming a great chore.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2012, 01:27:03 AM »
My play has been totally solo so far.  I've also gone back and started doing the missions offered by the earlier contacts.  I clearly made the game harder for myself after doing the missing persons mission and then taking missions, either found or from contacts, along the way.

Dollhouse

• Boss
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2012, 06:00:27 PM »
Well maybe TSW is not so sucky. I just added my first Bozo Filter. Some WoW idiot who has his own opinion on How to use Your Own Powers - mention, the Chat channel does not filter Profanity.

Yeah, I've had a few bad interaction, but not too many. Overall, the community is helpful and comparatively adult (one of the best things about CoH, too). There are two people on my ignore list, and I've reported one person for griefing in the time I've played.

Now, TSW does not contain a 1-to-1 comparative AT types. There are is no distinction between Tanks and Scrappers; OK. Healers are Terrible Hard to Build; you cannot find a Healer for a "Cloud in the Sky". There are no such AT's as Defenders or Controllers. But, there are Powers that do Buff/Debuff/Hold. So where we saw Distinct AT types, there are instead Bands of Powers that anyone can take to create such effects.

Agreed. You can build decks that effectively make the character a "tank," "healer," or "DPS," but the way the abilities work, making a CoH style Defender or Controller really doesn't work. You can put together a deck that works a lot like a Corrupter, though: DPS-oriented, but with abilities selected to maximize the game's available de-buffs. A lot of abilities, particularly in Tier 2 of each type, place the target in a "state" that subsequent attacks exploit.

Additionally, IMHO, the Base Decks in TSW are bad. You do have to read each Power type, along with their Secondary effect and Roll your own Deck

Definitely. The only reason to pay any attention to the default decks available is to get the associated costume (by getting all the abilities in that deck...but not necessarily slotting them). Most of them are terrible. Better to learn the abilities and oll your own.

I want to point out that it's no big deal to make incorrect ability picks or skill point expenditures. No, you can't respec...but both Ability Points and Skill Points come fast, especially as you start moving into the more difficult zones. Eventually, your character will max every skill line (this actually happens pretty fast) and get every ability (over 500...this takes a while!). The IC idea is that the character becomes something of a magical polymath, a grandmaster, if you will. OOC, it means that you can assemble a deck you think will be best suited to any given game situation. You can save a good number of decks to enable one-click switching, too (out of combat only, of course). You'll use a lot of in character storage space for talismans and weapons if you really mix things up, but there's an effectively unlimited amount of that (you buy additional space with in-game currency,not real money in the cash shop...).

Allotrion

• Underling
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2012, 03:09:14 PM »
I'm still in search of my new home but am hopeful that The Secret World will fill that void.  Since Sunset I've returned to SWTOR where I have a RL friend but our play hours never seem to fall in line so it's still a solo experience for me.  I'll keep this on my computer and will return to it on occasion but I'm definitely not investing tons of time into it.

I've also tried CO (again) and my reaction to it was not good (again).  Imagine touching a hot stove...with your eyeballs.

I tried LOTRO and got a LoreMaster up to lvl 14 or so.  Not too shabby for a totally free game.  Very WoW'ish.  Will keep at it from time to time and hope to make some acquaintances there, but I don't have high hopes for it.

And finally, I tried TSW.  I am cautiously optimistic that this will be the game for me.  The graphics are tremendous!  And my computer can handle it just fine, no lag so far...woot!  The idea of a free form build is great in theory but it has required a hell of a lot of research outside of the game, ie forums, wiki, youtube, just to get an idea of what I want to be.  I definitely am bordering on paralysis by analysis on this.  I'll get through it but my fear, due to lack of knowledge, is how to course correct if I don't necessarily enjoy the powerset I've selected.  I ultimately left the Illuminati training room with an Assault Rifle slung on my back and picked up a shotgun after helping poor Andy the Police Officer with his bullets.  Reverting back to my altitis, I then rolled a Dragon to try the Hammer/Blade/Chaos powers. 

If I'm allowed to ramble a bit more, and of course I am since this is a forum, I wanted to add that I was positively giddy when I left the tutorial in TSW and zoned into the main hub where people are just waiting around spamming LFM/LFG/Need DPS/Tank/Healer/whathaveyou.  I didn't think I would be so happy to see so many teams forming.  I had to stop myself from broadcasting "I don't know my ass from my elbow, but I would love to join a team!".  This gives me great hope that once I get semi comfortable with the powers, I will be able to interact with other people, which is...err, was (ouch)... something i loved about CoH. 

That's all I have for now, thanks for reading and hope to see some of you online.  I can be found as John "Allotrion" Stoik, or Alan "AshaManCoH" Mandragoran, both are on the RP server (Arcadia?).  I would greatly enjoy speaking with CoH Refugees over there.  And yes, I will attempt to join the CoH Refugee channel on TSW as soon as I figure out how.

GoreckiMike

• Minion
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2012, 06:04:41 PM »
Another thing I do not like is that of having ONLY 3 Character slots. They went F2P and I can buy 1 mreo slot, but ONLY 1.

Blaster - Assassin, Blood & Pistols & Subversion
Corrupter - Pandemonist, Element & Blood & Turbulence
Brute - Neoshaman, Chaos & Blood & Provoke

Healer - Custom, Fists & Blood & ???

Diellan

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • SG/VG Site
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2012, 06:34:08 PM »
I've been playing this since Beta and loving every minute. I have some complaints about the powers balance, but the atmosphere and story is fantastic.

I'm also starting to pick at the data files and theorycrafting in order to make a character builder there.

-Lorenzo "Ostiarius" Mondavi

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2012, 09:40:30 PM »
Healer - Custom, Fists & Blood & ???

I dunno if it's changed in the several months I haven't played, but last I played fists on its own was a pretty good healing build. I typically stuck a shotgun in the other shot for breaching shot and its groupwide buff.

8 Ball

• Underling
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2012, 10:03:08 PM »
Just got into it a few days ago myself, barely into kingsmouth yet (rerolled after I had a horrible initial experience with AR) Love the tone, look & backstory sofar, quickie noob question...at what point can I take both a melee & ranged ability? Is it fairly early on? I rolled Sword as it seems fairly simple but I wouldn't mind some ranged backup :)

Dollhouse

• Boss
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2012, 10:56:08 PM »
Just got into it a few days ago myself, barely into kingsmouth yet (rerolled after I had a horrible initial experience with AR) Love the tone, look & backstory sofar, quickie noob question...at what point can I take both a melee & ranged ability? Is it fairly early on? I rolled Sword as it seems fairly simple but I wouldn't mind some ranged backup :)

Yes, now that you've made it to Kingsmouth, you can add a ranged ability at any time: just spend the SP (skill points) and AP (ability points) on it and find or buy a weapon to match. You have two weapon slots, and can add active abilities from both to your bar. Same for passives, although there's actually more freedom with passives, as you don't have to have the weapon associated with that set slotted to use many passives. So you can grab something from a completely different part of the wheel from the ones you have weapons slotted for, and they'll work.

Also, if you get further in and find you've made another choice you regret, don't worry about re-rolling. SP and AP come fast (especially once you're off off Solomon Island, the first three zones). You'll eventually get every skill bought to QL10 and have every power in the wheel if you keep playing a character. The system is designed to allow a character to radically change direction.

8 Ball

• Underling
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2012, 02:12:21 AM »
Thanks, managed to get a couple hours in tonight and got deeper into the storyline, as a side note rerolling to sword was an excellent idea, felt a lot more powerful than AR intially did, picked up some pistols for a bit of ranged abilities.

I'm actually really enjoying the game sofar, first time I think I've felt a real sense of dread in a MMO as a horde of zombies raced towards me.

faith.grins

• Boss
  • Split your lungs with blood and thunder.
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2012, 08:16:37 AM »
Same for passives, although there's actually more freedom with passives, as you don't have to have the weapon associated with that set slotted to use many passives.
Take note:  an overwhelming majority of passives do not work that way.  Those that do will typically say so.  (Or come from one of the three "green" skill trees, which aren't particular to a certain weapon type in the first place.)  The only example I can think of off the top of my head is a passive in Blood which increases the damage of your DoTs.  Which... while technically you don't need Blood to benefit from that, most of the DoTs in the game are from Blood.

Thanks, managed to get a couple hours in tonight and got deeper into the storyline, as a side note rerolling to sword was an excellent idea, felt a lot more powerful than AR intially did, picked up some pistols for a bit of ranged abilities.

I'm actually really enjoying the game sofar, first time I think I've felt a real sense of dread in a MMO as a horde of zombies raced towards me.
With regard to melee vs. ranged, keep in mind that Ranged Weapon resources are built on individual enemies, while Melee Weapon resources just build on you.  Dropping an enemy with 5 Pistol resources on it means you lose those resources, but you'll keep those Sword Resources until you spend them, so if you've got a choice between a Sword finisher and Pistols finisher, use the Pistols one.  (Magic Weapon resources also build on you, but they "decay" outside of combat.  As such, melee weapons open stronger than Ranged or Magic, which is the major trade off you get for being melee.  You aren't inherently tougher, or deal more damage, you just have a better opening combo.)
Aram:  "Man, just look at all this.  Sometimes it's hard to believe that we get to live surrounded by such wonder."
Gamal:  "We don't live over there." Aram:  "We don't?"
Gamal:  "No.  We live over there." Aram:  "... But it's all on fire."
Gamal:  "Yes it is, Aram.  Yes it is."

Allotrion

• Underling
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2012, 01:52:26 PM »

I completely agree with you.  This was my first interaction with the zombies:

**I was strolling along, "oh look zombies, I'll just pick them off at range while they amble over trying to get me.  Hah, stupid zombies".**  BamBam...oh holy mother of ***, RUN, RUN!  :gonk:

I expected The Walking Dead zombies, not 28 Days Later zombies.   ;D