Author Topic: The villain inside  (Read 3575 times)

crayehal

• Minion
The villain inside
« on: December 11, 2012, 05:46:43 AM »
So I was doing a mission in Lynx fold in Canada and I was hidden among some rocks when I see this guy agro a mob and then run over and agro another mob.  I'm thinking, "wow, he must be pretty strong!  He's herding them and killing them all together."
Before I get a chance to browse his character info, he runs away from the mob and dies. After he vanishes, I check out the mobs to see if he managed to ding em and see that they are half-way dead. 
I look around
>.>
<.<
Then I cheerfully slaughter his mob before he got back from the spawn point. >:D
CO may put me in a hero skin, but there's still the villain inside...

faith.grins

• Boss
  • Split your lungs with blood and thunder.
Re: The villain inside
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 06:25:40 AM »
/em rubs hands together
Eeeeeexcellent!
Aram:  "Man, just look at all this.  Sometimes it's hard to believe that we get to live surrounded by such wonder."
Gamal:  "We don't live over there." Aram:  "We don't?"
Gamal:  "No.  We live over there." Aram:  "... But it's all on fire."
Gamal:  "Yes it is, Aram.  Yes it is."

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 03:07:00 AM »
well when a hero dies for biting off more than they can chew, I say any mob left is free game.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 04:04:40 PM »
I tend to jump in and try to save people who do that... maybe I'm just a do-gooder at heart.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 08:19:56 PM »
I tend to jump in and try to save people who do that... maybe I'm just a do-gooder at heart.

I leave them to their own. Don't need them barking at me for messing up their fight or interfering with something they wanted to do and or test on their own or worse kill stealing while they are alive

The most I will do to save them is maybe heal them and leave them alone.

Plus I hate when people kill steal/interfere while I'm actively fighting. If I die, then by all means as more than likely the mob will regenerate by the time I return anyways or if I return. So I just do to them what I prefer done to me. I figured I at least owe them that much.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 07:26:00 AM »
I know I've had nothing good to say about the CO community (in the week following the announcement, they were discussing how to recognize us, like some kind of MMO Scarlet Letter), but someone was healing my on Friday. Maybe it was someone from CoH, but it wasn't a name I saw on the CoX channel.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

crayehal

• Minion
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 09:21:45 AM »
I know I've had nothing good to say about the CO community (in the week following the announcement, they were discussing how to recognize us, like some kind of MMO Scarlet Letter)
It can't be helped.  Their forum is littered with posts whining about CO with inevitable CoH comparisons.  With Past rivalry + whining posts, I don't blame them for their behavior.  Also, it's only recently with Alerts that CO folks are teaming more.  So now those used to just soloing actually have to talk/deal with other players.  Then add a sudden influx of CoH players who are more used to interacting with others, I'm guessing it's just blowing their minds.
I did get a compliment on my glacier:  'Wow, a tank that can actually hold agro!'
I was grateful for the compliment, but that got me thinkin, is that so rare?  WTH have other tanks been doing?

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 11:06:24 PM »
It can't be helped.  Their forum is littered with posts whining about CO with inevitable CoH comparisons.  With Past rivalry + whining posts, I don't blame them for their behavior.  Also, it's only recently with Alerts that CO folks are teaming more.  So now those used to just soloing actually have to talk/deal with other players.  Then add a sudden influx of CoH players who are more used to interacting with others, I'm guessing it's just blowing their minds.
I did get a compliment on my glacier:  'Wow, a tank that can actually hold agro!'
I was grateful for the compliment, but that got me thinkin, is that so rare?  WTH have other tanks been doing?

Yeah the COX community was not exactly nice and had nice things to say about CO in the past, and for some even now. I've seen some outright insulting things and rude remarks about CO on the forums and even in game (and no not mostly on Freedom server) prior to Aug. 31st. I remember when CO went live and the flack that many people caught when they said they was going to try out CO. That was only about three years ago when CO went live. Probably just some left over animosity. Not to mention, the constant "Oh this sucks because this isnt how COX did it." or "CO is doing it wrong because COX did it this way." or "CO sucks because in COX we was able to do *this and that*" and etc coming from some ex-COX players in the zone chat channels. Ironically not so much i nthe actual COX channel over there on CO but in Zone Channel, every other minute someone is complaining about how CO sucks because it's not like COX or COX is better because it did this or COX had this why dont CO have it. Champions Online is not COX, it never was, never will be. No game will be COX, because COX is COX. It was it's own animal. A good one at that, but there is nothing like it. Dogging out CO on the COX game, ok it's COX. But when it's in CO and people are still dogging it out, it tends to draw ire just as if someone was in (and has) in COX constantly dogged COX because it's not like WoW or Wow did it this way so COX should do it that way and etc. And like many COX players said to that guy, "Well then why are you here if the game sucks so much?" The same applies to ex-COXers that are constantly dogging out CO on their own game and the same reaction.

faith.grins

• Boss
  • Split your lungs with blood and thunder.
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 02:49:59 AM »
Meh.  I rag on CO when I'm on it if I feel like I have a legitimate criticism to air.  Like not understanding its tanking mechanics.  (And this comes from someone who had an Uncrushable Paladin tank in WoW, back when "uncrushable" was a thing you needed to know in order to tank in WoW, and it wasn't even a term ever used in-game.)

I've tried CO twice before, and now that it's the closest thing I've got to a "fix," I find myself begrudgingly giving it another go, but I'm constantly reminded why it never took in the first place, and a lot of that has to do with a massively unintuitive design.  It does some things really right, and it does some things really, really wrong, and I am not shy about pointing out which is which.

But that's the Vigilante in me talking, I guess.
Aram:  "Man, just look at all this.  Sometimes it's hard to believe that we get to live surrounded by such wonder."
Gamal:  "We don't live over there." Aram:  "We don't?"
Gamal:  "No.  We live over there." Aram:  "... But it's all on fire."
Gamal:  "Yes it is, Aram.  Yes it is."