Author Topic: An 'app' request - Coordinate Maps  (Read 2832 times)

Samuraiko

• Honorary Paragon Dev and
  • Elite Boss
  • EVERYONE LOOK AWESOME - I'M FILMING!
    • The Wandering Crane
An 'app' request - Coordinate Maps
« on: December 11, 2012, 09:26:33 PM »
I'm sure SOMEONE in this group can figure out how to do this...

In both RIFT and LotRO, when you go to the larger-scale map views, as you mouse over the map, the coordinates change. It would be really nice to have something like this for, at the very least, the zone maps. While Cameraman and whatnot do give coordinates, it'd be a bit more convenient to have a good starting point for the demofile, and then go in to fine-tune it.

For example, using the most zoomed-in map available (like what Vidiotmap/Badge-Hunter used to post), I could select, say, Atlas Park, and then as I mouse over the map, a little window at the bottom corner shows the changing coordinates of my mouse. This way, I could go, "Okay, I want to put someone right near Wentworth's", mouse over to just outside Wentworth's, get its X/Y coordinates and then go from there.

Another handy reason for this is because the X/Y coordinates aren't always nicely lined up on some maps, so trying to 'guesstimate' can suck.

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite
The game may be gone, but the videos are still here...
http://www.youtube.com/samuraiko
http://cohtube.blogspot.com

therain93

• Elite Boss
Re: An 'app' request - Coordinate Maps
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 09:48:52 PM »
I'm sure SOMEONE in this group can figure out how to do this...

In both RIFT and LotRO, when you go to the larger-scale map views, as you mouse over the map, the coordinates change. It would be really nice to have something like this for, at the very least, the zone maps. While Cameraman and whatnot do give coordinates, it'd be a bit more convenient to have a good starting point for the demofile, and then go in to fine-tune it.

For example, using the most zoomed-in map available (like what Vidiotmap/Badge-Hunter used to post), I could select, say, Atlas Park, and then as I mouse over the map, a little window at the bottom corner shows the changing coordinates of my mouse. This way, I could go, "Okay, I want to put someone right near Wentworth's", mouse over to just outside Wentworth's, get its X/Y coordinates and then go from there.

Another handy reason for this is because the X/Y coordinates aren't always nicely lined up on some maps, so trying to 'guesstimate' can suck.

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite
Oh goodness, if the vidiot/mini-maps had coordinates, that would make like so tremendously easier, even if it was just the 4 external corners.
@Texarkana - March 5, 2004 - December 1, 2012 -- Imageshack |-| Youtube
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't know what it's like.... |-| Book One. Chapter one...

Tiriahna KnightRose

• Underling
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 12:11:41 AM »
Could you even check-in on facebook? That would be awesome.

Hotaru

• Lieutenant
  • Just a demo-loving fool in the Far East...
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 01:12:18 AM »
Not an app, but a project was started shortly before the end of the game to archive similar info:
http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,6301.0.html

I know I grabbed corner points for some maps I thought were interesting, though I have yet to pass the info along.

therain93

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 12:11:43 PM »
Thinking on this more, someone might be able to link up the various badge/npc location coordinates in the wiki to the maps as a bit of an offline reference.  I haven't looked at the vidiots maps to know how they actually worked so I can't really comment further.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

therain93

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 12:12:28 PM »
Not an app, but a project was started shortly before the end of the game to archive similar info:
http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,6301.0.html

I know I grabbed corner points for some maps I thought were interesting, though I have yet to pass the info along.

That's pretty cool -- I'll have to check it out later.