Author Topic: Warts and all?  (Read 2640 times)

Hotaru

• Lieutenant
  • Just a demo-loving fool in the Far East...
Warts and all?
« on: December 12, 2012, 08:08:25 AM »
I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but I have to ask anyway. When writing up the alignment tip missions, I should be writing exactly what it said, spelling errors, punctuation errors, continuity errors and all, correct?

Because in some of these missions, there are a LOT of these. I'm not talking about using commas instead of semicolons, since pretty much every single tip mission is guilty of that. I mean accidentally boldfacing the better part of a paragraph:
http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Mission:Tip_-_Death_Threat

Changing the target's name from Maxwell West to Maxwell Green mid-intro:
http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Mission:Tip_-_Oldest_One_in_the_Book

And about a half dozen words missing or out of order before you even get to the mission door in this one:
http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Mission:Tip_-_A_Well-Used_Playbill
 Originally thinking this was something you, you're about toss the magazine away...
Head over to the warehouse that's acting as the 'set' and get to straight the rescuing those 'hostages'.
If you're going to be a media sensation, head over to the warehouse that's acting as the 'set' and get to straight to rescuing those 'hostages'.

So, just so we're all on the same page, I simply transcribe this stuff warts and all, right?

avelworldcreator

• Elite Boss
  • Missing Worlds Media co-founder/senior developer.
    • Basketcase Software
Re: Warts and all?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 08:09:47 AM »
I would think so.
Missing World Media primary co-founder, senior developer, UI/UX acting lead, and software toolsmith.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 10:41:02 AM »
Generally we do transcribe the mission text as-is.  Sometimes we make minor corrections (like changing "thier" to "their" or "your crazy" to "you're crazy"), but no one is going to argue if you're copy/pasting directly from text as it appeared in the game (or transcribing from a screenshot).
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 01:49:22 PM »
Here are our guidelines (such as they are) for how to handle in game text: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Paragon_Wiki:Article_Guidelines#In-Game_Text

Generally, we do try correct grammar/spelling/formatting errors (though at times, that's been mildly controversial), and we note factual errors (if the contact says he's sending you to Skyway City, but the next mission is actually in Steel Canyon, we might add an {{EdNote}} noting such). Not everybody does it though and we're not always that consistent.

A more important thing to try to catch is to replace your character's name with {{Character}}. If they say "Hey Sekoia! I need your help!" we'd put in the article "Hey {{Character}}! I need your help!". {{Character}} is a template that styles the word "Character" in a way that makes it clear that it's a placeholder where a character's name would go.

However, by far the most important thing is getting the content up there. The above two points are lesser concerns, so if you skip those but provide the content, nobody should complain. After all, it's a wiki. Someone else can come through later and fix the errors and replace the character names if they feel it's important. Just providing the content is a huge amount of work and is really appreciated. :)

Hotaru

• Lieutenant
  • Just a demo-loving fool in the Far East...
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 11:15:49 PM »
Thank you for showing me how to do that with the character's name--that was next on my list of things to tackle. I was familiar with the format from other articles (being a longtime user before finally contributing now), but I'm still learning the templates. Yesterday, it was colored text. Today, {{Character}}. Now I'm cooking!