Author Topic: Disney bought MMO studio  (Read 19363 times)

Memorandum

• Minion
Disney bought MMO studio
« on: December 12, 2012, 08:42:46 AM »
Looks like we could have a chance.

http://allthingsd.com/20121210/disney-buys-s-korean-game-developer-studio-ex-for-push-into-asia/

I mean, at least it looks like they are interested now in MMO business. Otherwise they would not do this.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
Re: Disney bought MMO studio
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 09:01:26 AM »
I completely agree.

Especially since this is a 2D facebook and kids type game studio.  Doesn't even conflict with us.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

mikoroshi

• Boss
  • Author, Owner of Dogs
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 10:05:52 AM »
I, for one, cannot wait for City of Heroes: The Facebook Game.
If you see me posting here, you need to tell me to stop it and get back to writing.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 10:17:14 AM »

*shudder*  Rumor hath it that is one thing NCSoft is/was considering for the so-called "CoH2."  In fact the Korean Times reporter asked me about that very thing. 

This was my answer, which unfortunately did not make it into the article

8.  As you know, the gaming platform is moving from PC to mobile in recent years: can you see yourself, if NCsoft decides to preserve City and make it available on mobile, playing it on a smartphone?

First of all, this is a complete fallacy.  It is probably much more realistic to say that "gaming has expanded into mobile operations."  There are just as many expensive gaming PCs being used now as there ever were.  There are just as many PC gamers as there ever were.  Big, powerful PCs are not being sold as much as they were in the past, because PC gamers are not buying new computers, they are upgrading their existing ones instead.  If you want a real number of PC gamers, as opposed to what the "common impression" is, you should look at sales of advanced video cards, not PCs as a whole.

PC gaming is not going to go away, or even drop that much.  In fact, as those inclined to game in the West get older, they are MORE likely to move to PCs.  Quite frankly, for those of us who are older (I am 62), gaming on a small screen is next to impossible.  I need as big a display as I can afford.  I have tried even simple games on a smartphone, and never went past the free trial as they were impossible and frustrating.  Nor am I the only one to say this.  The older a player is, the MORE likely he is to want a powerful PC with a big display to game on.

Judging by the reaction from the players on the Titan Network, NONE of them would be even remotely interested in a 2D sidescrolling version of City of Heroes.  Apps for a phone--checking the Marketplace, for instance, or simple chat on one of your global channels--those would be welcome.  But the players reacted to the idea of a 2D sidescrolling City of Heroes with disgust--and at this point, frankly, if NCSoft offered the core playerbase free beer for a year and a brand new car with their game, we probably wouldn't buy it.  If this is NCSoft's plan, it is a very bad one.

There also seems to be a fallacious assumption in Korea that everyone has 4G connectivity with unlimited airtime.

No.

In the US there are very few places with 4G connectivity.  I can't get it for instance, anywhere in my area.  Even 3G isn't the norm.  In fact, at my house, I can only get 2G service, which only allows texting and phone calls.  And US customers have limited plans with limited airtime.  There are many recent news stories about parents who absent-mindedly handed their child their phone to play an online game to keep him busy only to find themselves with a shockingly high bill at the end of the month.  This was not a bill for the game, which was free to play--it was a bill for the data download.  Many people have been switching to texting rather than calling, despite the fact that texting is less convenient because unlimited texting is still cheaper than using phone minutes.

The hype about smartphone games ignores this.  Evidently the writers of this hype live in an alternate universe, where 4G service is everywhere and costs nothing, rather than the reality I live in, where 4G service is confined to large cities, and data plans begin at $30 a month extra, with additional charges for every meg downloaded over 2GB a month.  ($30 for 2GB per month, $50 for 5GB, and $80 for 10GB.)

I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

mikoroshi

• Boss
  • Author, Owner of Dogs
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 10:23:27 AM »
Sarcasm doesn't carry well on the internet.  I concur with you wholeheartedly.

(And I swear I've read that exact segment before, you sure it didn't make it in?)
If you see me posting here, you need to tell me to stop it and get back to writing.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 11:09:58 AM »

I find your lack of Facebook... disturbing.

Vasarto

• Boss
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 11:52:03 AM »
This is Fantastic news to hear. Because now its not just a chance Disney is taking. Its already a part of their plan.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 12:41:29 PM »
Sarcasm doesn't carry well on the internet.  I concur with you wholeheartedly.

(And I swear I've read that exact segment before, you sure it didn't make it in?)

You did, I posted the unabridged interview elsewhere on the Save Paragon City section.

mikoroshi

• Boss
  • Author, Owner of Dogs
    • My Twitter
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 12:52:52 PM »
You did, I posted the unabridged interview elsewhere on the Save Paragon City section.

Thanks for clarifying.  I thought I was either declining further into insanity, developing latent psychic abilities, or both.

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 01:56:58 PM »
Thanks for clarifying.  I thought I was either declining further into insanity, developing latent psychic abilities, or both.

Nothing in this thread debunks that theory, so don't worry or feel too sane! :D
Woo! - Argent Girl

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 02:12:15 PM »
I was actually kind of proud of this line--

at this point, frankly, if NCSoft offered the core playerbase free beer for a year and a brand new car with their game, we probably wouldn't buy it.

I wish that had made it in.

Surelle

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 02:25:14 PM »
The articles all say they're wanting to break into the Asian market, though.

Have they said anything about wanting more MMOs in NA too?  Because CoH unfortunately really bombed in Asia.  They just don't "get" superheroes there.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 03:45:15 PM by Surelle »

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 02:57:35 PM »
"free beer for a year and a brand new car with their game, we probably wouldn't buy it."

Um... a free beer, no, it's not a good investment, but a brand new car for $15 a month and then they cancel the game after a year because it siphoned with a great amount of negative pressure?

Maybe.  The problem is the USGiverment considers the cars a gift, and you'll be paying the appropriate taxes on gains with that.  Still, if that was the only thing, plus $15 a month for just a year to get a *brand new car!* </tpirvoice> ?

Well...  .o/

/I sorry, it's just good business sense to say 'yep, count me in on the nearly costless new car...'
//Of course, it depends on if it's a good car or, oh, I dunno... a new Yugo maybe? 

mikoroshi

• Boss
  • Author, Owner of Dogs
    • My Twitter
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 03:36:49 PM »
Nothing in this thread debunks that theory, so don't worry or feel too sane! :D
MWAHAHAHA

Celtic Lass

• Minion
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2012, 05:13:26 PM »
The articles all say they're wanting to break into the Asian market, though.

Have they said anything about wanting more MMOs in NA too?  Because CoH unfortunately really bombed in Asia.  They just don't "get" superheroes there.

A valid point unfortunately.  I remember the Asian launch all too well ( http://youtu.be/RcfZgXG3Sjw ).  But I will keep on hoping no matter what.
"Yes, and then I'm going to marry Bob Dole and raise penguins in Guam."

Globetrotter

• Boss
  • I am a still Hero and This is what I do!
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2012, 05:26:29 PM »
A valid point unfortunately.  I remember the Asian launch all too well ( http://youtu.be/RcfZgXG3Sjw ).  But I will keep on hoping no matter what.

I remember that trailer too, but how did they really market the game over there? Did it even had a chance to prosper?
Gutta cavat lapidem, non vi, sed saepe cadendo.

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2012, 05:39:54 PM »
I remember that trailer too, but how did they really market the game over there? Did it even had a chance to prosper?

It never really got out of the gate. Other than that vid and a few other small things, NCSoft just really didn't put much of an effort into it.
As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

IronSkull

• Underling
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2012, 07:49:45 PM »
//Of course, it depends on if it's a good car or, oh, I dunno... a new Yugo maybe?

Honestly, has anything with a "Made in Korea" Sticker been too good?

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2012, 03:36:52 AM »
"free beer for a year and a brand new car with their game, we probably wouldn't buy it."

Um... a free beer, no, it's not a good investment, but a brand new car for $15 a month and then they cancel the game after a year because it siphoned with a great amount of negative pressure?

Maybe.  The problem is the USGiverment considers the cars a gift, and you'll be paying the appropriate taxes on gains with that.  Still, if that was the only thing, plus $15 a month for just a year to get a *brand new car!* </tpirvoice> ?

Well...  .o/

/I sorry, it's just good business sense to say 'yep, count me in on the nearly costless new car...'

Knowing NCSoft it would be a TaTa

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2012, 03:49:11 AM »
Other than that vid and a few other small things, NCSoft just really didn't put much of an effort into it.

They were just trying to be consistent across the franchise.
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

Vasarto

• Boss
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2012, 03:51:24 AM »
Between this and NCSOFT Selling off its Western Market to anyone who will buy it I am very hopeful that we will get our game and community back very soon.

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2012, 04:48:51 AM »
That's not what NCSoft has done. They'll still own it.
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2012, 04:55:28 AM »
Between this and NCSOFT Selling off its Western Market to anyone who will buy it I am very hopeful that we will get our game and community back very soon.

What they did is disband what they had, then reorganize it all in one place, and sell it to themselves.

They never let nor intend to let anyone else in on the deal.

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2012, 07:43:22 AM »
What they did is disband what they had, then reorganize it all in one place, and sell it to themselves.

They never let nor intend to let anyone else in on the deal.
This misleading is thanks to a certain website that restricted itself to saying "NCSoft is selling NC Interactive Inc." without much more information. Other news did get all the story that you're telling though.
Yeeessss....

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2012, 12:04:08 PM »
However they did set a value point at $70 million for the entire operation.

So how much would ONE game now closed and gone be worth? I am betting you could pressure them now to sell at under the $10 million they bought it for.

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2012, 07:45:47 PM »
However they did set a value point at $70 million for the entire operation.

So how much would ONE game now closed and gone be worth? I am betting you could pressure them now to sell at under the $10 million they bought it for.

That is a point I raised elsewhere; if the entire subsidiary is only worth $70M, then they're going to have to put a much more reasonable price on the CoH IP than the $80M I heard bandied around as the asking price that NCSoft quoted in the earlier lack-of-good-faith negotiations (or lack thereof).

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2012, 09:13:36 PM »
That is a point I raised elsewhere; if the entire subsidiary is only worth $70M, then they're going to have to put a much more reasonable price on the CoH IP than the $80M I heard bandied around as the asking price that NCSoft quoted in the earlier lack-of-good-faith negotiations (or lack thereof).

Logic would dictate this.

But if they dont want to sell, they dont have to - and they dont need to be reasonable.

"How much do you want for your car?"

"I love my car. 1 billion dollars."
Woo! - Argent Girl

IronSkull

• Underling
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2012, 10:20:30 PM »
"How much do you want for your car?"

"I love my car. 1 billion dollars."

"You may love this car, but it is collecting dust in your garage cause you quit caring to drive it"

See how the argument sounds then? :P

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2012, 10:38:38 PM »
"You may love this car, but it is collecting dust in your garage cause you quit caring to drive it"

See how the argument sounds then? :P

Counter argument: I don't care, I love my car. Now its 2 Billion.

(tongue in cheek)
Woo! - Argent Girl

Copper Cockroach

• Boss
  • Phoenix Project: 2D Art Lead
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2012, 11:36:24 PM »
Not the best analogy, 'cause if a car owner decides to stop driving his car, or puts it up for sale at a laughably exorbitant price, the only person affected is himself.

Rolling with the vehicular theme (*rimshot*), I'd compare it to public transportation: a service that tens of thousands of people were relying on has been callously discontinued, and its operators are now demanding ludicrous sums of money if the suckers... er, customers... want it restored.

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2012, 11:56:37 PM »
You win on making the analogy better suit the scenario :)

Mine was more to suit just one aspect, which kinda misses the point.
Woo! - Argent Girl

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2012, 12:27:21 AM »
Suddenly, this thread reminds me of streetcars.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2012, 03:13:41 AM »
Don't forget that if one side decides to actually make the amount OFFERED public--especially in Korea, where the stockholders live--the stockholders will then come to life and begin asking questions about why they property hasn't been sold--or, as happened in the past over such things, firing the CEO--

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2012, 05:19:32 AM »
I am ever glad that we have you on our side, VV :)

The more and more that you're able to influence Korean media, the more that I wonder how we might be able to get more of the Korean gaming scene behind us. Even if it's just one wave of #SaveCoH on twitter - or some equivilent - I think that could get some attention too.

Do you, or would anyone, know a way we could reach out to the community like that?
Woo! - Argent Girl

TigerKnight

• Underling
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2012, 12:37:13 AM »
Counter argument: I don't care, I love my car. Now its 2 Billion.

(tongue in cheek)

Just sayin this is why Tony decided that the problem was really selling NCsoft on the idea of selling that particular automobile.

"It's taking up room in your garage. Your wife thinks it's ugly. Soon you won't be able to drive it anymore cause you refuse to drive it at all. Think about the shiny new and potentially better car you could get to just sell that one to us for scrap." etc.....

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2012, 01:37:58 AM »
Just sayin this is why Tony decided that the problem was really selling NCsoft on the idea of selling that particular automobile.

"It's taking up room in your garage. Your wife thinks it's ugly. Soon you won't be able to drive it anymore cause you refuse to drive it at all. Think about the shiny new and potentially better car you could get to just sell that one to us for scrap." etc.....

And clearly, its a strong arguement. Just because you like owning it, you might like what you can get from NOT owning it even more.

As a hoarder (not the kind who cant get out of an apartment, I just have a hard time getting rid of things. Honestly, its more pack-ratty than disabling) I know how nice having things can be, but if they're just taking up space, or sitting on a shelf, you arent gaining the benefit you could gain from liberating yourself of this useless weight.

In other words, would anyone like my old Rock Band drum set...
Woo! - Argent Girl

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2012, 05:17:23 AM »
Relax, Kissie. If you can still see the floor, you're not a hoarder; you're just a packrat. ;)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2012, 05:19:24 AM »
unless she collects floors.....
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2012, 09:44:26 PM »

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2012, 02:23:54 AM »
Naw... I do have an Atari 2600 with no power adapter though!

I have E.T. AND Pac-Man for it!
Woo! - Argent Girl

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2012, 02:37:36 AM »
Speaking of, I got my Atari VCS/2600 when "Combat" was still the pack-in, and i still have a power adapter for it. You have E.T too eh? I guess we have a couple copies that didn't end up in a landfill in New Mexico :D
... ^o^CORVUS^o^

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2012, 03:24:53 AM »
I guess we have a couple copies that didn't end up in a landfill in New Mexico :D

It's not my first copy, either!

Makes me question the full validity of that story, honestly.
Woo! - Argent Girl

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2012, 03:35:05 AM »
The landfill story may or may not be true.

What is certainly true is that in 1983 the game market crashed, and crashed hard, resulting a huge shakeout of the North American gaming industry. Smaller game companies, like US games and Imagic, closed down. Companies like Coleco and Magnavox got out of the console market. Games started getting marked down and put in clearance bins. Before it was over there were a lot of Atari carts that could be had for $1.00 or less, and the company had lost millions. Bot ET and the 2600 version of Pac-Man are often brought up in regards to the crash.

However, in Japan, the Famicom started making major money for Nintendo. They approached Atari in 1984 in a desire to market the system under the Atari name. However, due to a couple of snafu's, the deal went nowhere, and Nintendo decided to market it in the US themselves as the NES.

Gotta love history :D

... ^o^CORVUS^o^

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2012, 07:19:53 AM »
Naw... I do have an Atari 2600 with no power adapter though!

I have E.T. AND Pac-Man for it!

My 11 year old has my old Sears Pong, one of those "Atari consoles" with 50 games built in, and a Sega Genesis with two Sonic games (they play better that way) that he bought with birthday money. We love our legacy games in this house.

Warfdalic

• Underling
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2012, 10:12:00 PM »
MWAHAHAHA

A Yugo..... now theres a model i have no heard of for about 20 years!

This was not the quote i meant to quote... strange, i thought i clicked the right one

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2012, 02:21:57 AM »
Drowning Mona is one of my wife's favorite movies. If you don't immediately make the association, count yourself lucky.

Madadh

• Minion
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2012, 09:45:06 PM »
First of all, I agree with just about all of your comments on CoH2 for smartphones/facebook, etc.   Totally want a HUGE screen (er, 3 actually) hooked up to a PC that's the size of a suitcase I use for a 2 week trip...  And, 1 vid card ain't enough, better make it...  More..   But

Apps for a phone--checking the Marketplace, for instance, or simple chat on one of your global channels--those would be welcome.

If we can get CoH back, and get any new toys to go with, these are the toys I want.  Badly....  Smartphone auction house access, and global chat chan monitoring!!  OM, that would be awesome.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2012, 07:06:51 AM »
face book games... mobile games... game companies are in for a hard crash if they think this is actually profitable, the people at work play mobile games but only free ones, I've talked to countless people even in asia and they agree if they had to pay for a mobile game they wouldn't play it.

sad part is disney and other major game studios are now focused on this sort of mobile game development, I encourage you to look in most game company's jobs page for game designer/developer positions, you'll see "Game Developer (mobile)" and "game designer" (open it and the description says: "looking for a talented game designer who is focused on mobile game development")

no offense to all those companies but any game you make for mobile people will not buy, they will hack it and torrent it, no one is going to pay for a mobile game.. the reason? games are usually small and with poor graphics, most contain only 1 'level' most mobile games can be compared in both quality and concept to the average flash game found on newgrounds. the controls are very limited, I mean , very very limited leaving most 3d games as autoscrollers (giving the player almost no motor-controls for the character except maybe a jump a roll and side to side movement) it's like the equivalent of only having a joystick and no buttons.

people will not buy this.

people rarely even spend money on real PC/consol games, why? the quality has dropped substantially with all the excessive fadding and retcons and concept and context molestation. the game play has even begun to suffer in most games, too much realism makes superman bleed when he nicks himself with a shaver, and flying? pft! you can kiss that special ability goodbye.

my point, people only buy and play good games, if videogame companies are so lazy or incompetent that they can't make a good game and thier sales suffer (cause everyone illegally downloads it and plays it on PC)  so much to the point that they feel they need to take advantage of the recent boom of mobile gamers and try to market games to them, then I forsee the early 80's happening again.

Video Game Crash #2.

the first videogame crash was brought on by expensive systems with very few game titles, and the fact that a majority of the game titles had not been beta tested and were released for sale with game breaking glitches.

Nintendo fixed this with thier policy of "in order for you to publish for our system your game must be proven to work"

but now this next crash is coming because of a lack of quality and a steady degrasion of concept and context and a slow enlaming of gameplay. good graphics and a game that works and lots of titles may have caused a boom in the N64 PS- PS2 era but now gamers are getting wise. 1000 working games with crappy fad based gameplay and concept aspects might as well be worth 1 game of superior quality even if it does have a few bugs. thier sudden focus on mobile games is the last straw, I even saw the newest final fantasy will be a mobile exclusive title. I've talked with forums of thousands, they will not be buying that final fantasy title, nor any mobile title, they will only play the free mobile games.

game companies will regret thier focus on mobile platforms, and NCSoft will regret turning CoH into a mobile or flash game if they do.
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2012, 07:21:59 AM »
I've outlined this elsewhere, but yes, your points are correct and this is part of our pitch package.

What is also part of our pitch package is the "graying of America."  The big population bubble is getting older.  We old farts don't like playing on a tiny screen.  A lot of us don't much care for console games that require fine twitch control and combination moves, because, face it, we can't do them fast enough to prevent planting.

PC games will be making a resurgence if they are "senior friendly."  I guarantee that.

Ceremonius

• Lieutenant
  • Here we are now! Entertain us! ~Nirvana
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2012, 10:35:24 AM »
I've outlined this elsewhere, but yes, your points are correct and this is part of our pitch package.

What is also part of our pitch package is the "graying of America."  The big population bubble is getting older.  We old farts don't like playing on a tiny screen.  A lot of us don't much care for console games that require fine twitch control and combination moves, because, face it, we can't do them fast enough to prevent planting.

PC games will be making a resurgence if they are "senior friendly."  I guarantee that.

Not only a fakt for seniors! I smoke in front of my machine and I am sort of coffee addicted :D. Means I always need one hand to grab my cup or my cigarette. CoH was the perfect game. I was able to play it with just one hand instead of two (mousecontrols only or keyboard only) :).
That's tbh not possible in current games like dcuo or co. They are to action related to have such fine controls :).
And console games and mobiles? Yeah....I gave away my ps3 for free including stuff because I didn't used it and on my mobile...hmm...I emulate old Playstation One games on it or play games like scrabble or crosswords O.o
No Guts, No Glory! No Pain, No Gain!
One for all, all for one; Riders on the range!
No Guts, No Glory! We're taking a stand!
Ready to prove it again!
~Galaxy Rangers