Author Topic: Disney bought MMO studio  (Read 19362 times)

Vasarto

• Boss
Re: Disney bought MMO studio
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2012, 03:51:24 AM »
Between this and NCSOFT Selling off its Western Market to anyone who will buy it I am very hopeful that we will get our game and community back very soon.

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2012, 04:48:51 AM »
That's not what NCSoft has done. They'll still own it.
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2012, 04:55:28 AM »
Between this and NCSOFT Selling off its Western Market to anyone who will buy it I am very hopeful that we will get our game and community back very soon.

What they did is disband what they had, then reorganize it all in one place, and sell it to themselves.

They never let nor intend to let anyone else in on the deal.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2012, 07:43:22 AM »
What they did is disband what they had, then reorganize it all in one place, and sell it to themselves.

They never let nor intend to let anyone else in on the deal.
This misleading is thanks to a certain website that restricted itself to saying "NCSoft is selling NC Interactive Inc." without much more information. Other news did get all the story that you're telling though.
Yeeessss....

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2012, 12:04:08 PM »
However they did set a value point at $70 million for the entire operation.

So how much would ONE game now closed and gone be worth? I am betting you could pressure them now to sell at under the $10 million they bought it for.

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2012, 07:45:47 PM »
However they did set a value point at $70 million for the entire operation.

So how much would ONE game now closed and gone be worth? I am betting you could pressure them now to sell at under the $10 million they bought it for.

That is a point I raised elsewhere; if the entire subsidiary is only worth $70M, then they're going to have to put a much more reasonable price on the CoH IP than the $80M I heard bandied around as the asking price that NCSoft quoted in the earlier lack-of-good-faith negotiations (or lack thereof).

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2012, 09:13:36 PM »
That is a point I raised elsewhere; if the entire subsidiary is only worth $70M, then they're going to have to put a much more reasonable price on the CoH IP than the $80M I heard bandied around as the asking price that NCSoft quoted in the earlier lack-of-good-faith negotiations (or lack thereof).

Logic would dictate this.

But if they dont want to sell, they dont have to - and they dont need to be reasonable.

"How much do you want for your car?"

"I love my car. 1 billion dollars."
Woo! - Argent Girl

IronSkull

• Underling
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2012, 10:20:30 PM »
"How much do you want for your car?"

"I love my car. 1 billion dollars."

"You may love this car, but it is collecting dust in your garage cause you quit caring to drive it"

See how the argument sounds then? :P

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2012, 10:38:38 PM »
"You may love this car, but it is collecting dust in your garage cause you quit caring to drive it"

See how the argument sounds then? :P

Counter argument: I don't care, I love my car. Now its 2 Billion.

(tongue in cheek)
Woo! - Argent Girl

Copper Cockroach

• Boss
  • Phoenix Project: 2D Art Lead
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2012, 11:36:24 PM »
Not the best analogy, 'cause if a car owner decides to stop driving his car, or puts it up for sale at a laughably exorbitant price, the only person affected is himself.

Rolling with the vehicular theme (*rimshot*), I'd compare it to public transportation: a service that tens of thousands of people were relying on has been callously discontinued, and its operators are now demanding ludicrous sums of money if the suckers... er, customers... want it restored.

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2012, 11:56:37 PM »
You win on making the analogy better suit the scenario :)

Mine was more to suit just one aspect, which kinda misses the point.
Woo! - Argent Girl

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2012, 12:27:21 AM »
Suddenly, this thread reminds me of streetcars.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2012, 03:13:41 AM »
Don't forget that if one side decides to actually make the amount OFFERED public--especially in Korea, where the stockholders live--the stockholders will then come to life and begin asking questions about why they property hasn't been sold--or, as happened in the past over such things, firing the CEO--
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2012, 05:19:32 AM »
I am ever glad that we have you on our side, VV :)

The more and more that you're able to influence Korean media, the more that I wonder how we might be able to get more of the Korean gaming scene behind us. Even if it's just one wave of #SaveCoH on twitter - or some equivilent - I think that could get some attention too.

Do you, or would anyone, know a way we could reach out to the community like that?
Woo! - Argent Girl

TigerKnight

• Underling
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2012, 12:37:13 AM »
Counter argument: I don't care, I love my car. Now its 2 Billion.

(tongue in cheek)

Just sayin this is why Tony decided that the problem was really selling NCsoft on the idea of selling that particular automobile.

"It's taking up room in your garage. Your wife thinks it's ugly. Soon you won't be able to drive it anymore cause you refuse to drive it at all. Think about the shiny new and potentially better car you could get to just sell that one to us for scrap." etc.....

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2012, 01:37:58 AM »
Just sayin this is why Tony decided that the problem was really selling NCsoft on the idea of selling that particular automobile.

"It's taking up room in your garage. Your wife thinks it's ugly. Soon you won't be able to drive it anymore cause you refuse to drive it at all. Think about the shiny new and potentially better car you could get to just sell that one to us for scrap." etc.....

And clearly, its a strong arguement. Just because you like owning it, you might like what you can get from NOT owning it even more.

As a hoarder (not the kind who cant get out of an apartment, I just have a hard time getting rid of things. Honestly, its more pack-ratty than disabling) I know how nice having things can be, but if they're just taking up space, or sitting on a shelf, you arent gaining the benefit you could gain from liberating yourself of this useless weight.

In other words, would anyone like my old Rock Band drum set...
Woo! - Argent Girl

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2012, 05:17:23 AM »
Relax, Kissie. If you can still see the floor, you're not a hoarder; you're just a packrat. ;)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2012, 05:19:24 AM »
unless she collects floors.....
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2012, 09:44:26 PM »

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2012, 02:23:54 AM »
Naw... I do have an Atari 2600 with no power adapter though!

I have E.T. AND Pac-Man for it!
Woo! - Argent Girl